Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I exaggerated for the comedic effect.

The slow battles in EB have advantages however - the slow rate of exhaustion increases the time differential between two midrange units fighting vs two longer lasting units fighting, this opens room for a metagame where you choose which unit to send against which so that the first side whose hands become untied from its initial combat can use the freed units to help its still engaged ones, and thus create an avalanche effect. This allows for victories where you started with, on average, lower-range units but defeated an, on-average, higher-morale army than yours. That's especially valuable as a tactic when playing barbarians fighting against civilized factions.

Another fun possibility which I've experienced is to have the main core of your army engaged for a few minutes, and then decide where to make a decisive push by comitting your back line or reserves. If you choose right, which isn't all that difficult with some experience, the enemy's army falls apart like a domino.

The same things are of course possible with the faster vanilla combat, but you have much less margin for error. Actually compared to modern CA games, with the smaller differential of morale values between low-tier and high-tier units, it becomes in practice impossible to sit back and judge the battlefield and make decisions after two units are locked in combat, at least in my experience.

Also, I don't know if this is a feature of EB or of MTW2, but the AI tends to split his army into main force and cavalry skirmishers, and try to flank me and harass with them every time. It also tries to sneak past the front line with spearmen and attack my general unit.

Last edited:
You can literally look at Malekith, he has "increased chance of loyalty loss for lords of a higher rank than Malekith". The word "increased" means that there is a normal rate of loyalty loss for lords higher level than your leader.
surely surely sure? might had it had been changed during the years? i would have sworn it only mattered for him. oh well, sometimes i can be wrong too, just once or twice u_u

kris

Arcane
You can literally look at Malekith, he has "increased chance of loyalty loss for lords of a higher rank than Malekith". The word "increased" means that there is a normal rate of loyalty loss for lords higher level than your leader.

this can be read in two ways.

This could be seen as increased in comparison to a "normal loyalty loss" or increased in comparison to how "all lords than a higher rank than faction leader lose loyalty". it is not clear.

I can definitely say that under normal games with my leader being high leveled I've never, ever had loyalty issues at all while during the one game where malus was lower leveled than my supreme sorceress she was losing loyalty every few turns and was almost impossible to keep loyal. At least I assume it was the level, maybe it was because she had a larger army than him or something similar. Who knows.

Also Queek from Clan Mors has the opposite trait where he steals XP from all other lords to keep his level high. This is possibly to reflect how Clan Mors is one of the more loyal skaven clans.

or most probably we're here wasting time discussing the sex of the angels while loyalty mechanics are the usual CA half-assed mostly-not-working job.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Speaking of Queek, i just took a look at his vortex campaign.
"Horned rat, notice me!"
He is cute

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The does not get enough credit for its sound design. Zoom into the world map and just listen.

The characters lines are of course memetastic.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been playing Beastmen, and... is it just me or are they the most horrible faction?
For one, they are a horde faction, so your gameplay is: Take 2 armies and walk around doing the odd raze & battle while trying not to go bankrupt. Can't split up, either, because everyone will just come at you with multiple armies from way outside of viewing range.
But, alright, that hordes kinda suck was known.

Maybe their buildings offer something?
Nah, two must-have buildings to actually be able to afford two full armies, that's it. The rest is entirely straightforward.

Their special campaign ability is just the old-style WAAAGH! in even shittier.

The quest-line is just "go there, raid that". Would have done that, anyway, but at least it gives you a direction, I guess.

So maybe the battles are fun with them!
Uhm... every single unit (except chaos spawns, at least with Morghur) is a glass cannon. Except the chaff don't even do any damage, so they die immediately and can't even chaff right, they are worse than zombies.
So you just form one gigantic line and attack-move into the enemy while manually walking your faster units around to the back as a semi-cavalry.
Except if the enemy is heavy on ranged, then you better bring a second army or just watch your entire army melt due to low armor and (at best) shitty shields before they reach the enemy.
Cygors can't hit anything, either. Guess depth perception is a bitch with only one eye. Especially after playing VC with their necrofex (which hits most of the time and does melee much better as well), this is just comically bad.

The one thing I like is how the nomad lifestyle enables you to play kingmaker in some local wars.

Maybe SFO or another mod improves them significantly, but vanilla just isn't fun.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Would you screw yourself over if you decide to invest into a yellow(combat) skill tree on your legendary lord?
Heard that it's not good because your lord can only be at one place during a battle but there is just something romantic about this option.

It depends. I like to focus on Army buffs, then the special lord tree, then lord buffs if the lord is meant to be a beatstick.
If you aren't building Grimgor for combat and buffing black orks you aren't Orky.

Danikas

Arcane
Fitting names for next Lord Pack release?

The Unvarnished and the Unpolished

The Broken and the Bitty

The Raw and the Rough

The Crude and the Coarse

The Scrappy and the Sketchy

The Unfinished and the Undeveloped

The Unrefined and the Unprepared

The Defective and the Deficient

I've been playing Beastmen, and... is it just me or are they the most horrible faction?
i don't know, i met some oddly endgame surviving and developed beastmen army and i thought it would have been a piece of cake with all the bad mouting around them and all, but their morale just wouldn't break, every single unit of them fought down to the last man, and won thanks to it. and that got me interested in them. but after all i'm a larper, i enjoyed chaos already.
vanilla, maybe a bug, i wouldn't know, right when i wanted to gve them a try the mixu's mods broke and i cannot play them on vortex map anymore. i need to muster much more courage to launch a mortal empire campaign =_=

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is this something only in WH2? I've fought Archaon and his armies did break and run.

_V_

Scholar
Funny, they're mostly the opposite for me.
Malagor + Gorebulls + Minotaurs + Cygors rape everything.
Malagor is decent in melee and casting and reduces enemy morale. Add to that Heroes with traits that also reduce morale and you have enemies fleeing after the slightest contact. (Rather annoying, actually)
Gorebulls are melee beasts with strong area buffs. Probably the strongest heroes IMHO.
Minotaurs are tough, strong and fast. With added lord and hero-area buffs they rape most enemies in melee. I prefer those with shields.
Cygors are a tough, strong and fast artillery. Perhaps not as good at range as other artillery, but tough, strong and fast...

Once the lords get a few upgrades to raiding/looting/sacking gold is a non-issue.

Overall I would rate them the second strongest faction (after dwarves) on an army scale. The other issues with horde factions apply of course.

Disclaimer: Can't remember if I played them vanilla or SFO.
I definately also played a campaign with "MK's Beastmen Children of Chaos (Taurox)"

Hordes have a serious problem in that looting sucks early game compared to your army cost so the best strategy is to disband your army and hide in a corner for 40 turns in order to come back with a full doomstack that shits on everything

Overall I would rate them the second strongest faction (after dwarves) on an army scale. The other issues with horde factions apply of course.

What lol. Aside from the -leadership cheese (which is literally just cheesing the game, has nothing to do with their army quality and I think there's at least 2 other factions with the exact same ability) they have very little. And Dwarves are one of the weaker factions due to no magic.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gorebulls are melee beasts with strong area buffs. Probably the strongest heroes IMHO.
Yeah, this is true.
I didn't add them to my armies at first because why get even more melee fodder?
But then I just had the money left and nothing else to build, so...
They are insanely strong, +11% missile resistance, +20 or so armor, +leadership, +attack (I think). For all units around them in quite the good radius. And if this is still the case (read from an old post), they even stack with other gorebulls and the lord. It's like a walking buff spell that also happens to be a great melee fighter.
Having one in your army and where most of the fighting happens is a day and night difference - so much so that I'd say they are pretty damn OP. No single unit should be that important to have. They turn your glass cannons into way-less-glassy cannons.

So, with gorebulls, I have to increase my rating of the Beastmen somewhat.
They are still pretty boring to play, though, and their campaign is still crap.

Cygors are a tough, strong and fast artillery. Perhaps not as good at range as other artillery, but tough, strong and fast...
Fast for artillery, sure, but who cares? They are still easily cut down by faster units (which is pretty much every other unit). Strong in melee, eh, only damage-wise. Their (melee) attack has practically no splash, so they are helpless against anything but low-unit-count units. I saw a cygor getting rekt by the cheapest Brettonia cav (mounted yeoman or sth?).

They are insanely strong, +11% missile resistance, +20 or so armor, +leadership, +attack (I think). For all units around them in quite the good radius. And if this is still the case (read from an old post), they even stack with other gorebulls and the lord. It's like a walking buff spell that also happens to be a great melee fighter.
Having one in your army and where most of the fighting happens is a day and night difference - so much so that I'd say they are pretty damn OP. No single unit should be that important to have. They turn your glass cannons into way-less-glassy cannons.

Units that apply buffs in the form of a unit buff (i.e. you can click on the unit affected and see it show the ability and say "gorebull buff name: +10 attack +20 armor") do not stack. Only one bonus takes effect at a time. This is the same way that you can't have 2 fire mages cast spells at the same time and double the -fire resistance debuff, all you can do is refresh the duration. Units that directly modify unit stats army-wide can stack. For example the Gorebull's +leadership bonus is not applied in the form of an ability but as a direct bonus to the entire army of the lord, so it can stack with multiple gorebulls. This can be confusing because there are similar bonuses that apply to the whole army that don't stack because they take the form of a map wide constant ability bonus rather than a modifier to the whole army.

So, TL;DR the +11% missile resist/+23 armor bonus, +36% charge bonus/+16 melee attack bonus will not stack with themselves but two gorebulls can apply both of these modifiers to the same units. +leadership bonus stacks and +recruit rank for all units obviously stacks. Stacking up to get rank 9 units immediately shouldn't be underestimated, that's like +10 MA/MD/Leadership army wide.

Fast for artillery, sure, but who cares? They are still easily cut down by faster units (which is pretty much every other unit). Strong in melee, eh, only damage-wise. Their (melee) attack has practically no splash, so they are helpless against anything but low-unit-count units. I saw a cygor getting rekt by the cheapest Brettonia cav (mounted yeoman or sth?).

They are mostly a MP thing, since they are strong enough in melee that your opponent can't just take them out with some really shitty 100 speed unit like dogs. Being decent high-melee attack units with terror also means that when they run out of ammo in a really close battle they can just walk around terror routing weakened units in MP to win you the match.

But in SP your AI enemy really doesn't try to snipe your artillery and on higher difficulties the fact that they get melee bonuses means that there's a good chance dogs will take out your cygor anyway. And if you have to bring your cygors into melee you've already lost because by that point you've probably lost 80% of your army, and pyrrhic victories are not really acceptable in campaign whereas they are perfectly normal and good in MP.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Uhm... every single unit (except chaos spawns, at least with Morghur) is a glass cannon. Except the chaff don't even do any damage, so they die immediately and can't even chaff right

Look at it from the positive side, when enemy is routing he can't outrun them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom