Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial BioWare's level designers don't just design levels

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare

Update on the BioWare blog: <a href="http://blog.bioware.com/2009/01/28/the-trials-and-tribulations-of-being-a-level-designer-p1/">The Trials and Tribulations of Being a Level Designer</a>. Here's a snip:
<br>
<blockquote>There are other trials – the tools not working or slow, the builds that break everything, the oxen that refuse, no matter what you do, to walk across the damnable swamp. (It turned out – EVENTUALLY – that the particular ox in question did not actually HAVE the walking animation I was trying to script. But how’s a poor girl to know that oxen only walk in a particular manner? No trotting for oxen, it seems.)
<br>
<br>
But the real joy of my job is that, if I wait long enough, I get to do everything, at least a little bit. Level designers are at the hub of every part of the game, and thus they get feedback on all those parts, and sometimes even get to dig in and get their hands dirty in them.
<br>
<br>
Don’t like the way a particular character looks? Back in the old days, it was just a matter of pleading with an artist until they changed it. (When I tried to get C**** to be a little prettier, the artist looked so hurt I thought perhaps he’d modeled the character on himself). But now, I can go in and make my own head to show them what I was thinking of.
<br>
[...]
<br>
And then there’s the end-run before release, where only a chosen few are even allowed access to the toolset, and all you can do is playtest for weeks on end, sending bugs and, if you’re lucky, finding bugs that only you can fix. Actually, that’s a lot of fun – you get to play with the near-completed version of the game. I think I played Jade Empire more than anyone who wasn’t QA.</blockquote>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">Some Website or Another</a>

Morbus

Scholar
Sounds like a very boring job. Playing Jade Empire for weeks?! NO WAY!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
SOUNDS AWESOME!

Sure beats those SOZZY games that the Codex likes.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
It just shows how superficial women are. Making the portrait prettier? Wtf? Gay? Lets just go along the lines and make em all look like Barbie... For fucks sake, if thats the people they hire, then good night.

:declineofthebioware: since 2002

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom