Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Delays are a good thing. I don't see why anyone would complain about delays unless they are retarded. I don't think it's going to be a bad game but I don't think it's going to be great either. It will however be the most degenerate game ever made. Even more degenerate than The Last of Us 2.

I wasn't complaining about the delay, just making an observation that a generation of instant-gratification fuckwits have a lot of patience, at least for CD Projekt... Normally they complain when games are delayed more than once.

Rumor has it that the PS5 drops on 11/20, so this delay jibes with a PS5 day 1 game release.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wrote a post in the wrong topic, so I'll copy-paste it here:

tl;dr:

Interesting sci-fi setting, kind of like Deus Ex, but much worse (not bad, but far from DE quality)
Watch Dogs-like driving (generally bad, much worse than GTA) with extremely scripted and dead city except quest locations
inventory is terrible
hacking is mediocre
Combat is Borderlands-like with all its drawbacks (I criticized this kind of combat in The Outer Worlds quickie)
Melee is also rather meh
UI is Witcher 3-like
Quite cool memory-reading of NPC gameplay and quests (which feels often like adventure games)
Story and quests seem very interesting

Therefore, seems like Witchers - great story and quests, but gameplay is weak. The guy says it's mostly like science-fiction Witcher 2 (not 3, not 1, it's a game that tries hard to be western AAA title, but falls short).

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I love how there are already "leveling guides" for CP2077 on YT with 100ks of likes... where some dude spends 30 mins reading the origins out loud and giving fascinating tips like "it is better to focus on a stat then spreading your points"...
:negative:

Yosharian

Arcane
I love how there are already "leveling guides" for CP2077 on YT with 100ks of likes... where some dude spends 30 mins reading the origins out loud and giving fascinating tips like "it is better to focus on a stat then spreading your points"...
:negative:
Yeah haha I saw ESO's video titled "WATCH THIS BEFORE YOU BUILD YOUR CHARACTER" I'm like dude the game's not out yet

Bliblablubb

Arcane
The guy says it's mostly like science-fiction Witcher 2
Getting mixed feelings from that. Combat in TW2 was terrible, more rolling around than Fable. And quick time events. To suck up to the consoletards.
Story branching was of questionable quality as well. Roche's was great, but the other was... I only dragged myself through it for completionist reasons.
And the end area had tacked on pointless choices. Rescue Triss or not! Nah, she gets rescued anyway.
Half of the game felt like I missed an important dialog somewhere, or reading the books was mandatory.
The endboss tells me he saved Yen. Who was that again? Oh right, Geralt's "the love of his life (tm)". I thought that was Triss? No? Okay Letho, the game apparently wants me to let you go. Bye!

TW3 was such massive incline to that mess, please don't go back there CDPR. :(

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Getting mixed feelings from that. Combat in TW2 was terrible, more rolling around than Fable. And quick time events. To suck up to the consoletards.
Story branching was of questionable quality as well. Roche's was great, but the other was... I only dragged myself through it for completionist reasons.
And the end area had tacked on pointless choices. Rescue Triss or not! Nah, she gets rescued anyway.
Half of the game felt like I missed an important dialog somewhere, or reading the books was mandatory.
The endboss tells me he saved Yen. Who was that again? Oh right, Geralt's "the love of his life (tm)". I thought that was Triss? No? Okay Letho, the game apparently wants me to let you go. Bye!

Maybe Twitcher 3 team works on Twitcher 4? Or are they the very same people who made Twitcher 2? Honestly, I have no idea.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
After the video on what it is to be rich in Night City, now there is one about what it is to be poor. Very interesting, to see how the less fortunate blokes are doing:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

EcU0OvwWsAAXfIr
EcU0QT5XkAAvWVB
EcU0RrYWoAIO-yE

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
So did anyone mention this yet but there's going to be a lot whining even after the release

I thus hereby nonchalantly propose this qualifier for this dubious thread : "The Eternal Whine"

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I think those days we make a separate thread for when a game gets released.

Yosharian

Arcane

This seems odd, for example you can clearly fight Letho at the end yet you paint it as if the game is forcing you not to
Triss might get rescued but I'm pretty sure she's pissed off that you left her to die? Or something, I'm sure there's some kind of roleplaying consequence, maybe I'm remembering it wrong

As for rolling, from what I remember of TW2 rolling around like a fool wasn't a winning strategy but maybe I'm remembering it wrong. I seem to remember that well-timed parries were much more important

Also you gloss over the fact that the game fully splits in two for the mid section, an amazing thing for a game to do and something that's not been seen since

Yosharian

Arcane
Doesn't what's her face get her eyes gouged out by King I'm A Fucking Nutjob if you go for Triss?

And all these decisions are actually played out in the sequel as opposed to being retconned or whatever like Bioware did with ME/DA

Bliblablubb

Arcane
the game fully splits in two for the mid section, an amazing thing for a game to do and something that's not been seen since
I should probably have stopped here, since you are... a little biased towards TW2 it seems. But I had already typed all the rest before reading it, so...
Here's a list of games with storyline branching I quickly googled up. https://www.giantbomb.com/branching-story-line/3015-1646/games/ It even has the 'dex very own "Age of Decadence" in there. :obviously:
"But they did not split in the middle!!!!". Okay?

This seems odd, for example you can clearly fight Letho at the end yet you paint it as if the game is forcing you not to
Sure you can, that wasn't my point and I never claimed it. I said the game tries to guilt trip you with an event not in the game, with an important person for Geralt... that is not in the game. With no buildup at all. And if you really tried to "think as Geralt", you would let him go.
Triss might get rescued but I'm pretty sure she's pissed off that you left her to die? Or something, I'm sure there's some kind of roleplaying consequence, maybe I'm remembering it wrong
Philippa will always have her eyes removed. The Nilfgaardian ambassador and sorceress will never be mentioned again. Triss being pissed? No consequence, she boinks Geralt anyway next time as if nothing has happend. At best it "forces" you to replay the last part if you want the whole picture tho.
As for rolling, from what I remember of TW2 rolling around like a fool wasn't a winning strategy but maybe I'm remembering it wrong.
You don't remember all those enemies with tower shields? I envy you, I really do. Geralt can only parry one guy and enemies weren't exactly forming a queue.
Also you gloss over the fact that the game fully splits in two for the mid section
No I don't gloss over them splitting the story, I give them an "A" for effort. But am I not allowed to say that the Iorveth path was worse and boring to me? Well, I am sorry then?
If branching a story leads to a shittier alternative part, I'd prefer the development time to go into a longer linear story instead.
And all these decisions are actually played out in the sequel as opposed to being retconned or whatever like Bioware did with ME/DA
Okay now it's getting hillarious. If anything, TW3 did it EXACTLY the same way Bioware did it with ME. Because it's the only way you CAN do that economical sensible.
You let surviving NPCs have a few appearances, throw players some bones here and there. The only things that carry over into TW3 are asked of you during "imperial audience". Which is actually less than ME did.
Mostly it results in short cameos or a handful of extra dialog, Letho surviving is the only thing that actually gives you meaningful extra content.
Nice touch that by letting the the La Valette brat survive I prevented his poor maid getting a better life. Sad.

Yosharian

Arcane
I mean one of the games on that list is TOW, not sure what point you were trying to make there but it doesn't hold up

If you weren't arguing that the game was forcing you to let Letho go then you don't even have a coherent point to make. It's suggesting to you that Geralt might let him go canonically? That's purely subjective. And there's nothing even wrong with it even if it did do that, you still have full control.

It's true that some of the consequences don't 'matter' as such. I didn't realise that Philippa always got her eyes removed. Still, you can kill Sile De Tansarville for example.

It's possible I am not remembering the combat perfectly, as I said. Still, from my recollection I preferred it to TW3's.

Well I personally enjoyed both parts, I actually enjoyed the Iorveth path more, so this is just subjective.

Well if Sile dies no random mage turns up to take her place, so in one respect it's not as bad as, say, ME3. TW3 also doesn't make stuff happen that didn't happen, as far as I know, contrary to a certain NPC you can kill in DA1 who magically reappears in DA3.

Anyway I concede I remembered some things incorrectly, so you have more of a point that I previously thought.

typical user

Arbiter
tl;dr:

Interesting sci-fi setting, kind of like Deus Ex, but much worse (not bad, but far from DE quality)
Watch Dogs-like driving (generally bad, much worse than GTA) with extremely scripted and dead city except quest locations
inventory is terrible
hacking is mediocre
Combat is Borderlands-like with all its drawbacks (I criticized this kind of combat in The Outer Worlds quickie)
Melee is also rather meh
UI is Witcher 3-like
Quite cool memory-reading of NPC gameplay and quests (which feels often like adventure games)
Story and quests seem very interesting

Therefore, seems like Witchers - great story and quests, but gameplay is weak. The guy says it's mostly like science-fiction Witcher 2 (not 3, not 1, it's a game that tries hard to be western AAA title, but falls short).

Sorry but you got it wrong. I rewatched this video again and here is what he said (you can watch with subtitles):

1. He says Cyberpunk is more grounded Sci-Fi with lots of details to help immerse you in the created world. He does not say at any point it is worse than Deus Ex.
2. He says it's closer to Watch Dogs than GTA - lacks sense of speed, Jackie's sports car is able to come from max speed to full stop almost instantly, some objects barely slow down the car if rammed into while others completely stop it (like in GTA). He said the driving is basically OK but lacks polishing to be considered satisfying. Also the traffic and NPC spawn rate is tied to places players will frequently visit - Lizzy's, Ripperdocs, V's apartment and further from them the traffic gets less congested which contradicts with Night City being the biggest and the most busy town in USA.
3. UI is cluttered and makes you feel you are missing all the info the game tries to provide you (from my experience it is the same issue like in Doom Eternal which CAN be mitigated once you spend more time with the game). Equipment UI is chaotic because all items are not sorted by default and the game could use better sorting filters + split to different categories (like in Witcher 3). He says it is a step back compared to Witcher. Also looting is quite similar to Diablo - it is tedious until you learn to identify from all the names what items are good and which are insta-sell junk. He does not say the UI is like in Witcher 3 + you can watch released videos and compare it for your own.
4. Says hacking is non-intuitive and Watch Dogs did it better. Honestly I don't know if he meant the minigame or quick-hacks. He isn't pointing out what makes hacking "just alright" like he said. Maybe it's the controls? Watch Dogs 2 improved hacking by showing you 1 default option and 3 more if you targeted an enemy and pressed a button to enter hacking-contextual menu.
5. Combat is Borderlands-esque because of bullet-sponge. If you shoot someone in the head you deal crit damage but he won't die from single bullet. He doesn't comment on anything else but said shooting feels quite good. Also he said that if an enemy is many levels above you then you will have same thing like Geralt chipping health from Griffin for 30 minutes while avoiding one-shot attacks.
6. He says melee combat is stiff and it works like in Witcher 3 - fast, heavy attacks, block, dodge, counter when timed block. That's it, nothing more than telling how this game will have it's own brawl-fights quests like Witcher had.
7. Like I said he does not say the UI is witcher-like. Only that you have different menus (abilities, equipment, quest journal, map) divided like in Witcher 3 (or GTA or Watch Dogs or any other game). He said that summoning your car works like whistling to summon Roach or that the game has same travel system. He just points out CDPR copied some gameplay elements from Witcher 3 - and based on what he said elements which - in my opinion - were working in Witcher 3 and didn't need improvements.
8. He says Braindance reminds him of Batman: Arkham games detective riddles, how it is turned to 11 and will serve as good break from normal gameplay. He said we get mobile version to view BDs outside Lizzy's. On the other hand I have seen others saying BD is quite slow. boring and (especially on Reddit) not many people have the same optimism for it.
9. Story and quests are indeed interesting. He says developers tried to avoid fedexing and even when you have to collect 10 Mcguffins or bring some stuff somewhere it will have a story and provide you a reason to do it. In my opinion they probably got rid of treasure hunts from Witcher 3 which only had story-exposition in letters and very little gameplay. But I might be wrong and it is just marketing on their part.

So no, the game is nowhere in the material compared to Witcher 2. It is to GTA V and in that video it is said CDPR lacks the experience and driving, shooting and all similar elements which you can find in GTA are close but below Rockstar-level.

Last edited:

mk0

Learned
I hope CDPR will respect the choices we made in The Witcher 3 by letting us import our old saves so we can bang Ciri with our maxed out dong in Cyberpunk 2077.:hug:

Yosharian

Arcane
Actually I never minded the treasure hunts from TW3, it was the endless small quests that were boring and lacked quality control (though some of them are fun/interesting, most are boring)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom