Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Harthwain

Magister
Evrart is a typical Soviet/postSoviet type of guy in charge. Like, half of local government or institutions' functioners in Russia looks and talks like that I suppose.
If I were to put Evrart somewhere on the map, I'd say first half of 20th century America. It's a perfect fit.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
it just so happens, almost every person who were in communist party of poland, and believed these ideas, become a "social democrat" politician

Hey, I found the SLD/Lewica types the most reasonable compared to the rest of the bunch. Not that it's saying much. But I'm worried that Biedron's "true colors" are going to be SJW derangement.

Most of them are also vehemently pro EU.

The gibs are good, so why not?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, the Cyberpunk thread is discussing Polish money and economics, and the Disco thread is discussing Polish politics. Got it. :)

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
So, the Cyberpunk thread is discussing Polish money and economics, and the Disco thread is discussing Polish politics. Got it. :)

A necessary development to keep the slavic culture of the codex alive after the BG 3 thread has stopped talking about the socioeconomics of the Hungarians.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Linked in the Colony Ship thread. Wanted to comment on that without derailing.

Writing and UI literally inspired by twitter is kind of a meme. Seems like this is the origin? Funny that there was truth to that.

Fascinating that the Klaasje dialogue had so much work behind it. Worked really well on my PSY/INT build, all my blue stats wanted her free and all my purple stats (with suggestion being a traitor) wanted her jailed if I remember correctly. Was a funny dynamic.

Your designer/writer seems like a cool guy, and I gotta say all that Ui design paid off. The UI never got in my way and looked stylish in the final product.

If your goal was to innovate you absolutely nailed it, Disco was the most innovative rpg I have played since the FFXII gambit system in 2006 from the top of my head.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Writing and UI literally inspired by twitter is kind of a meme.
:deathclaw:
What is the meme exactly? Looking for an efficient way to deliver written information in attention keeping way doesn't seem funny to me. It is pretty interesting study of the modern day human nature.

Harthwain

Magister
What is the meme exactly? Looking for an efficient way to deliver written information in attention keeping way doesn't seem funny to me. It is pretty interesting study of the modern day human nature.
I think the meme is that something that's usually used for short-form communication has enabled people to participate in playing a game that's basically all about reading text for hours on end.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think the meme is that something that's usually used for short-form communication has enabled people to participate in playing a game that's basically all about reading text for hours on end.
There is text and there is text. Not all is as fun to read as Disco Elysium.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Writing and UI literally inspired by twitter is kind of a meme. Seems like this is the origin? Funny that there was truth to that.
UI was WIP throughout the whole game development process, because we were constantly iterating on it. Tweaking the animations or swapping art.

The dialogue layout as such - text scrolling vertically - was actually one of the earliest decisions. We knew that there’s going to be a shit ton of reading to do and the good ol’ Infinity Engine crpg era horizontal slab smack in the middle had multiple issues. Still, it’s a sort of gold standard and most recent role playing games still hark back to that.

We looked at different games and how they’d solved this and the (at the time) new Shadowrun had used the vertical menu and that showed the most promise. If you’ve played TToN then you might remember that while they went old school with the main dialogue menu, the MereCaster adventures were also presented as a vertical column. Same with the PoE text adventures. But with those approaches it’s a whole new menu with brand new art that, even when beautifully executed (PoE White March is my favourite of these two) it takes the players out of the top-down isometric view and aesthetic.

Anyway, choosing the vertical column is not where the work ended: the writers did great work figuring out the right rhythm and word count (hello, Twitter!) for delivering dialogues or thoughts or descriptions in the best way possible.

Getting the menu animations and delays right was an endless process all on its own plagued with various technical challenges and some dead ends.

The end result is the sum of multiple inspirations and a shit ton of experimenting all on its own.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hey, thanks for the heads up :cool:

Kasparov, did I correctly read that you were considering having a pregnant woman as the protagonist in your next game, or was I just drunk and imagined it? If so, how is that going to work? Sounds like an idea that could be either great or pretty damn awful.
It won't work unless their next game is a latino soap opra lol:lol::lol::lol::lol:

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
You should make your ANTAGONIST the preggo woman. That way your final choice could be to kill the evil bitch but also take an innocent life, or let her live knowing she'll keep doing evil shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom