Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Vagrus: The Riven Realms - post-apocalyptic fantasy caravan master RPG - now with Sunfire & Moonshadow expansion

Sztaszov

Lost Pilgrims
Developer
Actually Sztaszov why isn't the prologue available on Steam already? I thought it was just a continuation of the free demo from the Steam Game Festival.

Hey, the Summers Festival Demo was available on Steam for a while but no longer. (Originally the Valve team said they would take it down right at the end of the Festival but they did not so was there for another week.) But no worries, it will return as a standalone app, called Vagrus - The Riven Realms: Prologue, and stay available for free in the long term so players could get a taste of Vagrus and decide for themselves whether they wanted to buy the full game or not. As you said, The Prologue will go live on July 10 on Steam right after the end of the Steam Summer Sale, and it is already available on GOG. Hope this helps!

Ah, so you're waiting for the end of the Steam Sale so the release gets more attention. OK.

Yep. Truth be told we have to say thanks to the Valve team for that. Originally we set the release date for the Prologue to June 24 and they reached out to let us know that because of the Summer Sale it would get buried and we would lose most of the visibility period that a new release gets in a month after its release. We took their advice and moved it to after the festival. The gap in between the availability of the demos is a little inconvenient but it probably would not have been seen by many players anyway during the festival. So we are hoping it's gonna turn out as a good call. Will see. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I tried the demo. Fun game, cool world, good UI. This has the potential of being what I had hoped Banner Saga to have been (and it disappointed on most fronts). Looking forward to the final release. :greatjob:

Lares Hill

Lost Pilgrims
Developer
[Source: Steam Store Page]

The time is upon us! As we have previously announced, a permanent version of Vagrus' free Demo has finally landed on Steam today (July 10) following its success on the Steam Summer Event, released as a separate application here on Steam called Vagrus - The Riven Realms: Prologue.

You will probably be pleased to know that this incarnation of the demo has a small set of achievements you can complete, too.

The Prologue is made up of two parts:
  • The first section of the standalone story 'Pilgrims of the Wasteland', which is also the tutorial of the game.
  • A taste of the Open-World main campaign with character creation and the first five turns to play.

The Demo has about 2-3 hours of playable content (depending on playstyle), and it is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux.

To help us and the game, consider writing a review about the Prologue on Steam and recommend the game to your friends!

Please bear in mind that the Prologue is a Demo of an Early Acces game. Some aspects are still being polished. You may find our disclaimer here, and we appreciate you submitting bugs and ideas on this thread here.

The Lost Pilgrims Team

I tried the demo. Fun game, cool world, good UI. This has the potential of being what I had hoped Banner Saga to have been (and it disappointed on most fronts). Looking forward to the final release. :greatjob:

I'm looking forward to the EA release tomorrow. This should be a very interesting title. A refreshing change from the usual swill.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/vagrus-the-riven-realms/updates/1273

Vagrus Early Access LIVE: Claim Your Key - Play The Game - Post A Review

First Order of Business - Claim Your Vagrus Keys
If you have not done so already, please redeem your game key here: https://www.fig.co/account/campaigns/game-keys.
That is especially important as the previous Alpha access builds on Discord and Itch.io are now disabled - your journey continues on Steam or GOG.com from now on.
We will, of course, remain available on our Discord server to discuss game insights, help with tips and hints, and just to chat from time to time.

Play the Game - New Features in the Early Access Build
The Early Access builds are not only a copy of the latest live discord builds but bring along some really cool new things, so it is definitely worth jumping into it once again (or for the first time).
  • Milestone 22 — New Features: Hunting & Foraging, Odd Jobs, and Healing
  • Milestone 23 — Feature Update: Scouting enhancements
  • Font size adjustment option for Events, Codex entries, and tooltips
  • New story content involving the Dread Reavers
  • A gazillion bug fixes and narrative edits
See detailed patch notes at the end of this post.

Help Push the Initial Momentum
The launch of a game depends on a great number of things, some of which we have no influence over, while there are others we - you and us - actually can somewhat control. One of those things is critical for success, especially for a very niche game like Vagrus: reviews. Based on our experience with releasing the Prologue, we know and expect that some players will feel the game involves too much reading or find it way harder than they would prefer. We are trying our best to communicate those upfront and if you guys can mention them in your reviews for the game, that would be a huge help. Not only for those players by warning them off before buying the game but for us by avoiding to get some unnecessary negative reviews.

Another great way to help us and the game is spreading the news about Vagrus entering Early Access. Be it on any social media, sharing links to our Fig campaign here (so more money would reach us and be used on development), or our storefronts: Steam and GOGcom, or even just our launch video can help us tremendously. Thanks in advance!

Patch notes v0.5.13
New or Updated Features
  • New Leadership perk: Encourage (Raise Morale during camp using Resourcefulness)
  • Brand new camp UI and along with it a number of new features
    • Hunting and Foraging in the wilderness (less effective on the roads / near settlements)
    • Odd Jobs in settlements (work for a little money instead of resting)
    • Better visibility on natural Companion Healing and Crew Workforce
    • Liberate & Discipline direct access on camp UI
  • Now Scouting brings back reports on Crew Combat, Hunting, and Foraging chances too
  • Leader Status tab added (it will come into play later when Faction reward statuses are implemented)
New / Updated Content or Game Mechanics
  • The journey of The Dread Reavers continues (you can pick them up where you left them
  • Added a few new sound effects
  • Slight tuning of Trade tasks to make them a bit more profitable
  • Changes to Camp Defense Order requirements and impacts
    • Now you can select higher-level Guard Orders even when you do not have sufficient number of guards but at the cost of Vigor
    • Ordering guards to rest now generates +1 Vigor if you have many of them
  • Lowered the reputation knock-on effects for Opposing/Allied Factions on lower reputation tiers
User Interface Improvements
  • Font size option added (only affects Events, Codex entries, and Tooltips)
  • Event Scroll Speed adjustment option added
  • A great number of character art assets resized to better reflect their intended height
  • Event UI Scroll behavior slightly better suited for wide screens
  • Warning icons displayed for Understaffed and Unguarded status effects to highlight crew composition imbalances
  • Deputy pane tooltip improvements(requirements for assigning clearer)
Fixes ️
  • Day-night bug squashed
  • Cargo calculation issues resolved
  • Events coming up twice on the same day bug fixed
  • Max node distance in a single movement increased
  • Gear auto-unequip during loads fixed
  • Various smaller fixes
Coming Up Next
  • Faction rewards
  • Game performance improvements
  • Mega update: Deven region

Steam reviews are so powerful that developers now have an incentive to encourage people not to buy their games.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/vagrus-the-riven-realms/updates/1273

Steam reviews are so powerful that developers now have an incentive to encourage people not to buy their games.

yes, they are worried people who don't like to read might buy the game and the whine its not 100% voiced acted.

The game has great atmosphere and good writing. I wonder if the sort of high price is another way to try and control who buys the game, with the idea a higher priced game ensures people will pay more attention and know what they are buying instead of just reflexively buying something on a whim and then whining about how the game plays because they did not do any research into the game before they bought it.

I played the free Demo that was out like a few weeks ago, but my understanding is this is more detailed and involved than that was, as it involves more of the open world.

Sztaszov

Lost Pilgrims
Developer
yes, they are worried people who don't like to read might buy the game and the whine its not 100% voiced acted.

The game has great atmosphere and good writing. I wonder if the sort of high price is another way to try and control who buys the game, with the idea a higher priced game ensures people will pay more attention and know what they are buying instead of just reflexively buying something on a whim and then whining about how the game plays because they did not do any research into the game before they bought it.

Precisely.

I played the free Demo that was out like a few weeks ago, but my understanding is this is more detailed and involved than that was, as it involves more of the open world.

Yes. The Early Access build holds more than 50 hours of playable content (500k+ words of narrative), and we plan to add a lot more.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Imagine a game bar. You enter it and are greeted with countless tables. After scouting for a while for nice place to sit and drink favourite beer to wash away taste of decline and popamole game design, you notice Age of Decadence, Morrowind, Rome, Dark Sun, Darkest Dungeon, Starsector and King of Dragon Pass sitting in corner and calling you over to sit & drink in their company. Only RPG Watch old bitchfag who lost his reading glasses would pass such opportunity!

Vagrus gotta be among my top 5 most promising RPGs! It is everything I need: Season III of HBO ROME, Morrowind's mercenary, politics & trade simulator and post-apo King of Dragon Pass populated with Dark Sun denizens. Writting is sharp and hella interesting, grabs attention. On top of everything I said about Vagrus, it's also got real strong Pen&Paper feel, as if you took your favourite D&D book and its pages came to life. Strong recommendation

P.S. It even has recruitable sexy battle angels, fanatical roman centurion bros and WWE Rock with mantis arm. Buy and enjoy it, Vagrus deserves 25$ more then any Twitch Thot you're probably bankrolling

Shem-Rizhu

Literate
The demo left an impression, but still not enough to make me ride the caravan on day 1.
Better wait for some enlighted feedback from the CODEX instead.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Well, if you think Darkest Dungeon is a RPG, the conversation is over...
Nah, neither is HBO:ROME. Vagrus uses refined and improved Darkest Dungeon combat system (that's only reason why DD is sitting at the table with rest of Vagrus' inspirations) for smaller fights (MAX your party size: 6) but it also has much larger, army fights, if you choose playstyle of Lord from Bannerlod or Griffith from Berserk

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Early Steam & GOG reviews seem to be positive. Also it's slowly climbing up GOG's bestseller list while slooowly being pushed down Steam's top selling. Disclaimer about amount of text and price have done their job: Vagrus is recruiting new players, amount and type that precisely needs for Early Access to continue. I hope devs have reasons to open crate of Staropramen beer tonight
cheers.png

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Vagrus uses refined and improved Darkest Dungeon combat system (that's only reason why DD is sitting at the table with rest of Vagrus' inspirations) for smaller fights (MAX your party size: 6)

Yeah, Darkest Dungeon combat and now Numa-Numa's word count.
If it's not dark omens, i don't know what is.

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
If if not dark omens, i don't know what is.
Dostoyevsky also had NumaNuma word count +M

Most of it is used for different quest paths of which there are so many that american interstate highway system looks like country road in comparison. Also I said refined, improved DD combat with party size increased to 6. Combat has depth, literally, it's two rows deep. At least throw look at it, had you spent fraction of time you have spent hating it instead on checking it out, maybe you would hate it less

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
If if not dark omens, i don't know what is.
Dostoyevsky also had NumaNuma word count +M

Most of it is used for different quest paths of which there are so many that american interstate highway system looks like country road in comparison. Also I said refined, improved DD combat with party size increased to 6. Combat has depth, literally, it's two rows deep. At least throw look at it, had you spent fraction of time you have spent hating it instead on checking it out, maybe you would hate it less

I was undecided but now thanks to you I really want to hate the game. GG.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hey guys, we have a post-apocalyptic...
:??

...turn-based...
:)!

...reading-intensive...
:D

...RPG for you!
:incline:

And it's only $26!
:o ... :(

Just remember that for every one of you who won't shell out $26 for an actual RPG, and expect to pay $5-10 for every game for some inconceivable reason, there are at least a dozen EA fans shelling out $60, plus $120 for DLC, plus hundreds for the microtransactions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom