Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship update #45: the Armory

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7854.0.html

We're wrapping up the Armory (the second location), so we can finally show you something other than the starting town. Let's start with the intro:

With row after row of gutted depots, the Armory stretches before you as a shell of what it once was. The mutineers hit it fast and hard, overrunning the surprised security forces and stripping it of supplies. Weapons and armor meant for the future colony flooded the Ship, turning the Mutiny into a full-fledged war. The Ship Authority held its own in the end, keeping control of the lower decks, but at a great cost that went far beyond the Armory's lost supplies.

Your destination lies ahead – a reinforced door flanked by twin auto-cannons drawing on a seemingly inexhaustible power supply. No one made it past during the Mutiny, and no one's made it past since. Like the proverbial flaming sword outside of Eden, it sits as a guardian, a symbol of ancient strength, and a promise of marvels beyond.

You get the access card from Tanner (as mentioned in the combat demo), so getting past the automated security on that floor will be easy. However, you'd have to get past the local thugs first. You can fight or talk your way through or simply sneak past them. Multiple quest solutions are one of the cornerstones of our design philosophy.

QWaoWLw.png

is5Z1Ef.png

- The old dialogue box at the bottom of the screen wasn't big enough to fit all the text and PC options in more heated conversations, so we went with a vertical setup. It's still work in progress (we switched to it a week ago) so feel free to offer suggestions for improvement. I can't say I like it but it's either this or what we had in AoD or using a scrollbar to make sure you see all the options.

- We wanted to show the skills (you can see them leveling up while talking) but you'll be using all skills not just speech and there's no room to fit them all. Maybe something like index tabs on the side?

- On the dialogue design itself: in AoD it was easy to fail a check and end up dead or in combat. In Colony Ship failures and successes modify the disposition, giving you a chance to recover from your mistakes. For example, this reputation check leads to 3 outcomes:

low rep: disposition -2

“You high or somethin’?” Sharp Face asks, grinning wide. Clearly, he’s a man who appreciates quality entertainment.

medium rep: disposition +1

“Big words,” says Sharp Face, licking his lips. “The fuck you want here anyway?” The sudden change of tone indicates that he no longer sees you as an easy mark.

high rep: disposition +4

“Easy there, friend,” says Sharp Face, raising his palms to show he comes in peace. “No need to get all worked up over a joke. So, uh, what brings you here?” The forced casualness makes it clear that you’ve been promoted from prey to rival.

Let's show him the card instead:

o0a7lFW.png

Choosing a non-tagged line doesn't lead to a failure either.

diMI40u.png

Once you get past the thugs the door is all yours:

saRrjID.png

NJP6vyQ.png

The access card doesn't give you the keys to the kingdom. If you want to fully explore the Armory you'll need to beat retinal scanners on lower levels. At some point in the game the Armory will become your base of operations and you'll have to reinforce it (not base building but using scavenged parts) and defend against attacks.

Here's what you came here for - a mysterious device that starts the main quest:

fQj8aYD.png

dTenwbr.png

Random tidbits for those who read Playboy for the articles:

- We updated the engine from 4.22 to 4.25, which fixed a lot of minor engine-related issues without introducing new ones (well, except for some minor font issues – see below, but that's manageable).

- We implemented 'guest' mechanics when an NPC temporarily joins your party, bypassing the party limit. You control them in combat but don't have access to their inventories.

- We're working on the Pit's (the starting town) quests at the moment and it's going well. The quests should be fully scripted - meaning the Pit's fully playable - by the end of July (half of it is already playable and I don't mean the combat demo).

- The stealth system (the first prototype) should be ready by the end of the month as well. I'm sure it will go through several iterations (meaning it won't be done until the end of summer), but getting something playable is a very important step, if only for quest and level design.

- Speaking of quest design, we expanded the Pit yet again as we added more quests, so now the Pit consists of three areas: Mainstreet, Camptown, and the Outskirts.

- We replaced more animations, added different icons for gadget upgrade parts, redesigned the upgrade screen, and did a bunch of other minor improvements.

- The combat demo was download 5,761 times (3,754 on May 9). Slow but steady...

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I actually like the vertical layout and being able to see the entire dialogue and speech skills all at once.

Other than that, I think it's cool that you're moving away from the binary success/fail states from AoD which tended to be fairly extreme based on whether you had N levels of a skill/attribute or not. Seems like good stuff all around.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
This looks amazing. The art, the new layout, all great. Love it. (The scene reminds me slightly of the temple at the end of AOD, and shows such leaps in progress...)

I agree you probably should put it on the right. People will say you're copying DE, but it's still the better place to put it.

marek

Educated
Looking so forward to this! Also like the disposition idea when using skills to persuade someone of your point. However, if you use e.g. [computer] for actual technical understanding & getting more infos (not as a simple talking point), it should still be a hard fail/succeed instead of just modifying disposition.

cb.spike

Educated
Vertical talkobox is great but on a right side please. Will this change make it easier for you to add an option for bigger font?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
All I can say is, fucking WOW.

It's very good to finally see something other than the starting "town". Man this oozes atmosphere from every orifice.

I gotta say though, I'm not really a fan of the vertical talkbox... eh.. it feels just.. i dunno, not right. I guess right side would be better as some have pointed out, try that yeah.

But the best would probably still be horizonal with scrolling, eventhough that also is annoying.. eh.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The old dialogue box at the bottom of the screen wasn't big enough to fit all the text and PC options in more heated conversations, so we went with a vertical setup. It's still work in progress (we switched to it a week ago) so feel free to offer suggestions for improvement.
My suggestion would be to expand the lower bar to cover entire screen, and use this to show all skills and perhaps some status as well (high level disposition of current npc? Hostile/neutral/friendly?). The mostly static 3dscene probably doesn't need 70% of the screenspace.

I like the idea of disposition and partial fail/success a lot. Combining this with multiple available arguments being available for persuasion could make diplomatic characters much more fun.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks great, but the dialogue area should really be on the right. The text accompanies the image, so put it in the lower-priority end of the player's view.

Drowed

Arcane
I preferred the left one. Why do people rather have it on the right side? The left side is more intuitive and natural because most people, after all, read from left to right. I don't understand where the preference for that change came from. During the dialogue, the most important thing and what you will be reading is the dialogue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom