Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any other games like Darklands out there?

huntsman1899

Literate
The amount of choice and options and depth. I don't care if it's mainly through text and painted backgrounds. Anything else like this out there? Besides KoDP and Sorcery! which I guess are the closest I've seen.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Like what do you mean? RPGs like it? I think the closest I know of that isn't a bad unfinished alpha is Mount and Blade and Comic Book Hero (from the creator of those wrestling management sims). Both being games that sort of mimic Darklands choice system. Shigatari (2017) functions exclusively on these kinds of choices, but my god, the game is an unoptimized bunch of clicking.
If you mean in general, well, there are a few simulations like Darklands. Covert Action, Pirates! and Sword of the Samurai all have the same choice system as Darklands. They're all fun, but they might not necessarily be what someone hungry for more Darklands wants. I'd say from what little I've played of it Midwinter 2: Flames of Winter applies. Some of Mike Singleton's other work might also apply.

Last edited:

Comte

Pillars of eternity blows but it has some elements from darklands. There is also serpent in the staglanda which was inspired by darklands.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Not as far as I'm aware, Realms of Arkania original trilogy is the closest you'll get in my opinion.

Not nearly as much of a classic RPG, no long party creation process, you choose 2 advisors at the start and recruit the later ones during your trip, simple character sheet, no inventory nor equipment, but Silk shares several similarities with Darklands with its historical setting and focus on world exploration and reacting to various situations via choices.
Nho9gY8.png
WH6XohF.png
GDRDYUt.png
EQ6swlM.png
PaWntHu.png
dyD5B8t.png
T0ZlHXO.png
WRZQnhj.png
fBwRYEt.png
emtpXWo.png
grgkxVC.png
4pOhp7n.png
SUOXprB.png
nRk2tky.png
XAj3veL.png
t7DYiSG.png
IXOopfq.png
5veREeI.png
feR7BuS.png
wAeDBMh.png
VU40wrF.png
oyhFV63.png
do6KvNP.png
g2Agew0.png
UEKDAUs.png
31eVlUG.png
NM2vMyk.png
rsrpGfG.png
dGwtfyt.png
XAKWS55.png
MUPlZ4V.png
aPiBH3c.png
Wn7SLkz.png
u3a1wLx.png
AI9aqZi.png
zTqErQJ.png
dj6UdaS.png
A6zhSZa.png
VCf70O9.png
ED8P6zo.png
SgBfjIV.png
GeclFO4.png
3FZu2Pw.png
VQfXkCO.png
Fx1gtpF.png
iheToe7.png
zq64POF.png
BdmbE8P.png
qj3wj3i.png
dG1vFr0.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom