Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

7 Days to die - Now with Codex Server Details on Page 2

ColCol

Arcane
How is this game single player wise? Been thinking about trying to find something witha similar loop to The Forest,

hoothoot

Arcane
Patron
This game for awhile was the best survival craft mp game or whatever it is but it chose a steady course of decline and stuck to it and is now kinda retarded

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played alpha 18 and mods quite a bit and the developers made it nearly impossible to build a base without spending a massive amount of time on resource gathering, or just playing God mode/create stacks of materials which is what most streamers do.

Then they made alpha 19 which removed the few tricks people had to deal with the zombie AI that made them demolition engineers smart enough to target weak points in bases, by which I mean zombies running 360 around a building to dig a hole and collapse shit for example.

Unsurprisingly the population numbers for 7 days to die tanked with alpha 19, and I even saw the game for sale for $5 a couple months ago when I was looking for other survival games. Its been a year and I had the itch to try a survival game again.

My friend bothered me for like a month to install alpha 20, and I finally gave it a shot. Its actually moving the game in the right direction.

The biggest thing is the upgrade to high definition graphics and the adding of a story. Materials seem easier to get and they are a side effect of doing quests also. The graphics make it feel like a new game, and it has 1300ish new building block options.

The quest lines are nice also because you arent completely reliant on the RNG for early game necessities like a bicycle or forge.

Gonna try my first horde night soon, hope it goes well

:timetoburn:

Also, From what the developers have said, it seems they actually want to do a full release and take the game out of alpha after this last update is finished testing.

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
NPC bandits coming when?

I tried some mods with those. It was an easy way to get the "player kill" achievement without even pvping.

Did they add to the gameplay though? Was it different/fun to fight them compared to zombies?

They were just another element in a larger mod. I don't think bandits are part of the base game.

This is one of the mods I tried with bandits, and it explains their AI and such if you are curious.

https://7daystodiemods.com/ravenhearst-mod/

Pretty sure the devs promised to add NPC bandits in like alpha 19 originally, but then kept pushing it back. I feel like it would really make the combat parts more fun, as opposed to JUST fighting the zombies all the time.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I've been playing this on and off for the past few weeks, maybe got about 30 hours into it.

The demolisher zombies, ie the ones that blow up and wreck your base, don't get triggered by auto shot-gun/machine-gun turrets anymore. This makes base defense a lot easier when solo.

You cannot out run the vultures on horde night. They move at 250% speed and spit acid like the zombie cops. If you base falls on horde night, your only choice is to stand and fight.

The vultures also do significant block damage if you don't deal with them. On my day 21 horde, there was a swarm of 20 of them above my base. I would occasionally pop my head outside the roof of my base, point my machine gun in the sky and start shooting. There were so many I couldn't miss. Vulture bodies were falling all around me and I still didn't get them all.

The new POI's are a lot of fun (over 175 new POIs) and the crucible is still a pain in the ass to get, but I made it to level 10 intellect so I can craft them now.

Alpha 20 adjusted the "game stage" and "loot stage" mechanics. If you die, your game stage doesn't go all the way back to zero. This avoids the frustration of a stupid death leading to zombie grinding to get your game stage back. I think you lose like 10 or 20 game stage per death, but it doesn't feel oppressive.

The "loot stage" is what determines the type of loot you find (instead of the game stage like in the past). The game stage controls the types and strength of monsters that spawn, and the loot stage is for the types and value of loot of course.

The loot stage is dynamic and based on the biome (location) you are at, the specific POI's you are at, and somewhat based on how long your character has been alive. This means you could raid a wasteland biome building and get decent loot, but if you raid a military outpost in the forest biome you might get better loot because of the difficulty of the specific military POI. In short, the loot isn't only based on the biome.

The random map generator has a lot of nice new features like controlling the size of specific biomes, the amount of rivers that spawn, the amount of roads, etc.

There is a tier of early game shitty firearms available to everyone called "pipe machine gun" or "pipe pistol" etc. They can be repaired with pipes and aren't that strong compared to regular weapons, but they can make a difference early game if you don't want to try clubbing a bear to death.

There are over 1300 craftable shapes now, the game feels more like a proper builder sim now because of this.

Still, the hugest thing about the game is the updated graphics and animations. The game looks so much better even if its not a photo-realistic game like many modern AAA games are going for.

Here's a full list of the patch notes.

https://7daystodie.com/a20-official-release-notes/

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
The 1300+ blocks makes a huge difference. Finally get some shapes in there that've been missing for a long time (inside stairs, I'm talking about you).

Also love he fact my base doesn't pop out of existence now when you fly more than 10 feet away from it.

Just gotta find a good online PVE server that'll let me build a massive base now.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
IP: 172.107.182.118
Port: 26930
Pass: BallsDeep

No PVP. But I also have no idea if I've even configured this correctly so YOLO.

EDIT: Ok, it's a random map 10k big. You get 9 Land Claims because building is fun. Don't fuck it up.

Also, if anyone has that time-out during world download, PM me and I'll hook you up with a link to DL the map.

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Nice, I'll try to check it out this weekend.

A suggestion before you get the server going. Look at some quality of life mods such as vehicle cruise control, etc. I dont think its possible to add mods after a server/game is going.

It's nice to hit a button and and you vehicle keeps going until you turn it off. Lota of great mods out there depending on the difficulty or style of server you are going for.

https://7daystodiemods.com/vehicle-cruise-control/

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I have absolutely no intention of ever installing any mods. Mods on game servers is the path to maintenance hell.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
20220125204410-1.jpg

PRAISE DU

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Protip: Don't build your base inside of an existing building, because of the new questing system.

I don't say this because I expect people to be courteous of other players doing quests.

I say this because if somebody starts a quest, and you have your base built inside the quest zone, everything gets erased and reset to server default conditions.

Ie.. if I had completely demolished a building, it gets rebuilt. Or, if I've added a bunch of ladders or wood frames to get around a building quicker, they get deleted.

Reading this will save you some future trolling, but if you decide to build inside a town. This is my fair warning, I love to quest because its what you do in RPGs.

It also makes for some good mining if you find a good deposit under a quest building. Mine out the deposit, get all the iron, oil, etc. Then start the quest and everything respawns.

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I logged in for a few minutes and made a land claim. Will work on it more later.

How long are the land claims good for anyways?

gay.jpg

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I just logged back in to poke around a bit and the game time is maybe 1 hour real time from where it was.

So, the game time must stop when nobody is logged in.

Thanks for logging out at night fags. Guess I'll go newbie tier night raiding with my wooden club. YOLO

edit..

It's actually not that bad, on my private games I set night time zombie speed to nightmare.

I think they are on just sprint or jog for this server.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Hmmmm- I may have to redownload 7d2d to check out the codex server.

This was one of my favorite games around a10/11... Then the focus switched massively and I stopped playing at all around a19- That was prolly a good two years ago or more. This would be a nice chance to see how things are progressing.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I barely had time to build a cobblestone defense, lets see if i survive, i found 12 pipe bombs, but i think I got 50/50 odds

Everyone else logged out lol

edit..

Think I survived horde night.

It took 5 pipe bombs, 1 first aid kit, and 500 cobble stone.

Cutting it way to close joining the game on day 5. Hopefully next horde night I actually have a rifle or something.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom