Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game of the new "batch" of tacticools is the best?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

Nah but seriously. Fell Seal and I'm now playing a Gloomhaven campaign on Tabletop Simulator because the digital version is taking forever to leave early access.

Last edited:
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played a bit of "I am not a monster". Really like it so far. Not as complex as Troubleshooter, or even Gears Tactics, but is really charming. No dark and grim aesthetic here, instead you get lovely US 50s style graphics with pin-up like women. I really wish more games took themselves less seriously like this one.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are any of the dlcs for Mordheim good/required or is the base game everything you need ?
Actually, there is very little chance you will play more than 2 campaigns.
I burnt out halfway of the first one (with Chaos).
So, if one of the DLC factions has way more appeal to you than the base ones (Vampires or Witch hunters seem cool actually), getting it is reasonable, but otherwise, there is little reason to get it at all until you at least finish your first campaign.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Troubleshooter seems to be heavily geared towards online experience, how often there's server downtime or other disturbing stuff because of that?

I'm probably going to take The Feud for a spin when it gets released.

Lemming42

Arcane
Am I even more of a retard than I thought, or is Chimera Squad's breach mechanic completely insane? I can't see how it passed the idea stage - you can't see who's in the room before you enter so it's literally just random chance whether you get fucked or not, and the area behind you becomes suddenly magically inaccessible after the breach, usually confining the whole team to a small balcony or behind a single wall where they instantly get clusterfucked by any enemy with an area of effect attack.

Plus there's no way to know the optimal order to send your team in - for example I take Godmother on every mission but half the time she ends up facing an enemy at the other side of the room where her shotgun does jack shit, while any dickhead with a long-range assault rifle inevitably breaches directly in front of an enemy.

It's also stupid that you're essentially forced to fire or just run for cover. No using psionic abilities which would obviously be best applied immediately as the encounter starts, such as Battle Rage. All the breach-exclusive abilities suck balls. Levitation and Poison Spit, wow, great.

PrettyDeadman

Troubleshooter seems to be heavily geared towards online experience, how often there's server downtime or other disturbing stuff because of that?

There doesnt seem to be a lot of online functionality other than information about % of people chosing the answer during dialogues and jurisdiction bonuses? I am pretty sure there were server problems several times, but I didnt really notice them. Online interactions seems to be kinda superficial.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Troubleshooter servers have planned maintenance one per week.
Other than this downtime the online part does not affect the gameplay in the slightest. It's single player through and through, absolutely no need to socialize.

There are only 4 multiplayer features that I've seen:
- Already mentioned "players choices" ratio.
- District security status is calculated based on actions of all the troubleshooter companies, not just yours.
- Mail system. It's mainly used for receiving extra rewards (like occasional compliments from saved civilians).
But as you can also compose mails, I guess it could be used to send items to other troubleshooters.
- There's a quest/trade hub "Shooter Street" where you can see other players moving around.
And this area has a chat system. But in all my playtime I've seen someone using this chat once, and that is the only reason I even know of it's existence.

PrettyDeadman

Troubleshooter servers have planned maintenance one per week.
Other than this downtime the online part does not affect the gameplay in the slightest. It's single player through and through, absolutely no need to socialize.

There are only 4 multiplayer features that I've seen:
- Already mentioned "players choices" ratio.
- District security status is calculated based on actions of all the troubleshooter companies, not just yours.
- Mail system. It's mainly used for receiving extra rewards (like occasional compliments from saved civilians).
But as you can also compose mails, I guess it could be used to send items to other troubleshooters.
- There's a quest/trade hub "Shooter Street" where you can see other players moving around.
And this area has a chat system. But in all my playtime I've seen someone using this chat once, and that is the only reason I even know of it's existence.
Oh, maintenance means that you cannot play your online save, right?
Offline save seems like a better option if so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Suddenly we got a few of them together. Namely

- XCOM Chimera
- Gears Tactics
- Fort Triumph
- Troubleshooter

I'm in the mood to play one of them but can't decide which one. What is Codex thinking? Which one is the best? Does one of them offer a more significant gaming experience that the others?
(No poll, I'd prefer a discussion)
None of those mentioned. They're all general audience trash - simple mechanics lifted from some older title with newer visuals. Especially the first two are just taking credit for respective brand names at this point.

Fell Seal is good. Nothing revolutionary though. The story is generic in "typical anime" kind of way, I enjoyed it somewhat, has a SNES vibe to it. The entire game does.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

Suddenly we got a few of them together. Namely

- XCOM Chimera
- Gears Tactics
- Fort Triumph
- Troubleshooter

I'm in the mood to play one of them but can't decide which one. What is Codex thinking? Which one is the best? Does one of them offer a more significant gaming experience that the others?
(No poll, I'd prefer a discussion)
None of those mentioned. They're all general audience trash - simple mechanics lifted from some older title with newer visuals. Especially the first two are just taking credit for respective brand names at this point.

Fell Seal is good. Nothing revolutionary though. The story is generic in "typical anime" kind of way, I enjoyed it somewhat, has a SNES vibe to it. The entire game does.
You didn't play Troubleshooter...

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I tried Troubleshooters and I really did NOT like it. I mean, I like the context, the story, the art to an extent... but I like my tactical games to be less about understanding a system and more about tactics and clarity. I can recognize competent design nonetheless.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
i really enjoy troubleshooter. the game 12 hours in thus far seems epicly huge, as in u feel ur small state in the world early and realize there are much greater things than u to deal with. a great thing it does is give u early and plentiful access to higher level heroes, who show u quickly that your little level 12 dude is really nothing in the big picture. it makes progression feel just awesome, and it's a slow progression, because u are not going to be at the level of those heroes for a long time. it's also difficult on Hard, but doable if u play smart and use good tactics. i'm thrilled by it, check it out if you're into tactical RPGs with tons of depth and "stuff" in them. u can also peek at my youtube videos where i'm doing a let's play for it, just search gamegodfluent. peace and love. <3

To the OP: All your choices are belong to us shit. The only correct answer is Battle Brothers.

Note: Do buy a wig first. You will be ripping some serious hair out.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I second (third?) I am not a monster. Really cool, but really on the more puzzly side of things

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom