Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Also, I really don't understand cursed items. Some of the ones that I've encountered at this point of the game seem sort of beneficial and I don't know if I'm missing something obvious with them. The very early-game cursed items seemed to be just bad. Other than being unable to remove them, what are the point of these items? Like the vorpal blade for example.

Some of the cursed items are great, but drain your health each step, IIRC. And I think there are also items that regenerate health each step, so that you can cancel out the negative effect and just use the cursed item.

Diving bell and harness have single use. Most critical items are single use, except maybe a couple (though those are important).

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm stuck!!!

I'm in the Cromlech of the Clock and I can't figure out how to pull down the lever. I saw the hint about starting an emergency, but I can't figure out how to cause it. I also still have the power jack and all of the miscellaneous objects I picked up earlier and can't figure out how to use them, I tried to combine them to no avail. Tried using them with the computer as well...

EDIT: Okay looks like I missed a few areas, but after some searching I feel pretty confident I know what I've missed! Just have to wait until after work to proceed :dealwithit:

Last edited:

Piotrovitz

Savant
I just started another run (is there a cure for chronic restart syndrome?) and need some advise on multiclasing:

1. I rolled with wolfin ranger, he's about level 5 or 6 right now, raising mainly bladesmanship and lethal blow. He's got poison dagger and gauche in offhand and is doing pretty well in melee. Question is, what to do with him? Should I keep him pure class and start pumping archery, hoping that I'll find some good ranged weapon soon? i was also thinking about turning him into cleric (don't have anyone with this school), but I don't know how the gear restrictions works here. Will he still be able to use bows/daggers/swords, or will have to stick with staves etc?

2. Aeorb sage - level 5 or 6, got most of the utility spells already and is starting to getting a little deadweight, especially that his only offensive spell is shrill sound. What should I do with this dingus, perhaps turn him into wizard, since he already has ~90 sorcery? Or maybe bard? Got couple of instruments already and they're only rusting in my inventory.

3. Burrower thaumaturge and Feyfolk wizard - main nukers. What to do with those two? Wait a couple of more levels so they can get high end spells (hailstorm etc)? and then switch classes so they can get a boost in MPs? I'm thinking about switching Feyfolk to necro, since she'll have bonuses, but have no idea what to do with Burrower. Also, I'm not sure how the spell gain works like - it depends on the char level, not the relevant magic skill, no? So let's take lightning bolt, which is lvl 8 wiz spell - if I change class to necro on lvl 7, does that mean I will never learn lightning bolt?

More general questions:

1. Does metallurgy works now? Is there some crating system that provides some tangible benefits?
2. Is it worth to invest heavily in mephistics? Right now my naga assassin can apply poison to weapons that wears down after hit or two - not exactly the best skill investment.
3. Is nature lore worth it?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
1. You can check which races and classes can equip an item by looking at the item's stats.

2. Sages have the music skill, so you don't need to have a Bard for that. Check which spells the Sage will get at what level to decide whether you want to skip those or not. Sages are also the lockpickers like Thieves and a couple others.

3. Barrower Thaumaturge can do the most multiclassing of any race/class combination. Here, for inspiration:
http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Classes#Multiclassing_Careers_by_Race

And yeah, you unlock spells based on your class and your level in that class. The magic skill is only for spellcasting.

1. It is pretty useless overall - you can temporarily increase armor AC or sharpen your weapons, but that's it.
2. Same as metallurgy.
3. Not really.

Here is more on that: http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Skills#Advice_on_Skills:_Which_ones_are_important.3F

Gunnar

Arbiter
I don't recommend Archery. You have to invest in Accuracy, the arrows aren't easy to get until later on and there aren't many good bows in the game. I also found Archery to be not as good as other weapon types in general because the arrows can't hit incorporeal beings.

Dorateen

Arcane
Winged Justice is an effective ranged weapon. The advantage of ranged attacks is when you face encounters with multiple rows of enemies. An archer can target those monsters, which your front line damage dealers might not be able to reach, depending on weapon. Something to consider.

Piotrovitz

Savant
2. Sages have the music skill, so you don't need to have a Bard for that. Check which spells the Sage will get at what level to decide whether you want to skip those or not. Sages are also the lockpickers like Thieves and a couple others.F
The problem with Aeorb sage is that his physical skill gains per level are abysmal, like 1-2 points on level up. With that pace I will die of old age IRL before I raise music to a reasonable level.

And yeah, you unlock spells based on your class and your level in that class. The magic skill is only for spellcasting.
Got it. This means then, that if you want to multiclass heavily, there is no option to unlock spells like firestorm or feezing sphere.

Is it true that after class change the spell effectiveness is governed by your new magic skill, regardless of the spell? Say, thaumaturge with alchemy 100 switches to wizard and has like sorcery ~20 - does that mean that his toxic cloud (thauamturge exclusive spell) will fizzle while casted at high level?

1. It is pretty useless overall - you can temporarily increase armor AC or sharpen your weapons, but that's it.
2. Same as metallurgy.
3. Not really. F

That's kinda sad actually.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Skills increase with use, even if you aren't successful, so you don't need to manually assign points into Music in order to boost it. Just keep playing every turn.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
This means then, that if you want to multiclass heavily, there is no option to unlock spells like firestorm or feezing sphere.

There are. Your last multiclassing class can go as high as it goes and you can also scribe spells from books, though finding the right ones is a rather tricky business.

Is it true that after class change the spell effectiveness is governed by your new magic skill, regardless of the spell? Say, thaumaturge with alchemy 100 switches to wizard and has like sorcery ~20 - does that mean that his toxic cloud (thauamturge exclusive spell) will fizzle while casted at high level?

Well, spellcasting effectiveness is tied to your current level to some degree, though I think the spells are always governed by their own magic skill. It wouldn't really make sense otherwise.

That's kinda sad actually.

Well, I think Cleve had big plans with crafting items from parts you find (as the skill description still says), but then opted for the much simpler sharpening and AC increase to get it finished.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Well, I think Cleve had big plans with crafting items from parts you find (as the skill description still says), but then opted for the much simpler sharpening and AC increase to get it finished.
Does the AC bonus or +dmg from sharpening even get better as your metallurgy goes up?
Same with mephistics - does the poison gets better as the skill goes up?

Btw. thanks for all the tips Lady :shittydog:

Derreke

Literate
I am stuck in the part of the game where you have to find the parts to fix the generator and potetiator tanks so you can use the hydrolift.
I found the gearband and the y adaptor and fixed the generator. I placed the magneto disks. one the tanks cracked open but I understand it is supposed to
when I go to use the pulley to get the hydrolift the lower, I cant do anything
please help

Derreke

Literate
yes Lady Error . it teels me if I fix the generator and the potentiator the pull chain will work . I fixed them and the pull chain does nothing

Gunnar

Arbiter
I remember having this problem. It's really bugging me because I can't remember what I did to fix it.
I found the gearband and the y adaptor and fixed the generator. I placed the magneto disks.
Could it be the order? Can you turn off the engine and back on again?

Derreke

Literate
im going to go back to an earlier save hate to do it. I read I was supposed to fix the generator first. Then place the discs. I did it in that order. The glass broke on the potentiator and I beat three creatures. but when I went to pull the chain to go down to the control room. nothing

Dorateen

Arcane
I checked the notes I kept, and can confirm that I first fixed the generator, then used the magento disks. One of the tanks break. Our party was then able to take the hydrolift up to the Tidal Pump Station.

On a side note, I see that our party's thief got his 100th backstab at this time on an electromaggot, doing triple damage.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I am stuck in the part of the game where you have to find the parts to fix the generator and potetiator tanks so you can use the hydrolift.
I found the gearband and the y adaptor and fixed the generator. I placed the magneto disks. one the tanks cracked open but I understand it is supposed to
when I go to use the pulley to get the hydrolift the lower, I cant do anything
please help
Bit late, but here's what I did: Put the gear band in the generator, put the y-adaptor plug in the generator, put the magneto disks in their slots and break the tank, then just go to the lift and it works.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
im going to go back to an earlier save hate to do it. I read I was supposed to fix the generator first. Then place the discs. I did it in that order. The glass broke on the potentiator and I beat three creatures. but when I went to pull the chain to go down to the control room. nothing

Order doesn't matter. There will be a missing step. I have had similar experience in testing and step was missing. No need to wind back, it is not a bug. Something is missing.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Does anyone remember how to get through the spiderwebs in the Tower of Knossos?

Farewell into the night

Hey man, I was wondering... How many times have you played the game from start to finish?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
That reminds me.

"Gold Lady alone before the sea
The harp will sing this melody
Summon up through fathoms five
The kelpy chariot from deepest dive
I writ thee... Aurora."

What does that have to do with Knossos? That clue makes it seem like it's related to the harp woman in Loch Lalain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom