Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

AngryKobold

Arcane
h-1677.jpg

I plan to give the original a try as soon as ninostyle is done with all main characters.

Tigranes

Arcane
Game A: Grizzled veteran resistance leader, freakishly powerful half-human enigma created by mad scientist, a literal rocket scientist, the last survivor of a powerful ancient race, all follow the lead of a 24-year old superemo sociopath whose one saving grace was his pedigree was an elite soldier but turns out he wasn't an elite soldier at all but an army reject

Game B: Grizzled veteran resistance leader, Princess Leia, Han Solo et al. make plans, negotiate, and lead dangerous missions for the resistance cause, while a couple of teenagers follow along for no discernible reason

I don't even know, really.

Ash

Arcane
That's asking too much of Nomura and Square Enix. They couldn't if they tried.
Somehow they even manage to fuck up remasters and remakes. You already have a good record-selling games right there, yet they still manage to fuck it up and only add dogshit. Too bad equally dim and incompetent consumers reward them for it.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
So what exactly is the codex consensus on the remake now? Is it shit or not?

Probably not very good.

I personally still like it. What it does with the music of the original is amazing. The combat system is the best FF had since X/XII and the best action combat system it ever had (if you don't count ATB as action). Length and enemy variety and bossfights are all ok. I adore that they kept the amount of stupid minigames from the original, even if the minigames are usually a good bit worse. I am very impressed that they managed to nail the characters, especially Cloud whose character has completely shifted in the supplementary material. Many feared FFVII R would have an Advent Children Cloud, but that was an original Cloud. Also their inclusion of other characters from side material was cute. Kyrie can have a bigger role next game imo, fits well.

Level Design is worse. Story is bollocks, Nojima is a hack and they should have fired him years ago. Pacing has a few issues. They fumble Sephiroths introduction.

Overall a lot more good going for it than bad.
It was interesting to see 4chan coming around on this one. /v/ and the new /vrpg/ hated this ones guts on release, and they slowly got drowned out by the supporters or changed their mind.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Spent a few hours with this, enjoying it so far. The wraith hound sidequest was tough, the first fight that took me a few tries to beat it. Same deal with the warehouse combat gauntlet, but man that was a stressful grind; makes me wonder if I have what it takes to go further since I had to use a lot of hi potions to get through it (already reached a point where using regular potions in combat seems like a waste of an action).

The cinematic director when all out on the first-person waifu shots of Tifa, it's ridiculous in a nice way.

The exaggerated way she moves, talks and looks at you is even intentionally parodied by Jessie, who also seems to be into Cloud. (I don't recall this or much of her character at all in the original, but it has been over 20 years and most of it is a blank)

Poor Cloud is a loner though despite having three girls really into him (though I've only met Aeris once).

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Implying that FFVII wasn't the gayest FF ever made even before the remaster. You can get Cloud gangbanged by a horde of muscly gym bros in the original honey bee inn. They tuned to homsexuality DOWN not up.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Spent a few hours with this, enjoying it so far. The wraith hound sidequest was tough, the first fight that took me a few tries to beat it. Same deal with the warehouse combat gauntlet, but man that was a stressful grind; makes me wonder if I have what it takes to go further since I had to use a lot of hi potions to get through it (already reached a point where using regular potions in combat seems like a waste of an action).

Do you want a tip how to make the early game much easier? I am a bit jealous, I like my games hard, but I discovered some broken techniques way too early and went smooth sailing too much.

The exaggerated way she moves, talks and looks at you is even intentionally parodied by Jessie, who also seems to be into Cloud. (I don't recall this or much of her character at all in the original, but it has been over 20 years and most of it is a blank)

This is an allusion to the old FFs, particularily FFVII. Since their graphics were shite and their sprites were small polygon clusters or low pixel, they couldn't rely on facial expressions to convey emotions at all. This lead to the super heavy gesticulation in the old FF games. FFVII Re kept it as a character trait, one of the dozen charming elements of the main game that Square could have easily swept under the rug.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom