Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy XII remaster

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
dude wtf, you know well and good that FF12 is very much worth playing. it very likely is the last final fantasy game that will ever come out with actual game play and decent characters, so yes, any jrpg fan should definitely play the series swan song.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I should have been more clear that I'm talking about gameplay. The story is OK, I guess, certainly better than FF13. I dropped FF13 because I couldn't slog through all the repetetive talking. Dropped FF12 because gameplay is the worst kind of MMO. People say that Dragon Age 2/Inquisition is MMO-like but it's nothing compared to FF12.

It was also a problem of expectation on my part. You have the most complex character development system in the series, you get scripting integrated into system, you get sidequests that explicitly say they're about challenge (before that you only had Monster Arena in FF10 as something similar but it was end game content only)... And it turns out that main story is easy to complete with a very basic scripting - which is fine, I guess. But if you want to do optional challenges then you're in the world of waiting while numbers fly by. That was not at all what I expected.

Meanwhile I was happy to finish FF15. It had worse story than 12, probably worse gameplay than 13 but it wasn't really bad in anything. If you're more open-minded about gameplay then FF12 is a beautiful game - great music, epic story, huge world with clear artistic vision.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Has anyone been using the STRUGGLE FOR FREEDOM mod? It's one of those big overhaul mods, seems very popular on the FF12 Nexus.

I know someone here has used it because it was from this jrpg forum that I even learned about it, but I forgot who it was.

Perkel

Arcane
wow that mod really looks like decent overhaul of FFXII failed system.

Jinn

Arcane
Has anyone been using the STRUGGLE FOR FREEDOM mod? It's one of those big overhaul mods, seems very popular on the FF12 Nexus.

I know someone here has used it because it was from this jrpg forum that I even learned about it, but I forgot who it was.

Yeah, I also heard that was the best mod to use from someone here. From looking over the change notes, it looks great. Also legitimizes the use of the bounty board. Unfortunately in vanilla, using the bounty board completely overpowers your party, beyond how overpowered they get from just regular play.

It'll definitely be the mod I use in a future playthrough. It's the skeleton of a great game, crippled by ridiculous balance in the favor of the player.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
And the remaster was made even easier than the original PS2 game.

It's practically mandatory to use a rebalance mod for FF12 remaster. I'll soon start a new game with the struggle mod, once i get sick of dragon age inquisition.

Hyperion

Arcane
I played through Struggle for Freedom to basically the very end. I didn't use the custom job boards because modders get a little too arrogant with their bullshit. It had been awhile since I last played vanilla FF12 so I went with the original (but expanded) license boards. Kept my characters pretty specific and focused on their gear until endgame when LP typically becomes useless (my main reason for doing so).

Basch - Swords, Spears, Axes, Heavy Armor, Limited White Magic + Decoy
Vaan - Knives, Ninja Swords, Crossbows, Light Armor
Balthier - Guns, Poles, Heavy Armor, Scales (didnt use)
Fran - Bows, Rods, Magic, Mystic Armor
Ashe - Katanas, Bombs, Crossbows, Magic, Mystic Armor
Penelo - Staves, Greatswords, Mystic Armor, Magic

Covered pretty much all gear, and didn't end up breaking that mold until the end. I killed the Behemoth King until the game got to me. Endgame shit was just too tightly tuned in terms of requiring some RNG. A poorly timed combo would ruin the entire fight and force you to start over because it isn't possible to outheal theor damage with the boosted stats. Gilgamesh was the perfect level of difficulty. Had to change characters frequently, positioning mattered, status effect spamming helped, had to keep an eye on my own buffs. Bubble is MANDATORY for endgame shit. Fought Ultima at the end of Great Crystal, got her down to 1 hit left, Blinded her (Darkga has a passove chance of Blind) and she used Renew for a full heal (yeah, dont Blind her. Lesson learned) and I nearly threw my controller across the room.

Early game is by far the most fun. Fights take a significant amount of time, you need to make liberal use of manual commands for healing, targeting, taking out stronger enemies, etc. It was especially evident in Barheim passage when Basch is a guest, and it did drive home the 'fugitives on the run' vibe at that point.

Some of the hunts required a bit of funky tactics, or waiting until you got a bit stronger. Demon Wall was a close one, but again, use your Motes and you're fine. Brainlessly auto-attacking enemies to death didn't really become a thing until probably I had to go to Archades. But this is from someone who has played the game probably 7 or 8 times at this point, and has most of the Bazaar recipes known pretty well for gear that will overpower you.

Worth playing? First run, no. Every time after that? Yeah, absolutely. I'll leave using modded classes up to you though, I don't like when they fuck with that type of stuff.

Last edited:

index.php

Arcane
Patch 1.0.4.0 has now been released for FINAL FANTASY XII The Zodiac Age.

Update contents:
・Job reset function has been added
・Gambit system has been expanded to 3 sets
・Removed 3rd-party DRM “Denuvo Anti-Tamper.”

Deleted member 7219

Patch 1.0.4.0 has now been released for FINAL FANTASY XII The Zodiac Age.

Update contents:
・Job reset function has been added
・Gambit system has been expanded to 3 sets
・Removed 3rd-party DRM “Denuvo Anti-Tamper.”

Oh good! I stopped playing because I fucked up the jobs, so the ability to reset would be great. Would mean I wouldn't have to throw away a 100 hr playthrough and start all over again.

Anyone tried it yet? Does it give you your points back and essentially spend them again on a blank slate?

Jason Liang

Arcane
There's Something About Aeris:

Good theory, makes sense.

Uncanny that this is the exact same twist with Jonathan Hickman's X-Men run.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
There's Something About Aeris:

Wrong thread bro.

What does it mean "gambit expanded to 3 sets"?

It looks like you now get three sets of gambits and you can choose which set is active. So you can have gambits for boss fights, regular mobs, and farming without having to re-do your whole setup each time.

I didn't see the option to respec, maybe I'm not far enough in the game yet.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
There have been respec mods for a long time now for the PC version, btw. And while I haven't tried them I'm sure they probably do a better job than the official respec implementation.

mushaden

Scholar
I read here that the best version was the PS2 International Zodiac one. Should I wait till I can emulate that or play the steam one with the Struggle for Freedom mod (or another mod?)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
PC ver. with SFF mod is the best. Use the SFF mod's "freedom" version for a comparable experience to default job boards except with the rebalancing.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
PC ver. with SFF mod is the best. Use the SFF mod's "freedom" version for a comparable experience to default job boards except with the rebalancing.

How open-ended are the SFF Freedom license boards compared to the SFF rebalanced TZA license boards? Is there room for creativity/experimentation within each character's preset role, or does the inability to add a second job severely limit your options? I'm not interested in the Struggle boards, obviously. My only FFXII experience is with the original US version, which I never finished.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
How open-ended are the SFF Freedom license boards compared to the SFF rebalanced TZA license boards? Is there room for creativity/experimentation within each character's preset role, or does the inability to add a second job severely limit your options? I'm not interested in the Struggle boards, obviously. My only FFXII experience is with the original US version, which I never finished.

Dunno, haven't used the 'freedom' version of the mod, I've only used the 'struggle' version which gives each char a defined role. That version was great. I only recommended the 'freedom' version because everyone always whines about muh choices.

Yuber

Novice
And the remaster was made even easier than the original PS2 game.

It's practically mandatory to use a rebalance mod for FF12 remaster. I'll soon start a new game with the struggle mod, once i get sick of dragon age inquisition.

I played recently with only one Job for each character similar to ISJS version.
Felt much better, but I think the original still was more difficult.
I will soon start playing the original version again and compare, I think in the Remaster you get more HP faster.

I still can't decide if I like the original or the remaster more, both have pro and cons...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom