Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Die Together in ADOM: I have no idea what I'm doing Edition

Andnjord

Arcane
The Adventures of Dayyaladina

CHAPTER 2
: Wretched Mutt!
Part 1

I7AJUPG.png
Very well, He Who Rageth hath answered me. He hath told me a young girl hath a quest that is worthy of my talents in the village of Tenriyo. Thou shall lead me there at once, impudent one!

Yes, mistress.
Wait, the little girl at Tenriyo, are you sure?

I7AJUPG.png
Art thou doubting me and He Who Rages?

No, no, I never would :D

I7AJUPG.png
Thine impudence hast been noted and shall be punished in time. Onwards!

I7AJUPG.png
Little one! Reveal thy need to me, He Who Rageth hath deigned it worthy of my faith!

8bhEkNM.png

cAuy4fI.png

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Hell of a quest your God has given you!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I7AJUPG.png
Impertinent scoundrel! It is obvious that He Who Rageth hath sent me to use this girl as a lesson for the others! As she learneth to rely on others for her needs, she shall grow weak and defenseless and perish in the most horrendous of sufferings! The others will learn from her tale and avoid that wretched weakness so typical of humans!

Ooookay mistress. Anyways, let's buy some supplies and go to that cave, who am I to judge.

ZGaTNxb.png

Mistress, you bought too many supplies and it is slowing you down, are you sure about it?

I7AJUPG.png
Nonsense! I am merely proving my strength to He Who Ragths, in return, he will make me stronger!

When carrying heavy loads for too long you can end up raising your strength level. Despite the malus we'll be fine against most varieties of monsters, and if something scary comes along we can always drop a ration.

LO2VIq1.png

E1k1QJ9.png

I7AJUPG.png
A staircase leading downward! I shall remember its position but cleanse this level first to prove my worth!

HTIEr0h.png

I7AJUPG.png
I feel stronger now.

It really is quite something to see the difference in leveling speed compared to Trollbaud.

zppPd9j.png

Thank you Dayyaladina! You've already gone far above that poor Trollbaud!

I7AJUPG.png
I shall now attempt to read that tome I found before, I should learn to harness to power of magic in my search for perfection!

Harry Potter Was An Inside Job: How The Ministry Of Magic Controls the Masses

Let's take a brief moment to look at the magic system now.

Oh, the mistress is letting me do it? Sweet!

In ADOM, you learn magic spells by reading them off Magic Tomes like the ones that Trollbaud couldn't read. Depending on your literacy, you will earn a certain amount of Spell Points that will be consumed every time you cast the spell contained within the book. You can only read a book a limited amount of times, however, so you should always cast spells sparingly. Furthermore, reading a book takes a significant of in-game turns, so you can't just replenish your supply in the middle of combat.

You can also cast directly from reading the books, which doesn't take more than one normal turn. The issue is that this counts as a normal reading of it, meaning that you get just one cast out of a reading rather than the several when you memorize from it.

10065.jpg
Stop right here!

10065.jpg
Casting from books doesn't use up the book in any way. This is the main appeal of this option. You can actually consider this to be a decent trade-off: it takes roughly 3x the time to cast the spell and ~4x times the mana cost (depends on class), which can be brought down with certain talents. Bookcasting also doesn't increase your proficiency with the spell.
And also, you need to carry the 100s thing around which can become a bother at some point.

10065.jpg
For practical applications, this obviously lets you cast a spell forever, which is nice for spells you tend to use a lot and don't care about casting it quickly in combat. There are a few, but I feel like I'm spoiling you enough already. It also lets you train your concentration (and iirc the Mana attribute should be trained by casting), because it eats up a good chunk of your mana, and you want to train your concentration as it helps with mana regeneration but also with reading further spellbooks (higher chance and more knowledge gained).

Ah, thank you for your contribution kind sir!

Casting spells uses you Power Points (PP) of which Dayyaladina only has 13 currently. You get PP from the Mana and Willpower stats, albeit at a higher rate from the former but the latter has additional benefits. IF you were to run out of PP, you can also use some of you HP to cast, obviously a riskier proposition.

There are also scrolls, which function as normal RPG fare that can be read for a one-off spellcast. Quoting from the wiki:

"All scrolls weigh 2 stones which allows most PCs to carry large amounts of them at all times. This is often considered a practical approach, as scrolls provide a broad range of effects invaluable in both common and critical situations."

The PC can also write down his own scrolls.

That's it for now, there is more to magic in the game, but I haven't gotten into it yet, so we'll go back to it in due time.

Also, for all of this reading to work, you need a decent literacy score.

e08Iwdj.png

I7AJUPG.png
Pathetic creature of leather and paper! How dare thee refuse thyself to me! I shall attempt to conquer you again soon!

Mistress, your....your you know what seems to be...perkier than usual.

I7AJUPG.png
Impudent insect! How dare thee even notice this! Thou shall give yourself the whip to cleanse thine impure mind!
I7AJUPG.png
But thou art correct, something is not right here.

DCcI4a9.png

I7AJUPG.png
Of course, carrots!

Mistress, I beg to differ, it has to be something else.
b6pzxEo.png

lJ6upGK.png

I7AJUPG.png
What could this be...He Who Rageth, grant me Thy Wisdom.

9Tk1aj4.png

Honestly I have no idea what that thing was. Was it an Altar? I had forgotten what the key for sacrifices was at that moment, so I didn't test it.

Let's leave it for now mistress, we can always come back to it later.

I7AJUPG.png
Very well sinful one, thine advice is sound for o...I feel stronger now!

Again? Oh...
U2jXXiX.png

I7AJUPG.png
My labour hath been rewarded.

We meet a few slightly nastier creatures than usual while exploring the level, but most of them are isolated and prove to be no match.

zXnMUJ0.png

Also...

pPC7VgJ.png

I7AJUPG.png
What is this sorcery?!?

I think that's a corruption trap, I'll tell you about it later.

I7AJUPG.png
Pah, no matter this level needs to be cleansed of its weak...AAAAAIEYGGGG!!!

Jz7R9FO.png

There's too many of them mistress, run!

B2RlTk0.png

D3HGM37.png
I7AJUPG.png
Nonsense, they shall all fall to my spear! I shall fight in this corridor and defeat them one by one!

We kill a few of the more nondescript ones, but then the scariest opponent takes its turn.

qOtGBca.png

A1CUUas.png
Kill-kill! Me score touchdown now!

I7AJUPG.png
Come and taste my blade, miserable insect!

You can't fight defensively, he's regenerating too fast!

I7AJUPG.png
YYYYYAAAAAR! BERSERKER MODE!!!!!

E6TTWfF.png

SPLAT

The rest of the opponents are quickly defeated.

I7AJUPG.png
I feel stronger now.
And He Who Rageth hath blessed me with the first of many powers.

sjc6p5F.png

For context, Trollbaud lasted 2000 turns. Also, new talent.

KdLQB6e.png

Great job mistress, now let's loot the bodies and continue onward!

Quick update for now, but rest assured Part 2 is coming soon (tm)

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
A few notes to your notes on the magic:
In ADOM, you learn magic spells by reading them off Magic Tomes like the ones that Trollbaud couldn't read. Depending on your literacy, you will earn a certain amount of Spell Points that will be consumed every time you cast the spell contained within the book. You can only read a book a limited amount of times, however, so you should always cast spells sparingly. Furthermore, reading a book takes a significant of in-game turns, so you can't just replenish your supply in the middle of combat.

You can also cast directly from reading the books, which doesn't take more than one normal turn. The issue is that this counts as a normal reading of it, meaning that you get just one cast out of a reading rather than the several when you memorize from it.

Unless it was changed in some of the recent versions, casting from books shouldn't use up the book in any way. This used to be the main appeal of this option, so I'd be rather surprised.
You can actually consider this to be a decent trade-off: it takes roughly 3x the time to cast the spell and ~4x times the mana cost (depends on class), which can be brought down with certain talents.
Bookcasting also doesn't increase your proficiency with the spell.
And also, you need to carry the 100s thing around which can become a bother at some point.

For practical applications, this obviously lets you cast a spell forever, which is nice for spells you tend to use a lot and don't care about casting it quickly in combat. There are a few, but I feel like I'm spoiling you enough already.
It also lets you train your concentration (and iirc the Mana attribute should be trained by casting), because it eats up a good chunk of your mana, and you want to train your concentration as it helps with mana regeneration
but also with reading further spellbooks (higher chance and more knowledge gained).

While it's good practice to have decent literacy and concentration before starting to read books, you shouldn't be too discouraged when you fail your first reading,
especially since you're playing a magically-inclined class.
If you attempt to read something that is too powerful for you... you will know. But unless nothing bad happened, feel free to try again.

Andnjord

Arcane

CHAPTER 2: Wretched Mutt!
Part 2

Mistress, there is something not saintly here.

ZROo8dZ.png

B5qfVbT.png

I7AJUPG.png
Thy cowardice hast been noted impudent one, but I shall continue onward and plunder the depths of this pathetic place.

Gf2rz8W.png

A Dorf!

DbnBIKz.png

I7AJUPG.png
An insect, like all the others

O4ZRPSb.png

Mithril! No idea what we can do with it, but let's grab it.

I7AJUPG.png
If thou dost not know, then what is thy purpose here, cowardly one?

Well........I am your chronicler recording your deeds for future inspiration, to teach the coming generations?

I7AJUPG.png
Thou art a useless one then, once I will have ascended there will only be chaos and strife, and the strong that have survived shall have no need of thine 'chronicles'.

You hurt me mistress.

I7AJUPG.png
It is for thine own good!

We finish exploring the level, adding a varied fauna to our knowledge, but to no real risk to ourselves.

OzqLpmK.png

Y7pW1CP.png

AMRqmc1.png

gWHw192.png

I7AJUPG.png
Ha! A mighty amulet! He Who Rageth has seen fit to bless me again! I shall wear it at once.

Wait, you how come you're not turning back to your original self?

LFiRy9X.png
He Who Rageth hath decided to keep me in this form for a reason, he shall take it away when and if neces...

LFiRy9X.png
IMPUDENT WENCH!

Pardon me mistress.

I7AJUPG.png
I shall flagellate thy skin immediately, that will be thy punishment!

Yes mistress! :bounce:

pg1bQeu.png

We reach the second level without much more incidents, but after going through a few mobs we open a door and ....

FLAAAAAAAAAASH!

XnbpLQC.png

Our dearest mistress is actually right at the center of the screen, we can act normally enough but we can't see ourselves or enemies nor can we reveal more of the map.

I7AJUPG.png
THY FLASH IS AN INSULT TO THE PERFECTION HE HATH GRANTED ME!!!

*quickly checks wiki* Don't worry mistress, the effect will be only temporary!

I7AJUPG.png
Very well, I shall wait patiently for HIM to give me back my sight.

13806.jpg
Squeak?
6v940i9.png

I7AJUPG.png
Insolent one! Thou triest to sneak up on me! Now taste my wroth!

Well done mistress!

sz6zagp.png

I7AJUPG.png
Sinful one, what is this unholy thing standing in front of me?

Ooooooh, that is an altar. It's an altar of neutrality mistress.

I7AJUPG.png
An affront to He Who Rageth!

0Y5ngT6.png

Kick!

*holds breath*

djJBco6.png

Please don't do that again mistress, please.

I7AJUPG.png
Very well, I shall grant thee thy wish this once. He Who Rageth hath already established His dominance now.

Apparently you can break altars by kicking them. I have no wish to see what happens when you do.

We meet new and fascinating creature while continuing to explore, studying them thoroughly and in great detail before eviscerating them in great lumps of gore. Also, random skill-ups.

4W7ZFVW.png

UVPfUzV.png

Until a great danger arises!

8EAvOR5.png

I7AJUPG.png
Thou
movest like an insect. Thou think like an insect. Thou will die like an insect!

I7AJUPG.png
I feel stronger now

YGjq0Kq.png

Those ants are not too bad, but their numbers are starting to tell as they keep respawning rapidly.

wH10U7a.png

I7AJUPG.png
THOU SHALL DIE BY MY SPEAR!!!

zIBSo8S.png

Oh noes...there's too many of them...they will overwhelm you mistress...what a great tragedy....what will the world ever do without you...

I7AJUPG.png
HE WHO RAGETH! GRANT ME THY STRENGTH IN THIS HOUR! DO NOT LET THY FAITHFUL SERVANT FALTER!

kkGhC5D.png

shit

Shame Trollbaud didn't know about healing prayers :negative:

P1pA8Oe.png

I7AJUPG.png
Got to...reach...the stairs

vyZrHpH.png

vWRoPXB.png

I try to run away from them in the hopes they'll give up, but they follow Dayya all around the level, even the ones that spawned out of sight. Only chance is to change level. Down we go then.

JQQbQtj.png

I7AJUPG.png
MISERABLE IMPUDENT WRETCH! I HEARD THINE REJOICING AT MY IMPENDING DOOM! COME HERE FOR I NEED TO CHASTISE THEE!

While our narrator is enjoying suffering his just chastisement, let us take a moment to look at the updated stats of our mistress.

hHJlYAq.png

Strength has gone up as well as Dexterity. Our speed should be higher too but we are still encumbered. Our To Hit bonus has also gone significantly up, I think it was at +7 when we started.

CMWGTSu.png

Most notable skill increases are Dodge, Healing and Literacy. I'd like to keep on increasing Literacy (not good enough to decipher the one Tome we have found so far) and start working on Concentration next (helps with PP regen and other stuff I believe, more on that when we actually start casting magic).

omQnnAW.png

Pole arms have gone up obviously, but so have Clubs and Hammers (no idea why). Should we find a decent one we might consider switching to that and a shield.

Back to our regular programming.

I7AJUPG.png
That is enough punishment for now, we shall continue later and thou will thank me for it.

Thank you mistress :bounce:

Not much of note, until we find this seemingly non-descript room with only a few weak mobs...

GjKHykh.png

Until one of them randomly disappear, having apparently stepped on this:

ngRb3gS.png

Maybe I'll consider stepping on it if our esteemed audience desires so.

I7AJUPG.png
Insolent door, thou will not stop me!

Kick!

It's a trap!

After kicking down a door, a few sections of wall disappear leaving behind a horde of gobbos that immediately attack our mistress.

1YZwfFc.png

HHOkXsy.png

I7AJUPG.png
Miserable insects! I shall end thee!

Artist impression of Dayyaladina as she slaughters the 30-odd gobbos:

JT1OPr9.png

I7AJUPG.png
These creatures are no match for my spear.

Would you care for a higher challenge?

g2AwnIi.png

I7AJUPG.png
Insufficient

Splat

Maybe this one?

4U0kl93.png

I7AJUPG.png
His magic is pathetic and too feeble to stand against my faith.

Strunk

PX9yBZr.png

I7AJUPG.png
I have now reached the fourth level of this miserable place. Time for me to rest and administer thee thy penance. Now come here, impudent wench!

Yes mistress...

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
I like it how your first instinct when interacting with things is to kick it.
An unaligned altar is obviously of little use to you, but an attempt can be made to convert it by triggering a power struggle between the entities.
I think it's a rather in-charater thing to do for a paladin. It's a bit risky, because the results can be unpredictable, but the typical approach is to sacrifice a live critter on the altar.
The command is Shift + O and you need to lure the critter over the altar for it to work.

Last edited:

garren

Arcane
Patron
Troll beastfighter, name: Long John

Tip: don't use weapons, beastfighters fight with their fists or they get massive penalties. Also a tip about altars, don't EVER EVER stand on them directly when there is a sentient enemy nearby, close all the doors to the room before you step on the altar. Err... just a hint ;)

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
A few notes to your notes on the magic:

Unless it was changed in some of the recent versions, casting from books shouldn't use up the book in any way. This used to be the main appeal of this option, so I'd be rather surprised.
You can actually consider this to be a decent trade-off: it takes roughly 3x the time to cast the spell and ~4x times the mana cost (depends on class), which can be brought down with certain talents.
Bookcasting also doesn't increase your proficiency with the spell.

For practical applications, this obviously lets you cast a spell forever, which is nice for spells you tend to use a lot and don't care about casting it quickly in combat. There are a few, but I feel like I'm spoiling you enough already.
It also lets you train your concentration (and iirc the Mana attribute should be trained by casting), because it eats up a good chunk of your mana, and you want to train your concentration as it helps with mana regeneration
but also with reading further spellbooks (higher chance and more knowledge gained).

While it's good practice to have decent literacy and concentration before starting to read books, you shouldn't be too discouraged when you fail your first reading,
especially since you're playing a magically-inclined class.
If you attempt to read something that is too powerful for you... you will know. But unless nothing bad happened, feel free to try again.
You're right, I double checked the wiki and got it completely backwards. I'll edit the magic notes with your corrections!

I like it how your first instinct when interacting things is kicking it.
An unaligned altar is obviously of little use to you, but an attempt can be made to convert it by triggering a power struggle between the entities.
I think it's a rather in-charater thing to do for a paladin. It's a bit risky, because the results can be unpredictable, but the typical approach is to sacrifice a live critter on the altar.
The command is Shift + O and you need to lure the critter over the altar for it to work.
That's a great idea! I saw you could do something like that from the wiki, but forgot to try it. I'll give this a shot as soon as possible.
And yeah about the kicking. One has to try things out in rigorous empirical research, right?

Troll beastfighter, name: Long John

Tip: don't use weapons, beastfighters fight with their fists or they get massive penalties. Also a tip about altars, don't EVER EVER stand on them directly when there is a sentient enemy nearby, close all the doors to the room before you step on the altar. Err... just a hint ;)
Welcome to The List! And you know that I'm going to have to try that at some point.

you lucky bastard. if you like scyfy you'll enjoy it A LOT!
It's been on my To Play list for a long while now, together with Thief and actually finishing Deus EX. (I know, I shall go and castigate myself now)

Last edited:

shywn

Savant
You need to work on your thee/thy/thine. You use 'thine' when 'thy' would be correct.

○ Thine impudence - correct.
x thine need - wrong. thy need.
x refuse thineself to me - not sure thineself is even a word that exists. use thyself.
x grant me Thine Wisdom - wrong. thy wisdom.
x Thine cowardice - wrong. thy cowardice.
○ for thine own good - correct.
○ grant thee thy wish - correct.
○ administer thee thy penance - correct.

simple rule: a need? an existence? thy need. thine existence.
use thy when the word following requires 'a', use thine when the word requires an 'an'.
(also use 'thine' when you would use 'mine' -- this cowardice of thine.)

Also, kicking is a pretty good response. Many noobs have been thwarted by the first locked door, never realising that you can kick them down.

Do you still have the torch equipped, by the way?

ahXM11N.png

Well, now we know why Dayyaladina shows so much skin.

vazha

Arcane
Reporting for duty, Vazha The Blessed, Dwarf Beastfighter. Basically roleplay BRIAN BLESSED snout-punching polar bears and grabbing silverbacks by cojones. Excellent lp so far!

Last edited:

Johannes

Arcane
Reporting for a Male Drakeling Barbarian. Once did a speedrun with this class, it was the fastest non-caster playthrough when I did it (may still be, don't know - that was in the old 1.1.1. version, would have to play a bit differently in the new one). Maybe it'll work for you as well.

Andnjord

Arcane

CHAPTER 2: Wretched Mutt!
Part 3

I7AJUPG.png
Thy punishment is completed for now, sinful one.

Thank you mistress. We're on our last ration, should we head back out and resupply?

I7AJUPG.png
In time, I shall finish exploring this level first. Something untoward lives here and needs to be cleansed.

x1yVJOK.png

Into level 4 we go.

RyLsOCW.png

SWaG96i.png

13806.jpg
Kill-kill! For the brood-mother!

13806.jpg
Yes-yes! Kill Orc-thing!

I7AJUPG.png
Welcome to my world, rodent!

Mistress! More of those ants!

Oyl8aly.png

I7AJUPG.png
Wretched insects! I will use a heavy stone to stop them!

Ad75loE.png

I Drop a stone on the entrance the ants use to spawn. I think it worked, but I didn't stick around very long to double-check.

Mistress, you are not going to drink from this?

BM9F4vO.png

I7AJUPG.png
I will! It shall be a test for my strength!

DAjcjL7.png

I7AJUPG.png
As I had foreseen, it is powerless over me!

Was something supposed to happen?

I7AJUPG.png
I feel stronger now

xaGxVHE.png

xkxDOQh.png

Swooon. Mistress, you're looking more...savagely beautiful...

I7AJUPG.png
It is only natural that thy weak nature would notice. I shall be merciful and let thee castigate thyself this once.

Thank you mistress. Time to go back to Tenriyo mistress, our rations are finished. We only have a bit of candy left, should be tasty though.

I7AJUPG.png
Ugh, the food of weakness. I shall consume it nevertheless, to test my resolve.

EbMCP6X.png

We make a quick trip to Tenriyo and the evil village familiar to Trollbaud to sell some junk. To sell items in ADOM, you have to stand inside the shop, go into your inventory, select an item, drop it on the ground, then accept the offer the merchant makes you (I assume your haggling skill influences that offer). The trouble is my game crashes all the time when interacting with the inventory screen, so I have to save all the time (which being a rogue-like means exiting to the main menu then reloading the save). It's a painful process.

N1BBORm.png

And we still can't manage to decipher the sooty tome!

OPLL2Zc.png

I7AJUPG.png
I shall conquer thee! One day!

Level 5:

We finally reach what isn't some small winding corridors, I was starting to be worried that we would be able to corridor camp all game long.

VCcgrXz.png

I7AJUPG.png
Feeble creatures!

4eTDAAC.png

kzZXWTh.png

t8gkX9m.png

cDFYwqM.png

I7AJUPG.png
Excellent! I shall use this scroll with great wisdom and discernment, only to identify the mightiest of...

SPLAAAASH!

wC9DD7y.png

I7AJUPG.png
....nevermind...

TjLmB0L.png
Impudent wench!
This is gonna be good :avatard:

I7AJUPG.png
I beg your pardon?

TjLmB0L.png
I shall smite thee for thy weakness!
sFkmv51.png

GOR6Uk5.png

I7AJUPG.png
HERETICAL SINNER! HOW DARE THEE USURP MY HALLOWED SHAPE!

TjLmB0L.png
Let me chastise thee!

I7AJUPG.png
I shall scourge thee!

TjLmB0L.png
Thou shall suffer!

I7AJUPG.png
Thine arrogance shall be thy downfall!

SEXY MUD-WRESTLING CAT-FIGHT! :kingcomrade:

b1cdWJf.png

I7AJUPG.png
I condemn thee to three-hundred and thirty-three years in the deepest ring of hell!!

TjLmB0L.png
AAAAAYEEEGH!!!
xXud4Tq.png

Well done mistress!

I7AJUPG.png
Do not think I didn't notice thy lurid excitement, thou shall...

13806.jpg
Squeak? (Avez-vous besoin d'aide mademoiselle?)

lE0NdyJ.png

NIBOu17.png

I7AJUPG.png
Insect! Do you not see I am administering divine justice! Thou shall pay the price for thine impudence!

13806.jpg
SQUEEEEEEK! (Mais je ne faisais que passer! Laissez moi tranquille mademoiselle!)
4APjWeU.png

I7AJUPG.png
Witness true power!

13806.jpg
...squeak...(Dites à ma femme et mes 23 enfants que je les aime....) :deadtroll:

That guy was marked as a boss, but beyond making our equipment smell I didn't notice him doing anything too dangerous.

JTbswEN.png
Gigglesquee! Let me sing you the song of my people!

5v2QWV5.png

I7AJUPG.png
Such heretical sounds, I must stay strong....stay strong...stay....

HLq0NZO.png

Mistress! Wake up!

I7AJUPG.png
Make them suffer! Extreme pain is what they need to feel for the rest of their lives! Misery and Despair leave their souls when infinity ends!

Whoever guesses the band or song gets bumped by one in The List. I trust your gentlemen's honor to not google it

AVUuVNr.png

JTbswEN.png
GIGGLESQUEEEEEEEEaaaaaaargh....

I7AJUPG.png
All this fighting has made me hungry, I shall consume the meat of that creature I vanquished earlier.

S0PEmMe.png

The beast in question. It didn't put up much of a fight. Apparently you can get some extra powers from consuming the corpses of select monsters, so it pays to have a varied diet.

pnxnV8v.png

Mistress, are you alright?

cdYzitJ.png

I7AJUPG.png
Labor is a commodity, like any other, and its price is therefore determined by exactly the same laws that apply to other commodities.

YFQ2tCN.png

This doesn't sound good...

I7AJUPG.png
In a regime of big industry or of free competition – as we shall see, the two come to the same thing – the price of a commodity is, on the average, always equal to its cost of production

Mistress!

I7AJUPG.png
Yes sinful one, what is thy problem? Dost thee require thine punishment?

Oh, nevermind mistress, you're back to normal.

Level 6:

gj6JAI6.png

I7AJUPG.png
At last! I can sense that I have reached the final level! Glory awaits!

3o8frVq.png

I7AJUPG.png
I was right! Witness here the final resting place of that monstrous creature that girl called 'pet'.

Honestly mistress, sometimes I think we see the world slightly differently.

I7AJUPG.png
That is because thou art weak. But worry not, I shall teach thee and in time thou shall see more clearly.

Yes mistress.

iXN2Cvj.png

pQLGtB6.png

We find four rooms like these, jammed packed full of gnolls, but thanks to our superior tactics (standing in a corridor) they never pose a threat.

We do get a lot of XP for it though.
1lt8eTp.png

uOQMVjX.png

2337.jpg
Does someone need an operation? I have some candles here at the ready.

I7AJUPG.png
Infidel! Thou defiles the sanctity of death!

NOpbKQV.png

2337.jpg
Please be quiet lady, you are disturbing the rest of my friends here. Now why don't you...strunk! :deadtroll:

Well fought mistress, look at all the gold he was carrying!

NAysi9e.png

I7AJUPG.png
Ah yes, the famous Danegeld.

8848.jpg
Icewind Dale or BG II, which is better and why? Discuss!!
Nddr3Qy.png

I7AJUPG.png
Well, they both have their merits, and each should be taken in the context of...

h1BAlTd.png

It's a trap mistress! Don't engage at all!

I7AJUPG.png
Arrr! Thine incoherent babbling have gone on for too long!

I7AJUPG.png
Excellent, this place has been cleansed of its sin and weakness. Let us head back to the village and announce the good news to the little girl. I have become stronger

1SY3QRV.png

Back at Tenriyo

5b94bnr.png

I7AJUPG.png
Yes pathetic one, thy puppy was torn to pieces, its head mangled beyond all recognition and its belly torn apart. I have brought thee its mortal coil so that thou might feed upon it.

W6UwZQt.png

That was pretty harsh mistress.

I7AJUPG.png
Nonsense, I am merely hardening her to the travails of the world. If she wants to ascend to the Heavens she will have to learn the bitter truth that the world is strife and suffering.

Hum....certainly. Let's have a look at our loot and figure out where we're going next.

I7AJUPG.png
Yes, He Who Rages has blessed me with many items of great power.

yvlbHYE.png

jIddzIZ.png

wGb9UM2.png

In the absence of a chaotic altar we can actually use (yes, you can identify items at altars in ADOM. There are also spells and racial traits, but we have neither), our only means of identification so far is by directly equipping the items. We are SO going to get a cursed item sooner rather than later

I7AJUPG.png
And He has made me stronger.

88TppOR.png

I7AJUPG.png
And I have finally vanquished thee, miserable book!

9jveZ4i.png

Our first spell! We'll look at it a little bit more later on.

I7AJUPG.png
Now leave me, I need to pray to He Who Rages for counsel now.

Alright, voting time!

A. Do the Druid quest.
B. Finish the first dungeon.
C. Wildcard. Propose something different, doesn't matter if you have any idea what it actually is. I'll count the total of C votes and if C wins I will pick one of the suggestions at random and do my best to fulfill your desire.

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
Just realised I made a mess of the voting options, it now sane and rational. tindrli , I'm assuming you want to finish the first dungeon, correct?

You need to work on your thee/thy/thine. You use 'thine' when 'thy' would be correct.
Thanks A LOT for this. I am not a native english speaker and never had that stuff explained to me, I was just going by instinct.

Do you still have the torch equipped, by the way?
Sure do boss.

Reporting for the duty, Vazha The Blessed, Dwarf Beastfighter. Basically roleplay BRIAN BLESSED snout-punching polar bears and grabbing silverbacks by cojones. Excellent lp so far!
Reporting for a Male Drakeling Barbarian. Once did a speedrun with this class, it was the fastest non-caster playthrough when I did it (may still be, don't know - that was in the old 1.1.1. version, would have to play a bit differently in the new one). Maybe it'll work for you as well.
Welcome aboard gentlemen!
Well, now we know why Dayyaladina shows so much skin.
I7AJUPG.png
Impudent wench! I am only showing what He Who Rages has deigned sufficient, no more, no less! Thou shall recite the gospel of Sauron thirteen times as penance!

spectre

Arcane
In the absence of a chaotic altar we can actually use (yes, you can identify items at altars in ADOM. There are also spells and racial traits, but we have neither), our only means of identification so far is by directly equipping the items.
We are SO going to get a cursed item sooner rather than later
Just dropping by to say, altar identification doesn't really identify the item's stats, only its blessed/uncursed/cursed status. I'm pretty sure you didn't go over this yet, so I'll let you do it at your own leisure.
Wielding and item will ID its stats and tell you immediately if it's cursed, but it shouldn't tell you if it's blessed (because it's not a characteristic that's immediately visible). If you want to avoid this inconvenience,
scrolls of identify are rather plentiful, and will identify all your shit in one reading if blessed.
There is also one more "level" of identification, scrolls of greater identify will give you a super detailed list of item properties, most importantly if they give you any special abilities that are not listed in the standard inventory view.
(like resistance to something) It's a waste to use it on ordinary items, but rather useful on special items.

Finding the good stuff among all the trash is one of the challenges in ADOM, but there are some tricks that can help you. First thing to look at is item weight and how they stack and see if anything looks out of the ordinary.
Let's look at this screenshot for instance:
NAysi9e.png
Looking at that pile of weapons above, you will notice two battle axes stand apart from the stack of three, meaning the stack of three is most likely uncursed, because that's the most common item condition, one of the axes is probably cursed and the other might be blessed.
Probably not worth it to try it out.
You will also notice that the large hammer has an atypical weight (most often these will be nice, rounded values), which should draw your attention to it.
It's actually made of adamantium - normal large hammers weight 120s, generally speaking, lighter stuff is better and indicates high quality metal is used
In ASCII mode you could also tell if an item was "interesting" if it had an atypical color. Not sure if the sprites reflect that as well, but it pays to be attentive.
Since this is a devious roguelike, sometimes the "shiny stuff" is not really what it seems, but let's... not spoil the surprise.

Can't tell by the screenshots if you cleaned that vault level good an proper, but you got some phat lewt, so I assume you did. Pays to be anal with the search command on every dead end.

On a final note: if you want a quick and dirty resource for your Early Modern English:
https://www.cummingsstudyguides.net/xThou.html
https://amovitam.ca/tag/i-havethou-hasthe-hath/
especially the latter should slightly up your game as far as verbs are concerned.

Andnjord

Arcane
Sorry gentlemen, had to drive around the country for the week to bring my mother to a specialised clinic ( :negative: ) and only came back home yesterday after an all day drive. I'll get back to this tomorrow and at least play some more, won't promise an update yet but this is totally not dead lads!

Also, as might be obvious, I was going into a lot of detail initially as everything was new and shiny (compare Baud's first updates to Dayya's last one), but moving forward I'll skip a lot more stuff. That way we'll get to see more characters once Dayyaladina inevitably dies horribly ascends to divinity.

Andnjord

Arcane

CHAPTER 3: Her future ascension

I7AJUPG.png
Impudent one, where hast thou been?

I'm sorry mistress, my familial duties prevented me from attending my tasks towards you.

I7AJUPG.png
Then thy family is weak and should be left to fend for itself, thy chronicling of my future ascension is of paramount importance!

...Yes mistress...

I7AJUPG.png
Good! Now takes notes, I have been busy in thine absence.

I7AJUPG.png
I came back to that wretched altar of neutrality, its taint was unbearable to me and I had to cleanse it in the name of He Who Rageth!

KIdYrUo.png

I7AJUPG.png
The one who kills, although offended by my actions, was too weak to stop me from defiling his altar. Sacrificing a few of his creatures was enough to convert the altar to His side, He Who Rageth.

uvp9AIg.png

There are some shenanigans happening with what is the alignment of the creature being sacrificed, but I can't pretend to really understand it all just yet.

I7AJUPG.png
I proceeded to dedicate to the altar as a first sacrifice the corpse of that wretched dog, as a symbol of the weakness of the local populace.

TAPiOCz.png

I7AJUPG.png
Using the altar, He Who Rageth blessed me with the knowledge of my equipment. I had acquired many an item of great power thanks to his blessings.

gNJjxfK.png

wcK8kou.png

IJ1UrB1.png

Our starting spear is better as it is both blessed AND made of mithril so I switched back to it
FNNTJir.png

tQJOsEK.png

As pointed by spectre, there are two phases to identification, first, wether an item is Blessed/Normal/Cursed, which can be determined by dropping an item on an altar, and second by equipping and/or using an Identify Item spell (or scroll) where you see if an item gives you bonuses. It's worth pointing out that many items can have extra properties that only get revealed eith the Identify Item spell.
We got lucky because one of the Identify Item scroll was of the Blessed variety, which identified a ton of items as you can see on the two above screens.

It should be obvious that blessed Identify scrolls are extreeemely useful considering the amount of loot one can find. Mercifully, it is actually quite easy to obtain them. Grab a Bottle of Water, drop it on an altar of the right alignment and you get some Holy Water. You can then dip any scroll in the Holy Water and it becomes blessed! I don't believe you can do that with normal items, however.

I7AJUPG.png
Some pathetic creatures tried to stop me on my wait out, but they were of no consequence.

SWYpmHr.png

aHcHrwo.png

I7AJUPG.png
I then proceeded to finish cleansing the first dungeon I had encountered several days ago, but it turned out to be of no consequence as it contained only a single unexplored floor and a pathetic succession of weak creature unworthy of my rage.

EVT6aRi.png

No seriously, we were completely outleveling that dungeon, and the only amusing thing was that nonhostile kobold that kept barking and laughing.

I am most impressed mistress, do you have any plans now?

I7AJUPG.png
Indeed I do sinful one. First of all, the leader of the village full of weaklings informed me of two quests, thus revealing his wretched weakness by asking for my help.

5uu31l0.png

c7lHvJb.png

QODSB5l.png

I7AJUPG.png
But first, I have other plans. In my recent travels I discovered a charming and inviting cave North-west of the village that I desire exploring first. Hopefully, its denizens will prove more of a challenge to my abilities.

RiLtQWV.png

qaiSz4v.png

Hum...very charming indeed.

I7AJUPG.png
I knew thou could appreciate such exquisite and tasteful decoration,

umu5my2.png

I7AJUPG.png
Pah! Kobolds and bats! Beneath my abilities!

Yes mistress, but they seem to be awfully tougher than the usual breed of their kind.

8eozCZs.png

I7AJUPG.png
Nonsense! I shall dispense with these creatures as with all the others....There is something in the air here...

Yes mistress...there is some form of corruption happening....

We get these "You are getting corrupted" semi-regularly. From having a look at the wiki it shouldn't be much of a problem for a good while

I7AJUPG.png
He Who Rageth shall protect me. I fear nothing!

yHcmzFn.png

This creature is too dangerous mistress, we need to run away!

oCxwohn.png

I7AJUPG.png
....ouch...Thou might have a point here.

Use a potion of speed, we need to run away as fast as possible!

I7AJUPG.png
Nonsense! I shall not rely on any artificial help! Either I shall survive of my own skills or perish for my lack thereof!

I actually ran into a huge problem there. Everytime I tried to access the inventory or cast a spell the game would do this crash thing that I told you all about. Normally that's not too much of a problem, I save and quit often and oftentimes the game will be able to auto-save despite the semi-crash, and I've always been able to perform the action required after reloading.

Not this time though, the game auto-saved at the point I took the screenshot but never allowed me to use a spell or item

You're doing it mistress! The Rust monster is too slow!

I7AJUPG.png
Huff...puff...now t'is high time to heal myse...

VVK3_zpsst6oarlo.png
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!!!!!!!!!!! (Vengeance pour mon père bien aimé que vous aviez sauvagement occis dans l'épisode précédent!)

I7AJUPG.png
Oh for fuck's sake...

ZHUTqPo.png

I7AJUPG.png
He Who Rageth, hear me in my hour of need! Do not abandon your champion in her darkest hour!

VVK3_zpsst6oarlo.png
SQUEEEEK!!! (Point de salut pour vous, catin! Je ne vous laisserai point le temps de prier)

It's not working! The rat keeps interrupting your prayer!

LFiRy9X.png
Then I shall continue my quest in another plane, He Who Rageth will...

LFiRy9X.png
Impudent wretch!

Can't punish me if you're in the wrong plane! :bounce:

4r978sV.png

VVK3_zpsst6oarlo.png
Squeek. (L'heure de son glas a sonné. Qu'elle puisse expier ses péché dans le plus cruel des enfers.)

tDWM6he.png

vcVBHgt.png

UcvMVXg.png

HEm5krp.png

GzqPZAd.png

Thus ends the tale of Dayyaladina, a cruel mistress dedicated to eradicating weakness in the world, but also love, beauty, and art. Her alluring features were but a mask hiding a dark heart and a nefarious soul bent on the destruction of all that was good. May her dark soul forever be tormented in the deepest of hells, never to plague these peaceful lands again.

25wnowp.png

Bitch.

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
Going forward, I'm going to have to take things a bit slower, so expect a slighly longer update once a week hopefully. Life is not quite at murderfucking levels, but it ain't all easy ridin' at the moment.

In the meantime, enjoy ValeVelKal 's avatar for those who haven't looked into The List yet.

0mI5RG6.png

"Rock'n roll, babe"

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
My only complaint is, why the hell it's always rats?

I've never progressed far into ADOM, and this is deeply amusing. I'll miss the costant abuse, it was .... proper. Yes. Proper.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom