Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If RPGs Had Evolved Over The Past 20 Years...

let me target limbs
how can you call it a roleplaying game if i'm not allowed to lob fireballs at someones dick
why is shooting some lunatic running towards you with a machete in the leg considered a trait/feat/skill
always center mass, what am I, an officer of Fairyland?

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
let me target limbs
tumblr_mi1l7e6GCO1qi6xywo1_500.png

Hello from 1997

Notice the groin option

Jrpgfan

Erudite
With that in mind: games would track your kills and provide you with insight bonuses against certain races and enemies.

I think outerworlds had(or tried to have) something similar, but that game was so shit I didn't bother to play enough to even remember its mechanics.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
With that in mind: games would track your kills and provide you with insight bonuses against certain races and enemies.
latest

The Rumbler Organ is a dense multipurpose organ, taken from the "chest" of a Rumbler. Researching it will allow you to learn how to best target the Rumbler for maximal damage. All damage you deal to Rumblers will be increased by 25%. A small amount of Molybdenum (Mo) is needed in the research process.

latest

The Monkey Brain looks much like your brain, except that it's smaller and there are hairlike silvery filaments penetrating it. Researching a Monkey Brain (requires Research skill 1 and a small amount of Fermium) will give you a 25% damage bonus against all monkeys.

Hello from 1999.

AngryKobold

Arcane
let me target limbs
tumblr_mi1l7e6GCO1qi6xywo1_500.png

Hello from 1997

Notice the groin option

Aimed shots in Fallout were effective (crippling) only upon a succesful critical hit. It was weird decision I could never understand. Repeated non- critical damage to a limb *should* eventually have the same effect.

Remember how Deus Ex introduced "health" for each limb of a character (not sure if it was only for PC or for all characters)?

Remember any RPG that included both aimed shot system and such health tracking?

Me neither.

And finally there's 2015 and Wasteland 2, a game featuring TACTICAL turn based combat, which provided none of said mechanics.

Degeneration would be the best word, not "evolution".

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

In Dragon Dogma, the NPCs that accompany the player gain enemy-specific knowledge, which allow them to indicate weakness (elemental weakness and weak points) during combat and (in theory) to use spells/skills that take into account the weakness.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Remember how Deus Ex introduced "health" for each limb of a character (not sure if it was only for PC or for all characters)?

Fallout 3 did this as well, which is just one of the few improvements the game brought into the table. I know I wouldn't have bothered with aimed shots otherwise.

mondblut

Arcane
RPG don't need evolution, they need to respect the basics and slightly improve upon the best formulas.

Examples :
  • A new Dark Sun with a KotC1-like engine with a focus on encounter design while strictly sticking to the the original design for everything else.

Eh, if RPG didn't have evolution, you wouldn't have Dark Sun, you'd be stuck with a fucking Akallabeth.

The question is, how do you say "Stop, little pot" when it's just good enough.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
let me target limbs
how can you call it a roleplaying game if i'm not allowed to lob fireballs at someones dick
why is shooting some lunatic running towards you with a machete in the leg considered a trait/feat/skill
always center mass, what am I, an officer of Fairyland?

This won't happen. You see, those archaic obsolete-design games are targeted to manchildren with nostalgia. And contrary to popular belief manchildren are not numerous, most outgrow gaming and do other stuff like fucking women, traveling, starting families, discovering shit etc etc. So you can't sell only to manchildren because you limit your potential revenue. You have to sell the same games to actual children, and this means no excessive violence or sex. So no shots in the groin for you.

Lagi

Savant
there should be 5x attributes:

strength - lift weight, hp, resistances to poison, cold, disease.
agility - speed, hit chance, dodge, reflex
reason- all craft skill, medicine, knowledge checks, language, use devices (magic weapons), speed of xp gain.
perception - find hidden door,trap, treasure, enemy. Sneak. Lockpicks. If its modern, this is for rifle long range shooting.
will - resistance to fear, pain, mind spell, charm. Social interaction (I mean shop prices). Sanity points.

this affect secondary stats, that are needed for every character:
initiative = agility (you act quicker) , will (you are less afraid), perception (you can spot the threat before, they spot you)
hp = strength (bigger can endure more), will (you are more resistant to pain= on 0 hp you refuse to get unconscious, if there is wound threshold, you act despite having leg rip out)

but there are also skills and feats for boosting all that.

but strength would be even more OP
attributes suppose to be most generic description of character in case of checking success for some unforeseen by system event. Above cover all possibilities and are the most clear.
f.ex.
"Alchemist is dead. But you get poisoned, by Black Lotus. You will die in 2k6 hour."
"I want to make an antidotum from the ingredients on the table"
"how? you don't know shit about herbs"
"there is book on shelf, there should be receipt. Fuck off. Let me roll"
"roll Wisdom - with disadvantage." [2x dice choose worse]

Strength as other attributes should not add a big bonuses (+0,2 dmg, +0,5hp). Not one that cannot be surpassed by skills, feats, level gain etc. And the attributes value should not be changed drastically after character creation (its not like you can gain 10kg of mass in 2 weeks).

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Aimed shots in Fallout were effective (crippling) only upon a succesful critical hit. It was weird decision I could never understand. Repeated non- critical damage to a limb *should* eventually have the same effect.
Well, let's consider such mechanic.

Damaging eyes often renders the opponent helpless, with huge aiming penalties; blind AI behaves like a blind one and can just ran away, that's legit. With crit system you can't blind everyone reliable; there's significant chance involved. Head and groin crits have high chances for knockback, head for KO as well.

Adding HP pool for limbs will completely ruin this system. First, there would be less chance and more tedium. Second, this will completely trivialize the combat. Like, aim eyes three times, enemy is blind, next one; every critter runs away at 70% health. That's why F3 and FNV has limb HP pools with crippled debuffs that are completely nerfed.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Items shouldn't have variables, but constants. A sword is as effective as it is utilized. Size and quality are factors of course, but they are constant. Rolling dice would primarily be concerned with character ability & skill. Consider two swordsmen, an "Ordinary Master" (3d8) vs a "Exceptional Journeyman" (2d10), both with the same weapon (+2).

The ordinary master has an 87.5% chance to get at least a 7, whereas the exceptional journeyman has only an 84% chance to get at least a 7. Experience/practice wins over ability for common tasks. Now when we get to rolling an 8, we start reaching the limits of practice, where as the ordinary master has a 75.59% chance and the exceptional journeyman has a 75% chance to roll and 8. This is where ability & experience intersect. Above 8 though, our ordinary master is outside the limits of their natural ability and has only a 33% chance to score a 10, while our exceptional journey man can unreliably score an 11 at 36%. Checkout this link. Use the Graph and At Least functions.

It makes for alot of interesting match-ups and controls bloat in the best way possible. There are also many ways to manipulate these dice for all sorts of conditions. People don't need to know precise probabilities. They can easily understand the relationship between larger dice giving a higher value, and more dice giving reliability. D&D 5E with advantage/disadvantage has demonstrated this. Even if explicit outcomes odds were needed, computers handle this easily.

When rolling in this system, how is success computed? Do you sum up all the dices or take the best result or have to achieve a certain number of success?

Lagi

Savant
Items shouldn't have variables, but constants. A sword is as effective as it is utilized. Size and quality are factors of course, but they are constant. Rolling dice would primarily be concerned with character ability & skill. Consider two swordsmen, an "Ordinary Master" (3d8) vs a "Exceptional Journeyman" (2d10), both with the same weapon (+2).

The ordinary master has an 87.5% chance to get at least a 7, whereas the exceptional journeyman has only an 84% chance to get at least a 7. Experience/practice wins over ability for common tasks. Now when we get to rolling an 8, we start reaching the limits of practice, where as the ordinary master has a 75.59% chance and the exceptional journeyman has a 75% chance to roll and 8. This is where ability & experience intersect. Above 8 though, our ordinary master is outside the limits of their natural ability and has only a 33% chance to score a 10, while our exceptional journey man can unreliably score an 11 at 36%. Checkout this link. Use the Graph and At Least functions.

It makes for alot of interesting match-ups and controls bloat in the best way possible. There are also many ways to manipulate these dice for all sorts of conditions. People don't need to know precise probabilities. They can easily understand the relationship between larger dice giving a higher value, and more dice giving reliability. D&D 5E with advantage/disadvantage has demonstrated this. Even if explicit outcomes odds were needed, computers handle this easily.

When rolling in this system, how is success computed? Do you sum up all the dices or take the best result or have to achieve a certain number of success?
take one best dice. The more dice you roll, the higher probability you roll max on any single dice.

this is not a complete mechanic, its just idea how to roll dice. You want to roll as high as possible, to beat the threshold.

I prefer taking the highest, as it simulates reliability without putting pressure on inflating the upper range. That die would then be compared against a target value for a challenge, or opposing roll of a creature.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Fallout 3 did this as well, which is just one of the few improvements the game brought into the table. I know I wouldn't have bothered with aimed shots otherwise.
It's not improvement, mate.

With HP pool you can cripple limbs reliable. This means that cripple debuffs should be nerfed or each limb HP significantly raised. Fuckthesda went with the former. No eyes or groin available for targeting. Blinding enemy is removed. Knockback is removed. Unconscious state is removed. Accuracy penalty from broken arms is lowered (inability to use two-handed weapons with broken arm and any weapon at all with two broken arms is removed). Mobility penalty from broken legs is lowered.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Damaging eyes often renders the opponent helpless, with huge aiming penalties;

Damaging eyes should render opponent dead or at best unconscious, unless the shooter was the world's greatest marksman and can shoot eyes without hitting the skull and brain behind them, or unless the target is some alien life form with eye stalks.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Damaging eyes should render opponent dead or at best unconscious, unless the shooter was the world's greatest marksman and can shoot eyes without hitting the skull and brain behind them, or unless the target is some alien life form with eye stalks.
- guy has helmet
- you hit that helmet
- shards of metal/glass hit guy's eyes
- ???
- blindness

Luzur

Good Sir
What if you accidently put your twohanded warhammer of Flaming Fury up the bum of a Ice Giant veteran

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
In Dragon Dogma, the NPCs that accompany the player gain enemy-specific knowledge, which allow them to indicate weakness (elemental weakness and weak points) during combat and (in theory) to use spells/skills that take into account the weakness.

BTW, wolves hunt in packs.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
- guy has helmet
- you hit that helmet
- shards of metal/glass hit guy's eyes
- ???
- blindness

Point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom