Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rising video game prices in Poland

m_s0

Arcane
At least Dying Light 2 has this mechanic or was it cut out too?
I don't know, never was very interested in zombie shooters.

I don't think he meant a good kebab stand, man.
For a good restaurant - I'd say 200 PLN will last you for no more than 5-6 meals at most.
I suppose it depends on your definition of good. Even 3 might be a bit much for a relatively modest meal at a fancier (and good) restaurant. In a larger city 200 gets you something closer to 6 meals at a diner these days, probably not a restaurant.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I suppose it depends on your definition of good
Yeah, I wasn't happy with that definition either. I'd say a good restaurant is a place you go to once or twice a month, first because it's relatively expensive, second because you don't want to get too used to it or it won't feel as fancy.

Readher

Savant
Fat Poles discussing how often they go to various fancy restaurants and I don't even remember how long ago I was somewhere else than McDonalds or Shawarma joint.

McDonald's is more expensive than restaurants here (assuming you're a man and want to actually satisfy your hunger). Kebab is crazy popular though, costs like 15 PLN.

Codex Year of the Donut

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Stupid question: why is it called PLN?
Google failed me there.

As far as I remember I payed for my Wodka with fossilized potato slices called Zloty.
Does it mean something like "Niu (Zloty)" or did the guy who made the currency code not know the name and just went "PoLish... Note" and called it a day?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
But why Poland? Almost everyone else has the first letter of the currency as last letter. And for Brazil's BRL you could at least go "Brazil ReaL"
:outrage:

norolim

Arcane
Google failed me there.

As far as I remember I payed for my Wodka with fossilized potato slices called Zloty.
Does it mean something like "Niu (Zloty)" or did the guy who made the currency code not know the name and just went "PoLish... Note" and called it a day?
It's exactly New Polish Zloty. Until 1995 the symbol was PLZ — Polish Zloty. After it got redenominated, the name was changed to New Polish Zloty and the symbol to PLN.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Google failed me there.

It's exactly New Polish Zloty. Until 1995 the symbol was PLZ — Polish Zloty. After it got redenominated, the name was changed to New Polish Zloty and the symbol to PLN.
good move, PLN sounds better than plz

Naraya

Arcane
Google failed me there.

This is the correct answer right here. I'd just add that almost noone says "Give me 100 New Polish Zlotys" - in common, everyday language use you very rarely hear it, people just say "Give me 100 Zlotys" instead. It's shorter and just rolls off the tongue better.

edit: I guess it's the same as noone says "Give me 100 American Dollah" but just "Give me 100 Dollah".

Parabalus

Arcane
There's a good reason for why prices for games have increased in Poland, it's because of the EU Digital Single Market. https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/5/1...ission-valve-antitrust-objections-games-price

Basically it's just another piece of the eurocrats' plan to try and unite europe in the shackles of potato wages.
mean corporations offering cheaper games to poor people, they need to offer a single price to everyone!

They can offer different prices in different countries, but they can't also block you from exploiting that via VPN or physically moving across borders.

They tried tying the price to the country of origin of the bank card you're using, which is why they got smacked.

Codex Year of the Donut
There's a good reason for why prices for games have increased in Poland, it's because of the EU Digital Single Market. https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/5/1...ission-valve-antitrust-objections-games-price

Basically it's just another piece of the eurocrats' plan to try and unite europe in the shackles of potato wages.
mean corporations offering cheaper games to poor people, they need to offer a single price to everyone!

They can offer different prices in different countries, but they can't also block you from exploiting that via VPN or physically moving across borders.

They tried tying the price to the country of origin of the bank card you're using, which is why they got smacked.
damn greedy fascist pig corporations wanting to offer cheap products to people in poor countries without it being exploited by people in countries with better economic prospects

Gerrard

Arcane
It's not inflation. Publishers just decided people in Poland are now as rich as Zee Germans. Prices of games have increased significantly, since 2015. Witcher 3 could be preordered for 139,99 PLN. Cyberpunk is 199.00 on GOG, right now, and it's still cheaper than most foreign AAA games at release (250 PLN).
199 PLN is still 45 EUR. Poorer countries than Poland have the game priced at 60 EUR.
200PLN is also over 10% of the minimum wage.

Quit bitching. You are getting it cheaper than the standard price.

If getting games cheaper by 25% comes with earning 1/3 of what Germans on average do, then I'll take full-priced games and their salaries, thanks.
Since when is 55€ 25% cheaper than 60€? Because the normal price for a new AAA game is 250PLN.

That's my point, CDPR could be selling it cheaper, but instead they set it to 200 so they can still go and say "Look, we're selling it 20% cheaper than other AAA games, aren't we great?" in their usual, conceited fashion.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I don't know what shit costs in potato land but games in the US have been $60 forever, despite inflation and rising development costs. I think their price isn't the real issue, the real issue is the middle-class is on life support and the compensation for that is cheaper imported good, but games cost the same as they always did, so they seem more expensive. Same with movies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom