Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Sims 4 and Skyrim are the same game

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
- virtually identical skill system
- open world
- theme park slant - in skyrim you're picking up guilds, in sims it's aspirations, you can mix them as you like and everything is accessable from the start
- some ephasis on collectibles - in skyrim it's artifacts scattered in the world, in sims it's career rewards, in both cases these have little effect on the gameplay and exist just to give you something to do
- dollhouse aspect - in skyrim it's emphasized by house dlc and mod support, which I consider to be a core element of TES games design
- mod support!

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
d8VLQwO.jpg

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Skyrim is the worst turd I have played in my entire life (I played it for around 20 minutes). Chargen was so buggy and unresponsive because it was designed for a joypad that I spent 15 minutes on it and 5 minutes on actual playing. I noticed the game wasn't that pretty either. After we were attacked by the dragon, I ended up in these caves with a sword. There I am attacked by a Shelob-looking giant spider, whom I dispatched with 2 strikes of a weapon. Uh okay. I go outside then and notice the shadows everywhere are flickering which was annoying as hell. I wander for a while and am attacked by soldiers (?), I kill two of them with 1 stroke whatttt?? The end.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sims 4 doesn't have an open world, but you are generally right, yeah.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Skyrim is the worst turd I have played in my entire life (I played it for around 20 minutes). Chargen was so buggy and unresponsive because it was designed for a joypad that I spent 15 minutes on it and 5 minutes on actual playing. I noticed the game wasn't that pretty either. After we were attacked by the dragon, I ended up in these caves with a sword. There I am attacked by a Shelob-looking giant spider, whom I dispatched with 2 strikes of a weapon. Uh okay. I go outside then and notice the shadows everywhere are flickering which was annoying as hell. I wander for a while and am attacked by soldiers (?), I kill two of them with 1 stroke whatttt?? The end.
This just sounds like you have a shitty computer.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Skyrim couldnt even run on 2 cores, the first ones who fixed it were the modders (eventually). Some things like Z-flicker still can't be fixed.

I'm still a little surprised Elder Scrolls just hasn't taken skill leveling from The Sims. Like how you can just go to a workout bench or something in The Sims to raise whatever skill that affects. Given the way leveling works, having that kind of system seems like something that should have at least shown up by Oblivion. (Makes even less sense Skyrim didn't do it) Like, just having the ability to do something like telling your character to stand in place and practice swinging their sword around; and during that time you can fuck around with the game's speed so you don't have to sit there and watch that shit in real-time.

The speechcraft wheel in Oblivion did feel like a really bad simple take on how speech works in The Sims...which I've always kind of thought would be an interesting way to do speech in a RPG since the abstract nature of it means you can infuse it with all kinds of stat related things, and could have different languages for the character to learn. The house stuff is also better in The Sims too. Given how much they play up that house stuff, and given The Sims came out at the beginning of 2000 (which I think would have been around when Morrowind started development) I'm a little surprised it wasn't until Fallout 4 (15 years later) that they actually let you build the house yourself.

The Sims is a far better thought out series that Elder Scrolls could probably learn something from. The whole time management aspect of The Sims could very easily be overlaid onto Elder Scrolls and give it a focus the games never really had. I mean The Sims has a pretty great gameplay loop, you take that same gameplay loop and replace the "sending your Sim off to work to make money" part in The Sims with you going to some dungeon or fighting in the arena? That'd put the series focus on the stuff people actually seem to like most about the Elder Scrolls, (and just Bethesda Game Studios stuff in general) which is the side quest part of the games as opposed to the main story.

DraQ

Arcane
(Makes even less sense Skyrim didn't do it) Like, just having the ability to do something like telling your character to stand in place and practice swinging their sword around; and during that time you can fuck around with the game's speed so you don't have to sit there and watch that shit in real-time.
You can pay the trainers. You can also attack training dummies to level relevant skills.

The speechcraft wheel in Oblivion did feel like a really bad simple take on how speech works in The Sims...which I've always kind of thought would be an interesting way to do speech in a RPG since the abstract nature of it means you can infuse it with all kinds of stat related things, and could have different languages for the character to learn.
The speechcraft wheel in Oblivion was the kind of idea that makes you want to see the author of it brutally murdered with a claw hammer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom