Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War - turn-based 4X from Slitherine

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
They need to add Sisters of Battle. And definitely some Eldar probably both normal and Dark.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Just finished hard orcs vs 11 other AIs. Starting position was REALLY bad. At least I fought against hordes of enemy units. And AI can't handle three side attacks properly.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Tried IG vs 11 AI on hard huge map. Turn 220 I still don't have Baneblade, but I defeated Space Marines. The text after theirs defeat was really funny. Also I have only one heavy fighter.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I had just totally brutal campaign as Chaos. SM had more than twice as much economy, and more than twice as much army. IG were also more economically powerful, until I in nearly suicide mission obliterated theirs capital/most developed production stuff.

chuft

Augur
Been playing the heck out of this. Currently a Humble sale so I picked up some more DLCs. Still haven't gotten the Tau, I am new to 40K yet still sense they don't belong there.

I have always played as Space Marines (who only get one city) which means I often have to keep restarting to avoid a starting location where I am pinched between water on either side (cliffs are also annoying) since the city won't have room to grow (it's a radius based growth) and there is no time to really explore, especially with the wildlife in the way. Finally just switched to Very High land mass to avoid these kinds of starting positions. Last game teamed up with an AI Astra Militarum ally on a Huge map against three other teams of Tyranids, Chaos, and Orks (two AIs per team). Loads of fun.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't want to sound dumb, I played only 4 turns. But, isn't it rather easy to deploy city in position where there wouldn't be two oceans from both sides? I started near ocean, then scouted, and deployed city at turn 3. Easy.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I don't want to sound dumb, I played only 4 turns. But, isn't it rather easy to deploy city in position where there wouldn't be two oceans from both sides? I started near ocean, then scouted, and deployed city at turn 3. Easy.

Not stupid, but spending more turns than necessary in the beginning just to establish your base, especially as Space Marines, can be catastrophic on the higher AI levels.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Yea, but higher AI levels are about luck. That SM chapter next to you might decide to attack you more than IG, or tyranids, or you can have Chaos space marines nearby. At too high difficulty levels, you are unlikely to recover from massive 20-45 turn delay in expansion and other stuff. I tried SM for about 50 turns, and I lost 3 space marine units. Because random neutral units cooperated with enemy fairly well.

chuft

Augur
My last game my SM fortress was population 42 and had a diameter of 9 hexes. A lot of map setups with water preclude this. Trying to explore to find a good site with high bonus hexes and not cut off on one or multiple sides by water or map edge is very difficult due to wildlife. Often you can't go very far before wildlife stops or kills your starting units and even just the time spent is very bad like any 4X game.

Would be better if city size limitation was just total hexes but it isn't, it's a radius. You need a big round area for large growth. Other factions don't have this problem.

Have about 300 hours in the game so far. Will try another faction soon but want to use the new SM units from the DLCs first.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yea, but higher AI levels are about luck. That SM chapter next to you might decide to attack you more than IG, or tyranids, or you can have Chaos space marines nearby. At too high difficulty levels, you are unlikely to recover from massive 20-45 turn delay in expansion and other stuff. I tried SM for about 50 turns, and I lost 3 space marine units. Because random neutral units cooperated with enemy fairly well.

Bad things like that can happen, but for the most part you just need to be faster than the AI. Usually when I lose it's been a really close fight, and an extra turn or two would've likely made the difference for me. Winning high level AI is all about rapid expansion. SM are slow enough as it is compared with the other factions, adding a few turns of delay at the start can easily lead to bad things. I've been in that exact situation enough times to know how it can play out.

chuft

Augur
Browsing through this thread I don't see anyone mentioning that the combat is 100% deterministic, no randomness at all. This is the first game I've played like this and am surprised how well it works. Did they steal this from another 4X game? I haven't played Pandora or any recent Civs.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
This game is very immersive and fun, especially with the unit sound mod, but playing as the Zerglings is really boring with the units having to stick close to the Overlord. How are the Taos? Are they fun to play with?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This game is very immersive and fun, especially with the unit sound mod, but playing as the Zerglings is really boring with the units having to stick close to the Overlord. How are the Taos? Are they fun to play with?
Lots of fun and extremely OP. I enjoy playing them but I need to make asymmetric games where the enemies are allied against me otherwise it's unfair for them. They're like the Imperial Guard if their early game was easy as shit since they can convert neutrals into permanent units and their basic troops can summon combat drones that do decent damage, pin enemy units so they can't escape and can be abused to waste the enemy AIs overwatch. Eventually they get the Battlesuits that are just crazy powerful. Having a big army of cool mecha is always neat.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
At Last! Eldars have been missing from turn based 40K games since Rites of War iirc:

Published on November 02, 2020
Slitherine has announced the Warhammer 40,000: Gladius – Craftworld Aeldari DLC

"Ask not the Aeldari a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know.”
— Inquisitor Czevak

Slitherine LTD and Proxy Studios are proud to announce Craftworld Aeldari DLC, the 7th DLC for the award winning Warhammer 40,000 Gladius. After Tyranids, Chaos Space Marines and T’au, it’s time to conquer the forsaken planet of Gladius with the new faction of the Craftworld Aeldari.

The Craftworld Aeldari enter the fray with 19 new units and unique gameplay mechanics. The Craftworld roster of units is extremely versatile: Aeldari units are absolutely lethal from a distance, but you won't lack for deadly close combat options either. Exploit the Webway Gates to achieve incredible mobility on the battlefield, but be wary, for Aeldari lives are rare and precious and any loss will be felt greatly.

The Craftworld Aeldari DLC will be out on November 12th.

upload_2020-11-2_17-3-59.jpeg

upload_2020-11-2_17-3-59.jpeg

chuft

Augur
Definitely getting this, enjoying this game so much. Have everything but Tau, because anime.

lightbane

Arcane
I hope the Eldars are not OP like Dawn of War. This planet is becoming quite over-populated as well.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
I guess it will be a good time to pick up Tau DLC at a discount hopefully. The game has been such a blast, except for the Zergs.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I hope they consider making small DLC (like the fortification packs) to add more neutral content for Gladius Prime after this DLC. I think Gladius could use more non-faction stuff soon to spice things up. I enjoy how hostile and dangerous the world can be and how you're fighting the environment just as much as the AI factions, so I want more of that. Hope I'm not the only one who thinks that.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
the game is 2 1/2 years old ... i fear they ll abandon it soon. would love if i m wrong though .... i really hope there s at least adeptus mechanicus, maybe some smaller DLC and (most importantly) a map & scenario editor before they stop working on it.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The devs did say that they are already working on a new game so it's just a matter of time before they move on. The game got a lot more post-launch support than I had expected.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Does the game still not working with dx11?

The game was originally in OpenGL. They switched to Vulkan after some time and the performance is much better, It was never in D3D11 and will never be. Sadly if your gpu does not have Vulkan drivers, you are fucked, you need to stay at an older version.

In other news, the Eldar DLC was released! The game is so much better now than 2 years ago!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom