Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Darkzone

Arcane
Anyway, dudes, I just finished watching Johnny Mnemonic, first time. I'm very impressed - the themes and the world are such that it's like the screenplay was written in the early months of this year, not in the early 90s. This William Gibson is quite the visionary. I just don't get why Mike Pondsmith doesn't seem to ever credit him as a source of inspiration.
The worst thing for me is, that somehow i look at CP77 and i have absolute no positive feelings about it. Despite i hoped to play a Karl Honig (the preacher) kind of Character in CP77, now i guess that somehow this is off the table.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The worst thing for me is, that somehow i look at CP77 and i have absolute no positive feelings about it. Despite i hoped to play a Karl Honig (the preacher) kind of Character in CP77, now i guess that somehow this is off the table.

Haven't you heard?

"* Lots of attribute perks with trees of upgrades attached to each one
* Your jaw will drop when you see the Skill Perk Tree - it is like a humongous spider web - far larger than the Attribute Tree shown last year"

zcmxwkj4omj31.jpg

so the took this bland shit and made it a "humongous spider web "?
I am also confused. They took the skills and renamed them to perks?

for reference

Last edited:

NullFlow

Savant
Like I said here weeks ago they try to make a GTA game and a Deus Ex game at the same time and it seems the GTA part is really weak. From the recently removed car customization to the weak gunplay especially at low levels and the limited side activities, I think the mainstream will be disappointed.
On the other hand, the Deus Ex side thinks are looking a lot better with the choice of origins, lots and lots of dialogue with skill checks, skills that really affect gameplay, great hacking options, stealth with the non-lethal option, lots of ways to solve quests with different outcomes. I currently expect that the people on the Codex will enjoy this CP2077 more than the mainstream who just wants GTA set in the future.
My biggest worry really is how much they can polish this game within 5 months because this time people won't be so forgiving like with the Witcher 3.
If the final product harkens more to Deus Ex than Watch Dogs I'll be happy, but the beauty of Deus Ex was in its intricate level design which was a multi-faceted puzzle that facilitated and accommodated many styles of gameplay. So far I'm just seeing Cyberpunk intended as a gun-focused action RPG first with occasional moments where you can be diplomatic or explore for alternate solutions. Will the level design allow me to sneak into the Maelstrom gang hideout unnoticed, knock out the gangsters with a variety of non-lethal weapons and tools and make out with the bot like a thief in the night? Can I be a cybermage and quickhack my way through every obstacle? Are there ways to overcome Royce without killing him or having to befriend him? I haven't seen much indicating that I can quite yet because most of the gameplay previewed so far is shooting and slicing and dialogue trees. Not necessarily a bad game, but not a Deus Ex or the in-depth RPG I was hoping for.

Danikas

Arcane
So far I'm just seeing Cyberpunk intended as a gun-focused action RPG first with occasional moments where you can be diplomatic or explore for alternate solutions. Will the level design allow me to sneak into the Maelstrom gang hideout unnoticed, knock out the gangsters with a variety of non-lethal weapons and tools and make out with the bot like a thief in the night? Can I be a cybermage and quickhack my way through every obstacle?
Well about the warehouse mission I compiled every known outcome to this here:

You don’t meet with militech at all. You can start shooting from the beginning but you get more rewards and loot for this method.

You can stealth in and steal the bot.

If you meet with DumDum and you don’t follow the prompt for Jackie to sit down within 4 seconds it becomes a shootout automatically.

You can get shot in the face mid-dialogue at one point due if you don’t choose to grab your gun OR pay Royce some extra money.

If you meet Meredith and you have a corpo background you can instantly see through her bullshit charade and call her out immediately on the virus chip when she mentions it to you.

You CAN attack Meredith and her militech guards but her guards are far higher leveled than you with corpo weapons and you likely can’t hope to compete in this early state of the game. This was an option presented in the 2018 demo.

If you have the virus chip you can:

Give it to Royce like normal

Tell him it’s a virus, as thanks he will clean the virus off the chip and give you the bot. But if your street cred is low he will insult you and your jacket. You can walk away or Jackie prompts you to kill everyone there and in exchange he will buy you a better jacket. And you can steal the 50k off him also after you kill him.

If you have a very high Technical ability you can prove to Royce the chip is a virus with a detailed explanation.

Informing them about the trap increases your maelstrom faction rep.

You can earn 50k by yourself (which is difficult but not impossible at that early stage) and pay Royce fair and square and leave with no issues (unless you made a deal with militech).

You can shoot Royce under the chin and it becomes a shootout as usually depicted without having him as a boss at the end.

According to kotaku AU if you give them the virus now Militech will kill off maelstrom but you still need to escape:

“If I pass that chip over to Royce as payment for the prototype bot, Militech will take care of the goons for me — but V and Jackie still have to escape.”

If you warn Royce militech will storm the building and this will have consequences with your relationship with them later.

If you see brick, the ex no 2 you can free him, kill him or leave him to rot. IF you see him again this choice has ramifications down the line for the main quest line narrative.

If you help Militech set them up apparently Meredith opens up as a romance option later for a male V but this isn’t confirmed, just have been mentioned by many people.

If you don’t the virus was her last chance therefore Meredith is executed by militech for her failure and her male replacement greets you at the end of the mission.

Curratum

Never bring a katana to a gun fight

What is this, fucking Morrowind? :D

Just look at that FUCKING HUD, dudes. EVERYTHING is covered up with text, shitty tickers, messages, objectives and helpers. It's fucking disgusting.

Meanwhile, I'm playing Red Dead Redemption 2 COMPLETELY HUD-less and I'd say that alone makes it more immersive and more of an RPG than this fucking abortion.

Semiurge

Cipher
latest

New york, New york—the city so
nice they trashed it twice. This is
my stomping ground, so step
lightly. Seeing as how I'm a fully-cybernetic
Street Samurai, you really don't want to
cross swords with me. yes, I am living
proof that metal is better than meat! In the
six years I've been bloodletting and brainspilling
in this hellhole, I've taken down
boosterpunks, powered armor, corporate
hit men, children, ground-attack choppers,
sword-wielding ninja and assorted
breeds of cyberpets. yes, the life of a full
'borg Solo is a fulfilling one indeed. I get
plenty of work and I swear at this rate I'll
rid this city of its fleshy infection within,
oh—say, fifteen years.

:greatjob:

Metal may be better than meat, but those exposed wires are not.

norolim

Arcane

Never bring a katana to a gun fight

What is this, fucking Morrowind? :D

Just look at that FUCKING HUD, dudes. EVERYTHING is covered up with text, shitty tickers, messages, objectives and helpers. It's fucking disgusting.

Meanwhile, I'm playing Red Dead Redemption 2 COMPLETELY HUD-less and I'd say that alone makes it more immersive and more of an RPG than this fucking abortion.

Judging by Witcher 3, you will probably be able to turn everything off in the menu.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Judging by Witcher 3, you will probably be able to turn everything off in the menu.

Yes, certainly. Even if somehow it doesn't, their engine makes it pretty easy to do in an .ini file or whatever I believe. It's been quite a while since I was forced to use HUD quest markers in an RPG, I think.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Come on, that's not the first game you watch pre-release footage of. Game devs always show gameplay with all the UI features turned on.

I'm more worried about the AIs being so ineffective. At least one of them went for cover.

NullFlow

Savant
Come on, that's not the first game you watch pre-release footage of. Game devs always show gameplay with all the UI features turned on.

I'm more worried about the AIs being so ineffective. At least one of them went for cover.
The poor enemy AI is definitely a gaping sore. There was a depressing case in one of the preview shots where the player tossed a grenade at the feet of an enemy, and there was no response, not even a call of "Grenade!". The guy just stood there until he got chunked. The rest seem to have no sense of self-preservation or tactical thinking other than stand around and shoot or walk toward you and shoot. The 2018 demo showed most enemies taking cover so I dunno what's going on here.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I remember F.E.A.R. had some good AI.

If this Cyberpunk 2077 will not be challenging and make me feel a as player that skill progression really matters because makes my life a little easier, it will be a borefest.
And in terms or RPGness, on par with Disco Elysium which is just a glorified interactive novel.

Dodo1610

Arcane
In the message with the delay, they said
At the time we are writing these words, Cyberpunk 2077 is finished both content and gameplay-wise. The quests, the cutscenes, the skills and items; all the adventures Night City has to offer — it’s all there. But with such an abundance of content and complex systems interweaving with each other, we need to properly go through everything, balance game mechanics and fix a lot of bugs.

Which means the game has probably only been content locked recently since they said in the earnings call in March that there are still things missing. So currently the game state is that of an early beta and it definitely looks like one.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Having watched the gameplay I predict some real backlash unless they fix crowds by release. The empty night club and desolate streets is reminiscent of a PS3 XBOX360 game with their very limited ram, not a modern AAA game. W3 had no problem with large crowds so what is going on here?

Harthwain

Magister
Having watched the gameplay I predict some real backlash unless they fix crowds by release. The empty night club and desolate streets is reminiscent of a PS3 XBOX360 game with their very limited ram, not a modern AAA game. W3 had no problem with large crowds so what is going on here?
My guess is they will add crowds after they have everything else in place. That way they will know exactly how big the crowd can be for the release build.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
My guess is they will add crowds after they have everything else in place. That way they will know exactly how big the crowd can be for the release build.

Dude they're in the polishing stage and designing around 7 year old hardware that had weak processors at that time, they're not adding more crowds. Maybe PC and next-gen will have higher crowd settings, but I doubt it. This kind of detail in an open world setting necessitates compromises.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom