Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

UnReal World

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Who's playing UnReal World right now? How do I git gud?

For those not in the know, this game has been around for well over 20 years. I played it decades ago, and I revisit now and again because it receives endless updates. It was shareware years back, but I spotted it on Steam and threw the Dev a bone. It's actually on sale now (although you can also just get it for free):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/351700/UnReal_World/

http://www.unrealworld.fi/

I'm currently playing as a fisherman. I have a shelter set up, and I have a few ice fishing holes with nets. Assuming no angry bears or murderous bandits show up, my character could probably just build a cabin and hang out here forever.

What's the next steps, now that I have infinite fish, fire, and shelter?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is a great game, but I feel that once you actually managed to get a character running for more than a year, you are kind of done with it.
There really isn't much more to achieve than being able to sustain yourself through winter.

Maybe a second character to go full nomad instead of building a hut.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think there was a topic on the Codex about it already... anyway, game is neat but the problem is that you essentially have no endgame content and once you survive your first winter that's pretty much it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just to be clear, though, I think it took me 30+ hours to really get a character to survive well, so the game is more than worth the price.
It's just not one of those games that can be played for thousands of hours, really.

oscar

Arcane
I liked the game but found the UI unnecessarily complicated. Still an awesome concept that was pretty well-executed.

Would love to see more of this low to the ground, realistic Iron Age-style stuff where being a powerful character means owning a metal sword and a woven rug.

oscar

Arcane
Well after buying and playing the full version this has grown on me a lot. Yes the UI is cumbersome and takes a few days to get used to but it has a lot of strengths

- Low-to-no fantasy system. The rituals are pretty easy to dismiss as mere placebo and forums are full of debate over whether spiritual favour actually means anything (some swear that they cannot catch a single fish or connect an arrow to an elk when the spirits are annoyed, others argue it doesn't mean a damn thing beyond roleplaying). Setting is vaguely Iron Age Finland with a few somewhat more advanced foreign traders and slavers around. The northern Sami-esque cultures are even more backwards than the southerners.
- Sophisticated nutritional system. No you cannot live off of berries and nettle soup for eight months straight or your character will wither into a feeble twig. Foods have carbs, fats and protein ratings. A lot of vegetable/herbal food fills your stomach and stops your character complaining but does not actually improve your nutrition (for which you need actual heavy energy dense food of bread, meat, turnips etc). Sooner or later you will need some smoked salmon or a nice cut of roast elk in your system to restore your protein levels. System is even more elegant because physically intensive work makes you require more calories. As historically northern people practised, spending all day sleeping, fucking and engaging in light crafts is a perfectly valid way to spend winter. Make sure your cellar is fully stopped
- Animals behave realistically. Almost all animals recognise you as the superior predator and will almost always flee when they notice you. You will need to either trap them, become a skilled archer or master stealth skill to javelin ambush them. Trapping is ultimately a far more reliable food source (and even then requires a bit of logic in how you deploy them)
- Processes tend to be complicated. Turning a dead animal into leather is long-term process requiring a lot of clicks and time. Likewise chopping down a tree doesn't give you some magic wood resource. You must refine it into logs, boards, firewood etc. You will need the right tools and some aptitude to make anything of decent quality. Your mileage may very but as someone with a growing interest in survivalism I appreciated the game showing just how difficult, arduous and time-consuming a lot of these refining processes are.

oscar

Arcane
The animal AI is insane. Was involved in a long ass duel with a lynx that stalked around my cabin. I'd throw a javelin at it and it'd flee in terror for the rest of the day but come back at night to try stalk me. One time when I was heavily exhausted from tree-cutting it charged me (generally the lynx flees when it sees me, was it aware I was weak from exhaustion?) and then retreated after I threw a few spears at it. Still prowls around and I've set several traps to try kill it. Feels damn awesome and plausible without a single fantastical element just what our far distant ancestors spent their life dealing with.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been playing URW on and off since about 2001. It did the survival game right before all the meme games.

It's an interesting game to leave alone and come back to every couple of years to see what madness Sami Maaranen has been up to with his latest updates.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The animal AI is insane. Was involved in a long ass duel with a lynx that stalked around my cabin. I'd throw a javelin at it and it'd flee in terror for the rest of the day but come back at night to try stalk me. One time when I was heavily exhausted from tree-cutting it charged me (generally the lynx flees when it sees me, was it aware I was weak from exhaustion?) and then retreated after I threw a few spears at it. Still prowls around and I've set several traps to try kill it. Feels damn awesome and plausible without a single fantastical element just what our far distant ancestors spent their life dealing with.

Herakles wrestled an invulnerable lion with his bare hands. Meanwhile, you cannot defeat a lynx despite having javelins, spears, and traps. You are GAY.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Herakles wrestled an invulnerable lion with his bare hands. Meanwhile, you cannot defeat a lynx despite having javelins, spears, and traps. You are GAY.

Back in version 2.6/2.7 (waaaaay back in the day), Lynx used to be far the most dangerous animals in the game. They could shred a fully armoured PC before you could even get a hit in, and they were super aggressive to boot.

Fortunately they've been nerfed a lot since then. Merely dangerous if unprepared rather than being rabid demons.

oscar

Arcane

Straight in the smoker, sorry buddy.

Lynx_lynx2.jpg

270099722_138480521938760_1386827587393098138_n.jpg

271172927_138480551938757_1538315811815500040_n.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom