Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cats and the Other Lives - point & click game from Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones devs

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
https://www.catsandtheotherlives.com

New, fuck you, update : https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ftian-computer-rpg/posts/2882045?ref=activity

Strange Lights Ahead! What’s Going On at Cultic Games?
23588b41175f0df6773db8fa4590d202_original.jpg

Brethren!

We’ve been looking forward to this day! Once again we meet with familiar faces over the ageless stone formations of the Nameless Isle and in our hearts, we clearly feel your desire to unearth what we’ve been brewing up in our lightless dungeons for some time now.

Without further ado, let’s sort some things once and for all.

First of all, we’ve been waiting for the continuation of Stygian for almost a year now. Unfortunately it is not only up to us to decide on this matter and the negotiations are still ongoing concerning the fate of our beloved universe.

But...

Did we sit and rot in the meantime? Of course not! That’s not what the undead do, instead they restlessly wander around, terrorize the living and of course, develop video games.

And that’s exactly what we’ve been doing.

We started working on a new title during this hiatus and already completed a good portion of the game in alpha stage. We will announce this mystery title very soon. All we can share for now is that the game revolves around a creature that is the most beloved of Mr. Lovecraft himself and it is going to be released next year.

It will be a complete experience in itself and we’ll have a surprise for all of you who own Stygian in their Steam or GOG libraries.

You’ll hear from us very soon, brethren.

Until we meet again at the gates of Ulthar.

Team Cultic

b6a87e19e88741c2f9fa35e91dd55732_original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I mean, in that first part they are clearly talking about plans to sequel and/or 'enhanced edition' Stygian. Sounds more like a sequel. Personally, I want a remaster since I haven't even bothered to play this yet, it sounds so broken. But something about the situation is obviously up to their publisher or whoever.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It better be a bloody sequel, because ending Sygian on a cliff hanger and leaving it unpolished is a shit move.
They just mentioned plans for a sequel are held up. :P
First of all, we’ve been waiting for the continuation of Stygian for almost a year now. Unfortunately it is not only up to us to decide on this matter and the negotiations are still ongoing concerning the fate of our beloved universe.

"the game revolves around a creature that is the most beloved of Mr. Lovecraft" and "gates of Ulthar" means it's a Cat of Ulthar-playing game https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cats_of_Ulthar

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
It better be a bloody sequel, because ending Sygian on a cliff hanger and leaving it unpolished is a shit move.
They just mentioned plans for a sequel are held up. :P

"the game revolves around a creature that is the most beloved of Mr. Lovecraft" and "gates of Ulthar" means it's a Cat of Ulthar-playing game https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cats_of_Ulthar

I did the Cats of Ulthar. I thought it was a nice little short story.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
We started working on a new title during this hiatus and already completed a good portion of the game in alpha stage. We will announce this mystery title very soon. All we can share for now is that the game revolves around a creature that is the most beloved of Mr. Lovecraft himself and it is going to be released next year.

It will be a complete experience in itself and we’ll have a surprise for all of you who own Stygian in their Steam or GOG libraries.

Cat does point and click. Their new game is a "narrative experience" with "a simple yet intuitive point and click play style":

ss_278ec6f6a619f0ad7daeb52b41eb32c94834fc50.600x338.jpg
ss_2592245dc59e7a3cefcc9448bd86a9f08dd7e7ca.600x338.jpg

From the eyes of a cat,
Through the memories of a family.

cat-mood.png

Following the passing of grandfather Bernard, all of the remaining members of the Mason Family returned to their childhood home once again.

As Aspen, their house cat, players will touch the hopes, disappointments and regrets of the enigmatic Mason family, traversing through a rich narrative that spans over decades.

The game embraces a simple yet intuitive point and click play style, emphasizing design elements based around the behaviors of common house cats seen around the world.

Is the cat just a witness, or does this animal have a more mysterious role in our lives than we anticipate?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Transitioning to an adventure game makes sense. The facelessness looks weird, but I suppose it makes sense from a cat's perspective. Video gives a 2021 release date, so "soon" doesn't mean this year.

This game contains strong language, sex and references to alcohol and drugs.

:what:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Should be a strong "don't mention the war" element ITT with regards to Lovecraft's cat's name. But it looks like we've blown it already.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Hey, it's —Alley Cat II— :)

*This is not a bad comparison IMO... Just consider the original's gameplay, and what a modern 2020 game writer would do with it if they were making a sequel.

This game contains strong language, sex and references to alcohol and drugs.

I wonder if that could be from an automated word-scan of a game about cats?
(How many other words for cat can you think of?)

**Looking at the video though, my guess is that the cat walks into occupied bathrooms a lot.

Last edited:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1698219403/stygian-a-lovecraftian-computer-rpg/posts/2885726

Cultic Announces its Next Title: Cats and the Other Lives

Greetings Brethren!

We are very proud to announce Cultic Games’ upcoming title “Cats and the Other Lives” to you!

CatOL is a unique narrative experience that explores the reunion of a broken family from the perspective of their house cat,Aspen.

You can learn much more from our recently launched website:

https://www.catsandtheotherlives.com

“Cats and the Other Lives” will be released in 2021.

Please subscribe to our social media pages for news on development and more.

Team Cultic

Last edited by a moderator:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This is what happens when a game company runs out of creativity. Cats game ... for Apple Arcade.

vota DC

Augur
Aspen the observer cat? Real cats are conquerors like Verdauga!

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Devs wrote this on July 2, I put it here for those who didn't pre-order:
It [= Cats and the Other Lives] will be a complete experience in itself and we’ll have a surprise for all of you who own Stygian in their Steam or GOG libraries.

You’ll hear from us very soon, brethren.

Team Cultic

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom