Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll]What sort of Racing Game does the codex indulge in?

What kind of game and what control method?

• Arcade racer with racing wheel and pedals

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Seeker
In My Safe Space
All mentioned games are old because publishers consider the racing genre dead and don't bother funding similar games. The few low budget games we actually get aren't worthy of your time.

DraQ

Arcane
Wiccan Ware Race in FFE and improving time records in "Homecoming" mission in CoaDE.
:obviously:
On a more serious note, the closest I've come to playing a racing game and enjoying (discounting some games on c64) it was Interstate '76.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I looked up the games you guys mentioned and most of them are old / not on steam. What are everyone's recommendations to play those? I've seen the modern racing sims on steam and Wreckfest is on my wishlist for when it gets properly discounted but is there a universally accepted good racing game?
Streets of SimCity is really something that's more enjoyable if you like the idea of driving around in a city you created.
Road Rash is pure unadulterated fun, at least the '90s ones were, haven't played the remake.
Gran Turismo is fine if you enjoy doing things a hundred times so you can shave off .0001 of a second off your time in order to advance in the game.
Need for Speed: Most Wanted ('05), is basically a dumb racing movie turned into a video game. Its nice.
Carmageddon and Burnout aren't really racing games in execution, but they're fun regardless.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Tend to avoid simulators like F1, Gran Turismo, Dirt Rally and other unfun games. I got a real car for that shit.
Those are still simcade gamepad-first games.

I looked up the games you guys mentioned and most of them are old / not on steam. What are everyone's recommendations to play those? I've seen the modern racing sims on steam and Wreckfest is on my wishlist for when it gets properly discounted but is there a universally accepted good racing game?
I did a post 2 years ago where I went over the sim titles, not much has changed, except two sequels. I've only really spent much time in AC and ACC out of these. All these games have their detractors and fanboys. While they can be played with a gamepad they're all basically wheel-first games.
- Assetto Corsa is still a go to due to mods which means you can drive most anything on most any track or open roads, and graphics mods/shader packs can make the game look great. (get Content Manager)
- Assetto Corsa Competizione cam out last year, still getting updates and (very competitively priced) DLC, but is only GT3 (soon GT4) cars. Usually agreed to be the closest simulation of these types of cars available. Most public players available (aside from iRacing), since it's all one series and not split like other games.
- rFactor 2 is starting to get a little long in the tooth, but still quite active.
- Automobilista stands out in that its base content is to a large extent South American. Small player base, but an outsize number of people swear it has the best force feedback of anything they've played.
- Automobilista 2 is still in early access, now on the Project Cars 2 engine, first impressions a few months ago were mediocre but they've done a number of updates since I bothered to check in on it.
- RaceRoom Racing Experience is F2P, plus DLC.
- iRacing has caught some flak recently over its tire model (a 9 year saga so far). Still the gold standard for multiplayer - in the other games multiplayer mostly means public lobbies or private community leagues, while iRacing has leagues, seasons, and ratings built in. Subscription + DLC means iRacing quickly becomes the most expensive racing sim, by far.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I like to play Forza due to its incloooosive nature. I feel safe playing it.

jHrhS04.jpg

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
1451: yes it seems like it. Despite every publisher being in overdrive to cash in in on nostalgia, they seem to take no notice of the potential of old racing games. I was surprised to hear that NFS3 and 4:Hot Pursuit had track editors and moddability, while still not being as faunting as Assetto Corsa or the like. Wonder if they're any good to play emulated.

normie: that's a disgusting amount of drift. Even as someone who doesn't have any experience in playing a realistic racing game, that's indeed tryhard / noobie looking. Isn't the point of drifting to pull of something difficult?

DraQ: that's(I'76) old as fuck. Or looks so anyway. Kinda reminds me of Gas Guzzlers which is I think the only modern game of its kind.

Morpheus Kitami: I can attest to RR being fun and still not stretching the concept of ''racing'' too far (at least in my mind). Same for Flatout 2. But Carmaggedon looks like Postal on wheels more than a racing game.

KazikluBey: I think that's an important distinction that should be used more, ie wheel-first or controller-first. Everything coming out or popular today seems to lean more to wheel-first because everyone is impressed by muh realism and its a marketing point. And when games are wheel first by default, controller is secondary and KBM is ignored. But I doubt anyone making a racing game in the late 90s/early 2000s would neglect the KBM option. Even now I wonder how profitable it is to make a wheel-first racing game considering how small of an audience simracing is. The peripheral setups alone cost more than a good gaming PC.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
But I doubt anyone making a racing game in the late 90s/early 2000s would neglect the KBM option.
Try driving a rear-wheel drive Lancia Stratos in Rally Trophy (2001) on the keyboard and weep.

I'm by no means an expert on this, but keyboard and mouse weren't the ideal control method twenty years ago either, and people often used joysticks or more hardcore setups. KBM, although usually supported, was the option for casuals and in any remotely realistic game clearly inferior to analog controllers. There are lots of people playing flight simulators too, with special controllers and custom-built cockpits in their bedrooms.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Racing games are some of the few that require analogue controls and you can't have that on kbm. Racing wheel and pedals would be ideal for try hards but an xboner controller is ok for most people thanks to it's analogue triggers.
Same applies to sports games in general.
Fighting games on the other hand, are ok on mechanical keyboards.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I remember somewhere in the mists of time, playing a racing game on my ZX Spectrum where you rolled a roll of sellotape over the top row of number keys from 1-0 to 'simulate' a real steering wheel. Seemed like real next-gen stuff at the time. :lol:

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
I never played with a controller until recently (NFS MW2013 on my Logitech F310) so I feel like I'm missing the importance analogue controls. Serious question, what's the difference?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I never played with a controller until recently (NFS MW2013 on my Logitech F310) so I feel like I'm missing the importance analogue controls. Serious question, what's the difference?
Try driving an real car by only using the wheel and the pedals in their extreme positions. It's pedal to the metal or nothing. You couldn't even get moving without breaking something.

While you naturally can make a racing game work on a keyboard, you'll inevitably lose many nuances on the way. Doesn't necessarily matter much in an arcade game like NFS that barely has anything to do with actually driving a car, but true racing sims require a proper setup to get the most out of them.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ye, keyboard is 0 or 100% throttle. You can fake it a bit by tapping gas button rapidly but its not even close to controllers where you press gas by feel and on Xbone controller some games incorporate different rumble feedback depending how hard you're pulling the trigger.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
1451Morpheus Kitami: I can attest to RR being fun and still not stretching the concept of ''racing'' too far (at least in my mind). Same for Flatout 2. But Carmaggedon looks like Postal on wheels more than a racing game.
Yeah, that's exactly what Carmageddon is, a shooter on wheels. You can just play it as a racing game...buuuuuuut you could also play Postal 2 without killing people.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
I have the Logitech F310, it doesn't have force feedback but otherwise its good for this right?

Ebonsword

Arcane
About the only series of racing games I really got into was the Shutoku Battle/Tokyo Xtreme Racing/Import Tuner Challenge games from Genki.

What I loved about them was their unique gameplay. I can't stand games like Gran Turismo where you have to spend fifteen minutes running 10 laps to win a race even if you're blowing everyone away from the first lap.

The Genki games are all street racing games. So, instead of having to run laps, each racer has a life bar, like in a fighting game. The farther you're behind, the faster your life bar goes down, and you lose when you run out of "hit points". So, if you completely outclass your opponent, the race can be over in, like, 30 seconds. But, if you're very evenly matched, races can go on for five minutes or more.

This makes the game very addictive, as the races are over quickly, so you're always tempted to go looking for your next opponent.

Another advantage to them being street racing games is that you have civilian traffic to weave through, which makes things much more interesting than any track-focused racing game.

It's a real shame that this series died out. It was so unique, and seemed popular enough, but no other company seems to have adopted their mechanics.

Potato Canon

Novice
Sim racing in VR is fun. Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, PCars. Assetto is endless fun because of tons of mod tracks.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
It was so unique, and seemed popular enough, but no other company seems to have adopted their mechanics.
:negative:

these games are all I've ever wanted, especially the Drift ones

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom