Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Mortmal

Arcane
I am guessing all the other gems could be sold safely but nobody got far enough to let us know.
The red gem you get from the skeleton can be sold, but the journal says you need it for a quest. It didn't fail the quest when I accidentally sold it, but I think I'll keep it. I think you get at least one emerald that's worth around 600 gold.

For me, the game might as well end as soon as you get to the sewer, though, since I can't handle the mimics nor the goblins. Got any pro-tips for that? Maybe some way to get around 7k party XP and a boatload of gold before getting there?
Already say it, dont accept the quest from the goblin at gate, cross the chams and side with green goblins, then flee west . They will do all the work for you and you get the XP. oh and itq getting lot lot worse after that.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I maxmaxed my party of 6 human females with Cheat Engine (all 18s)
How did you locate the address to change stats?
I just noticed I fucked up by leaving my whole party 1 dexterity short for combat reflexes and I don't want to spend a couple hours rolling stats and catching up

By running CE during stat rolls, and narrowing down the individual stats by their changing values during rolls. I have no idea how to locate them during gameplay.

Get your token pack here

Made with public domain art by John Bauer, Ivan Bilibin, Frank Cadogan Cowper, Fedir Krychevsky, N.C. Wyeth, W. A. Bouguereau, Byam Shaw, Theodor Kittelsen, and Konstantin Vasiliev.
There's a 64 and a 256px folder, the latter in case it might be of use in the future. Take the files on the folder named 64 and paste them on C:\Knights of the Chalice 2\Graphics\Tokens\PlayerCharacter

They all have a golden border to distinguish them from NPCs, made using the site recommended by Dickie

edit with samples:
token-1.png
token-5.png
token-12.png

token-19.png
token-29.png
token-39.png

JKmB98T.png

:salute:

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I am guessing all the other gems could be sold safely but nobody got far enough to let us know.
The red gem you get from the skeleton can be sold, but the journal says you need it for a quest. It didn't fail the quest when I accidentally sold it, but I think I'll keep it. I think you get at least one emerald that's worth around 600 gold.

For me, the game might as well end as soon as you get to the sewer, though, since I can't handle the mimics nor the goblins. Got any pro-tips for that? Maybe some way to get around 7k party XP and a boatload of gold before getting there?

After getting past the group of centipedes you can convince the first group of monsters (kobolds?) to not attack with multiple skill checks. Then you should go South and there is a Grey Goblin who’s guarding a Portcullis. Talk to him and tell him you will fight the Green Goblins and you’ll get extra XP and rewards from the Goblin fight.

Next, talk to the flying thing by the pit and have it transport you across the pit. (You can actually jump across the pit with a Fighter, but I think it’s bugged because the Goblin dialogue doesn’t trigger for me when I jump.) Once you are across the pit, the Goblins should each try to convince you to join them. Pick whichever group, but you get extra XP if you talked to the Gate Guard beforehand and you join the Grey Goblins. And then the battle begins.

Perhaps I was just lucky, but they raped my party at first, and I had two characters left, each with 1 HP and I just moved them around the map while the goblins attacked each other. In my case, the Grey Goblins absolutely destroyed the Green ones. However, there were only 7 goblins left alive at the end of it, which meant my XP reward was lower than it could have been. Didn’t matter to me because that fight was long and I was not doing it again.
I know how to get past the rat dudes and to the goblins, but the goblins either throw fireballs at all my guys before they can move if I side with the grays or the use energy cone if I side with the greens and massacre my dudes that way. If I say "fuck you all," they just do both of those things. What level are your guys and did you turn off fast AI? Maybe it's the slow AI that's wrecking me in every single battle.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Already say it, dont accept the quest from the goblin at gate, cross the chams and side with green goblins, then flee west . They will do all the work for you and you get the XP. oh and itq getting lot lot worse after that.
The grays just kill me so fast with energy cone. Then again, I guess I just need one guy conscious to do this plan. Maybe it'll work...

Mortmal

Arcane

After getting past the group of centipedes you can convince the first group of monsters (kobolds?) to not attack with multiple skill checks. Then you should go South and there is a Grey Goblin who’s guarding a Portcullis. Talk to him and tell him you will fight the Green Goblins and you’ll get extra XP and rewards from the Goblin fight.

Next, talk to the flying thing by the pit and have it transport you across the pit. (You can actually jump across the pit with a Fighter, but I think it’s bugged because the Goblin dialogue doesn’t trigger for me when I jump.) Once you are across the pit, the Goblins should each try to convince you to join them. Pick whichever group, but you get extra XP if you talked to the Gate Guard beforehand and you join the Grey Goblins. And then the battle begins.

Perhaps I was just lucky, but they raped my party at first, and I had two characters left, each with 1 HP and I just moved them around the map while the goblins attacked each other. In my case, the Grey Goblins absolutely destroyed the Green ones. However, there were only 7 goblins left alive at the end of it, which meant my XP reward was lower than it could have been. Didn’t matter to me because that fight was long and I was not doing it again.
I know how to get past the rat dudes and to the goblins, but the goblins either throw fireballs at all my guys before they can move if I side with the grays or the use energy cone if I side with the greens and massacre my dudes that way. If I say "fuck you all," they just do both of those things. What level are your guys and did you turn off fast AI? Maybe it's the slow AI that's wrecking me in every single battle.
You need improved iniative feats , or savescum till you can flee first round.Maybe i got lucky but wasnt AOE first round. I fear it often comes to luck.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I assume that's a bard. I really like my bard. +2 damage for everybody is great when you get your weapons taken away and that healing song is better than the heals of the cleric at level 1-2. Having a death knight at level 3 for the aura of dread giving -1 to AC and saves, which goes very nicely with +1 atk or +1 to spell DCs from the bard, helps a lot when my guys actually get a turn.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
You need improved iniative feats , or savescum till you can flee first round.Maybe i got lucky but wasnt AOE first round. I fear it often comes to luck.
I have improved initiative on some of my guys, but I guess I should take it on everyone, so I don't have to reload as much. Apparently, the game gets even worse after that fight, so maybe I should just make my own module with blackjack and hookers.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Improved initiative was the very first thing I got on my guys, period. I played KotC, I know how this works.

Have to say Gladiator is a pretty good class, mine seems to clean up the field nicely. Not so sure how I feel about Samurais yet.

Mortmal

Arcane
I have improved initiative on some of my guys, but I guess I should take it on everyone, so I don't have to reload as much. Apparently, the game gets even worse after that fight, so maybe I should just make my own module with blackjack and hookers.
100X worse, i had no trouble with goblins or centipedes nor the fights before except cultist boss fight, then i am completely stuck by the end. Fighting a level 18 golem still hitting my AC30 mantis, and draining xp , surounded by greater gelatinous cube, who not only can swallow whole but destroy your equipment too. Thats madness and not in a good way. I somewhat had mild success by running out webbing them with rogue tripping the golem with grease, but need to be extremely lucky with rolls to manage that, or a completely different party setup full casters and throwing summons maybe , but then how do i bring there a group of squishies ,they wont go through previous fights...

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
100X worse, i had no trouble with goblins or centipedes nor the fights before except cultist boss fight, then i am completely stuck by the end. Fighting a level 18 golem still hitting my AC30 mantis, and draining xp , surounded by greater gelatinous cube, who not only can swallow whole but destroy your equipment too. Thats madness and not in a good way. I somewhat had mild success by running out webbing them with rogue tripping the golem with grease, but need to be extremely lucky with rolls to manage that, or a completely different party setup full casters and throwing summons maybe , but then how do i bring there a group of squishies ,they wont go through previous fights...
Is Pierre fucking with everybody? Has he mentioned that he plans to rebalance this shit at all? Maybe it's his way of forcing us all to try the editor to make his module sane.

This will be a disaster when he releases on Steam. If people who bought Age of Decadence thought combat was hard enough to leave bad reviews, this will get demolished.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Managed to run it finally!

I hope that after reading through the docs, learning the system and planning my party, that is, in November, the game will be kinda patched? For now it seems, at least to me, that full screen is bugged...

Ragniz

Novice
I maxmaxed my party of 6 human females with Cheat Engine (all 18s)
How did you locate the address to change stats?
I just noticed I fucked up by leaving my whole party 1 dexterity short for combat reflexes and I don't want to spend a couple hours rolling stats and catching up

By running CE during stat rolls, and narrowing down the individual stats by their changing values during rolls. I have no idea how to locate them during gameplay.
a
I've tried locating the stat addresses adding elixirs of dexterity with the map editor but it didn't work either, I guess you can only edit your stats with CE at character creation.
In the end I just made a custom elixir of +1 dexterity with the map editor and called it a day.

Mortmal

Arcane
Is Pierre fucking with everybody? Has he mentioned that he plans to rebalance this shit at all? Maybe it's his way of forcing us all to try the editor to make his module sane.

This will be a disaster when he releases on Steam. If people who bought Age of Decadence thought combat was hard enough to leave bad reviews, this will get demolished.
Finally made it, ran out of room activated potions of greater heroism on fighters and mass protection against remove ability , grease on the way to block path, bard song to enhance AC . Killed the cubes one by one, then finally the barbarian manages to land enough hit on the golem . So many misses, its really luck i did it.
AOD is indeed kinder garden compare to this. There's no way pierre can release this on steam.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Maybe playing on easy mode will make this thing tolerable. Guess I'll find out in a few months.

No. All easy mode does is reduce enemy damage and increase yours. But it also decreases XP gained...

It does nothing to enemy levels, spell pools, AC, saves, etc. It only modifies raw damage. And raw damage isn't usually the reason you get wiped out, it's area effect disabling spells like web or stinking cloud, or the fact that some enemies drain your stats on hit, or are impervious to some of your spells/abilities (like flying units not being affected by grease and web). Which means that playing on easy paradoxically makes the game harder in the long run.

bataille

Arcane
Has anyone calculated the CR of some of these encounters? I know it's not strictly indicative of the difficulty, but I'm still morbidly curious.

Mortmal

Arcane
Chapter 3 finally ! Exhausted after an impossible fight ? Ran out of ressources , one party member dead ? Meet an army of high level cultist and the lieutenant you killed again...
Want to rest before that ? Oh no, no pierre wont allow that ! There's a gargantuan croc between you and the goblin camp to rest now, spawned jsut for you . Killed the croc ? It trigger waves of encounter, vampiric slimes, psi beetle shooting my barbarian for 90 hp in a blast. Luckily the green goblins are still there and joining the fight.
CR is root based, its beyond mortal minds to measure.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The metal soundtrack really fits, despite this being a turn based game. It's hardcore to the max.

I've been playing CRPGs for over 20 years now. I've played most of the 80s and 90s classics, as well as plenty of newer games from the 00s and 10s. I've played niche and mainstream games. Indies and AAAs. Even some horribly balanced shovelwares.

In all those years and across the hundreds of games I played, none has been as hard as KotC 2.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Has anyone calculated the CR of some of these encounters? I know it's not strictly indicative of the difficulty, but I'm still morbidly curious.
When you finish an encounter, it tells you the CR. The only one I remember is the centipedes with a CR of 6, and your party is a mix of level 2 and level 3 guys with no equipment because you lost all your equipment before this fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom