Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mantis can't wear armor, that's a big minus, also they have low int so that's a problem for rogues, I prefer kobold rogue for the ability to wear armor and the extra spell power, you only lose 1 extra attack.
yes i forgot the spellcasting part of the rogue in kotc 2 so kobold probably better for that however a mantis wield 4 weapons those are upgradable there's even a pic with +3 shortsword, the kobold bite will never upgrade. Mantis int is still 6-14 not a huge disadvantage, rogue doesnt get many spells anyway . Going for Mantis gladiator ,mantis rogue , mantis monk , Stygian wizard, elf bishop and elf psi healer. I need to max cha on bishop for the turns and domain summon. On psi healer i guess pretty any race with balanced stat works.
Remember that all the mantises are girls, so add your own sexy custom tokens.

random_mantis_girl__adopt__closed__by_pustyxox_dbketg4-fullview.jpg

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Mantis can't wear armor, that's a big minus, also they have low int so that's a problem for rogues, I prefer kobold rogue for the ability to wear armor and the extra spell power, you only lose 1 extra attack.
yes i forgot the spellcasting part of the rogue in kotc 2 so kobold probably better for that however a mantis wield 4 weapons those are upgradable there's even a pic with +3 shortsword, the kobold bite will never upgrade. Mantis int is still 6-14 not a huge disadvantage, rogue doesnt get many spells anyway . Going for Mantis gladiator ,mantis rogue , mantis monk , Stygian wizard, elf bishop and elf psi healer. I need to max cha on bishop for the turns and domain summon. On psi healer i guess pretty any race with balanced stat works.

It's a solid party. you'll miss out on a varied racial skills by having 3 races instead of 6 but I don't know how much of an importance that is. I tend to not pick the same class or race twice if I can help it even if it's not the optimal way to go.

Who is going to wear all the fancy armors you'll find in the game?

Noddy

Augur
I was looking at the Storm Warrior, but I wonder how easy it will be to get/craft shock weapons, since crafting is more limited in KotC2 compared to the first one, since it requires fancy diamonds.

Yeah maybe. Shock and shocking burst are level one & two enchantments so i'm assuming they'll be enough low level diamonds floating around. Who knows though?
Another reason i like the samurai tbh. Don't have to waste a star diamond for +5, just build a +1 stack 9 points worth of weapons upgrades and still wield it as a +8 eventually.
Might be underselling the mage knight due to lack of info on items too. I was assuming i'd just end up wearing belts of strength but from the KS there's all kinds of wierd of effects going on. That feat to swift cast enhance ability might actually be really good.

Mortmal

Arcane

It's a solid party. you'll miss out on a varied racial skills by having 3 races instead of 6 but I don't know how much of an importance that is. I tend to not pick the same class or race twice if I can help it even if it's not the optimal way to go.

Who is going to wear all the fancy armors you'll find in the game?
Well yes i could replace psi healer elf to halfling to get one more racial feat, but is it worth losing sleep immunity, not so sure. As for armor, no idea how available it will be , if best items are crafted , might as well invest into thri-keen mantis weapons. I dont know if heavy armors have dex penalty either, so it might end up that dex bonus + 4 natural armor with stone mantis is better than any armor found for a long time.Also with 4 attacks on each melee char, nothing will live long enough.

Noddy

Augur
Think the one thing to be careful with on classes with no or low bonus feats is that running a non-human is almost like straight up taking penalties.
Take the mantis rouge. First bonus feat is at lvl 12. So at lvl 11 you have ammassed a grand total of 4 feats at lvls 1 3 6 & 9. Half way through the game and you've got four.
Then you look at all the feats that are super fucking good for a rouge:
6 two weapon fighting feats. 2 for a free feint action. 2 straight up attack bonuses. 2 straight up ac dodge bonuses. 2 finesse feats. Improved crit. Improved natural armour. Fast spells.
There's a shit load.

Still think mantis rouges will be really good. They're just not quite as broken as they look on paper. Same for Death Knights tbh.

Mortmal

Arcane
I dont know if heavy armors have dex penalty either

They have a max dex bonus, but also give a penalty to reflex saves. In my experience with 3.xe D&D, reflex is the least important of the saves, though. Full plate with a tower shield is -8 to reflex saves.

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/FWE/Pages/FWE_Armour.htm
ok so to match my natural +4 AC i have from the very begining the rogue requires a +2 brigandine, likely found at higher levels then at higher level it will be less good . However Gladiator get +4 ac natural then +4 to+9 at level 20 unarmored , while still keeping the dex bonus ! So fuck heavy armor.It's as if you are wearing the best armor all the time, mantis clearly superior for that class.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
ok so to match my natural +4 AC i have from the very begining the rogue requires a +2 brigandine, likely found at higher levels then at higher level it will be less good . However Gladiator get +4 ac natural then +4 to+9 at level 20 unarmored , while still keeping the dex bonus ! So fuck heavy armor.It's as if you are wearing the best armor all the time, mantis clearly superior for that class.
Also, if you really want to, there's the Improved Natural Armor feat that adds +1 natural armor bonus. The real downside to not wearing armor is missing out on the enchantment slots, like energy resistance or these guys:

• Greater Bravery, price 5: Only for armour. All allies in a 10' radius (including the wearer) gain a bonus of +2 to attack rolls.
  • Death Ward, price 4: For shields and armour. The user gains immunity to death effects.
I know you can probably put some of these in rings or whatever, but you only get so many equipment slots.

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/FWE/Pages/FWE_WeaponEnchantments.htm

Mortmal

Arcane
Think the one thing to be careful with on classes with no or low bonus feats is that running a non-human is almost like straight up taking penalties.
Take the mantis rouge. First bonus feat is at lvl 12. So at lvl 11 you have ammassed a grand total of 4 feats at lvls 1 3 6 & 9. Half way through the game and you've got four.
Then you look at all the feats that are super fucking good for a rouge:
6 two weapon fighting feats. 2 for a free feint action. 2 straight up attack bonuses. 2 straight up ac dodge bonuses. 2 finesse feats. Improved crit. Improved natural armour. Fast spells.
There's a shit load.

Still think mantis rouges will be really good. They're just not quite as broken as they look on paper. Same for Death Knights tbh.
you got a point there , non human getting penalties for rogue indeed. Also might have better stats for the skill check, streetwise and such if its used in the game.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Armor is not just Armor class, there are 51 Armour and Shield enchantments, you can get immunity to critical hits, party buffs, armor that helps againt touch/incorporeal attacks, extra hp, resistances to energy damage, speed buffs, retaliation and more.
Besides that if you just care about AC you can't ignore the fact that an armored fighter can get +natural armor as well ( that stacks with normal armor ) from spells or items.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Where can I read more about these juicy classes/races, is there a wiki of some kind?

Can't believe we are getting sprites btw, Idk if my inclinometer can take it

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Where can I read more about these juicy classes/races, is there a wiki of some kind?
Most of the info is here. There were some feats mentioned in a Kickstarter update, but I don't think those will be in the game soon. I recommend reading even classes you think you know, like the rogue, wizard, and fighter because they're different in KotC2.

http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/FWE/Pages/FWE_Title.htm

Latro

Arcane
BlueSalamander

I know we will be able to create our own monsters, but will we be able to use monsters made by others? Say, someone creates a custom module, I'm assuming we'll download their stuff and be able to use it? When sprites become available, will transitioning custom monsters from tokens to sprite be as simple as just assigning the appropriate sprite?

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Can't believe we are getting sprites btw, Idk if my inclinometer can take it

For now you'll have player sprites only, later monster sprites will be implemented, modders can make monster sprites from day 1. You could for example mod KOTC1 monster sprites into your game if you want.

I recommend reading even classes you think you know, like the rogue, wizard, and fighter because they're different in KotC2.

Yeah assume you know nothing, every class is different from 3.5. The spells / feats / psionic powers are different too.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
So, if I backed the Codex fundraiser, I will eventually get an email, too? I'd like to play an RPG again.
This Frenchman might be insane but I'll be darned if I do not speak the truth: KOTC 1 is the finest RPG experience in decades.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom