Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

These kids today and their top-ten lists...

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
No Underrail
List is shit
Author is faggot

Why should I do your fucking job for you?
I'm making you my second in command shitposter. In times of my absence you, Ol' Willy, will carry my retarded torch of shitposting on these forums and bring frustration and butthurt to the masses.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Me reading through the list... Banner Saga, meh... Wizardry 8, nice... Wasteland 2, okay for a youngin'... Dragonfall, meh... Pillars, wait what?!... X-COM 2, oh no... then finally at #1.... KotOR... turn-based???!!!!... :what:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I don't think that list is that bad, honestly. Yes it is bias toward post-2000 but seeing Wizardry is neat. As much as I love Fallout its combat is not the highlight, so I'm not even that butthurt about it not being there.
Wizardry 8 is there because the person making the list had heard of it and wanted to look more prestigious.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Just watch the list of this guy "articles": https://www.thegamer.com/author/m_llewellyn/

Last of Us, more Last of Us, weeaboo lists, more weaaboo lists, even more weeaboo lists... I gonna ask my cat to make Top-10 RPGs list, I reckon he will be more up to task than this guy.

And I know what game he will put as #1.

ct1.png
ct2.png
ct3.png

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have read a lot worse on lists, Shadowrun, Fell Seal and Wizardry is pretty incline.
Fell Seal is however a JRPG, he should be crucified for including South Park and XCOM, Banner Saga and DOS are overhyped and Deadfire is fine, but not top 10 worthy.
Also half the games arent turn based but RTWP?

As for Ol' Willy s snide, his weeaboo taste is a lot better than his grognard taste. https://www.thegamer.com/jrgp-turn-based-best-all-time-ranked/
The Legend of Heroes is overrated, FF VII and Persona 5 are not the best games in their respective series, but apart from that thats some monocled taste. Similar to what one might read on the JRPG subforum here.

Dyspaire

Cipher
Top 10s of all time are always Top 10s of "Games I played".

The truth is...nobody can play every RPG ever made to choose the top 10 best ones, so in the end only popular games appear in a "top best RPGs" lists(baldur's gate, fallout and ect...).

This is valid for every "top best" lists.

How many of you have played and beat more than 30 RPGs ?

I'd probably completed 30 crpgs by 1990.

Lots of people here have been doing this for a long, long time.

Cheers.

EldarEldrad

Savant
What do you want from game journalist? To be objective? Have a wide knowledge in games? No, modern game journalist is merely a parasite, a dirty lier that writes anything he was asked by developer, publisher, editor or literally any other guy with a cash. Always ignore this type of people and their opinions. If your son wants to become a game journalist, take him to the orphanage asap.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Top 10s of all time are always Top 10s of "Games I played".

The truth is...nobody can play every RPG ever made to choose the top 10 best ones, so in the end only popular games appear in a "top best RPGs" lists(baldur's gate, fallout and ect...).

This is valid for every "top best" lists.

How many of you have played and beat more than 30 RPGs ?
Ah, now beating is the question. Most people aren't going to remember what they've beat and what they haven't. Unless you're someone like the CRPGAddict or Octavius you aren't going to remember how many you've beat. But...I'm pretty sure most people around here have touched way more than 30 RPGs. I'd be surprised if there were more than a few who didn't break triple digits.
Of course that said, someone making a top ten list should have beat more than 30, they're claiming these are the best. Something I'm not seeing some random person here doing. The Welshman's list is fine for someone who never played many cRPGs growing up. Its very light on actual content though, which is more of a problem than most of his choices.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Will codex ever agree that people have different tastes? You don't storm Mensa meeting and start talking how easy checkers game is. You will be looked upon as a retard. Different groups of people have different tastes, the best way is just to find a group that like same stuff you do, instead of complaining on an open registration forum.

As for the list its pretty standard mainstream games for the millenials generation, people up to age of 30, considering wizardry 8 is on the list. Without it, you could say its a list for people aged 20. Its of course nothing for the monocled grognards of codex that were born before 80s, and remember all the commodore games.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I'm pretty sure most people around here have touched way more than 30 RPGs. I'd be surprised if there were more than a few who didn't break triple digits.

Of course that said, someone making a top ten list should have beat more than 30, they're claiming these are the best. Something I'm not seeing some random person here doing. The Welshman's list is fine for someone who never played many cRPGs growing up. Its very light on actual content though, which is more of a problem than most of his choices.

The thing is, if you tried to pull your own Top X list here, you'd mostly harvest retarded ratings.
Even between our most prestigious cRPG players, there is a lot of different tastes.

So, it's click-bait and of course, it's meant to lure in teenagers/children with little knowledge on the genre.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Will codex ever agree that people have different tastes? You don't storm Mensa meeting and start talking how easy checkers game is. You will be looked upon as a retard. Different groups of people have different tastes, the best way is just to find a group that like same stuff you do, instead of complaining on an open registration forum.

As for the list its pretty standard mainstream games for the millenials generation, people up to age of 30, considering wizardry 8 is on the list. Without it, you could say its a list for people aged 20. Its of course nothing for the monocled grognards of codex that were born before 80s, and remember all the commodore games.

The problem with these "BEST GAEMZ EVER!!!" lists is that "ever" is very narrow (usually the past 10, 15 years) and the games put in those lists change every time another is made, which shows that they can't be the best ever else they'd have more staying power in those lists. The games in those lists are usually also just whatever the author liked, rather than being picked considering their influence on the industry as a whole and historical legacy. Any "BEST RPGS EVER" list that doesn't include Ultima Underworld, for example, is utter bullshit because UU directly inspired The Elder Scrolls and even fucking Doom so its significance is through the roof, but none of these "journalists" bother putting 2 minutes of research into their job to dig up games of actual relevance, instead they just pick whatever comes to their mind first.

NotSerious

Novice
Patron
RPG Wokedex
The rest, whatever, normie affair.

Deadfire is heresy on a top 10 list of RPGs though even for heathens. 2nd worst thing I have read today.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
No Darklands, immediate disregard.

I didn't play much of Darklands so i don't know about its qualities but i know Darklands combat is garbage.
I'm not a big fan of the city text exploration thing either.

The problem with these "BEST GAEMZ EVER!!!" lists is that "ever" is very narrow (usually the past 10, 15 years) and the games put in those lists change every time another is made, which shows that they can't be the best ever else they'd have more staying power in those lists. The games in those lists are usually also just whatever the author liked, rather than being picked considering their influence on the industry as a whole and historical legacy. Any "BEST RPGS EVER" list that doesn't include Ultima Underworld, for example, is utter bullshit because UU directly inspired The Elder Scrolls and even fucking Doom so its significance is through the roof, but none of these "journalists" bother putting 2 minutes of research into their job to dig up games of actual relevance, instead they just pick whatever comes to their mind first.

Even if i agree with your point, most influential and best game isn't the same thing, sometimes they are, sometimes they're not.
It also has to do with their success (individual or the whole series success).
For example, Diablo was very influential and it's a piece of crap.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I didn't play much of Darklands so i don't know about its qualities but i know Darklands combat is garbage.
I'm not a big fan of the city text exploration thing either.

I'm suppressing everything inside me from wanting to accuse you of sexual assault as revenge for speaking such heresy.

Cat Dude

Savant

Because most guys here are over 35 years old dads or virgins spending more time talking about video games than caring about real issues. No wonder they are such a bunch of pussies against self entitled kneegrows.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom