Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Interesting how companies recently focus on advertising PC specific features instead of just telling PC owners that they can be happy that the receive a sloppy port 3 years after the console release.

ADL

Prophet
Pretty expensive for a game that is sold for $20 on PS4 but it looks like it inherited some tech from Horizon Forbidden West so it's clear this isn't some bullshit port and the options and overall image quality are great even by PC standards. Impressive.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Its cheap? Whats the catch? (other than being a lousy console port)

Edit: AAaaaand its price gone up, way way up. (x4) The catch was them being stupid and/or slow I guess :lol:

Last edited:

Robber Baron

Savant
Good game, love the world they've created especially. Felt like Hyboria but instead of ancient ruins you have techno ruins.

Ulysa

Scholar
Just finished the game (including the DLC which is expansion-size). I would not call it an RPG (you eventually unlock every skill), but it plays similarly to Witcher 3 with better combat, story and loot system. However, W3 definitely wins on sheer amount of quality content (side quests), overall size and C&C (which is marginal at best in Horizon).
Also, for better or worse, this game is the embodiment of PG-13 content. Everything is mild and inoffensive, violence is tempered, there is no swearing, etc. I found this a breath of fresh air after overdosing on edginess is some other titles, but your mileage may vary.
But you have to kill lots of animals yes? I often prefer killing people than animals. (Ehh...in games, totally).

Codex Year of the Donut
Hi Team Guerilla, will Horizon Zero Dawn support FOV slider so I can set the how much of the world I can see at one time ? Kindly advise.

We will add several ways to customize your settings for Horizon Zero Dawn for PC. However, we feel that changing the FOV compromises the original Horizon Zero Dawn experience and visual style too much, so you will not be able to change this.

Well, the truth is the engine can't handle bigger FOVs.
source.gif
This is just frustum culling, basically every modern game does it.

Potato Canon

Novice
Most of the game is about killing robot dinosaurs. The story is silly because it has to come up with some ridiculous reason to justify robot dinosaurs, so that there can be bloodless kid-friendly combat. I'd still play it again on PC if it were on sale, its certainly a well made game for what it is.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
But you have to kill lots of animals yes? I often prefer killing people than animals. (Ehh...in games, totally).
You mostly fight machines, but there are also human enemies (bandits, evil cult). Also, there is regular animal hunting (boars, rabbits, trurkeys, etc.) for meat and crafting materials.

Ulysa

Scholar
There no animals in the game. There are if you count human as thinking animal.

Most of the game is about killing robot dinosaurs. The story is silly because it has to come up with some ridiculous reason to justify robot dinosaurs, so that there can be bloodless kid-friendly combat. I'd still play it again on PC if it were on sale, its certainly a well made game for what it is.

You mostly fight machines, but there are also human enemies (bandits, evil cult). Also, there is regular animal hunting (boars, rabbits, trurkeys, etc.) for meat and crafting materials.

Interesting. Thanks all. :salute:

ADL

Prophet
Adding onto what everyone else has said, it's an extremely competent Ubisoft-style open world circa early 2017 before their games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey went full RPG with an exploration mode. I hope Forbidden West gets an exploration mode and delves deeper into the RPG mechanics because going back to the old Ubisoft style is a drag.

ADL

Prophet
No DLSS? They implemented it for Death Stranding, why not here?
Probably something to do with this. They have a partnership with AMD which as of this post doesn't have a DLSS2.0 equivalent. FidelityFX is basically a really nice adaptive sharpening tool while DLSS2.0 is machine learning-based AI tech wizardry shit that makes your $250 GPUs run games at 4K/60FPS somehow.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/...horizon-zero-dawn-with-ryzen-3000-processors/

Death Stranding has an nvidia partnership
gLfXlUU.jpg

ADL

Prophet
Doesn't Valve ban people for exploiting regional pricing by changing their currency and VPNing into the store? Seems like a problem that would have quickly corrected itself.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I played this for an hour today on PS4. Full of terribly awkward exposition (PoE intro>H:ZD intro by far, decline of Gonzalez), beta men and alpha women, and the framerate is noticeably bad but that's the hardware for you. So far not impressed. :rpgcodex:

Yosharian

Arcane
I played this for an hour today on PS4. Full of terribly awkward exposition (PoE intro>H:ZD intro by far, decline of Gonzalez), beta men and alpha women, and the framerate is noticeably bad but that's the hardware for you. So far not impressed. :rpgcodex:
Please write more when you play further in, I'm curious

sullynathan

Arcane
Why don't you have a pro?

Reader

Scholar
Why don't you have a pro?
I have. This piece of shit heats af. One of the reasons - no vsync. Plus i was lucky to get model with the worst fan. It's jetting almost all the time. Especially in some menus where this garbage tries to give you 500+ fps.
And i thought that 3do was not very good purchase.

As for HZD - it's very boring. If you looked at it and thought "hmm is it kinda like assassin's creed", yes it is. Maaaybe a little better. In comparison. The best thing is sound. That's it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom