Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Arx Fatalis Thread

Gord

Arcane
I thought it did quite a lot of damage, too. Am I misremembering that? As I said, it's been a while since I played Arx.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Finished Arx a couple of days ago myself. They could've don something amazing by pursuing the idea of the Guild of Travellers, traveling through hostile cold environments on the surface of a frozen planet to visit other cities and locations to find out more about your past, instead of letting it devolve into a fucking Chosen One vs Ancient Evil plot :negative:
It is a very fun game though.

It's supposed to be an UW clone, you can't cargo cult UW without the avatar.

Israfael

Arcane
Just finished replaying it, amazing experience. While there're lots of flaws (possibly more than in any Troika/Obsidian game), it's still a work of art and game that was made for 'personal use' , so to say, not to sell it as much as possible. Arx, as well as Dark Souls and a very small amount of other games, have the thing that attracts me most - a certain sense of wonder, so to say, in the way of how exploration and discoveries usually feel. Shame it's very short and small if you play it the second (well upteenth in my case) time. It also has this kind of 'freedom of action' feel of the 80-ies/90-ies games that only DS1 managed to replicate, as well a simulation-y physicality that no later Arkane games or any other game have.

For instance, i was exploring the crypts and there are quite a few number of trapped chests / tombs. I had no scrolls of trap removal, so i decided to test the following - i casted telekinesis (thanks to 19+ int and lots of magic skillpoints, i can basically have it indefinitely up along with night vision), moved away a bit, and just opened the thing. Ominous clack, sound of an arrow and bowstring, but i was unharmed. Elated, i tried this trick on all other traps and it worked. What's even more fun, there's a trap lever in the crypts that will one shot you if you try to press it, you can also do this from distance and see that fireball is spawned right on the lever if you press it. It's actually cool and rare (extinct probably) today that the game allows you to find your own solutions to the problems. You can kill all and still finish the game, probably, never tried it though. All in a game that was made by 7 people, only 2 of which were coders. It seems all the skill was lost after y2k, if you remember how many people made x-com, doom and other major games of yesterday :decline:

Mesky

Barely Literate
Played it a year back, got stuck at the part where the bad guys take over the city, was severely underleveled / had a bad char build, I'm thinking of giving it another go, what's up with that fan sequel tho, is it dead?

Ash

Arcane
Played it a year back, got stuck at the part where the bad guys take over the city, was severely underleveled / had a bad char build, I'm thinking of giving it another go, what's up with that fan sequel tho, is it dead?

In its current state it's not that great, which is a shame considering the amount of non-profit work gone into it.

deama

Prophet
So, has anyone here played Arx: End of Sun? Currenty downloading and hoping to play tomorrow.
I think it's been dead since 2016.
It's a shame I suppose, but it did look really iffy so idk.
They should probably abandon that project and try to redo it in the actual Arx fatalis game engine since the source code has been out for several years now instead of continuing it (if they ever decide to).

v1rus

Arcane
Nevermind.

Turns out im fucking retarded, and cant manage to cast the second rune you find in the game consistently.

deama

Prophet
Nevermind.

Turns out im fucking retarded, and cant manage to cast the second rune you find in the game consistently.
The magic system is sadly wonky, I find myself having no problems at one point, but then am having trouble a couple of minutes later.
If you haven't already, install the arx libertatis 1.2 dev build which adds in alternative rune recognition which helps a lot.
http://arx-libertatis.org/files/snapshots/arx-libertatis-1.2-dev-2019-01-13/
(install the dev build after the standard arx libertatis mod).

v1rus

Arcane
Nevermind.

The magic system is sadly wonky, I find myself having no problems at one point, but then am having trouble a couple of minutes later.
If you haven't already, install the arx libertatis 1.2 dev build which adds in alternative rune recognition which helps a lot.
http://arx-libertatis.org/files/snapshots/arx-libertatis-1.2-dev-2019-01-13/
(install the dev build after the standard arx libertatis mod).

Actually did that! And ye, feels bit easier to use.

Shame, since i really love the idea of it.

VR Arx Fatalis when?

MichelMohr

Arcane
Developer
VR Arx Fatalis when?

Here I am, looking for the latest Arx Fatalis thread using google because there's no working search, lo and behold someone asks for VR Arx Fatalis.
Hypothetical question, for the spellcasting in VR, would you want to use multiple separate glyphs or a single more complex glyph to cast spells?

v1rus

Arcane
VR Arx Fatalis when?

Here I am, looking for the latest Arx Fatalis thread using google because there's no working search, lo and behold someone asks for VR Arx Fatalis.
Hypothetical question, for the spellcasting in VR, would you want to use multiple separate glyphs or a single more complex glyph to cast spells?

Hm.

Multiple separate glyphs for me.

MichelMohr

Arcane
Developer
Hm.
Multiple separate glyphs for me.

Cool, I might experiment with that. It makes the design a lot more complex, but maybe that's okay.
It implies separate glyphs have meaning, and can be recombined. But it allows for a scavenger hunt idea of finding new glyphs as well as new combinations in the world.
I currently have it so that a single glyph is a spell, but I do like combining glyphs. Plus it would allow for more generic shapes, easier for the AI to recognise.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/monsters-belong-in-prison-vr-dungeon-crawler.132531/

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Something to think about, what if glyphs were easier and easier to trace as your magic skills rise ?
It could also be glyph level related compared to your character magic skill.

It'd mitigate the Arx Fatalis spell-casting system wonkiness a bit.

Semiurge

Cipher
Is the GOG version enjoyable without third party patches/mods? PC Gaming Wiki recommends Arx Libertatis but implies that vanilla 1.21 is playable.

deama

Prophet
Is the GOG version enjoyable without third party patches/mods? PC Gaming Wiki recommends Arx Libertatis but implies that vanilla 1.21 is playable.
I remember trying to play vanilla on windows 7 a long time ago but when I started the game there was just a giant black screen with my hud on it; basically unplayabale.

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
Its not casting anything guys, what gives?
1tVQ1Va.jpg

Duraframe300

Arcane
I remember trying to play vanilla on windows 7 a long time ago but when I started the game there was just a giant black screen with my hud on it; basically unplayabale.

there was a official patch since

Unwanted

Horvatii

Unwanted
This game is terrible. All mechanics are broken...
Economy broken, stealing broken, magic broken, itemization broken, cnc non existant, walking speed terrible, story and writing retarded (i didnt know its ultima trash), secrets pointless since the econ is broken... wtf
Im level 3, put all stat points into Int for lulz, turns out its best build... and it looks like Im endgame ready...

There isssss one upsssside: Mommy!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom