Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
A Farewell to Dragons (also known as Not the Time for Dragons) is also an obscure Russian RPG. It used to be available on Steam but no longer is. The store link leads nowhere.
From what I've read, it's very unfinished. Like, Lionheart level unfinished, only without its Barcelona. Should be available on the high seas, or at least it was last time I checked.

Yeah found it on Adventure Legends now. Yay.

It's not unfinished, but yes, quite buggy.

English version had a nasty bug, that prevented you from finishing the game - the last dialogue in the game bugged out, your account was deleted and saves seemed to vanish. They could be restored though. However, one can find a patch for that online.

V_K

Arcane
Hey fuckers, it's taken me ages to get through this thread, do you think I remember what's on the first page?
EsoHD2y.png

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Decker is amazing starting out. Nails that cyberpunk atmosphere perfectly. Starts off pretty good, you're a desperate hacker trying to sneak through systems, but the problem is that later on it feels the systems you are trying to break into are too strong for you to do so. Maybe I just sucked at the later stages, maybe I just went there too quickly. Would still recommend though.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have a physical copy of A farewell to Dragons somewhere. Got it for a few bucks in a mom and pop stor years ago.

Zandig Slaytanic

Educated
I went trough the thread and didn't see this old gem (I might have missed it though)

31702-dragonfire-the-well-of-souls-windows-front-cover.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIafV6AP3wE

It's a game based on the Swedish tabletop RPG Drakar och Demoner, something like our local version of DnD I guess you could say.
Not sure you can call it an actual RPG sadly, more of an isometric adventure point and click maybe.

From the same developer , ComputerHouse GBG AB, of the game Clans (aka Satanica).
Both games released in 1999 using the same game engine.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Hard to be a God have some ok parts it's way too long for it's own good. Main quest line too long, same problem as twitcher3 and DAO main quests.
And combat is repetitve like hell, just spam attack+block for 50h to the end.
There are better games to play, srsly.
Akella is not a stample of quality.

Dysterkvist

Novice
I went trough the thread and didn't see this old gem (I might have missed it though)

31702-dragonfire-the-well-of-souls-windows-front-cover.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIafV6AP3wE

It's a game based on the Swedish tabletop RPG Drakar och Demoner, something like our local version of DnD I guess you could say.
Not sure you can call it an actual RPG sadly, more of an isometric adventure point and click maybe.

From the same developer , ComputerHouse GBG AB, of the game Clans (aka Satanica).
Both games released in 1999 using the same game engine.

Had never heard of this one, thanks for the tip!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Dark Alliance 1-2 were ok, Champions of Norrath on the other hand were straight up great
Why does it reminds me Everquest for some reason?

I...don't know why.

101.jpg

I'd kind of forgotten Sony made Everquest. Weird they don't do more with it given how huge it once was.

They just stuck with Final Fantasy crap and forgot the rest of their IPs, like all these gigantic corporations.
Would like something else than another generic WoW clone.

Cael

Arcane
Dark Alliance 1-2 were ok, Champions of Norrath on the other hand were straight up great

I...don't know why.

101.jpg

I'd kind of forgotten Sony made Everquest. Weird they don't do more with it given how huge it once was.

They just stuck with Final Fantasy crap and forgot the rest of their IPs, like all these gigantic corporations.
Meh. 4th and 5th Editions were basically WoW on paper. If they have exported WoW clones to tabletop, what chance have you in getting a non-WoW clone MMO?

I...don't know why.

101.jpg

I don't know if that's the case. Final Fantasy isn't a Sony IP. It's probably because Everquest was a PC franchise. Champions of Norrath and Champions: Return to Arms seem to be about the only time they tried expanding Everquest beyond the MMORPGs on PC, (or even do anything with the series on a console) and that was back in the PS2 days. Maybe God of War fucked with things, and they just never saw a reason to do more with it on their consoles?

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
aaron hall, a dude who made a semi-famous 4X game that has a small and dedicated cult following, made a CRPG years ago. it kinda looks like a spiderweb software game. the name it has (dungeon odyssey) isn't too.. inspiring, but i am intrigued by the screenshots:

16_1.jpg

2_1.jpg

15_1.jpg

you can procure it here. i don't think you can actually *buy* it anywhere

http://www.legendsworld.net/adventure/game/7610

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I just noticed this game someone sent to LGR called "Wizardz & War-Lordz" that he uploaded to the archive:

https://archive.org/details/wizzardz_war_lordz

KjLrODn.jpg

This is basically a dungeon crawler for IBM PC. I tried it on DOSBox, though it was too fast (even at the lowest setting). Here are some screenshots i took:

Town menu:
ceLqWgM.png

Viewing the shop's items for sale (seems that everything is available and it has 114 item categories):
NOwGPxo.png

For each item there are several levels available:
L0uYdK3.png

Arming a character in the hotel:
tQr7LV9.png

Combat in the dungeon (there is only one dungeon apparently):
PdkEZdy.png

(note that DOSBox bugged out for me here, even though the image in the screenshot shows properly, the rendering was twice as tall as wide)

The game seems to have realtime exploration instead of turn based... which is a problem with DOSBox running too fast since i could barely see the dungeon walls for a second before getting attacked by something. However once combat starts, it becomes turn based. Interestingly, after you die (all characters reach 0 health) you do not get a game over screen but instead you are transferred back to the city from where you can pay the priest to resurrect you (if you have enough money - in my case i had barely enough to resurrect everyone).

But i think this game needs to be played using something like PCem or 86box emulating an actual IBM PC (or XT) machine as DOSBox is too fast and not precise enough for it (despite even trying the "dosbox fix" version in the archive).

Cute Knight is a game where you play... well... a cute knight.
https://hanakogames.itch.io/cute-knight
It has a sequel:
https://hanakogames.itch.io/cute-knight-kingdom

These are by papillon, i played the first one (Cute Knight) many years ago and it was nice (though a bit short, but i guess games like it are meant to be replayed several times). I haven't played the second.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom