Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I was talking about the Strange Cube quest which you do when you're like level 10-13.

Plot one? But you need to advance in Arena for that and do the Oligarchy quests.
Too much for 10-13 lvl.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Plot one? But you need to advance in Arena for that and do the Oligarchy quests.
Too much for 10-13 lvl.
No the one you get at Rail Crossing. It's when you pull the weird cube or orb at the facility and all the power rushes back in. You take it back to Rail Crossing and it knocks out all the Plasma Sentries patrolling outside Buzzers shop.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Im thinking about finally beating the expansion. I remember having hard time with PSI build at beginning even on veteran, these psi-beetles fucked me over. Is crafting ton of bear traps/molotovs the answer?
I also see there will be update with psi overhaul, wait or play now?

Unwanted

Sweeper

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
I also see there will be update with psi overhaul, wait or play now?
Styg is gonna nerf PSI into the ground (hopefully), so it's now or never.
As for the PSI beetles, if you're doing Bret's quest you can easily kill the ones in the warehouse, you'll need stealth, at least 2 molotovs and one frag grenade.
First take out the lone beetle in the room adjacent to the entrance. Then enter stealth, and open the double doors that lead into the main area, wait about 5 seconds so you have full AP and manually start combat. If a beetle goes through the door, quickload.
Throw a frag into the main room somewhere near the doors then close them. Wait about 5 or so turns for combat to end, the beetles will now be gathered at the door.
From here on you repeat the process except you'll throw the molotovs instead.
You should also use Force Field to block the passage once you throw the molotov. The beetles should stand in the flames, once the Force Field ends close the doors and repeat the process.
Should take you like 2 molotovs to kill/heavily wound most of the bettles, then you simply mop up any survivors.
Also you can do this with 0 throwing, but it's gonna require a bit of savescumming.

Parabalus

Arcane
Are melee builds even viable on dominating? Expedition native raids are painful enough as is, but they're downright sadistic for melee.

I did it with the katana, the constant snares in Expedition are horrible. Stealth through it and skip as much as you can. The natives who spam Mirror Image are just as bad, along with the critters attacking you from water.

Can't even imagine it without stealth, I think for the horticulture center you'd have to enter from 3 different directions to clear the serpents so you can access the elevator.

You should also use Force Field to block the passage once you throw the molotov. The beetles should stand in the flames, once the Force Field ends close the doors and repeat the process.

If you're doing this and have Premed already you can just kill them one free TK at a time.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Can't even imagine it without stealth, I think for the horticulture center you'd have to enter from 3 different directions to clear the serpents so you can access the elevator.
You can skip a ton of the aids stuff in the horticulture center if you go down a specific path, even without stealth. Might need lockpicking or hacking or a str requirement, I don't exactly remember, but I don't think so.

Parabalus

Arcane
You can skip a ton of the aids stuff in the horticulture center if you go down a specific path, even without stealth. Might need lockpicking or hacking or a str requirement, I don't exactly remember, but I don't think so.

But you still have to enter the elevator, which has serpents + wyrms surrounding it. If you aggro them and run past it, when you zone back into it you get -1000 initiative and will likely get rekt.

The best path I found is enter from the southmost point, go immediately down the stairs the north west, one map with 2 locusts hives than you go NW and up the stairs to the elevator. If you have enough AGI you can go directly to the elevator map and jump across the chasm. In both of those cases you still need to deal with the serpents, IIRC talking to the elevator even unstealths you.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
But you still have to enter the elevator, which has serpents + wyrms surrounding it. If you aggro them and run past it, when you zone back into it you get -1000 initiative and will likely get rekt.

The best path I found is enter from the southmost point, go immediately down the stairs the north west, one map with 2 locusts hives than you go NW and up the stairs to the elevator. If you have enough AGI you can go directly to the elevator map and jump across the chasm. In both of those cases you still need to deal with the serpents, IIRC talking to the elevator even unstealths you.
If you draw the serpents away prior to that with grenades or something you should still be able to do it. I know you can because I did it with my Spartan who had no stealth.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'm doing a hybrid Tin Can Assault Rifle / Psionic build on hard.
Psionic skills - Thought Controller and Temporal Manipulation (originally to 60, but may do 70 or so to get stasis because of that usefulness in bursting badassness).

First of all, HUGE CHALLENGE on Hard. First build on hard, and I'm loving it. I've died a bunch of times, and my health is at an all time low. It's insane.

Originally was gonna have Int at 5, but dropped it to 3 at the beginning to get Per to 10 right off. Then noted the crafting skills all took a big penalty, so upped it to 4 first level increase. Rest of the increases I will probably do Will to increase resolve.
Already Mercantile is ABSOLUTELY necessary because I'm getting f'd in the A otherwise on prices. I haven't invested in throwing, but I'm using grenades so damn much I might have to.
Aside from Iron Head types, everyone dies pretty quickly against me. Ironheads last a bit because of their damn vests avoiding bullets.

Stats
Str - 8
Dex - 3
Ag - 3
Con - 7
Per - 11
Will - 7
Int - 4

Skills -
Guns Max
Hacking / Lockpicking - I do a little bit every other level. Right now I think I'm around 50 for both.

Crafting
Mechanics - Max
Bio / Tailoring - About even in the 50's
Chem - none, but I'll need it to make specialty ammo

Psionics
Thought Control / Temporal - Even in the 50's

People Skills
Persuade / Mercantile - About even in the 40's.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Im ejoying my psionic build, but i wonder if it would be smarter to have only one school of psionics leveled and leave the rest of the points on other valuable things like evasion/biology/throwing etc. Second i went the tranquility route and glass cannon ie. 3 constitution. I wonder if psychosis and 9 constitution/no stealth/no dexterity build would be better than my own high int/high will/no con/no str/6 dex/8 agi. I think the criticals can be powerful late game, but on the other hand wasting 9 con, and then carrying yourself with 1/3 health is kinda meh and micro intensive,prone to quick/load.

hell bovine

Arcane
Im ejoying my psionic build, but i wonder if it would be smarter to have only one school of psionics leveled and leave the rest of the points on other valuable things like evasion/biology/throwing etc. Second i went the tranquility route and glass cannon ie. 3 constitution. I wonder if psychosis and 9 constitution/no stealth/no dexterity build would be better than my own high int/high will/no con/no str/6 dex/8 agi. I think the criticals can be powerful late game, but on the other hand wasting 9 con, and then carrying yourself with 1/3 health is kinda meh and micro intensive,prone to quick/load.
Well, if you want to max evasion, tranquility psi is a good choice, because it synergizes with temporal. Investing temporal improves precognition and with all the means of psi cost reduction available now, you should be able to keep it up all the time in battles. And you don't need that much biology for jumping bean & adrenaline (other means of raising evasion, plus adrenaline combines with psychotemporal contraction/accelaration for 90 ap). But I don't think temporal alone is enough for offensive power, so I'd combine it with something else, like metathermics. If distortion stacks trigger all at once (haven't tested it), you could use them to trigger thermo destabilization.

As for throwing, max distance you can miss is three tiles, if I recall correctly. Take that into account, and you can throw even with zero skill. But between the 90 ap & psi reduction cost, I'm not convinced that - outside of disabling robots with emps - it's worth to throw grenades around with a tranquility psi, when you can just spam spells.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
As for throwing, max distance you can miss is three tiles, if I recall correctly. Take that into account, and you can throw even with zero skill. But between the 90 ap & psi reduction cost, I'm not convinced that - outside of disabling robots with emps - it's worth to throw grenades around with a tranquility psi, when you can just spam spells.

Molotovs are good for burn status, plus flashbangs are quite useful.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Too much for 10-13 lvl.
No the one you get at Rail Crossing. It's when you pull the weird cube or orb at the facility and all the power rushes back in. You take it back to Rail Crossing and it knocks out all the Plasma Sentries patrolling outside Buzzers shop.

This one is easy.
Let them fight each other lol.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Ever wondered if that stolen train at rail crossing was really "stolen" by protectorate hired thugs, to put blame on free drones? Something in the writing feels off about protectorate involvement.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I've finished the Expedition with my psi/tranquility build on hard and i must say i like the expansion. It follows the tone of the original game, ie. you get mystery that isn't really solved, you have to tie information and plots together to understand what probably happened. Personally i like it that way, this way if sequel ever happens the pure dread and resolution of the plots will be much more impacting. Though i would like if we had possibility to join ranks of natives and slowly uncover the real reason behind the cult, throwing off the veil[probably like tchortists, starting benevolently, and then uncovering the true goals and horrible means to these ends].

I also find camp management lacking. It would be nice if there was more powerplay dynamic between aegis-natives. Like why not raids by Aegis? Why not claim that huge piles of weaponry and stockpiles i just uncovered in my latest lemurian spelunking? Both sides should hit, take losses, make themselves aback, scatter. Maybe setting up outpost in other places? Maybe im nitpicking, but it felt very static, just to defend yourself with pretty leisure timer on hand. A good commander knows when to strike and when to defend, Briggs seemed to defend and defend, and defend, while dwindling out. Why not take that 15 aegis troopers and clear out some native places?
Especially after you secure the beach with two plasma turrets and naga defender. We got that cool handheld communicator thinking there would be more things to do with it and supplement the faction dynamic. Pirates? Well they are pretty nonexistent, they don't harass you. I dont know if they harass after kidnaping professor, because i killed them all.

The pacing was ok, although you get bored in some parts, like the fetid marsh. Just too much locusts and hives, repeat ad nauseam. Just give some more variety to enemies for god sake! Going with biotechnician suit and some acid/bio boots i found, and low/low shield it wasn't hard but it got boring. I guess the puzzle minigames are ok, though i just used a program to solve them :).

My favourite part were Dude's missions and talks between ladelman and marky.
Im more and more convinced that dude must be from old biocorp.

It's a shame that the original game hadn't incorporated waterways in a meaningful ways. The expansion doesn't do that considering how many transition zones you have to move and how much time you waste[and energy which costs comparable to 25 stygian coins]. You can possibly go from junkyard or even SGS to core city using the jet skis but its so time consuming and its totally not worth it. It would be more worth it, if you could for example order someone to deliver your locker stuff to the jet ski, if you plan to move from one base to other[like you usually do moving from SGS/junkyard to core city]. Prices of these jet skis are insane, i can outfit whole house for the money of the most expensive jet ski. At least it is somewhat useful fighting these pesky respawning sea wyrms.

Overall i rate the expansion 7/10.

Just few questions: Ive delivered the mines to the camp, but i haven't seen these anywhere. Are they not rendered ingame? Are they just modifier to native chance of attack/size?

Also what happens when i don't defend the island? It get resolved eventually right? I presume its simulated in the background, based on troop amount, resources? What if it fails? You come to the empty camp? Everyone slaughtered?

Speaking of stealthy combat since im planning next build. Let's presume i incapacitate some enemies with flashbang, but one resist and stay awake. I reenter stealth, do incapacitated enemies lose their "red eye" status, or do they stay with red eye, just like their awake colleague? Basically do awake enemies give your position away, so the rest will also know where you are?

Last edited:
Im more and more convinced that dude must be from old biocorp.
He is. You get a new dialogue option with him about it if you talk to him after reading the chatlogs in DC. He doesn't admit it but the fact you can bring it up at all makes it obvious who he is.

Just few questions: Ive delivered the mines to the camp, but i haven't seen these anywhere. Are they not rendered ingame? Are they just modifier to native chance of attack/size?

Also what happens when i don't defend the island? It get resolved eventually right? I presume its simulated in the background, based on troop amount, resources? What if it fails? You come to the empty camp? Everyone slaughtered?

Speaking of stealthy combat since im planning next build. Let's presume i incapacitate some enemies with flashbang, but one resist and stay awake. I reenter stealth, do incapacitated enemies lose their "red eye" status, or do they stay with red eye, just like their awake colleague? Basically do awake enemies give your position away, so the rest will also know where you are?
I think the mines are rendered in the water? Not sure since there's always some stuff floating around. I have no idea how they work though.
If defence fails then everyone dies, yeah.
Enemies do share information with each other so you need to incap everyone to get back into stealth. Same way if one enemy gets the suspicious orange eye then every other enemy in the group immediately turns orange too.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Oh boy, I finally started playing Underrail! I deliberately kept it away for some time for I feel that I will spend a lot of time with it. There's so much Fallout-wannabes made by Slavic folk, and UnderRail beats them all to death.

As my new tradition goes, first run is absolutely blind. No guides, builds, no nothing. Started on Hard+Classic leveling. I'm still to early, but I already see some game-design decision intended to address the shortcoming of Fallout' combat, like "no more infinite healing in combat". Good stuff.

I play on glorified calculator, but UnderRail runs smooth as shit through a goose. Load and save times are blissfully short. I'm kinda surprised, for example, I tried to play Darkest Dungeon and load times there were awful.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Oh boy, I finally started playing Underrail! I deliberately kept it away for some time for I feel that I will spend a lot of time with it. There's so much Fallout-wannabes made by Slavic folk, and UnderRail beats them all to death.

As my new tradition goes, first run is absolutely blind. No guides, builds, no nothing. Started on Hard+Classic leveling. I'm still to early, but I already see some game-design decision intended to address the shortcoming of Fallout' combat, like "no more infinite healing in combat". Good stuff.

I play on glorified calculator, but UnderRail runs smooth as shit through a goose. Load and save times are blissfully short. I'm kinda surprised, for example, I tried to play Darkest Dungeon and load times there were awful.
Its a shame you didn't give the oddity system a try, but yes you have a lot of good times ahead of you. You might have to restart once you hit the major wall though if you tried to do too much for your build. That's part of the fun though.

Wunderbar

Arcane
the great thing about underrail is that it's not a Fallout wannabe, it's a combat-focused and systems-heavy dungeon crawler.

Stavrophore

Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I can't imagine a melee build on dominating, without great amount of CC. So basically psi monks with huge CON if possible, add some throwing. I don't know if traps could help for melee, though quick tinkering is extremely useful for ranged characters.

Blackmill

Scholar
I can't imagine a melee build on dominating, without great amount of CC. So basically psi monks with huge CON if possible, add some throwing. I don't know if traps could help for melee, though quick tinkering is extremely useful for ranged characters.

Melee's just fine on Dominating. The only bad part is Aegis base defense. Real fun being netted for 25 turns straight as melee and then waiting for 2 minutes each turn because there's three dozen NPCs in combat that have to act.

Parabalus

Arcane

Melee's just fine on Dominating. The only bad part is Aegis base defense. Real fun being netted for 25 turns straight as melee and then waiting for 2 minutes each turn because there's three dozen NPCs in combat that have to act.

The pirate raids are also a chore. Expedition in general is much tougher on melee.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom