Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Will 2020 be the worst year ever for video games?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Oblivion is literally Morrowind, which isn't far off from Gothic.

:prosper:

Physics and destructible environments and such are definitely gonna be a cool thing of the incoming generation though, for sure.

Extenssive destructible environments have already been done amazingly since Bad Company 2 in 2010. One of the top competitive games of the last 5 years is R6 Siege whose destructability is a core gameplay feature. Even Black as far back as 2006 has better destrcution than any CoD. And destructible environments was the enitre gimmick of Red Faction which is from 2001!

In short the only reason more games don't have destructibility is because devs don't want it, not because they don't the tech, as the tech has existed for years now.

Last edited:

Lilliput McHammersmith

What did Fallout 3 push forward, other than the date of my inevitable suicide? It's literally Oblivion and Oblivion is literally Morrowind, which isn't far off from Gothic.

Physics and destructible environments and such are definitely gonna be a cool thing of the incoming generation though, for sure. I'm hoping new tech unlocks the potential for entirely new genres, in the way that stuff like dynamic lightning did (Thief is the obvious example).
Don’t forget he’s an actual Bethestard.

That being said, I don’t hate FO3 or Oblivion, but I’ve also never gotten very far in either of them because they’re bland and somewhat boring (nuking Megaton aside)

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I spent a little time looking at things and I'm not still not sure OP is wrong. People threw out 2005-13, but, I can't really say that's right. Indie adventure games were getting into the swing of things, the last remaining commercial adventure game companies were putting out some good stuff and there's quite a few RPG titles that people here don't mention at all. Which, of course is the problem, its telling if nobody remembers those games. This year? I kept looking up stuff and it was all betas and the one game that wasn't, Jorry, was crap that didn't deserve the time I put into it. What's the point of looking up new games if they're all in beta or crap?

J1M

Arcane
No, it's been fine so far:
- Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord (great, although you're right that it's a very obvious beta still)
- Desperados 3 (great)
- XCOM: Chimera Squad (far from perfect, but a fun diversion)
- Stellaris: Federations DLC
- Black Mesa (technically a 2020 release since it finally completed this year, good game)
- Gears Tactics (like with Chimera Squad, a bit simple but fun enough to be worth a playthrough)
- DOOM Eternal (decent enough)
- Resident Evil 3 Remake (decent)
- Half-Life: Alyx (haven't played it because i'm too poor to afford a headset, but playthroughs make it look reasonably fun for what it is)
- Command & Conquer: Remastered

There's also some games still to come:
- System Shock Remake (maybe?)
- Wasteland 3
- Iron Harvest
- Mafia Remake (very very wary of this but it deserves a chance)
- Flight Simulator 2020
- Oddworld: Soulstorm

Definitely better than most of the late 2010s, where I had trouble finding anything that looked interesting enough to play.
The only thing I'm excited to play on your list is the Mass Effect Trilogy.

Walden

Savant
2017 and 2019 were great years. 2021 will likely be great too, a lot of delays and good games on the radar. The only let-downs are the retarded console stuff, but at least we won't see a new medium defining game from ND. Hopefully.

No, really, they (2017 and 2019) were not great years. There were some games that were good, but most of them were niche and generally no exceptional RPG or otherwise single player game was released in those years. In terms of really good games and pushing the envelope, we got almost nothing. That's a fact. We got some indies, some me-too rpgs, the typical franchise continuations like Assassin's Creed etc etc.

The reality is that the most advancement this gen (2013-2021) in terms of game design happened around the late 2014-2016 timeframe. Afterwards we just got typical rehashes.

I have noticed something, console generations are very helpful at noticing the general trends of game design. 1 gen is the groundbreaking gen, and another is the "repeat the previous gen with more polish". Those kind of gens follow one another.

NES (8bit) gen: The start of your typical 2D platformers, top down zeldas, and pretty much most 2D styles of game began in this era
SNES (16 bit) : The same games as the NES era but with better sprites, more colors, and more paralax backgrounds.
Playstation (32bit era): The first truly 3D games, the first cinematic games, the first multimedia games, lots of new genres that didn't exist before
Playstation 2: A more polished Playstation with a DVD player. Most types of games were just PS1 games with better graphics, fewer new genres were developed.
Playstation 3: The HD generation. Lots of things changed this gen in game design, japanese developers took a backsit and western designers came from PC and established other styles of games, also the open world reigned supreme. We didn't get many new genres but we did get a radical game design approach in most genres.
Playstation 4: The HD generation+texture pack. We didn't get much improvement over the PS3 generation. Games are just more polished versions of the previous era. Every type of game that exists in the PS4 era can be found on PS3 as well, just with lower graphics.
Playstation 5: (speculation) we are going to get bigger and better developed open worlds, better physics, destructible environments, and in general the games will begin feel more like simulations and not just gamey. I believe that AI will be much more improved this gen also. Environments will feel organic, real, not just polygons with textures.

I think this gen is going to push the envelope in gaming a lot more than the PS4 gen did.
I think that more than design choices, in 2013-2014 thank god the indipendent scene got a new financial system, and that allowed a more heterogeneus and profound scenery and global offer. The years between 2005 and 2013 are one of the most repugnant deeds humankind achieved.

I really don't give a shit if now the useless average open world has more details or no loading screens, not my cup of tea. I'm looking forward to see a lot of indie studios, grown in these years, delivering some very interesting games.
I survived ps360wii era ( nds was an exceptional console though ), nothing scares me.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I can't think of many 2020 releases that really interest me (maybe Cyberpunk...but that footage they released is not encouraging).

This genuinely does not bother me in the slightest because when I look back at my favourite games almost none of them were anything I was anticipating the release of. In most cases I didn't hear of them until after release (often some time) and in some cases I knew of them but didn't really gain interest until years later.

For example, I'm currently playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance (2018), Pathfinder: Kingmaker (2018) and Ruiner (2017). These are all recent games but: KCD had no interest for me until I read the review here which convinced me that maybe it was worth a go (thanks PorkyThePaladin), Pathfinder looked "too vanilla" and then "too buggy" for me to ever take a look until I was finished being burned out on isometric stuff and Ruiner I only got interested in a little while ago.

As a result I don't hold out any hope whatsoever that I'm going to be able to predict which 2020 releases are going to have significance for me.

Moreover why punish yourself by paying full price and accepting the release quality of modern games? Is there something wrong with your impulse control?

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
troubleshooter came out this year; that's enough, right? it's initial appearance is decieving! i probably only enjoy 1, maybe 2 new games a year anyways

have my fingers crossed for Atom Trudograd..

compvet24

Educated
A good rule of thumb is to play games if they are still being talked about in a good light a month or so later, maybe longer. That way you can avoid full priced games, avoid bugs and avoid the hysteria built up by shills who are only paid before the game is released/ a few weeks after its release.

Erikkolai

Learned
A new soulslike has just entered early access. Seems pretty hardcore. :M

You're welcome, summer weebs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom