Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout How to Make the Perfect Fallout Game

Butter

Arcane
Patron
This is an amusing video. He goes through 1/2/3/NV/4/76 and highlights the good and bad from each. It's clear by 4 and 76 that he's struggling to come up with positives.

tl;dw:
Fallout 1 Good: The lack of bread crumbs telling you where to go on your main quest + the Master.
Fallout 1 Bad: The water chip timer.

Fallout 2 Good: The use of reputation perks + a world that seems to go on even without your involvement.
Fallout 2 Bad: Temple of Trials + overly goofy tone.

Fallout 3 Good: Random encounters interacting with each other + Broken Steel showing you in-game consequences of your actions in the main quest.
Fallout 3 Bad: Quest markers.

New Vegas Good: Quest design + 2-axis reputation system.
New Vegas Bad: Companions being overpowered.

Fallout 4 Good: Weapon modifications + Settlement building.
Fallout 4 Bad: Dialogue wheel.

Fallout 76 Good: Photo mode + Environment design.
Fallout 76 Bad: Aggressive monetization.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Weren't companions being overpowered also in Fallout 3? I distinctly remember you could sic the dog late game and it'd just cheese through everything.

Yosharian

Arcane
As if any of these developers care about making a good Fallout game, they want to make a game that's just like everything else out there and makes a pile of money, that just so happens to be wearing a Fallout-themed skin. If Todd or Pete ever watched anything like this they'd be laughing for days about how naive it is.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
These are all great ideas but i think Jon still way too optimistic about fallout franchise or at least pretend to be so.

Fallout 76 took one entire year to get anywhere near being good. And still has massive problems.

Their two lastest game were skyrim and fallout 4 , too major step back in terms of everything that made them great RPGs. Especialy fo4 that was more borderlands game re-skined to be fallout.

Bethesda doesn't want to make good RPG, they want to make "good" beteshda games.

Open world game that you can play forever with medíocre/trash everything from Quest design to combat and mod everything thats garbage about it. I not gonna lie that i still play skyrim just to mess around with mods.

The game itself is ass you make turn that shit into a open world dark souls clone that you fuck lizard anime girls.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
They made a perfect fallout game, it was called fallout: a post nuclear role playing game.

"Fallout 1 Good: The lack of bread crumbs telling you where to go on your main quest + the Master.
Fallout 1 Bad: The water chip timer."

Low IQ detected. The only issue with the timer is how lenient it is, to the point that it may as well not be there. If the timer gave you serious issues then you might have brain damage. Timers should be utilized in more games because it's one of the few ways to establish real stakes for your choices and actions over a long period of time, and also because it triggers people with the "I need to complete and optimize everything in a single run" mentality, the mentality that gives us games like Bethesda-shit where you can be leader of the all the guilds at all times and take as much time as you need to save the world from an impending doom.

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Fallout 1 Bad: The water chip timer.
"Our Vault is running out of water! Find water chip ASAP!" Urgency, urgency, no time to fuck around, stakes are high, there's Vault to be saved! No, I want the danger to be there, but at the same time not actually being there and affecting anything.

Fallout 2 Bad: Temple of Trials + overly goofy tone.
Temple of Trials could be completed in a couple of minutes if it annoys you so much. It's a breeze for melee and unarmed builds.

Fallout 3 Good: Random encounters interacting with each other
It's all present in F2: mobsters fighting yakuzas, hubologists fighting mercs, caravaners fighting raiders, and such.

Broken Steel showing you in-game consequences of your actions in the main quest.
Broken Steel C&C is so laughable that it's doesn't even worth to be mentioned.

New Vegas Bad: Companions being overpowered.
MC is overpowered in FNV. Companions don't matter.

Fallout 4 Good: Weapon modifications + Settlement building.
Yes, settlement building is very good. If you were dropped on your head while being a wee lad.

Fallout 76 Good: Photo mode + Environment design.
Environment design in 76: no cities, towns or communities. Very good.

Diagnosis: clinical retard. Sedate with heavy medication or put to sleep.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Fallout 2's temple of trial intro is not only short, but nearly all of the combats are optional. All but one of the enemies are animals, it means that most characters can simply step out of range and elect to manually end combat.

Falksi

Arcane
Anyone expecting anything other than a total train wreck of cash in shit after Fallout 4 & 76 is a nob.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Temple of trials is the only non-tutorial I've ever seen in a game.

You need to learn the basics of the game in order to get out of this tutorial, but it also explicitly teaches you or informs you on exactly NOTHING.

If anything, it's an interesting subversion. I like it just for that.

urmom

Learned
The only issue with the timer is how lenient it is, to the point that it may as well not be there.

Oddly, the first time I played the game I did not have any issues with the timer.

When I tried replaying it more recently I was not gaining XP fast enough to level up and defeat the higher level mobs. (I had cash and armor aplenty though.)

Generic-Giant-Spider

The waterchip timer is the best mechanic because it tells you who actually played Fallout 1 and who is posturing.

Citizen

Weren't companions being overpowered also in Fallout 3? I distinctly remember you could sic the dog late game and it'd just cheese through everything.

Hey, it was a clever nod to the arcanum's murderdoggo of death

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I thought the timer was foolproof even for retards. I did the quest in autopilot the first time.

Polyphemus

Educated
I don't think companions being overpowered is an issue in F:NV. It isn't a difficult game in the first place and being more difficult would hardly make it better, seeing as the combat was a weak point of the game. The fatal flaw of New Vegas, besides the awkward combat, is that only the NCR playthrough feels like a complete, full experience. Legion especially feels unfinished, despite being the most interesting faction. It's still a classic, and most of its flaws can be attributed to Obsidian not having enough time, but there are definitely more prominent issues than the companions being too strong. The fact that there are no Legion companions is a much bigger issue. I also find most of the companions unlikable, but that's probably just me.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
How to Make the Perfect Fallout Game

Just Fallout 1 in Tactics graphics with the amount of stuff from 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom