Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Poseidon00

Arcane
Extremely useful. They are full-progression spellcasters, exactly like Wizards, Sorcerers, Clerics and Druids, so they gain a new spell level every two character levels and reach 9th level spells. The Bard spell lists offers healing spells, buffs, debuffs, utility spells, very strong crowd control and even a bit of damage. While in past editions Bards lacked strong spells at high levels, in 5E they can use stuff like Resurrection, Teleport, Polymorph and Forcecage (that may very well be the most broken spell in the entire game).

Bards also are extremely good with skills and their signature class feature, Bardic Inspiration, is incredibly strong: they can "give" an "inspiration die" (1d6 at first, but it grows with time and becomes 1d12 at level 15) to one of their companion, who can add that die to any d20 roll (skills, attacks and saving throws). This is an amazing feature because in 5th edition it's almost impossible to gain additional bonuses to your d20 rolls.

With the right subclass, a Bard can also be used as an extremely competent melee fighter.

I suppose in a generic system where everyone is the same, the jack of all trades ends up being the best at all of them.

Gyor

Savant
Major disappointment today when I found out that Solasta does not launch with all classes as well. Multiclassing gets more fun with more base classes since your options raise exponentially.
At least BG 3 plans to have all of them eventually, while Solasta looks like they will quit the project if they do not get the mainstream success they want.

I just want to play a Monk/Druid goddamnit

Larian has orders of magnitude more money then TA, so cut Solasta some slack. The Sorcerer is coming out right after in a DLC, it will be 7 out of 12 classes if you wait abit. The rest of the classes will likely come with the an expansion of the game, perhaps kickstarted. TA, makers of Solasta are a brand new company and their kickstarter went ok at best went it came to fundraising.

They don't have Larians coin but Solasta is ambitious in many ways. I have no doubt the rest will come in time and Solasta 2 will be even better then Solasta 1 because the foundation will already be built, just as it was with Owlcat going into Pathfinder 2 aka Wrath of the Righteous.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think Swen is being blackmailed into paying anything, Ontopoly is only trying to make him change the title.
Then lets unite behind him and each of us come forward and be brave,tell your swen muuutooo incident!
"#Metoo movement shocked: BG grognards claim Swen Vincke has collectively fucked them and abandoned them with BG3"

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I don't think Swen is being blackmailed into paying anything, Ontopoly is only trying to make him change the title.
And try to make him write an essay about why BG original series is amazing and why he recommends it to everyone over his own game, since it was obviously good enough that he threw away his own horrible series for it. Also it would be nice if he stopped making games, but live and let live, you know? I don't expect him to retire in his piles of soulless dollars just yet

But yeah, mostly just a title change and everything will be fine. I'll still shit talk his games for sucking, but it won't be something I take offence to. Or go out of my way to inspire the masses against

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Larian has orders of magnitude more money then TA, so cut Solasta some slack. The Sorcerer is coming out right after in a DLC, it will be 7 out of 12 classes if you wait abit. The rest of the classes will likely come with the an expansion of the game, perhaps kickstarted. TA, makers of Solasta are a brand new company and their kickstarter went ok at best went it came to fundraising.

They don't have Larians coin but Solasta is ambitious in many ways. I have no doubt the rest will come in time and Solasta 2 will be even better then Solasta 1 because the foundation will already be built, just as it was with Owlcat going into Pathfinder 2 aka Wrath of the Righteous.

At least there is some charisma utilising class in there then. Cha only as a Paladin stat is a joke. But these fags dont even want to implement multiclassing. 5e cuts down on the options you get while staying in a single class while having very generous and well balanced multi classing rules.
I cant see how any honest to god grognard is exited for Solasta over BG3 apart from the usual muh Indie which I am occassionally guilty of aswell.

Also Pathfinder Kingmaker has a fuckton of classes, content and multiclassing. More classes than 5e by default in fact.
I am not gonna get Solasta for this until multiclassing is patched or modded in.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Also Pathfinder Kingmaker has a fuckton of classes, content and multiclassing. More classes than 5e by default in fact.
It's the superior game.
We already know that PF:WotR is going to absolutely destroy this Larian travesty right out of the gate.
Anyone who disagrees basically outs themselves as a tasteless retard who likes to stomp around in puddles instead of swimming in oceans.

Cael

Arcane

At least there is some charisma utilising class in there then. Cha only as a Paladin stat is a joke. But these fags dont even want to implement multiclassing. 5e cuts down on the options you get while staying in a single class while having very generous and well balanced multi classing rules.
I cant see how any honest to god grognard is exited for Solasta over BG3 apart from the usual muh Indie which I am occassionally guilty of aswell.

I am not gonna get Solasta for this until multiclassing is patched or modded in.
Paladin needing Cha had always been a joke. In 1e, it was the only class requiring it, but the only ability it was tied to was Turn Undead, which the Clerics not only had but were better at. It was not until 3.x that Cha was tied to abilities unique to Paladins (and they introduced the Sorcerer...).

If you want to really make Cha useful, tie all casting potency to it (Int/Wis for maximum levels of spells castable for arcane/divine spells respectively; DC utilising Cha for all spellcasting). It would also mitigate the SAD that casters are notorious for, while other classes all suffer from MAD to certain extents.

User0001

Savant
It's the superior game.
We already know that PF:WotR is going to absolutely destroy this Larian travesty right out of the gate.
Anyone who disagrees basically outs themselves as a tasteless retard who likes to stomp around in puddles instead of swimming in oceans.

PF:K class building is its best feature, but the game has aspects worth being critical against like the AI, encounter design, map design. These are not issues, but rather components that need more work for the game to be more than a build testing software. It's a bloated combat numbers game, and it needs some soul and clever design for it to truly become a masterpiece. I'm happily anticipating PF:WotR improvements but I'm not holding my breath, because as of yet I haven't seen better AI or encounter design.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
It's a bloated combat numbers game
You say that as if it were a bad thing.
better AI or encounter design.
D:OS has good encounter design, and at least comparatively better AI, and it's still a shit RPG. AI matters far more in strategy games than RPGs, RPGs are after all just a system of numbers. Fight the stats, not the AI.
and it needs some soul
No wonder autists such as myself love it so much, we too are soulless after all.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I like Pf:KM a lot, but from what I have seen BG3 definitly has potential to overcome PF KM, and who knows how good their crusade game will be.
Especially dialogue and quests could need a little Oomph, its not as bad as in other games where everything is just an excuse to go kill shit, but there are few quests in there that are truly memorable. From the top of my head only the feywild stuff, the time guy you can meet in three different times and everything concerning the goblin shaman is exceptional.
BG3 seems to want to go into that niche, since there are many things one can rightly criticise Larian for, but unmemorable quests is not one of them.

No wonder autists such as myself love it so much, we too are soulless after all.

I am fairly convinced you dont have a soul so the shoe fits.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
I am fairly convinced you dont have a soul so the shoe fits.
Damn right.
:dealwithit:
Shitposting aside
but unmemorable quests is not one of them.
come on dude. The first D:OS was somewhat memorable, particularly the main quest/sidequests around Cyseal.
I've forgotten everything about D:OS 2 except some of the companion bits.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
The Larianfag is not unlike the Jew. He infiltrates a community the same way a Jew infiltrates a society. From this position, the Larianfag will begin his subversive activities, under the guise of being a gorgnard and giving praise to classic CRPGs, he will also profess his liking towards a modern iteration of the CRPGs of yore. Simplified, streamlined, barely resembling the thing it claims it's influenced by, where the main draw is not character building, or complex mechanics, but rather oil barrels, environmental effects and reddit tier humor.
The Larianfag, like the Jew, will continue this subversive influence for years, decades even, like the slow boiling of a frog the native population of grognards will become diluted by the opions of the Larianfag, they'll begin to accept the design philosophy and mechanics of the decline. They'll become the thing they hate, all under the influence of the subversive Larianfag.

The Larianfag will grab onto the few qualities their games posses and he will extol those virtues, while completely ignoring or at best lightly pass over the glaring negatives their games have. They will say something along the lines of "well I never said that it had good character building, or writing, or complexity, or good mechanics... but it does have good TB combat" And it is this swan song that the Larianfag sings to lull the grognards into a false sense of security and manipulated agreeableness.
And why does the Larianfag do this? The Larianfag cannot help it, the Larianfag is driven by instinct. The Larianfag knows his taste is inferior, so he seeks to subvert and destroy superior tastes, so that the whole world might become like him. Debased, ignoble, degenerate.
It is no surprise then my friends that Larian schlock finds its way to the Codex list of top 101 RPGs of all time. The Larianfag has spun his spell, and the decline is evident.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
come on dude. The first D:OS was somewhat memorable, particularly the main quest/sidequests around Cyseal.
I've forgotten everything about D:OS 2 except some of the companion bits.

Memorable stuff in DOS 2:
I fought an Inquisitor while an Earthworm appeared from the source.
A death lady vomited bugs into my mouth which was a nice snack since I was a skeleton.
I convinced a dead skeleton about some philosophical shit because I am an alive skeleton and got some loot from that.
There was a plant necromancer or some shit beneath the graveyard.
The fire slug under the first island was the woman of the mad mage emperor who owned the island before dying and turning her into a slug.
There was a raven feasting on flesh and bone on top of a tower. I offered him some of my flesh and he became my companion.
The guy with the ring on the coast. Really cool quest.

And I didnt even like DOS 2. Dropped it after the graveyard on the second island.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
Memerable for thee, not for me.
D:OS 2 is just a haze for me and I played like 2/3rds of it. Guess I was just waiting for it to become good, to grab my focus but it never happened so I didn't pay attention.
I'm giving it a hard time primarily because the D:OS games occupy the #30 something on the Codex list, which lets face it, it doesn't really deserve.
I've looked it up and D:OS is #31 and D:OS 2 is #32. Games that are behind Larian shlock that shouldn't be:
#36 The Witcher
#38 ELEX
#39 Mount and Blade Warband
#41 FUCKING ToEE IS FUCKING #41
#43 Dragon Age: Origins
#50 Alpha Protocol
#68 Icewind Dale II
:negative:
Now obviously it's subjective, and it's dumb to get butthurt over RPG rankings that a bunch of autists voted on, but I will not accept that fucking Icewind Dale II and Temple of Elemental Evil are ranked behind fucking D:OS.
I can't.
And don't give me that "only the top 20 really matter" bullshit neither.

Saravan

Savant
The Larianfag is not unlike the Jew. He infiltrates a community the same way a Jew infiltrates a society. From this position, the Larianfag will begin his subversive activities, under the guise of being a gorgnard and giving praise to classic CRPGs, he will also profess his liking towards a modern iteration of the CRPGs of yore. Simplified, streamlined, barely resembling the thing it claims it's influenced by, where the main draw is not character building, or complex mechanics, but rather oil barrels, environmental effects and reddit tier humor.
The Larianfag, like the Jew, will continue this subversive influence for years, decades even, like the slow boiling of a frog the native population of grognards will become diluted by the opions of the Larianfag, they'll begin to accept the design philosophy and mechanics of the decline. They'll become the thing they hate, all under the influence of the subversive Larianfag.

The Larianfag will grab onto the few qualities their games posses and he will extol those virtues, while completely ignoring or at best lightly pass over the glaring negatives their games have. They will say something along the lines of "well I never said that it had good character building, or writing, or complexity, or good mechanics... but it does have good TB combat" And it is this swan song that the Larianfag sings to lull the grognards into a false sense of security and manipulated agreeableness.
And why does the Larianfag do this? The Larianfag cannot help it, the Larianfag is driven by instinct. The Larianfag knows his taste is inferior, so he seeks to subvert and destroy superior tastes, so that the whole world might become like him. Debased, ignoble, degenerate.
It is no surprise then my friends that Larian schlock finds its way to the Codex list of top 101 RPGs of all time. The Larianfag has spun his spell, and the decline is evident.

You know there is an alternative to a black and white take on every game, there is this thing where you take a nuanced approach and weigh the pros and cons to different games. That requires you to actually put some effort to your thoughts however.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
You know there is an alternative to a black and white take on every game, there is this thing where you take a nuanced approach and weigh the pros and cons to different games. That requires you to actually put some effort to your thoughts however.
That's fag talk.
Or rather Larianfag talk.
:smug:

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Memerable for thee, not for me.
D:OS 2 is just a haze for me and I played like 2/3rds of it. Guess I was just waiting for it to become good, to grab my focus but it never happened so I didn't pay attention.
I'm giving it a hard time primarily because the D:OS games occupy the #30 something on the Codex list, which lets face it, it doesn't really deserve.
I've looked it up and D:OS is #31 and D:OS 2 is #32. Games that are behind Larian shlock that shouldn't be:
#36 The Witcher
#38 ELEX
#39 Mount and Blade Warband
#41 FUCKING ToEE IS FUCKING #41
#43 Dragon Age: Origins
#50 Alpha Protocol
#68 Icewind Dale II
:negative:
Now obviously it's subjective, and it's dumb to get butthurt over RPG rankings that a bunch of autists voted on, but I will not accept that fucking Icewind Dale II and Temple of Elemental Evil are ranked behind fucking D:OS.
I can't.
And don't give me that "only the top 20 really matter" bullshit neither.

Those lists alwas massively skew towards popularity. A game that everyone played is much more likely to make high numbers than Troikas excellent games. But it doesnt make DOS 2 a worse game that a bunch of autists here overhype it constantly.
If I were to make a list DOS 2 would either not even be in it or get Oblivions mockery 101/99 spot (I would put Oblivion much higher, probably 60-80s. Shivering Isles is pretty gud). But that doesnt make me salty against the game, I just recognise that when more people played it the likelyhood of it scoring high is higher.

Saravan

Savant
That's fag talk.
Or should I say, Larianfag talk
:smug:

Yeah I understand, it's difficult when you permanently LARP as a 3 INT Orc. Kingmaker good, Larian bad.

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
But that doesnt make me salty against the game, I just recognise that when more people played it the likelyhood of it scoring high is higher.
Well I ain't salty about the game either. It would have been decent for what it is if it wasn't overhyped.
I'm salty about the Larianfags that overhype it.
Yeah I understand, it's difficult when you permanently LARP as a 3 INT Orc.
Is that the best you can come up with Larianfag?
Kingmaker good, Larian bad.
87f.jpg

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

This was the most beautiful thing i read today. Thank you!

:greatjob:

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Pathfinder was so much more memorable to me than Dos2. To be fair, I have played Pathfinder over 300 hours while only playing Dos2 for around 30 hours. I remember wanting to kill myself during those 30 hours but not much more than that.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I have played Pathfinder over 300 hours while only playing Dos2 for around 30 hours. I remember wanting to kill myself during those 30 hours but not much more than that.

The obvious answer of your our prayers is for you to give DOS2 another shot, play it for 90 more hours and if you're still alive afterward, play it again!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom