Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Get well soon, weebo.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sorry, not dead yet but I've been pretty much laid out in bed for the past few days. Starting to feel better today, so I should be back fairly soon.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
hey treave you ok dude?

what can help? donating to your patreon? mailing a pint of corona-proof blood (may contain traces of beta-blockers and ethanol) for transfusion?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Manor on the Moors (III)

“No, this is not what it seems.” You hold your hands up and attempt to explain yourself to the old lady. “I didn’t intend to take her underthings.”

The old lady’s wrinkled eyes narrow into a squint at the chemise that is still in your hand. “Hmph. You’re in the lady’s room again, Wrinkly?”

You look back at her in puzzlement. Again?

“But-“

“No matter how much you are in love with the young mistress, you can’t be stealing her clothes. There is no way the both of you can be together,” chastises the housekeeper. “You are just a poor orphan picked up by Lord McClellan, and that is all you are even if you were allowed an education alongside his daughter. Your place is as her faithful servant, nothing more. Now, if you don’t want another beating, you best drop those unmentionables and come with me. I could do with another hand cleaning up the place. Lord knows your hands would be better served doing good honest work rather than thieving around a girl’s room!”

You drop the chemise, but make no further move, mildly confused as to how the housekeeper knows you. Seeing that you are not doing anything, the old maid boldly walks up to you and whips you across the chest with her feather duster. “Get to work, boy!” Raising her voice, she pulls your ear and drags you out of the room by it.

Before you know it, you have a cloth in hand and have been tasked with wiping down the windows in the hallways. You absentmindedly polish the glass, wondering what is going on. The housekeeper is cleaning the room you were in at the moment, so there is no one watching you.

A. You decide to continue working honestly, cleaning the windows best as you can.

B. You attempt to sneak off and find your way to the great hall that Sophie was in.

C. You try to ditch work and explore more of the rest of the mansion.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sorry for the delay, my condition keeps bouncing up and down. Still rather sick, but let's set the next date to close the votes in around 48 hours.

edit: Also I'm negative for corona.

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh, look at that. Not punching the old lady didn't end in disaster. We have our in.

And Sophie thinks we have a crush on her? Oh my.
:oops:

I want to play to our role, we might pull off a Dark Horse victory here. B.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sophie has a crush on us?!

Holy shit treave :D

B. Hopefully we can get to her and let her know we're actually in her dream world, the chance for infinite future awkwardness and misunderstandings is just too good to pass up :lol:

Baltika9

Arcane
Hopefully we can get to her and let her know we're actually in her dream world, the chance for infinite future awkwardness and misunderstandings is just too good to pass up :lol:
So this, but in reverse?

cd31c63c1afefd24e16e0a26030c4146.jpg

Goodness, I d-don't even know what to say! Is it just me, or is the room a bit humid? Rain, w-where did you put my fan?

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
C. You try to ditch work and explore more of the rest of the mansion.

nice role Sophie has pigeon-holed us in her inland empire, speaks volumes :lol:

let's gain further insight into the nooks and crannies of her subconscious mind without interfering with the main plot which she has to resolve by herself

Orbit

Scholar
C. Let's search for the torture chamber and free Liz. Then get to the hall and make Sophie jealous.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sorry for the delay, my condition keeps bouncing up and down. Still rather sick, but let's set the next date to close the votes in around 48 hours.
Don't worry about it brother. Take our constant angst for the next update as a compliment and a testament to your writing ability, as we're all hooked. Take your time and feel better!

I am unsure whether or not Sophie has a crush on us, but it's clear that Sophie thinks the idea of a mysterious, downtrodden orphan being taken in by an affluent family, only to grow into a tall and dashing young man that eventually wins the heart of the unhappy heiress is a rather romantic one. It's possible that the fantasy is appealing to her, and it'd also reflect on her overall character in a rather flattering way.

Hopefully she does just have the hots for us though, that's the definition of game! Either way, I'll go with C for now, as there is still time to rush into the hall and speak with Sophie. I'd rather gather all the information we can while we have the chance. Note, us sneaking in the window and speaking with the old maid worked in our favor as we were able to get new insight into the dream, who knows who else we'll run into that'll help us. It's clear that all the characters in the mansion know who we are.

Tigranes

Arcane
Get some rest, man.

I think the dream is much more about Sophie living in that small village all her life and wishing she could experience the high life like in the story books. She's always disliked us not because of anything we did, but what we symbolise: ugly uncool Wrinkly that gets laughed at even by others of this crummy little village, and every time someone groups her & you together she feels she's dragged even further from her fantasies. Imagining Wrinkly as a servant with a crush is thus perfect. She may have some repressed fondness for us but it's a stretch to say oh wow she has a crush on us.

C>B

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I did not expect any of that, even though in hindsight I should have.

Hey, we do have a narrative role in this! And it's a lowborn boy with a crush on a beautiful maiden. Allowed an education alongside Lady McClellan out of the goodness of the old Lord's heart, and intended to be her faithful servant. :lol:
fedora.png

If half of that is true, what does that say about the other half? Does Sophie want us to have a crush on her?

But it is good to know. Being a servant boy means we can provide aid to Sophie should we deem it necessary without violating the dream logic, which was one of our concerns (i.e that Sophie should be handling everything herself). It is what she expects from us, and well within our role. And... I suppose we can creatively interpret the definition of help, within reason. After all, Dream!Wrinkly is designed with Sophie's wishes in mind, so whatever he does, it must be in her interests, right?

Being assigned a servant's role is not bad. Nobody will be paying us any mind, what with the important guests around. We have free reign of the place... so long as we avoid the old maid.

B. You attempt to sneak off and find your way to the great hall that Sophie was in.

Let's see what is going on with the star of the show. That's where the action will be taking place, I assume.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So with the 48 hour mark approaching, let's do a head count.

ERYFKRAD C
oscar A > C
Baltika9 B
Kalarion B
Kz3r0 B
ChumBucket B
CappenVarra C
Orbit C
ItsChon C
Tigranes C>B
Nevill B
Grimgravy A>C
Life of the Party A
hello friend C
A - 3 (1)
B - 5
C - 6 (8)

Hmm. Don't feel too strongly to shill for B, especially since we chose the upper floors to check the house.
If I have to voice my concerns, it's about spending too much time examining the nooks and crannies of the dream while missing what's central to it.
Given the size of the arcs we've seen, whatever we find better be important because I'd give the dream to last about 3-4 updates more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom