Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is cyberpunk 2077 going to be good

Häyhä

Arbiter
Crazy how much culture and the world has changed since then.

Yeah, I miss the 80's every day, hot babes, good times, freedom of speech and expression. Cyberpunk dystopias were still science fiction, now we're living in one. :cry:

compvet24

Educated
Big Game Studios are leaning towards alternate-life reaction sims. We will see if the character options are each just forms of empowerment, rather than some being active weakness, and limitations; character traits that can be used against the PC, and that cut off certain options.

It's no good if there are simply five ways to succeed, and no (long) paths to failure. I want to see NPCs hacking the protagonist's implants due to their own expertise or the character's lack of maintenance; causing deliberate targeting assist errors, and false opponents to appear; causing the PC's cyber-arm to try to strangle them, or have the enemy hacker shout laughingly, "Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself! :lol: " as the PC's powered fist is breaking their own jaw by remote control.

I can imagine that, would be fucking rad. Unfortunately I am not sure if this game is even close to being able to bring something like that to the table, seems most dialogue routes shown so far are just 'alright next scene'.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

tl;dr:

Interesting sci-fi setting, kind of like Deus Ex, but much worse (not bad, but far from DE quality)
Watch Dogs-like driving (generally bad, much worse than GTA) with extremely scripted and dead city except quest locations
inventory is terrible
hacking is mediocre
Combat is Borderlands-like with all its drawbacks (I criticized this kind of combat in The Outer Worlds quickie)
Melee is also rather meh
UI is Witcher 3-like
Quite cool memory-reading of NPC gameplay and quests (which feels often like adventure games)
Story and quests seem very interesting

Therefore, seems like Witchers - great story and quests, but gameplay is weak. The guy says it's mostly like science-fiction Witcher 2 (not 3, not 1, it's a game that tries hard to be western AAA title, but falls short).

somewhatgiggly

Scholar

tl;dr:

Interesting sci-fi setting, kind of like Deus Ex, but much worse (not bad, but far from DE quality)
Watch Dogs-like driving (generally bad, much worse than GTA) with extremely scripted and dead city except quest locations
inventory is terrible
hacking is mediocre
Combat is Borderlands-like with all its drawbacks (I criticized this kind of combat in The Outer Worlds quickie)
Melee is also rather meh
UI is Witcher 3-like
Quite cool memory-reading of NPC gameplay and quests (which feels often like adventure games)

Therefore, seems like Witchers - great story and quests, but gameplay is weak. The guy says it's mostly like science-fiction Witcher 2 (not 3, not 1, it's a game that tries hard to be western AAA title, but falls short).

So it's intolerable shit?

Like I'm not even joking. Okay so the Story and Quests might be interesting but there's no excuse for the gameplay to be anything below above-average at this rate; or at least average. Nothing should be 'terrible', just 'okay' at the least. Hacking and driving especially for a game such as this.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

tl;dr:

inventory is terrible
hacking is mediocre
Melee is also rather meh
UI is Witcher 3-like

Like I'm not even joking. Okay so the Story and Quests might be interesting but there's no excuse for the gameplay to be anything below above-average at this rate; or at least average. Nothing should be 'terrible', just 'okay' at the least. Hacking and driving especially for a game such as this.

Most likely if you enjoyed Witcher 2 you will enjoy CP, and if not then you won't enjoy CP.

You probably don't actually get to drive that much in this game, it's just from some quests to other. Have you played Watch Dogs? I disliked driving there, felt completely odd and unpleasant, but maybe it's because I played GTA V a few days earlier.

Combat will probably depend a lot whether you liked Boringlands or not. I did not, so it's probably going to be bad, imo.

I suspect the game will be widely praised and get 9-10/10 GotYs all over, because of the story and quests. It's not like gaming journos care about gameplay anyway.

Konjad

Patron
DE quality
You mean Square Enix DE quality? Fifty years into the future, but we have robots and cyborgs everywhere, flying cars, literal suspended cities and all of that with the heavy dose of weeaboo bullshit injected into it? How could it be worse?
The guy in the video mentioned Deus Ex, I am not in his head to know what exactly he meant, and I did not play Cyberpunk. Take it as you will.

However, as unrealistic as the new DEs were, I'm sure CP can do worse. Overall, except from unrealistic technical advancement, modern Deus Ex vision wasn't bad.

Zer0wing

Cipher
. The guy says it's mostly like science-fiction Witcher 2 (not 3, not 1, it's a game that tries hard to be western AAA title, but falls short).
No wonder, CP2077 is mostly done by Twitcher 2 team.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Adjust your expectations. You can either have AAA production values or involved mechanics. Also, you can't have more than 2-3 well developed game mechanics per game. The rest will be underdeveloped, unbalanced, or won't matter in the game.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
On the scale from 0 to 10 it will be somewhere between 2 and 8. Journos will give it 9 or 10.

Really depends on how many transvestites there will be in the game, and what their connection with the main story is. Extra points for children who got brainwashed into being the other gender.

Drakortha

Liturgist
It will be trash from day 1, but will be defended by dumbfucks who were suckered into buying a new Nvidia card for RAYTRACING

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
DE quality
You mean Square Enix DE quality? Fifty years into the future, but we have robots and cyborgs everywhere, flying cars, literal suspended cities and all of that with the heavy dose of weeaboo bullshit injected into it? How could it be worse?
I think that the visions of the future of the Jetson is more advanced than the one of high-budget modern movies and AAA games.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The Jetsons get a pass because that prediction was based on a continuation of pre-diversity America.

somewhatgiggly

Scholar

tl;dr:

inventory is terrible
hacking is mediocre
Melee is also rather meh
UI is Witcher 3-like

Most likely if you enjoyed Witcher 2 you will enjoy CP, and if not then you won't enjoy CP.

You probably don't actually get to drive that much in this game, it's just from some quests to other. Have you played Watch Dogs? I disliked driving there, felt completely odd and unpleasant, but maybe it's because I played GTA V a few days earlier.

Combat will probably depend a lot whether you liked Boringlands or not. I did not, so it's probably going to be bad, imo.

I suspect the game will be widely praised and get 9-10/10 GotYs all over, because of the story and quests. It's not like gaming journos care about gameplay anyway.

Wasn't Witcher 2 blasted as the 'bad one' that 3 shat all over? I think people are expecting 3-level stuff at the least, not 2.

Harthwain

Magister
Wasn't Witcher 2 blasted as the 'bad one' that 3 shat all over? I think people are expecting 3-level stuff at the least, not 2.
TW2 had really good C&C. TW3 lacks in this aspect and breaks a few characters that were very well established in TW2. Other than that TW3 is pretty much "TW2, but more" (bigger world, much more content overall, tweaked systems, such as combat or potions, etc.).

Zer0wing

Cipher
Other than that TW3 is pretty much "TW2, but more" (bigger world, much more content overall, tweaked systems, such as combat or potions, etc.).
giphy.gif

Witcher 3 is alot more refined action game but has so much shittier skill trees by default, with eliminating the role of parrying and such a braindead AI.

typical user

Arbiter
Everyone keeps reposting TVGRY video yet I doubt half of you speak potato otherwise we shouldn't be using english on these boards.

The guy is pretty reserved in his judgement. He compared CP2077 to Twitcher 2 because both are stiff. Yet other journos said that it looks weird but you can feel the weight while playing it. In TVGRY the guy compared driving to Watch Dogs because the physics are nowhere near GTA V. Others mentioned crashing into other cars pushes them without slowing you down, you rarely spin out of control or lose traction but the sense of speed is still noticable. Remember everyone was forced to play with Xbox One gamepad - it would be impossible for me to measure if the game is good or not since I had PS4 pad in my hands for 8 hours total and ever since I started playing games I did it with mouse and keyboard. What was also mentioned elsewhere that we can suspect combat turning more smoother when V gains more skill in using certain weapons.

Every journo agrees the game will deliver when it comes to story, choices and consequences, characters and freedom of choice (stealth or loud).

Zer0wing

Cipher
So is driving fucked and requiers modding or just more realistic, tell me already?

Harthwain

Magister
Witcher 3 is alot more refined action game but has so much shittier skill trees by default, with eliminating the role of parrying and such a braindead AI.
Skill trees were shitty in TW by design (starting from TW1). In TW3 they simply diluted their "system" as much as possible, to make sure players keep getting points to throw into their "+5% increase upon level up!" machine.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
OP is such a faggot, why is this cannot be discussed in the dedicated thread?
Because that's the thread for whining. This one is for discussing the real topic.

Everyone keeps reposting TVGRY video yet I doubt half of you speak potato otherwise we shouldn't be using english on these boards.
I was able to understand most of his stuff when I turned the video to .75 speed. Based on what journos are saying, my interpretation is that driving will be "worse than GTA V", but what do we really mean by "worse"? Good driving for me was Mafia II with simulation driving turned on in the opitons. GTA (all games) is very much arcade. So yeah, CP77 will have arcade driving with a worse model for gaining/reducing speed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom