Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games without which everything would be different

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
F7I74kS.png

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Whats wrong with CTF in Quake 3, UT99 and (aforementioned) Tribes? "Only retards like CTF" sounds like someone ripped you a new asshole

negator2vc

Scholar
King's Quest - The birth of the graphic adventure game
UFO: Enemy Unknown
- turn based combat, mission based tactics
Baldur's Gate 1 - CRPG!
Diablo 2 - defined the action-rpg, random item stats, ...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
UFO: Enemy Unknown - turn based combat, mission based tactics

Except UFO: Enemy Unknown is the direct progression of Gollop's former works, namely Laser Squad (1988) and the Rebelstar series (1984-1988). Those games only featured "in-field" combat scenarios however, and not the global strategy/base management aspects of UFO.

negator2vc

Scholar
Except UFO: Enemy Unknown is the direct progression of Gollop's former works, namely Laser Squad (1988) and the Rebelstar series (1984-1988). Those games only featured "in-field" combat scenarios however, and not the global strategy/base management aspects of UFO.

The reason I mentioned UFO: Enemy Unknown instead of the previous entries of Gollop work is the in UFO the whole formula has been perfected. In fact I consider both entries to be UFO v0.5.
The UFO and its sequels are the series that defined and shaped the turn based strategy/tactics genre.
Even better check the list with the top 100 games that was made a few months ago and check where the UFO: Enemy Unknown stand!

Update:
Here is the rpgcodex list I am talking about
https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=11398

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Quake 3 Arena - steered a generation of shooters in the mp direction. I remember that lack of sp campaign was a major criticism when it came out and Q3 considered decline overall.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Q3 when judged as a Quake entry is decline.

But if you judge it as the multiplayer romp it was designed as, it was incline due to its immensely sexy gameplay.

Then again every Quake was decline after Quake 1 if you ask me.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, considering that Quake 2 is named Quake because whatever name they wanted was already trademarked and they just continued the trend with Quake 3, then yeah the only Quake is Quake 1.

On the other hand, Quake was originally supposed to be some sort of persistent open world fantasy RPG, so perhaps no Quake is truly Quake :-P

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I liked how fast Q3 was but I only really used it to play a remake of QWTF. And a bit of multiplayer. Around that time I played a lot of Unreal Tournament.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
QuakeWorld Team Fortress, amazing. It is Team Fortress 2 people know today, but done first and done better, in the 1990s. And not cartoonish, and not monetized at all. So way better. I miss it, it was kind of the last FPS I cared about.
I'm with you there. I lived and breathed QWTF - it was great even on dial up. Played a lot but wasn't a fan of TFC, nor was I a fan of Tribes.

Some people think that Dune 2 was the first RTS, some point at Herzog Zwei but it's all bullshit.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Nether Eearth!

Red Faction, since its release date every fpp shooter has highly destructible evironment!

Well, not really:negative:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
ValeVelKal TIL the first 3D fps was Maze War and it came out in 1973 (!)
I did not know there was "combat" in Maze War so interesting, but Maze War is more the ancestor of a blobber than to a FPS. I mean, if Maze War is a FPS, so is Dungeon Master or Lands of Lore. There is no discrete movement, no apparent weapon, no targetting, ...

Marathon is the first remembered FPS, and yes you found out the totally forgotten Hovertank 3D (which I had never heard about). Maybe one could accept Battletank (1980) as the ancestor to Hovertank 3D, so a lineage of the FPS up to 1980 ?

Last edited:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
The virgin RPGCodex newfag who tries to fit in:

"Fallout was the first actual RPG that has C&C and non-fantasy setting, blahblahblah, I recently played Fallout 1 yesterday and it totally changed my life, made me grow chest hair and allows me to finally have sex this morning."

The chad RPGCodex ex-admin:

Fallout single-handedly created the Russian shovelware market of cheap Fallout clones.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron

The reason I mentioned UFO: Enemy Unknown instead of the previous entries of Gollop work is the in UFO the whole formula has been perfected. In fact I consider both entries to be UFO v0.5.
The UFO and its sequels are the series that defined and shaped the turn based strategy/tactics genre.

I'm the kind of berk who likes to know where we're coming from to see where we're going, which is why I felt Gollop's prior works needed to be mentioned, especially since you singled out the Geoscape aspect of UFO. The Geoscape aspect (when compared to Laser Squad) only needed one extra element to reach near-perfect status: Random terrain. (Sadly they dropped the two-player mode. :( ) But that alone would only have created a good game, what made UFO great is the addition of the global strategy/base management aspects. It scored so highly on the Top 100-list because it's a hybrid where the sum of its parts is greater than each part individually.

And as for your last statement, Jagged Alliance (2) would like a word with you out back. ;)

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
In the domain of action games I remember these fuckers were pretty hard

latest

ps1_ninja_shadow_of_darkness_p_e4z4py.jpg

Tenchu_Stealth_Assassins.jpg

Rotkboxart2.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom