Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Obsidian Entertainment a good studio?

Objectively speaking, Obsidian is...

• Pretty capable.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rather average.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Quite mediocre.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hiver

With a megahit fueling these guys we could see 'em put out some killer original IP hardcore RPGs.
This logic is unfortunately wrong since making a megahit only leads to making infinite copies of the same.

You wont see any hardcore RPGs from Obsidian.

I only hope Aliens will not be the same type of a game as AP since its already in production so AP success cannot influence it much.

If they screw up Aliens i think this poll would look completely opposite to what it looks now.

Qwinn

Scholar
Well, er, I can't really see a game based on Aliens turning into an RPG. If there's ever a setting that invites minimal dialogue and maximum combat, that'd have to be it, no?

Qwinn

hiver

No. Fortunately mr Josh Sawyer thinks differently since to him human interaction under pressure of the threat of Aliens is what makes the story and what is crucial to Alien setting and movies.

Tardvapor

Novice
hiver said:
This logic is unfortunately wrong since making a megahit only leads to making infinite copies of the same.

That's silly. You're telling me if a studio filled with RPG gamers and developers responsible for some of the best RPGs the genre has ever seen receives the finances that a multi-million seller brings that they won't take chances on games they would love to play?

They're making two games right now. You think if Alpha Protocal drops and brought them GTA money they could only afford to make sequels for it?

Qwinn

Scholar
No. Fortunately mr Josh Sawyer thinks differently since to him human interaction under pressure of the threat of Aliens is what makes the story and what is crucial to Alien setting and movies.

Is that what they've said? Hmm. Okay then. That may be interesting. Thing is, it's kinda safe... I mean, if it turns out shallower than that, then it'll be properly reflective of the movies. If it's deeper, than it'll be better. Can't really lose.

I seriously hope it doesn't turn into a 60-80 hour screed against Evil Corporations, though. So bloody sick of that endlessly recycled indoctrination.

Qwinn

hiver

Is that what they've said? Hmm. Okay then. That may be interesting. Thing is, it's kinda safe... I mean, if it turns out shallower than that, then it'll be properly reflective of the movies. If it's deeper, than it'll be better. Can't really lose.

J.S:
For example, in the Aliens setting, there is a heavy emphasis on a character's ability to deal with stress. So I've thought about that in terms of the differences between learned skill and something innate to a character in the setting. It's arguable that the ability to resist the sort of mental trauma in the Aliens setting is a learned skill (the equivalent of Combat Cool in Cyberpunk 2020's "Friday Night Fire Fight") and some of it is more inherent to the character, a fundamental part of who they are that isn't likely to change much over the course of the character's time in the game

Think Aliens is a weird choice for an RPG? Lead designer Josh Sawyer doesn’t: "It’s always seemed like a perfect fit to me… Somebody has to make an RPG where the moment-to-moment gameplay is both visceral and fun." Exploring a ruined space hulk or a ravaged planet stuffed with those acid-bleeding xenomorphs could undoubtedly be cool.

J.S.
It takes place during a time when people get owned and heads get flown.

hiver

That's silly. You're telling me if a studio filled with RPG gamers and developers responsible for some of the best RPGs the genre has ever seen receives the finances that a multi-million seller brings that they won't take chances on games they would love to play?
Its a business, not "making games we like to play" company.

And best RPGs ever made were done by TSR division of Interplay, Black isle and Troika. Not Obsidian. So far they have one good RPG and thats MOtB.
I dont see any hard core RPGs in their portfolio.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"before finishing you rated highly"

Yeah, 7.5 is 'highly'.

Nor is it my fault that SOZ is SOZZY.

Thrasher

Erudite
Fat Dragon said:
Why do people always bother trying to argue with Volourn? Even if you have the better arguments you'll still lose just because...well, because it's Volourn.

FAIL

Tardvapor

Novice
hiver said:
Its a business, not "making games we like to play" company.

Of course it's a business, but making games they enjoy and making money aren't mutually exclusive. And I'm not saying Alpha Protocol is a game they wouldn't enjoy either, I think it is but it also has mass appeal. Look at Fallout PoS 2 sales, fucking 5 million, and it's a broken bastardized adventure game with inconsequential pen and paper stats wedged in there. Alpha Protocol will be 10 times the RPG Fo3 is, and a much better action game.

And if they succeed in spades as a business they'll have the resources to make whatever the hell they feel like, if they choose. So sure, they'll probably crank out an AP sequel, but who's to say they wouldn't be able to simultaneously make a throwback hardcore RPG with a more niche appeal for no other reason than because they can?

About your second point, you do know that Obsidian was founded by people from Black Isle that bailed out of that burning longboat when Titus took over don't you?

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
skyway said:
Dicksmoker said:
skyway didn't you like MOTB? I seem to recall you saying good things about it.

I like MotB very much. However good guys responsible for it left or aren't involved in anything interesting -

As far as I know, no one who was significantly responsible for MotB has left other than George Ziets, and he has returned. As for being involved in uninteresting things that's certainly a subjective matter.

ushdugery

Scholar
1eyedking said:
Then let's judge, say, the Harry Potter books as good because they're a fun read! Let's get over facts such as its complete lack of metaphors, incoherent prose, laughable plot and unrecognizable talent because hey! It was fun!
I think you mean complete lack of metaphor not metaphors and also it was so heavy handed with it's use of metaphor it was like reading a fucking CS Lewis children's novel.

hiver

And if they succeed in spades as a business they'll have the resources to make whatever the hell they feel like, if they choose. So sure, they'll probably crank out an AP sequel, but who's to say they wouldn't be able to simultaneously make a throwback hardcore RPG with a more niche appeal for no other reason than because they can?
Whos to say, whos to say...
I have no idea bit i didnt see them making such RPGs so far, except MotB.
I surely would like very much if they did and i pray to god they attempt to do so with Aliens cause i quite liked these few bits i could find about it from devs.
I just dont see it as a realistic thing to hope they will go into hard core RPG genre no matter how many devs they have from BI.

About your second point, you do know that Obsidian was founded by people from Black Isle that bailed out of that burning longboat when Titus took over don't you?
Yes. A few of them.

Liberal

Barely Literate
ushdugery said:
1eyedking said:
Then let's judge, say, the Harry Potter books as good because they're a fun read! Let's get over facts such as its complete lack of metaphors, incoherent prose, laughable plot and unrecognizable talent because hey! It was fun!
I think you mean complete lack of metaphor not metaphors and also it was so heavy handed with it's use of metaphor it was like reading a fucking CS Lewis children's novel.

Yes, and you know something else? Finished playing HL2 yesterday, what a waste of time! No roles to choose, no character development, little to no dialogue options - it's like playing a fucking shooter!

RuySan

Augur
1eyedking said:
RuySan said:
I just need to judge the game for the fun it provides.

No, they weren't fun. Just retarded. I just judge the books for the fun of it. Is 1984 and The Facault Pendulum some of my favorite books ever? Yes, because they're entertaining to read, and all the depth contribute to the entertainment factor.

1eyedking said:
RuySan said:
When i play it, it reminds me a lot of Pirates!, but with the deep D&D i like so much.
That's a fucking oxymoron if I've ever read one. Ever since 2nd Edition, D&D has been nothing but decadence; a codex of rules, and not rules for their own invention, that's what D&D is.

I like 3rd and 4th edition rules much more, so i have to disagree

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Tardvapor said:
And in other news: I just got back from Volourn and Skyway's wedding reception. When they weren't too busy fondling each other they announced their intention to start an RPG studio called, "Choice & Cumsequences" Their first game is going to be a hybrid of Baldur's Gate 2 and Pong called "Shaftslappers: Revenge of the Insipid Internet Nerd"
Somebody please sig this.

Qwinn said:
NWN and NWN2 are very similar, among pretty much every metric... style, quality, depth.
Except for writing.

...and I will probably never play KOTOR 2 because I despise the Star Wars universe.
Then you may actually like it. The biggest redeeming feature of Kotor 2, for me at least, is the fact that it shits all over the Star Wars universe.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Dicksmoker said:
Then you may actually like it. The biggest redeeming feature of Kotor 2, for me at least, is the fact that it shits all over the Star Wars universe.
After hearing so many people constantly jump onto Bethesda for doing just that with Fallout it always amuses me when they then go and praise another developer for doing the same thing. Not pointing the finger at you specifically since I've no clue if you're guilty of it, but there are quite a few on the Codex who are.

Obsidian is still good enough in my books that I'll give their games a try. But so was Bethesda before Oblivion. Let's hope Obsidian doesn't turn in to the next sell-out console-twitch game studio, though I suppose that option could be too tempting. It seems likely enough that soon the only playable new PC games will be strategy games. Not too many of those either, if you hate Starcraft and it's ilk.

Tardvapor

Novice
@hiver

Yeh, I'm an unrepentant optimist.

The way I look at it is there are only three studios turning out AAA RPGs: Bethesda, Bioware, and Obsidian.

Now Bethesda has scads of cash and I don't think they'll ever crank out an RPG that I want to play. I think they only way they'll make decent games in the future is if they realize "doing what they do best" means they should stop thinking they're an RPG studio and start making open world action / adventure games. Really, wouldn't Oblivion and Fallout 3 have been better games if they hadn't tried to squeeze poorly thought out RPG mechanics in there?

Bioware? Mass Effect was a decent game but a piss poor RPG. We'll see how Dragon Age goes.

Now Obsidian on the other hand has proven RPG talent on board. And regardless of whether their releases have been your cup of tea or not, can anyone honestly say they have been bad games?. I think both Kotor 2 and NWN 2 are way better than the originals.

Give Obsidian Fuck You Money and we could see something interesting, the other two already have Fuck You Money and their prospects still aren't exciting, downright dismal in Beths case.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Fat Dragon said:
Dicksmoker said:
After hearing so many people constantly jump onto Bethesda for doing just that with Fallout it always amuses me when they then go and praise another developer for doing the same thing. Not pointing the finger at you specifically since I've no clue if you're guilty of it, but there are quite a few on the Codex who are.

The difference is that the Star Wars universe needed to be shat on, while the Fallout universe was good.

Tardvapor said:
The way I look at it is there are only three studios turning out big-budget RPGs: Bethesda, Bioware, and Obsidian.

That's the word you meant right?

Also, it may be a bit early since they've only released one game, but I think you can add CD Project Red to that list.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Dicksmoker said:
Fat Dragon said:
Dicksmoker said:
The difference is that the Star Wars universe needed to be shat on
Nope, it didn't.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Dicksmoker said:
Tardvapor said:
And in other news: I just got back from Volourn and Skyway's wedding reception. When they weren't too busy fondling each other they announced their intention to start an RPG studio called, "Choice & Cumsequences" Their first game is going to be a hybrid of Baldur's Gate 2 and Pong called "Shaftslappers: Revenge of the Insipid Internet Nerd"
Somebody please sig this.

Tardvapor

Novice
Yeh, merely using "AAA" to differentiate between big-budget productions values and no-budget ones.

And yeh I guess we could toss CD Projekt in there seeing as how they've said they're going to keep making RPG's. Interested to see what they do next. It would have sold even better if it was playable on a much wider variety of systems, everyone I know who played it has been gaming since the dungeon crawler days and very few of them bother to keep their systems up to date anymore.

On a side note based on my unwelcome optimism, turn based gaming never completely disappeared and someday I think we'll see a company with the balls to toss it back into a major RPG title.

Civ IV sold well and warranted two expansions.

The DS is the most popular gaming platform in the world and some if it's best selling titles are turn based rpgs and strategy games. Just some food for thought.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom