Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

Jrpgfan

Erudite
The grafix are p. gud. Too bad the game's gonna be shit.

vazha

Arcane
They seem proper salty about our treatment of both the gayser and their adept lady here by the way.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I had some time to look through the two-hour stream, and I can definetly say I like some things I saw.

Combat is more reminiscent of BG1 low-level combat - most enemies die within 2-3 hits but there are much fewer missed hits than in low-level AD&D. A normal Ghoul seems to have 10 hp and dies within two hits.

Kiting enemies one by one seems possible.

The above makes bows pretty strong weapons in the low levels, just as in BG1, simply because you can get in one-two hits before the enemy closes in, and either leave him almost dead or kill him.

No "Engagement" or AoO if you pull off from an enemy.

Tank & Spank is still your go-to strategy.

Unlike the IE games, and like PoE/Deadfire, you usually have the enemy within your vision before they have you in theirs. This opens up chances for strong opening attacks.

I couldn't quite catch how things stand with replenishment of spells, which connects to rest-spamming. Either way, by now I consider rest-spamming a matter of house rules set or not set by the player on himself.

Minor stuff:
the maps look noticeably worse than those of PoE/Deadfire. Meh, big deal, I say.
The items' icons are much more similar to the IE games' style, which is a big plus in my book.
The UI icons are kind of too basic compared to the items icons. Meanwhile the spells icons look like they were used straight out of some Unity asset pack, and it seems like PoE's icons came from the same, lol. So you have three different styles there, for those who care.
BG-style drawings in the descriptions of items - yeeey!
I liked the portraits and the VO.
The writing seems to be balanced in its tone, doesn't sound out of place modern, but it doesn't try to shoot for a Tolkien award either. No sign of PoE's clumsy style either. Apparently in present day RPGs non-native speakers can show better results as writers than native speaker English Majors - make your own conclusions from this.

Last edited:

Ulysa

Scholar
Apparently in present day RPGs non-native speakers can show better results as writers than native speaker English Majors - make your own conclusions from this.
I was wondering how Larian/Owlcat/etc usually do this? Do the writers fully write in english or maybe they hire a translator?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Apparently in present day RPGs non-native speakers can show better results as writers than native speaker English Majors - make your own conclusions from this.
I was wondering how Larian/Owlcat/etc usually do this? Do the writers fully write in english or maybe they hire a translator?
They hire Chris Avellone and instead of having him write they ask him to wipe hipster asses.

Readher

Savant

One of Owlcat's streams was ran by their translator, so they probably write in Russian and have in-house translator(s) doing the English version.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
They hire Chris Avellone and instead of having him write they ask him to wipe hipster asses.
The only thing that is missing from BlackGayXer is MCA god level writing.:obviously:

guestposting

Educated
The only thing that is missing from BlackGayXer is MCA god level writing.:obviously:

Hey, they can probably afford him at this point.

AwesomeButton

Patron
It felt like a pretty faithful BG derivate at least without having played it. I mean by faithful, made by people who like BG, not people who "will fix everything you didn't know and didn't dream was wrong" with BG.

It will be a game for mates, mate.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It felt like a pretty faithful BG derivate at least without having played it. I mean by faithful, made by people who like BG, not people who "will fix everything you didn't know and didn't dream was wrong" with BG.

It will be a game for mates, mate.
I do agree with this statement mate,even at very worst it won't be as bad as BG3. I am looking forward to it. The graphics look muh,thus the game will be pretty good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom