Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Really Obscure RPGs

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Has anyone ever given either of these a shot? They're Amiga clones of Ultima Underworld. I'm going to go in, but it'd be nice if I had some idea of what I was getting myself into.
https://www.mobygames.com/game-group/trapped-series

Download link pls.
First game: https://www.old-games.com/download/986/trapped-aga (site's slow as balls, but for the size it isn't bad)
Second one's only on Internet Archive's TOSEC collection. I can't direct link that, so you'll have to comb through the list yourself. There's a CD on Emuparadise if you want that, might have copy protection.
Is there a good guide for installing AmigaOS or whatever in an emulator? This is the first time I've been hamstrung by this.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
There are some bizarre games in this thread but the most outlandish thing I've seen so far page for "Role-playing computer games:
Example of kawaii art. "Cute" art such as this is unpopular with some players.
Husky-Chibi.jpeg

Also is 7th Stand User OK for this thread or is it not obscure enough?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Nope, there's only the Amiga version. Or if there is I know of no sites that have it. I think the Company version they link is a frontend, don't know for certain, the installers have never worked for me.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You don't need an emulator to run it, but some Windows update(s) seems to have broken it.
Nice thread here on the Codex.

Another obscure CRPG (or is it still a JRPG even though it's a Windows game?) is Wizardry Chronicles, released by Microsoft in Japan for the PC in 2001. Sold poorly and quickly faded into obscurity, but apparantly it was one of the easier Japanese games to translate.
Very little information about it (no manual), but there is an English translation.
No anime artwork, so I decided to give it a try, and I'm currently trying to find out what characters I can create, since the stats and aligment restrictions is as far as I can gather undocumented in English.
You can have six characters, there's five races (four of them untradional) and at least seven classes you can start as.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Found a compilation of several King's Field fan games up for download:

https://www.legendsworld.net/site/download.php?mirror=10317

For context: King's Field is a series of first person RPGs in the style of Ultima Underworld, made for Playstation 1 by From Software, the company better known for the Souls series. In 2000 they released a PC version of KF1 along with a level editor, and there were a few fan games made with that editor. Some of the download links for those have since gone dead, but someone at legendsworld uploaded a collection of the major user-made KF games.

Some gameplay footage of the first ever fan-made KF game, Diadem of Maunstraut:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Oh shit, I had the memories of playing that game on the PSX and never managed to find what it was (and didn't know how to describe it in order to find any help), I thought I'd never find out! Gonna get a rom to play it again, though it probably sucks.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Oh shit, I had the memories of playing that game on the PSX and never managed to find what it was (and didn't know how to describe it in order to find any help), I thought I'd never find out! Gonna get a rom to play it again, though it probably sucks.

The download I posted is for PC, I think it also includes the original King's Field that was on PSX. It also includes a fan-made remake of King's Field 2.

Controls are a bit shit though.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I need to ask if this is strictly emulation

http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/09/evils-doom-incredible-rpg-dungeon.html?m=1

or is there a pc version. I'm guessing just A1200 though naturally I was hoping it'd just be a pc frontend loader rather than use a emulator.

1289001368-Evils_Doom-5.jpg
So I'm trying the The Company (classic amiga) exe version and damn I didn't expect it to work on win10. I just want to get into a damn dungeon and combat but im running all over the island map doing conversations. I did pick up a wizard that wanted to toadify me. I need the game manual.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Blarg!! Is there a fucking dungeon or do i just chat to people like a crappy VN?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I watched a bit of play and the dude finally got into a dungeon. Jesus the amount of blather you have to go through.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/weird-wars-the-unknown-episode-of-world-war-ii-dxs

So I tried to find an English version of this somewhere but all the abandonware sites only have Polish, Russian or French.
I did manage to find a boxed German version on Amazon though, with only 2 left in stock. So I bought it! It arrived today, fresh sealed copy.

Making an ISO from the DVD now.

From what I've read about this game, it seems to me you've taken a bullet for our team. A noble sacrifice, hope the game's fun, despite the reviews!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/weird-wars-the-unknown-episode-of-world-war-ii-dxs

So I tried to find an English version of this somewhere but all the abandonware sites only have Polish, Russian or French.
I did manage to find a boxed German version on Amazon though, with only 2 left in stock. So I bought it! It arrived today, fresh sealed copy.

Making an ISO from the DVD now.

From what I've read about this game, it seems to me you've taken a bullet for our team. A noble sacrifice, hope the game's fun, despite the reviews!

Fully expecting it to be shit (I played "Another War" before, an earlier game by the same devs, and it was eeeeeeh) but I had to buy it just for the sake of uploading the German version somewhere. I never uploaded to myabandonware.com so if you or anyone else here has an account there, feel free to reupload it there!

The more I research it, though, the more I become convinced there never was an English version. All the reviews linked on mobygames are French or German, and the English title is referred to as a "working title". So if you're a westerner, you better hope to speak German or French if you want to play this.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Seems to me like Polish and Russian games were sometimes published in weird language combinations. Like Goldenland 2 only released in Russian, Czech and... Spanish. It's very propable there was no English release of Weird War.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
I played a bit of the French version, guess I forgot to come back with comments. The combat's shit, there are some bugs (for example I couldn't trigger a door to open; had to quit, launch again and then it worked), and the humour... I'm sure it must be somewhere around there. Ultimately it failed to grab me and I found myself lacking in motivation to get back to it. Still, interested to hear JF's take.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom