Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Helherron - a very addictive Nahlakh-like game

mercyRPG

Cipher

Thats not funny :' (

5VxqXUZ.png

Bone cladded clubber get into the way (previous turn), but kobold archer dont care. He only want to shoot down our fat, nurse chick, whatever it takes.

Now the system caluclate if arrow stop on clubber or not.

Much fun. You dont even need to kill enemies anymore, they do it themselves.[/QUOTE]

ADDED as a new feature request. Thank You for Your Contribution!

Ahaa!! So XCOM: UFO DEFENSE style combat, tracking projectiles on the battlefield and if they hit any obstacle.. - but for now let's just say meaty-obstacles, since rocks, trees and props on the Battlescape might not have been indexed as destructibles - then stop projectile travel and score a HIT!

HAH! Great idea! :D I'll pitch your post to MegaBoss Antti!
See what happens...

Also, since we are speaking of fumbles, I want it logged in the combat log window that enemies made hilarious misses and even wounded themselves in combat, some mages miscasting their spells, which end up exploding on their heads: FATAL CASTING FAILURE! [in combat log] or some more fun message. Enemies wielding formidable two-handed swords accidentally hitting their own feet, enemy archers fumbling with arrows which end up in their eyes, etc..
Added this request as a new feature too. We'll see if its realizable, would be fun probably. :)

Last edited:

Lagi

Savant
I check briefly your and Antii twitter.

I hope the "brain" is working low-key, because I see no updates (last screen from 18). :(

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Where art thou evil rasta? You made just two posts, both about this game 16 years ago, then never posted again. Last logged in 2 months after making this thread. Probably to check of anyone cared. People did care even if it took them three years to notice the thread. I mean 16 years later and its still being posted in.

Where are you now dude? Are you alive, dead, posting here under a different username? So many questions.

mercyRPG

Cipher
I check briefly your and Antii twitter.

I hope the "brain" is working low-key, because I see no updates (last screen from 18). :(

Join the club of long waits and no updates, like many games have, especially my favorite Griftlands, which for years lay dormant, then on 16 Jul, 2019 it got an update, then the next life-sign was this year June 4 "Early Access is Coming June 15th!", then thankfully updates started up.

Game development is a long slog in a Swamp of Despair, which is in Hell [on Earth].

Maybe if you like Shadowrun Hong Kong Extended and you are older and hate glasses, you might wanna try my other works? Maybe like the Battle Brothers big font mod:
Had to hack the fonts myself to be displayed larger in this game as well..

Last edited:

Lagi

Savant
Join the club of long waits and no updates, like many games have, especially my favorite Griftlands, which for years lay dormant, then on 16 Jul, 2019 it got an update, then the next life-sign was this year June 4 "Early Access is Coming June 15th!", then thankfully updates started up.

Game development is a long slog in a Swamp of Despair, which is in Hell [on Earth].

Maybe if you like Shadowrun Hong Kong Extended and you are older and hate glasses, you might wanna try my other works? Maybe like the Battle Brothers big font mod:
Had to hack the fonts myself to be displayed larger in this game as well..

Im not interested in nu-story-rpg.

Tell Antii that if he think Helherron is great retirement plan (to milk more money after years of inflation, when he would be unable to work) - he is wrong. His fan-base customers will all die before.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I don't care about graphics updates. If I cared about graphics I wouldn't be playing Helherron. There were some good suggestions on things that should have been fixed or added in this thread when I played it a few years back. I want to see a post from Antii saying what he's doing with the game.

Lagi

Savant
the old abusable system, that has steep learning curve, and require 2x game study, just to make none cripple party, with lots of non-viable choices (race-class combination), dont forget the obligatory dedication to invest every single exp point from start to end in single combat skill...

... yeah it has it charm. But I dont mind if it become little less old-school inba, and more streamline.
:littlemissfun:

mercyRPG

Cipher
The entire speed-system was reworked regards how fast is your turn again. I tried it out by quickly making an unoptimized full-soldier party with zero re-rolls: I loved it, how the new system worked - very gritty and properly "bone-grinding" for me - and how my soldiers died one by one in the first goblin dungeon, like little Indians. Amazing! I love drama and death SCREAMS!! Since that superb-fantastic death-scream-chorus the sectoids produce, when I grenade them in XCOM: UFO DEFENSE.
Other combat elements got an upgrade too. I saw lots of AI updates for various monster races and frequent reworkings of magical states, like invisibility, etc..

When veteran strategists started to mention in-depth problems with combat as they performed expert analysis, I gave up.. :-o I never thought those could be problems in this game. :-o I told them I just love to go in and smash everything Hulk-like or burn-disintegrate every enemy with strong attack spells in a full-frontal assault.
I never imagined, some people would have such high standards regards Elite Battle Tactics. :-o

I have no problems being stupid. :D Its such a simple life, I have much less worries than intelligent people. :)

Anyway, I wish everything sensible that all of you requested in this thread would be as easy as slowly nearing to the finish-line with this very last race image, the Golem..
I mean, I can always shrug and claim ineptness in the future: "This is the best I can do", when people will seriously start to criticize the final graphics on Steam. :D :oops:

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Sure! I think we also should add The Ambulance Car-feature that comes in and very nimble, nubile and sexy nurses disembark from the vehicle and tend to your wounds with beaming smiles and giggles!
This would be p. cool as a game over screen.

mercyRPG

Cipher
UPDATE!

Don't miss any updates, since these will be your only chances to see separate parts of the screen-size art. On the final screen everything will be obscured by fire, black smoke, mists and the massive mayhem / action / magic effects, heroes, shadows, etc..

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I am diligently collating all the requests and wishes in this forum into a nicely organized database, where every idea and plea will have its own category. Thank You for your amazing feedback in this thread!

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Best pickpocketing targets are merchants you just gave a lot of coin to. Literal five finger discount on all purchases. Three digits worth.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I finally completed the game, had ton of fun.

Random thoughts from bad to good, IHMO :

The single thing I hate about the game is the way you gain xp, by performing any action. That this can be a thing has always been beyond me, that's utter unsatisfying and does prevent you from playing fights just the way you want, one way or another, xp from kills or from related objectives, you should gain higher xp from more difficult places. Trying to open the door in the last dungeon would make the game crash, so I needed to farm Gate Travel scrolls and wands from merchants, also there's at least one more case of crash (when trying to take high level gladiators in the arena). I hated how mass dispelling would not affect your default characters so it does not cure charm and even at the opposite would cure your charmed enemies from the effect. Finally a mercenary archer who would get an enemy close to him would change his weapon, the problem is that he would never switch back to his bow. Don't get it wrong if you've not played the game, these are not big deals.

Equipment is just a big mess of random + to stats (even unique items to some extent), all items really feel generic and the roster of effects is not really impressive to begin with but anyway I would rather have found each effect once on some unique item. Hell is possibly the single worst dungeon in the game, one has to be but that and the bugged doors in the castle just before it make the ending parts kind of terrible, they are a tiny bit of the game so it's alright.

Fight wolfs, wolfmen, warrior wolfmen, archer wolfmen than spell caster wolfmen then reach the library, the ceremonial room and the boss, replace wolf with some other animal or wolfman by a variation of goblins, orcs, ogres, ... and you get more than half of the dungeons of the game. Fortunately it's not all the dungeons and it's caricatural, the spellcasters won't launch the same spells, there is some thoughts put into layouts, some special places, creatures and other encounters than these only ones. The game is only encounters, containers and hidden doors, that's fine, what I want to say is just that it's normal that it's hard to have a lot of variation. I think there's still some welcome difference between a temple, a castle and a cave. In each dungeon there's an emphasis put into encounters be at least slightly different, there are still a lot of not exactly unique ones and the different caves do contain similar patterns so I would not go as far as calling the encounters very varied but it's because the game is very big, not because there's no content. There's nothing really interesting to choose at level-up, you really make your choices at creation, and that's fine. Fights are tactics, and finding a strategy which works is cool, but I would not say I changed my strategy a lot during the game. Finally I realised near the end that crafting equipment much better than what I wore was far too cheap for my taste, granted you have a merchant to sell junk that is, after crafting equipment I breezed through the ending parts of the game, and that was not the most fun part, especially since an easy encounter can take some time, the strength of the game not being in the speed but rather in the large amount of encounters which can challenge you at least at some point, I am glad I only figured out that at the end.

The presentation is good, it's clean and just good enough and with just enough variety that it's not boring. The spell roster is good enough too, what you'd expect is there, and I like choosing the level to cast a spell. The AI is very fun to play against, not specially aggressive (3 archers could easily kill your mage in one turn, fortunately they don't) but rather big groups of enemies you need to apprehend, if one thing the enemies could maybe have a special behaviour towards summons or towards their charmed friends, but that's alright.

And finally for the best points, including some fundamental ones. The game is a traditional RPG with a P&P inspired system. Full keyboard controls are good, combat is top down with squares and bump in melee, you can't go better than that. You create a big party of 8 characters (+ AI-controlled mercenaries if you wish) and there's a good choice of races and especially classes. The game offers a big handcrafted world full of big dungeons of various difficulties, and the geographic distribution of the difficulty of the encounters is very good, harder dungeons as you get further from the start but not exactly, a progression inside a dungeon which would make you sometimes do the beginning then either get back later for the end or eventually use your wand towards the end but not always, and sometimes contain a one shot hard encounters or a small hard zone, against sharks or something, that's just perfect. The progression of characters and their equipment is very on point and satisfying, it's really one of the bigger strenghts of the game and the amount of challenging encounters is great. You have to do with your limited MPs (and HPs) for a fight and there's definitely large scale resource management, healing herbs and magic improvement mushrooms are not infinite and recharging wands is not cheap. Besides finding a new strong wand especially is very satisfying, in the beginning of the game it's really what made some parts go from hard to approachable, finding a book for a strong spell is too.

In case you've not played the game it's a very big one, I am almost sure I spent quite more than 100 hours on it. What's certain is that the game is a no brainer for people who like big, open-world, combat-focused games, it's at very least among the best of this kind and among the best RPGs at all as far as I'm concerned.

My 2 cents.

mercyRPG

Cipher
Update:
Priestess' staff is done. Now she can generate the 'Protection from Evil' sphere (looks like an energy shield), which will react with the lightning bolt spell the fairy is charging up. Now I can do their final looks. Then put the dwarf before them as a tank / guard. When that is done, the golem remains on the right.

mercyRPG

Cipher
UPDATE!
Only the golem remains now. The last hero actor on the title screen to be posed from his idly standing pose on the race selection screen ==> into an attack pose on the title screen with the two handed large sword in his hands.
Then the title screen will be assembled to its final form. Sort of like an AAA RPG poster..
Then I'll do the main menu, so it can be interacted with in the style of the legendary 'DOOM 1 menu selection "action"'.

wazles

Barely Literate
Has anyone got a complete save for the latest version of the game? Just reinstalled and want to try solo mode.

mercyRPG

Cipher
MOD ENTHUSIASTS REJOICE

Looks like the game will be moddable:
1. Mapeditor available.
2. Spell FX editor available
3. Data files, JSON and LUA available, so what isn't hardcoded, can be edited: dialoges, shop inventory, spells appearance and effect, monsters + enemy NPCs and their magic items, NPCs in villages => their loadout, stats, etc...
4. All game graphics will be moddable
5. All game sound effects and music will be moddable

You can essentially create a Total Conversion by simply changing all existing missions and dungeons. Probably you can edit villages layout too.

NEW MISSIONS:
1. New missions however will need a mission editor - this will have to be created in the future - , which future depends on Steam sales:
If many people will request it and we'll have excellent sales, then this will probably mean a mission editor.

2. Same with new spells

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom