Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

m_s0

Arcane
I just installed the GreyFace patch and started a new game. I went directly to the nearest peasant and he said "I heard you've committed a lot of crimes, including killing people." I don't know what the fuck is going on with this game.
I think that's just your starting reputation causing this - I recall some npcs being this way in my playthroughs as well. Ignore, play the game, it should go away eventually (fairly quickly).

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
I expect quite a lot of hate for this ('tis Codex after all :D) but recently I've found a tool which changed my experience of playing M&M1 from tedious to quite fabulous.

The tool I'm talking about is called Where We Are, is free and can be downloaded from here.

It calls itself "An automapping retrofit for Might and Magic 1-5" but it's a lot more than that. Basically it's kind of a framework for playing M&M series. It manages mapping, taking notes, displaying various helpers (e.g. shop inventory, spell list, party quick reference, item list etc.) and basically keeps track of everything that happens in game so you don't have to do it.

It also is fully customizable and allows to tweak all these settings to your heart's desire.

Cherry on top is the fact that WWA integrates beautifully with DOSbox (vanilla or daum).

Here are several screenshots from one of my sessions, showing various options and screens. And yes, I named my robber Bilbo. Bite me.
In town:
HEWy4uB.jpg

Overworld:
ttOBgJH.jpg

Encounter:
9bK7j0E.jpg

Cleric spellcasting:
kjx0tAs.jpg

Wizard spellcasting:
FzEsdJJ.jpg

Options:
qW1B2Ng.jpg

KxqYC6a.jpg
This.is.great. :)

xuerebx

Erudite
On recommendations from the previous page I'm 15 hours into MMIII. It's fun, although fairly simplistic, I guess the fun is more on the exploration aspect and finding/buying new spells rather than the combat system itself. It would have been great if you could write notes in a journal or on the map, it would make traversing easier. The inability to compare equipment (instead having to identify each item) is slightly infuriating when you have a lot of new loot and want to split them across the party too.

Do the 2 games in WoX improve upon IoT in any of the above aspects?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is pretty much the same. The Inventory system is pretty much the worst part of the older mm games. MM4 does have more clearer and easy to remember world than MM3 tho.

xuerebx

Erudite
Yeah I'm using my mobile for that, and writing down some notes. It's a 1991 game so I understand certain gameplay features only became common later.

akkadian5

Novice
Considering that early MM had aspects for mapping enthusiasts, handwritten notes are inevitable in a sense.

By the way, there is a strange behavior in the DOS version of Book 1 that I haven't seen mentioned before.
Look at this image...
20180714212426.png

This is the Dragadune dungeon.
The walls are red, right?

As anyone who has played the DOS version with common settings knows, the walls of the MM1 are usually all white.
However, this is the DOS version only. On Apple II and C64 versions, some dungeons have red walls.
To conclude, it seems that the DOS version of EGA mode has a problem and cannot handle the wall of different colors. If you set the screen mode to tandy or cga with graphset.exe, you will be able to see these differences.
(In tandy mode, it is necessary to change the setting of DOSBOX)

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
MM2

I do not understand. This Nordon guy could not lock away that goblet? I recovered the goblet but the goblins immediately stole it again.
How many times do I have to obtain it? :positive:

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I'm taking the opportunity to give a warning if anyone wants to play M&M for Apple for whatever reason like nostalgia. I always play the Apple version of most RPGs of the 80s because the emulator is very portable and to try something different. Anyway, here's the thing.

1) There are disk images arround that are corrupted or bad cracked or else (Or maybe I messed up those, who knows), when you start in Sorpigal everything is almost normal, but once you explore the world you will notice absence of NPCs, absence of pits and other traps in the caves, empty castles, some fake walls are unpassable, etc. What I did after discovering it was search another disks, I found a version with a (b) in the name file. Then I did some disk changing tricks in order to not lose my characters and progress. The Master Disk or side A with the (b) didn't work, it freezes in the game title, so I kept the other cracked version of side A.

2) Items like the Pirate Map A/B and Key Card don't have names, in other words, you get them and the message says: "you found ", in the inventory they take space but you don't see anything, it's like having an invisible thing.

And that's it, without that knowledge beforehand you will feel like a retard like me.

Last edited:

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
I am using this WhereAreWe utility program.
It displays values of a weapon: Maul +2, 1H, 1d6+2, AC 2, 1060 gold
But this item does not add 2 AC, isn't it?

AArmanFV

Arbiter
I found King Alamar and faced the impostor, then I died in the Soul Maze because before entering the Throne I spamed skill potions thinking I was going to have a fight, but didn't happen and one level-scaled combat killed me.

Well, the thing I'm going to ask is how far I am from reaching the endgame, it feels like this is a major quest.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Well, the game it's done. There is a lot to say, but I'm too lazy and tired to develop a better wall of text and besides, I'm in the RPG Codex so there's nothing new I could contribute in a place full of veterans. I will share some obvious words though.

What I'm about to say has been said a lot but it's impressive that Jon van Caneghem almost alone pull off this game, without removing credit to the other guys that helped to materialize it of course. Also, part of its design reminds me of Wizardry and Ultima, almost as if were a combination of the two.

I liked that the core of the game's design is the adventuring, then comes the quests and character progression that are very linked in between and helps retroactively to develop the adventure, in simple words adventuring gives you quests to do, those quests gives you more new locations to find and experience to your characters, so after that you can keep exploring more hazardous areas. Something so simple and still manages to accomplish a game with a lot of content and hours of play.

The level design is very memorable and fun to map, the overworld match very well the map that comes with the manual and like newtmonkey said in a post it feels like you explore a massive world instead of just a combination of 16x16 dungeons with trees and mountain layouts.

I did not like combat that much, I ended up with the impression that it was just about throwing the best of you in each encounter and then rest to not die in the next one. Also, most of the time I encountered multiple enemies and almost all of them were able to attack in hand to hand, making useless a lot of the spell repertory, because I really needed spells with wider range of impact (a lot of the spells only afected 1 enemy), specially fighting against spell caster monsters. At the end the solution was farm experience and gold in the wyvern's peaks (It wasn't boring though and felt very rewarding, I have to give some points to that). The bribe, retreat and surrender thing was a very interesting mechanic, but it turned out a bit useless in the middle game (was a miracle if worked so I stoped trying at some point). The only tactical aspect I found interesting in contrast to other RPGs I played from the era is that you don't give the orders of all members at once, that gives the oportunity to react a little bit in the middle of the actions, change positions during combat also can be an advantage of sort if only the first 2 are in hand to hand.

Character creation was a bit bland, but very easy and quick (the reroll feature being the main reason), now I think after playing almost the whole game that I made a mistake, that I didn't make an archer, a second character with Lightining bolt would have made things a bit easier plus the fighting ability. In the end like the manual said, having each one of the classes in the party was the safest bet in the long run.

The overall experience was great though, I enjoyed it and learned from it, I let some things unfinished to add replayability. Also I could have found the Inner Sanctum before recuing the King, It was mandatory to finish the game?

Last edited:

xuerebx

Erudite
Finished my first M&M game - Isles of Terra! Took me 35 hours. T'was fun although was becoming a bit repetitive towards the end. The combat was fairly simplistic and I think I became too powerful although I didn't grind (not sure you can call it grinding really since there are few "random" encounters and only in the wild) and there were some dungeons which I didn't explore. I was leveling up like mad in the last quarter of the game.

My plan is to play World of Xeen and M&M 6 to 8 throughout the course of this year.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Also I could have found the Inner Sanctum before recuing the King, It was mandatory to finish the game?
MM1 doesn't really "end", you can save your characters in an inn at any time and import them into MM2. The sequence of events is meant to be: rescue Alamar, confront Sheltem, get out of Soul Maze, find Inner Sanctum, take Gates to Another World. You can't do some without the previous one (eg you can't confront Sheltem before rescuing Alamar), and you won't get the "endgame" message at the Gates if you haven't found the Inner Sanctum first, but none of this affects your ability to import.

I thought Alamar gives you something you need for the Astral Plane, but when I thought about it some more I don't think that's the case. But I think you do need to free him before you're allowed into the Astral Plane.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Also I could have found the Inner Sanctum before recuing the King, It was mandatory to finish the game?
MM1 doesn't really "end", you can save your characters in an inn at any time and import them into MM2. The sequence of events is meant to be: rescue Alamar, confront Sheltem, get out of Soul Maze, find Inner Sanctum, take Gates to Another World. You can't do some without the previous one (eg you can't confront Sheltem before rescuing Alamar), and you won't get the "endgame" message at the Gates if you haven't found the Inner Sanctum first, but none of this affects your ability to import.

I thought Alamar gives you something you need for the Astral Plane, but when I thought about it some more I don't think that's the case. But I think you do need to free him before you're allowed into the Astral Plane.

I reached the astral place even before, using the diamond key, that's why I wondered if I could.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I reached the astral place even before, using the diamond key, that's why I wondered if I could.
This got me curious and so I looked at the script dump. You can get in at any time. You can even get into the Inner Sanctum if you have the keycard and have activated all the projectors, but if you haven't deal with Sheltem then the guardian (I always assumed the man in the white coat was the Guardian of VARN) will tell you to "return after defeating the imposter". Only after doing so will you get the message to send your score to NWC and to "report to the Gates to Another World", which is the game's "ending".

Dungeon Lord

Scholar
That mod looks really, really good. World of Xeen is good enough, but that is an impressive list of fixes. Also, my biggest pet peeve has been at least improved:
Equipped armor breaks when a character is knocked below -80 HP (before this threshold was -10 HP).
Good old times when I rather played with a naked party. Constant repairing got on my nerves.

MM2
Too much randomness in combat?
My fighter can attack 3 times. But sometimes only 1x or 2x. Why omg?
His weapon can damage 1d13.
So 1-39 the damage range?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom