Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Are there any plans of converting Kotc 1 into a Kotc2 module?

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Well, he gave us room to breathe with that one, I wonder what Pierre has saved for the last puzzle, I wanna get that item for the glory of codexia.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/posts/2875693

Update #26: Fourth KotC 2 Combat Video, Puzzle Recap, And ShanePlays Q&A About KotC 2!

Fourth Knights of the Chalice 2 Combat Video

I have just uploaded the eighth video in support of the Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter campaign. The new video is the Fourth Combat Video of KotC 2 Augury of Chaos as part of a series of Five Combat Videos. The link on Youtube is https://youtu.be/gGxH7m278l0. Please feel free to share the link and post comments here or on the Youtube page! :)

ShanePlays Question & Answer About KotC 2
Shane recently published a cool in-depth interview about KotC 2!! It's on his webpage and I am also reproducing it here.

Why do you like to make games?

I've been a video game enthusiast ever since the day I started playing LCD handheld electronic games like Mario Bros and Mickey & Donald!

Then I discovered Choose Your Own Adventure books such as The Warlock of Firetop Mountain, the Steve Jackson's Sorcery! series, and The Dark Eye gamebooks. I also had the chance to play role-playing video games like Miracle Warriors: Seal of the Dark Lord, The Bard's Tale II: The Destiny Knight, Bloodwych and Legend of Faerghail. RPGs are amazing because you can be the Hero and interact with the game world more extensively and with more freedom than you would in other types of games.

I love making games because I really like the idea of being the digital gamemaster who designed the devious quests and villains populating the game world. I enjoy creating challenging encounters for the players as well as giving them a variety of possible solutions to every obstacle they face.

What is your background with tabletop RPGs, if any?

I played several tabletop RPGs a long time ago. I like them. It’s a different kind of fun, because you only control one character and decisions are often made collectively by the group of players.

The nice thing with CRPGs is that you can start and stop playing at your leisure since you’re not relying on the other players and the Dungeon Master, and the others are not relying on you.

What do you consider the perfect CRPG?

The perfect cRPG, if it could exist, would have plenty of interesting character classes, extensive character-creation options, amazingly deep tactical combat and a brilliant emergent artificial intelligence that leaves you dumbfounded.

It would have quirky and endearing companions that seem to be real people, agonising choices and dilemmas with actual consequences that you can see in the game, and astounding puzzles and riddles presented so cleverly that you would never really feel stuck. It would feature exciting magic weapons, spells and other rewards that drive you forward constantly.

There would be a cornucopia of monsters and a gripping storyline overflowing with Machiavellian villains, power-hungry Sorcerers, cruel Kings as well as wise and kind allies. The great thing with RPGs is the progression of the story from insignificant errands to world-shattering events and quests, reflecting your heroic rise as a force to be reckoned with.

KotC 2 is my attempt at creating the perfect cRPG, or at least an awesome series of RPGs with OGL 3.5 turn-based combat. The OGL 3.5 is the ruleset at the root of Dungeons & Dragons 3.5.
6e6bec590b5335c8cc59f95f58ef1b2a_original.gif

How long have you been working on Knights of the Chalice 2?

I’ve been working on KotC 2 for about ten years, from 2010 to 2020. I worked on the game for about seven years on a part-time basis and for about three years on a full-time basis in the period since 2018.

What is different between Knights of the Chalice 1 and 2?

There are many differences between KotC 1 and KotC 2. The most obvious difference is that KotC 2 has 22 fully-fledged character classes, while KotC 1 only has three classes. KotC 2 also has ten interesting player races and 36 player subraces, while KotC 1 only has three player races. Moreover, Clerics and Bishops in KotC 2 have access to 41 exciting Cleric Domains.

KotC 2 comes with a powerful integrated editor, while KotC 1 does not. KotC 2 is also very flexible in the sense that I can add new feats, new items or new spells easily. That’s not the case with KotC 1. Moreover, the AI of enemy creatures now depends on their Intelligence score in KotC 2.

KotC 1 uses pixel-art graphics similar to Ultima VI, while KotC 2 uses high-resolution graphics. Adventure maps are tile-based in KotC 1. Now they’re based on a large PNG or JPG image. KotC 2 will have both top-down adventure maps and isometric maps and it will allow the player to choose between token-based graphics and sprite-based graphics. Also, KotC 2 uses OGG music files, while KotC 1 uses MIDI music files.

While KotC 1 allows you to create four party members, KotC 2 Augury of Chaos allows you to create six characters. KotC 2 also allows you to recruit endearing companions. Including companions, your party in Augury of Chaos may comprise up to eight or nine active party members. Your characters can move through squares occupied by allied creatures in KotC 2.

KotC 2 has a Party Formation and Composition Screen, while the party formation was fixed in KotC 1. KotC 2 also allows you to respec your characters, meaning that you can change the feats and spells that were selected when your characters last levelled-up.

KotC 2 features many special combat situations, as detailed in the Kickstarter update explaining how the Challenge Level of encounters may be increased using special combat situations.

For example, the party may be divided into two groups, creating really interesting combat encounters. KotC 2 also takes into account the elevation of squares, while KotC 1 does not.

KotC 2 allows you to equip magic items that have similar effects. Only the most powerful effect is applied to your character. By contrast, KotC 1 does not allow you to equip items with similar effects.

KotC 2 also allows you to cast air-based terrain spells, such as Solid Fog, Stinking Cloud and Silence, over squares that are affected by ground-based terrain spells, such as Grease, Web and Entangle. KotC 2 allows characters to manifest psionic powers, while KotC 1 does not.

KotC 2 has many non-combat character skills, while KotC 1 does not have any non-combat character skills. KotC 2 also has a cryptography interface used by the player to decode secret messages. In KotC 1, secret messages have to be decoded by an NPC.

Compared to KotC 1, KotC 2 has many more monsters, magic items, spells, combat manoeuvres, Bull Rush options, summoning options, character creation and development options, special abilities, feats and weapon enchantments.

KotC 2 has reach weapons, monsters with reach, correct rules for dying characters, monsters with the Swallow Whole ability, monsters with the Death Throes ability, monsters with multiple Breath Weapons and multiple Spell-Like Abilities, monsters and characters that can wield many weapons simultaneously, and many, many other fun things that you will discover by playing the game! :)

In short, KotC 2 is even more interesting than KotC 1, and it will receive many further improvements thanks to the Kickstarter campaign and everyone who’s taking part in the campaign!! :)

You gave me a great description of what you envision as the perfect CRPG. How close do you feel Knights of the Chalice 2 comes to meeting that goal?

Interesting question! I think that KotC 2 is close to being my perfect CRPG in certain important aspects. I really like the character classes and character feats, the tactical combat engine, the diversity of monsters, the puzzles and cryptography, the spells and psionic powers, the magic weapons, the game’s artificial intelligence and the adventure-creation editor.

Some other aspects of KotC 2 need to be improved or fleshed out. That’s what I’m going to do with the upcoming KotC 2 adventure modules, thanks to the Kickstarter campaign.

Firstly, I’d like the game to provide more of a non-linear open-world feeling. In the first adventure, KotC 2 Augury of Chaos, for the most part you’re exploring underground levels as in Ultima Underworld, so you don’t have the open-world feeling that exists in KotC 1.

I think that you get that feeling when your party has its base in a city, village or fortress, plenty of quests are made available to you, and you have access to a world map or regional map that allows you to explore the game world to your heart’s content.

There’s just something very cool about being able to visit a variety of locales and progressively finding out about previously-hidden areas that the party can now explore and adventure in.

Companion interaction is another aspect that I’m planning to develop further. A companion that knows a certain place should take a more active role when the party is exploring that place; they should warn you about its dangers, inform you about any secret passages, and explain the nature of the strange contraptions the party discovers.

A companion of dubious morality may lead you into a trap or disappear with the party’s gold and most precious artifact at the worst possible time, only to reappear later on among the ranks of your adversaries!

Two companions may clash because of their opposing viewpoints, or because of their mutually-exclusive personal quests. A companion might violently reject the player’s decision, plead to be given a particular item, or unwittingly land the party in trouble with the villagers, the Blue Cloaks or rival adventurers. The attitude of each companion towards the player may also change over time, depending on the player’s actions.

I’m planning to increase the number of available companions and expand the game’s optional and non-linear elements, as presented in the Kickstarter update about non-linear scenarios and in the design document Choices in CRPGs.

New feats and new magic items will be added to the game, as well as a new shortcut system for spell casting based on customisable quick bars.

Finally, we’re going to improve and expand the game’s graphical and audio assets. We’ll improve the appearance of the graphical user interface, add new high-resolution sprites for all the characters and monsters, add captivating story images, create new magnificent environments and maps, and so on.

Regarding your mention of 'amazingly deep tactical combat', I notice that Knights of the Chalice 2 uses turn-based combat. Is this because of using the 3.5 OGL, or because you feel turn-based is a better tactical experience? Or maybe another reason entirely?

Above all, KotC 2 features a turn-based combat engine because I think that turn-based combat offers an infinitely more interesting tactical-combat experience.

Don’t get me wrong here: RPGs with real-time or real-time-with-pause combat, such as Neverwinter Nights 2, Dragon Age, Diablo or the Infinity Engine games Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale 2 and Baldur’s Gate 2, are very enjoyable. But tactical gameplay and the artificial intelligence do not shine in these games, in my opinion.

Even if the AI in a real-time game was doing something very clever, you would probably not even notice it because you have to focus on the actions of your own characters constantly.

Area-of-effect spells are completely warped in games with real-time combat. By the time your Wizard has finished the spell casting animation, half of your targets have already moved away, or been slain by your other characters.

956b0b53b1dd45239ec1a1b715348c98_original.gif

While turn-based combat encourages you to plan ahead and reflect about your tactics, real-time combat is a chaotic affair.

Sometimes, it feels as though your characters do not need any input from the player in RPGs with real-time combat. I don’t feel in control of my characters the way I would in a game with turn-based combat, where every combat action is selected by the player.

A secondary reason for having a turn-based combat engine is the fact that Knights of the Chalice 2 is based on the 3.5 ruleset. The ruleset provides rules for turn-based combat, not for real-time combat.

Many interesting combat actions, such as Five-Foot Step, Delay, Ready Versus Spell and Attack of Opportunity, often seem to disappear in real-time D&D RPGs.

In terms of the difficulty of creating the combat engine, I would say that development is not made any easier by opting to create a turn-based engine as opposed to creating a real-time engine.

On a related note, why use the Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 ruleset as your foundation? Do you prefer it the most out of the other OGLs available, or is there a programming reason?

The choice of the 3.5 ruleset is a choice dictated mainly by the long development time of Knights of the Chalice 2. It’s also due to the fact that KotC 1 is based on the 3.5 ruleset.

That being said, I think it’s fantastic that D&D 5 also has an Open Game Licence. I’ve just been looking at these rules for a while. Somehow, it feels like Knights of the Chalice 2 already implements certain of the changes introduced by D&D 5.

For example, D&D 5 has the Dragonborn player race with a breath weapon, while KotC 2 has the Drake who also has a breath weapon. As in D&D 5, most of the character classes in KotC 2 are not limited to certain alignments, and spells automatically benefit from a ‘Heighten Spell’ metamagic effect if you cast them at a spell level higher than the level of the spell.

I really like the D&D 5 rules on falling unconscious and the fact that instant death happens less often at high levels. This is certainly something I will consider for KotC 2.

For example, we could have the negative Hit Point death threshold of characters decrease progressively from -10 at level 1 to -30 at level 21. Characters would then be more likely to fall unconscious and avoid death when their Hit Points drop below zero.

I remember the initial release of The Temple of Elemental Evilfrom Troika had a lot of bugs (before modders came along and fixed things up). It used the Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Edition rules, and Ialways felt the bugs were due to them trying to implement as much of thetabletop game into a CRPG.That’s a lot of math and a lot of rules combinations to account for.

Did you find it difficult, or have you had to remove features you wanted to include because of the complexity and resulting bugs?

Indeed, it is difficult and time-consuming to implement the 3.5 combat rules in a video game. But I love the challenge and starting out with KotC 1 was really helpful.

I did remove or alter some of the features of the 3.5 ruleset. Multiclassing does not exist in KotC 2. The application of metamagic feats has been simplified. Cleric Domains have been reworked. Grapple rules have been simplified slightly. Spellcasters do not need to memorise their spells.

While the 3.5 rule system has a very large impact on the game, many of the character classes have been reworked in an attempt to make them even more interesting. Many spells and psionic powers have been modified. Many weapon enchantments have been added.

Nevertheless, many of the feats, like Rapid Shot, Cleave and Whirlwind Attack, and special abilities like Barbarian Rage, Sneak Attack, Smite Evil, Death Throes and Swallow Whole are quite true to the 3.5 rule system.

You also have the standard combat rules like Attacks of Opportunity, Five-Foot Step, Bull Rush, Trip, Disarm, Sunder, Feint, Grapple, Reach, fighting with two or more weapons, Cover and Concealment, Saving Throws and so on.

You have the standard conditions such as Entangled and Blinded, standard magic weapons like Flaming weapons and Vorpal weapons, and standard spells like Mirror Image, Grease, Web, Solid Fog, Prismatic Spray, etc.

One spell was particularly difficult to implement, but I’m very happy with the result. It’s Dispel Magic. Dispel Magic was greatly simplified in KotC 1. In KotC 2, the spell has regained its splendour as it now allows you to choose between Dispel Area, Dispel Effects on a Creature, and Dispel a Single Effect.

Apart from the rules and mechanics themselves, what kind of game can KotC 2 players expect?

KotC 2 already includes an adventure module called Augury of Chaos. Kickstarter backers will be able to play it right after the end of the campaign. This adventure will take your characters from level 1 to level 21. The game also includes a complete adventure-creation toolset.

The Kickstarter campaign will support the creation of at least three new KotC 2 adventure modules: The Dark Arena, Forces of Chaos and Heart of Evil. The campaign will also be used to improve the game's graphics and facilitate the addition of many new features. We will get new animated sprites and use them in all of the adventure modules.

The World of Mindrel

I expect that The Dark Arena will take the player's characters from level 1 to level 11 or 12. The characters will then be able to move on to the second adventure, Forces of Chaos, which will take the party from level 12 to level 20 or 21. Finally, the characters will be able to move on to the third adventure, Heart of Evil, which will take the party from level 21 to level 30 and beyond.

How long do you think the adventure module that ships with Knights of the Chalice 2 will take the average player to complete in hours?

I think you need at least 40 hours to complete KotC 2 Augury of Chaos. But it may take much longer than that if you take some time to resolve the puzzles or if you have to replay many of the encounters, which would not be surprising because KotC 2 Augury of Chaos is a game that is as challenging as it is rewarding.

Are there any plans to allow players to mod the game or create their own modules?

Absolutely! KotC 2 includes an editor that players can use to create adventure modules and campaigns easily.

It is my dream toolset. It's so easy to create a new adventure and add monsters, artifacts, dialogues, quest items, plot hooks, corridors, caves, dangerous areas, doors and portcullises, secret passages, puzzles and elaborate combat encounters.

You can create a stand-alone adventure, or you can allow your module to use the Saved Games of a previous module, thereby creating a campaign made up of connected adventures.

Players who construct a high-quality adventure module may be able to generate an income stream through the sale of the module (subject to agreement).

What is the one thing you want a player to come away with after playing Knights of the Chalice 2?

I want the player to be enthralled! :D

I want the player to be gripped by the game so that he or she keeps playing until the end of the adventure, at which point I’d like them to play again with a different party!

I want players to come away with the pleasant feelings that they may have had playing the Gold Box RPGs, Dark Sun, Baldur’s Gate, Planescape: Torment, Knights of the Chalice 1, Temple of Elemental Evil or Neverwinter Nights 2.

I want them to clamour for more! So that they’ll be as enthusiastic about the upcoming adventure modules as I am! :)

What is the thing you are most proud of as the developer of Knight of the Chalice 2?

I’m really happy with the enemy AI in KotC 2. I’m also very happy with the KotC 2 character-class design, and particularly the design of the Cleric, Wizard and Druid classes.

Thank you so much Shane for the Q&A and for supporting the Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter campaign! :)

Social Goals Report And Links
Today, the number of backers soared above 700, allowing the campaign to reach the Seventh Social Goal!! Thank You!! This means that there will be a new option allowing players to adjust the amount of Combat Experience Points distributed to the party members.

We're only 15 clicks away from the Next Social Goal for the Facebook Likes and Shares, which includes the number of times the KotC 2 Features page and Screenshots page and the KotC 1 Features page and Screenshots page have been recommended through the Facebook buttons on these pages.

Let's Keep It Up, Loyal Knights and Wise Wizards! Thank you! ^^

a2e959aa141e2ffd57b6d0dbf0bfac19_original.png

All of the following links can be used to help us reach the Next Social Goals and Further Increase Awareness of the Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter campaign among CRPG lovers:

Please feel free to download the updated promo pack for KotC 2 if you would like to promote the campaign with images, text or animated GIFs.

You can also join our mailing list by registering on the HeroicFantasyGames.com forums. Finally, you can join us on Discord by following the Discord Invite Link! :)

A Word About the KotC 2 Kickstarter Puzzle Challenge
Yesterday, I posted on Twitter the 13th Puzzle in the KotC 2 Kickstarter Puzzle Challenge! This means that only One Puzzle has yet to be revealed to you, Worthy Knights!!

So My Friends, Who Shall Come Out Victorious? Who Has Enough Wit To Outsmart Even The Devils? Who Will Get To Create A New Artifact In Knights of the Chalice 2? And Who Will Be The Brave Knights Distinguishing Themselves By Their Sagacity?

Keep Your Eyes Peeled For The Very Last Puzzle!! Valour Awaits the True Warrior! ^^

You will find the recap of the first 13 puzzles here on the Facebook page.

The first person who will send the complete solution to enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com, including details on how to resolve each puzzle, will be able to create a new artifact in KotC 2.

Similar to the Artifact Crafter pledge level, we will add to one of the three new KotC 2 modules a new artifact weapon / armour or a new magic item or quest item. The item's properties, appearance and lore will be based on the suggestions you provide to us (within reason). If the item is intelligent, a dialogue could be associated with it. A new icon will be created for the item.

The first three persons to email the complete solution will be included in the game's credits. Solutions should include an explanation of bizarre symbols, if any are present on a puzzle.

May You Be As Cunning And As Quick As A Fox! ^^

Next Knights of the Chalice 2 Update
The next non-video update about KotC 2 will be published tomorrow. It will focus on the New Feats that will be added to the game, including Epic Feats and Normal Feats!

The next video in support of the KotC 2 Kickstarter campaign will be published on 28 June. It will be the Fifth KotC 2 Combat Video!

Only Five Days To Go! Hang On For The Final Sprint!! ^^
The Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter ends in only Five Days! The time is drawing nigh, so nigh!! :)

Please Keep Spreading the Word while there is still some time left to Repel the Forces of Chaos!!

Thank You, Legendary Warriors!! :)

Mortmal

Arcane

Thats clearly lightyears ahead anything done by other rpgs so far, even amongst indies. Maybe solasta will get close to compete , thats not even sure . If people still dont understand why i am unsatisfied by a turn based mode on pathfinder crpgs , they should look at that combat video . Its D20 OGL but its quite similar to pathfinder, that's how thing should be done, i often bash pierre about presentation, but i have also to say he certainly knows his stuff when it comes to tactical encounters.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Alright, backed. If this doesn't work through WINE, I will personally unroot you. :rpgcodex:
I wish the first one worked through WINE. I mean it runs and all, just without music.
Playing music in a video game is weird anyways. Goes against my immersion. When I'm walking through a forest the last thing I expect to hear is a flute or a piano.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll reactivate the fundraiser.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/posts/2877019

Update #27: A Closer Look at the New Feats I will add in KotC 2!

A Closer Look at the New Feats that will be added

We reached the campaign's First Stretch Goal very early. This means that a number of new Epic Feats and Normal Feats will be added to the game. They will be introduced in KotC 2 Augury of Chaos and in all the upcoming adventure modules.

Here are the Normal Feats I’m planning to add:
Greater Weapon Finesse (Requires the feat Weapon Finesse. Whenever you're attacking with a Finesse weapon, meaning a Rapier, natural weapon or light weapon, you apply your Dexterity modifier to Damage Rolls instead of your Strength modifier if the Dexterity modifier is higher than the Strength modifier)

[Wizard] Improved Firefly (Requires a Firefly Familiar. Your Chromatic Orb spells are Empowered for free)

[Wizard] Improved Domination (The range of your spells Control Person, Control Monster, Dominate Person and Dominate Monster, but not Dominate Undead, increases by one step, from Close to Medium and from Medium to Long. Also, you can cast these spells with a Standard Action, rather than a Full-Round Action)

[Psionicist / Warlock] Improved Range Dominate (The range of your psionic powers Control Body and Dominate increases from Close to Medium)

[Psionicist / Warlock] Improved Hail of Crystals (The range of Hail of Crystals increases from Medium to Long and allies are no longer affected)

[Psionicist / Warlock] Improved Ultrablast (The range of Ultrablast increases from Medium to Long, the damage increases by 2d6 and the radius increases from 15' to 20')

[Wizard / Warlock] Improved Colour Spray (The radius of your Colour Spray spell increases from 15' to 25' and the Difficulty Class increases by one point)

[Paladin] Righteous Healing (You cast Cure Light Wounds, Cure Serious Wounds, Cure Critical Wounds, Mass Cure Light Wounds, Mass Cure Serious Wounds, Heal, Remove Blindness, Remove Curse, Remove Ailment, Remove Paralysis, Remove Fatigue, Remove Fear, Remove Negative Levels, Lesser Restoration and Greater Restoration with a Move Action)

[Paladin] Legendary Shield (The bonus from Holy Shield and Heroic Shield now covers allies within 20' of the Paladin, and the Armour Class bonus from Heroic Shield increases from +2 to +3)

[Cleric] Widened Healing (The radius of all your Mass Cure and Mass Heal spells increases by 10')

[Cleric] Widened Destruction (The radius of all your Mass Inflict and Mass Harm spells increases by 10')

[Bishop] Widened Spells (The radius of all your Mass Cure and Mass Inflict spells increases by 10')

[Bard] Improved Songs (Requires Level 20. The bonus from all your Bard Songs increases by one point, or by two points for Battle March)

[Death Knight] Widened Aura (The radius of your Aura of Dread increases by 10')

[Psionicist] Improved Stygian Bolt (Your Stygian Bolt deals 1d6 negative levels instead of 1d4. Increase the Power Points expense by four points to increase the negative levels by 1d6. In addition, any target failing its Reflex Saving Throw instantly loses the Mirror Image and Accelerated conditions)

[Psionicist] Vampiric Stygian Bolt (Your Stygian Bolt grants you temporary Hit Points. You receive 1d6 Hit Points from each affected target)

[Wizard] Dispelling Magic Missile (You deal an extra point of damage with each missile from the spell Magic Missile. In addition, when the target is protected by Mirror Image, each missile destroys a single illusory duplicate created by Mirror Image)

[Wizard] Breaching Magic Missile (You deal an extra point of damage with each missile from the spell Magic Missile. In addition, when the target has Spell Resistance, each missile reduces the target's Spell Resistance by one point for one round, similar to the effect of a Shattermantle weapon)

[Wizard / Psionicist] Improved Shadow Storm (The negative levels from Shadow Storm increase from 1d4 to 1d6)

[Monk] Shattermantle Strike (Each successful unarmed attack reduces the target's Spell Resistance by one point for one round, similar to the effect of a Shattermantle weapon. The effect is cumulative)

[Psionicist / Warlock] Improved Assimilate (Your psionic power Assimilate is improved from Touch Range to Medium Range and from Standard Action casting time to Move Action casting time. It now requires a Ranged Touch Attack, rather than a Melee Touch Attack)

[Wizard / Druid] Improved Finger of Death (Your Finger of Death spells become Medium-Range, Move-Action spells rather than Close-Range Standard-Action spells)

[Fighter] Heroic Willpower (Your Willpower Saving Throw Bonus progression is improved from Low to High)

[Fighter] Heroic Reflexes (Your Reflex Saving Throw Bonus progression is improved from Low to High)

[Fighter / Gladiator / Barbarian] Heroic Onslaught (The penalties on the character’s iterative attacks as part of a Full Attack are reduced from -5 / -10 / -15 to -4 / -8 / -12)

[Fighter / Gladiator / Barbarian] Greater Heroic Onslaught (Requires Heroic Onslaught. The penalties on the character’s iterative attacks as part of a full attack are reduced from -4 / -8 / -12 to -3 / -6 / -9)

[Arcane Archer Mage Knight] Phase Arrow (With this feat, a Mage Knight with the Arcane Archer specialisation can shoot arrows through walls.)

[Arcane Archer Mage Knight / Wizard] Phase Spell (Requires Level 9. With this feat, you can target your spells at creatures and squares located behind walls.)

[Arcane Fighter Mage Knight] Arcane Strike (With this feat, a Mage Knight with the Arcane Fighter specialisation gains a +2 bonus to Melee Attack Rolls.)

[Arcane Fighter Mage Knight] Improved Arcane Strike (Requires Arcane Strike and Level 9. You gain a +2 bonus to Melee Damage Rolls.)

[Bard] Story Teller (With this feat, characters in the party gain temporary Hit Points after resting. The number of temporary HPs increases from one point at level 1 to ten points at level 20.)

[Fire Drake / Flamebrother Half-Salamander] Fire Resistance (Your character gains resistance 10 to Fire Damage. If you have a similar resistance from a class feat such as that of the Barbarian, Storm Warrior, Ranger or Druid, then the character’s resistance increases by 10 points.) Thank you rpgguy for the great idea! :)

[Ice Drake / Frostbrother Half-Salamander] Cold Resistance (Your character gains resistance 10 to Cold Damage. If you have a similar resistance from a class feat such as that of the Barbarian, Storm Warrior, Ranger or Druid, then the character’s resistance increases by 10 points.)

[Lightning Drake] Electricity Resistance (Your character gains resistance 10 to Electricity Damage. If you have a similar resistance from a class feat such as that of the Storm Warrior, then the character’s resistance increases by 10 points.)

[Acid Drake] Acid Resistance (Your character gains resistance 10 to Acid Damage.)

Armour Agility (The Speed Penalty from wearing Medium or Heavy Armour is reduced by 5.)

Improved Armour Agility (Requires the feat Armour Agility. The Speed Penalty from wearing Heavy Armour is reduced by 10.)

Vital Strike (Requires a Base Attack Bonus of 6. With this feat, you can take a Full-Round Attack Action to make a single full-BAB attack. If your attack is successful, you deal multiple damage dice as if you had made all your attacks in a single roll. You get two damage dice with one attack roll.) Thank you Gary for the great idea!

Improved Vital Strike (Requires the feat Vital Strike and a Base Attack Bonus of 11. You can use a single Full-Round Attack to deal three damage dice with one attack roll.)

Perfect Vital Strike (Requires the feat Improved Vital Strike and a Base Attack Bonus of 16. You can use a single Full-Round Attack to deal four damage dice with one attack roll.)

Power Attack (With this feat, your character gains access to the ‘Power Attack’ option in the combat-actions menu. If you select this option, the character performs a melee attack with a bonus to Damage Rolls and an equal penalty to Attack Rolls. The bonus is doubled when wielding a Two-Handed weapon or when wielding a One-Handed weapon with two hands. You can set the amount of the bonus and penalty in the Character Sheet. Some people want this feat while others don’t, so please feel free to post your opinion here about whether it should be implemented or not, and I will decide later on. Thank you!)

Now let's have a look at the Epic Feats!

Epic Feats can only be selected when a character has reached level 20 and above. Here are the Epic Feats I’m planning to add:

• Epic Strength (Your base Strength increases by one point. This feat may be taken two times: Epic Strength I, Epic Strength II)
  • Epic Dexterity (Your base Dexterity increases by one point. This feat may be taken only twice)
  • Epic Constitution (Your base Constitution increases by one point. This feat may be taken only twice)
  • Epic Intelligence (Your base Intelligence increases by one point. This feat may be taken only twice)
  • Epic Wisdom (Your base Wisdom increases by one point. This feat may be taken only twice)
  • Epic Charisma (Your base Charisma increases by one point. This feat may be taken only twice)
  • Epic Spell Penetration (Requires the feat Greater Spell Penetration. You gain a +2 bonus on checks to bypass Spell Resistance. This feat may be taken only once)
  • Epic Spell Reach (Requires the feat Extend Spell Range III. This feat further extends the Close Range, Medium Range and Long Range distances for spells and psionic powers by five feet. Taken only once)
  • Epic Concentration (Requires the feat Superior Concentration. You gain another +4 bonus on Concentration checks. This feat may be taken only once)
  • Epic Attack Focus (You gain a +1 bonus to Attack Rolls. This feat may be taken only once)
  • Epic Damage Focus (You gain a +2 bonus to Damage Rolls. This feat may be taken only once)
  • Epic Defence (You gain a +1 bonus to Armour Class. This feat may be taken only once)
  • Epic Speed (You gain a +5 bonus to Speed. This feat may be taken only once)
  • Epic Willpower (Requires the feat Iron Will. You gain a +2 bonus to Willpower Saving Throws. This feat may be taken only once)
  • Epic Fortitude (Requires the feat Great Fortitude. You gain a +2 bonus to Fortitude Saving Throws. This feat may be taken only once)
  • Epic Reflexes (Requires the feat Lightning Reflexes. You gain a +2 bonus to Reflex Saving Throws. This feat may be taken only once)
  • Epic Psionic Talent (Requires the class feat Psionic Talent which is available to all classes with psionic powers. Your Power Points increase by 20. This feat may be taken only once)
  • Epic Toughness (Requires the feat Greater Toughness. Your Hit Points increase by 20. This feat may be taken only once)
  • Epic Initiative (Requires the feat Improved Initiative. You gain another +4 bonus on Initiative checks to determine who acts first. This feat may be taken only once)
  • Epic Spell Critical I (Requires the feat Improved Critical. Your Critical-Hit Threat Range expands to 17-20 for all spells requiring a Melee Touch Attack or a Ranged Touch Attack)
  • Epic Spell Critical II (Requires Epic Spell Critical I. Your Critical Multiplier increases from x2 to x3 for all spells requiring a Melee Touch Attack or a Ranged Touch Attack)
  • Epic Mass Summoning (During combat, the number of creatures that you can bring forth and control simultaneously increases by one)
Furthermore, I’d like to add two new Player-Character Subraces possessing the ability to Fly:

• Winged Elf (-4 total ability score points, minimum Dexterity increased by two points)
  • Sky Drake (No Breath Weapon, -2 total ability score points, minimum and maximum Constitution reduced by two points)
Flying creatures are not vulnerable to ground-based magic effects such as Web, Entangle, Grease and Quicksand, and they can move about regardless of altitude.

I would also like to implement Fly and Mass Fly spells for use in combat.

I may expand the list of Wizard Familiars. The Parrot Familiar will provide a +1 bonus to the Difficulty Class of the spell Colour Spray. The Tiny Air Elemental Familiar will provide a +1 bonus to the Difficulty Class of Gust of Wind and Greater Gust of Wind. The Air Elemental will provide the [Flying Familiar] Skill while the Parrot may provide a [Pick Pocket] Skill!

Finally, I’ll consider adding the Nymph or Half-Nymph either as a new Player Race or as a unique companion, or even both. It would have the [Charm] Skill, some Damage Reduction bypassed only by Cold Iron weapons, and of course a high Charisma ability score.

If it’s a unique companion, it would probably have certain of the abilities mentioned there, such as Blinding Beauty, Stunning Glance, Unearthly Grace or Spell-Like Abilities originating from the Druid’s spell list. Thank you Wayne for the great idea!

A Cross Promotion for narrative-driven RPG Magin
Magin is a narrative-driven, adventure role-playing game with deck-building mechanics and a card-based combat system.

It presents a dark, fantasy world through a non-linear plot, presented in a comic-book art style. It is like a hand-drawn, immersive tale.

We're a fully independent team of hard-working developers, trying to bring to life a vision 3 years in the making. We’re convinced that the best way to keep that spirit alive and deliver a quality product is to ask other gamers for help directly.

So far we’ve been working without any funding, but recently we launched a Kickstarter campaign. With your help it will allow us to keep fulfilling our dream of making a great game.

The Magin Kickstarter ends in only 15 Days! Join Today at https://www.kickstarter.com/project...driven-deck-building-adventure-rpg?ref=590xt5.

A Big Thank You To The Magin Team For Agreeing To Support The KotC 2 Kickstarter Campaign!! ^^

Knights of the Chalice 2 Social Goals Report
Today, we had a nice increase in the number of KotC 2 Backers!

Before the end of the campaign, we may reach the Next Social Goals for the number of backers and for the Facebook Likes and Shares. Let's Keep It Up, Loyal Knights and Wise Wizards! Thank you! ^^

34d387e298dd3b013b0a12af481d0127_original.png

Only Four Days To Go: Let's do a Big Push on Twitter! :)
To further increase awareness of the KotC 2 Kickstarter campaign in the last remaining days, I would like to ask a favour to everyone who has a Twitter account! The Time Has Come for a Big Push on Twitter! ^^

Could you please Follow the list below, and Tweet something about KotC 2 starting with an @ to the target and including an @HeroicFantasy and a link to the KotC 2 Kickstarter campaign? You can use the campaign’s shortened link https://shorturl.at/lnAEF.

You can also mention the hashtags #dnd #turnbased #Kickstarter #crpg #rpg #indiegame #indiegamedev #gamedev #indiedev #KotC2 to bring some more attention.

Here are some things that you could highlight in your posts: the tactical turn-based combat, the use of the OGL 3.5 ruleset, the smart emergent AI, the easy-to-use adventure-creation editor, the 22 exciting character classes, the more than 700 spells, the fact that the campaign ends very soon, the fact that backers will get the game and the editor as soon as the campaign ends, and the videos.

The video links are: Six-Minute Trailer: https://youtu.be/CqVWrotL6lE, First Combat Video: https://youtu.be/KN2nCvqlN48, Second Combat Video: https://youtu.be/SXj3XPi1xK4, Third Combat Video: https://youtu.be/1Ay0FC7b5io, Fourth Combat Video: https://youtu.be/gGxH7m278l0, and Sprite Video: https://youtu.be/4EZ1OJAZj3U.

If you want, you can include an image, GIF or text from the updated promo pack that may be downloaded at http://heroicfantasygames.com/FWE/Documents/KotC_2_KS_promo.rar.

Okay, so here is the Targeted List: https://mobile.twitter.com/RPGWatch, https://mobile.twitter.com/rpgfancom, https://mobile.twitter.com/indiegdp, https://mobile.twitter.com/indiegamescom, https://mobile.twitter.com/indiegameweb, https://mobile.twitter.com/IndieGala, https://mobile.twitter.com/IndieGamePicks, https://mobile.twitter.com/dnd_retweets, https://mobile.twitter.com/rockpapershot, https://mobile.twitter.com/gameinformer, and https://mobile.twitter.com/TurnBasedTactic.

Thank you so much everyone for your support and great efforts!! :)

Only Four Days To Go: Let's do a Big Push on Facebook! :)
Yes! We can also do a Big Push on Facebook at the same time as the Big Push on Twitter! To do this, please just post the following text on your Facebook timelines. It will help a lot!! Thank you so much!!

The Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter Campaign Ends Very Soon!! ^^

Backers will receive the Game and the Adventure-Creation Editor as soon as the campaign ends!

Join the campaign Today at https://www.kickstarter.com/project...e-2-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs?ref=bkjgzh!

Knights of the Chalice 2 is a Party-Based Epic CRPG with Turn-Based Combat for Windows and Mac OS. KotC 2 is inspired by Baldur's Gate 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Temple of Elemental Evil and Planescape: Torment.

Just like the first game, KotC 2 is based on the OGL 3.5, the ruleset at the root of Dungeons & Dragons 3.5.

In KotC 2: Augury of Chaos, your Heroic Party confronts a group of Evil Fanatics allied with various Demons and Fiendish Dragons.

Blast your enemies with Spells and Psionic Powers, Bull-Rush them into Spike Pits, Trick them with your Superior Guile, or Crush them with your Enchanted Greatsword!

KotC 2 features more than 700 Spells and Psionic Powers, as well as 22 exciting Character Classes, 10 Races, 36 Subraces, 478 Feats, 41 Cleric Domains and 71 Weapon Enchantments.

Overcome the Odds in Epic Tactical Battles against intelligent enemies who can act as a group, support each other, react to the player's actions, use special actions like Grapple, Trip, Sunder, Disarm, Ready Versus Spell or Swallow Whole and tactics like taking a Five-Foot step before casting Maximised Fireball on the player's party!

Join the Kickstarter Today and be sure to watch the KotC 2 Combat Videos and the Six-Minute Trailer! Thank you!! :)

The campaign's link is https://www.kickstarter.com/project...e-2-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs?ref=bkjgzh.

You can also read about the Character Classes at http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/FWE/Pages/FWE_Title.htm.

KotC 1 has a Free Demo that can be downloaded at http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/Download.htm and from Steam at https://store.steampowered.com/app/1083760/Knights_of_the_Chalice/.

Only Four Days To Go: Let's Keep Spreading the Word! :)
All of the following links can be used to help us reach the Next Social Goals and further increase awareness of the Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter campaign among CRPG lovers:

You can also do the following:

• Join our mailing list by registering on HeroicFantasyGames.com forums!
  • Join us on Discord by following the Discord Invite Link!
  • Please feel free to download the updated promo pack for KotC 2 if you would like to promote the campaign with images, text or animated GIFs.
  • Feel Free to Keep Spreading the Word to your friends and on Reddit, Discord, Steam forums, GOG forums, Skype, Zoom, Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, Kickstarter, gaming news websites, indie game developer forums, CRPG forums, D&D forums and Pathfinder forums, so that the KotC 2 campaign will reach the Next Stretch Goal very soon! :)
The next video in support of the KotC 2 Kickstarter campaign will be published tomorrow! It will be the Fifth KotC 2 Combat Video!

The next non-video update about KotC 2 will be published on 29 June. It will present the Last Three Companions!

Only Four Days To Go! Hang On For The Final Sprint!! ^^
The Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter ends in only 4 Days! The Time is drawing Nigh, ever so Nigh!! :)

A Den of Stinking Evil is waiting for your Heroic Party!! Brace Yourself For the Ultimate Challenge!! :D

curds

Magister
Backed at Champion tier.

Incidentally, this will be the first time in about nine years that I will be playing a game on its day of release.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/posts/2877621

Update #28: Fifth Knights of the Chalice 2 Combat Video!

Fifth Knights of the Chalice 2 Combat Video

I have just uploaded the ninth video in support of the Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter campaign. The new video is the Fifth Combat Video of KotC 2 Augury of Chaos as part of a series of Five Combat Videos. The link on Youtube is https://youtu.be/Lw7fFvkCBwY. Please feel free to share the link and post comments here or on the Youtube page! :)

This Combat Video concludes the KotC 2 Combat Video series. :)

Stretch Goals & Social Goals Report And Links
As we're getting closer to the last 48 hours of the campaign, the number of backers is increasing and we're getting closer to the campaign's Fifth Stretch Goal! When I checked a bit earlier, we were about 50 backers away from the Fifth Stretch Goal! Thank You, Valiant Knights! ^^

We're also only nine clicks away from the Next Social Goal for the Facebook Likes and Shares, which includes the number of times the KotC 2 Features page and Screenshots page and the KotC 1 Features page and Screenshots page have been recommended through the Facebook buttons on these pages.

ac9c35bf3f0d33e2f699474354fa68d7_original.png

All of the following links can be used to help us reach the Next Social Goals and Further Increase Awareness of the Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter campaign among CRPG lovers:

Please feel free to download the promo pack for KotC 2 if you would like to promote the campaign with images, text or animated GIFs.

You can also join our mailing list by registering on the HeroicFantasyGames.com forums. Finally, you can join us on Discord by following the Discord Invite Link! :)

The next update about KotC 2 will be published tomorrow! It will include both the 13-Minute Version of the KotC 2 Trailer and the update about the Last Three Companions!

The update about the Necromancer Character Class in KotC 2 will be published on 30 June! The KotC 2 Kickstarter campaign will end on 2 July!

Only Three Days To Go! Hang On For The Final Sprint!! ^^
The Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter ends in only Three Days! The Great Incline is Close at Hand!! :D

Please Keep Spreading the Word while there is still a bit of time left to Repel the Forces of Chaos!! Thank You, Legendary Heroes of the Kingdom!! :)

BlueSalamander

Heroic Fantasy Games
Developer
Are there any plans of converting Kotc 1 into a Kotc2 module?
It might happen down the line. I think that's a cool idea! :)

About the respec thing, it only concerns the feats and spells of the last level-up. It's there in case if you realise that your selection isn't as useful as you thought it would be, based on your playing style. I expect that challenge playthroughs such as those that would unlock Steam achievements will require you not to use this feature. :cool:

Thank you for your support everyone!! Only three days left now! Incline Is Nigh, So Nigh!! :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom