Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Was there ever a Doom I/II pwad or mod that let you play as an archie? Because that would be the fucking ultimate necromancy-flavored beer for me.

If Necromancer can't summon tons of undead, he isn't a real Necromancer. D2 to this day has the best implementation of the class.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
If Necromancer can't summon tons of undead, he isn't a real Necromancer. D2 to this day has the best implementation of the class.

I remember playing a Doom pwad by TORMENTOR667 (Blade of Agony) where I trapped an archville behind a bulkhead that led to the entire open level of the space station I had just cleared, and I could hear him behind the door, frantically running to and fro, resurrecting all of the enemies on that level as I quietly slipped out the exit to the next level. He would be doing it for all eternity as they slaughtered each other due to in-flighting. Now that is a necromancer, friend.

DraQ

Arcane

D2 certainly has one of the best but is not the unique game which allow you to summon hordes of undeads.
If necromancer can *summon* undead he isn't a real necromancer either.

And D2's explanation of why skellingtons always look like human skeletons was pure
:prosper::deathclaw:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If necromancer can *summon* undead he isn't a real necromancer either.

Reanimation and undead crafting are IMO more satisfying than just materializing undead from nothing. BUT i rather have undead conjuring over reanimation with a single summon limit.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
So, i just started Age of Fear : The Undead King necromancer campaign(hard mode), completed the tutorial (4 battles, it's the beginning of the campaign, doesn't feel like a tutorial at all).

It's really good, not only you can raise the dead from fresh corpses (not from undead) but you can also turn the undead opponents to your cause and you keep them all after the battle until death do you apart.

Weaker enemies gets you skeletons or archer skeletons (goblins, human soldiers and archers), stronger ones (orcs so far) gets you skeleton warriors.
On the fourth fight, i turned a banshee and a mage skeleton to my cause and a Hero Banshee joined as well.

You also have a chance to collect enemies souls, which are a "consumable" equip-able relic giving your hero some bonus (+1 max HP so far) for 1 combat before vanishing and the undead you raise from fresh corpses get a +100xp bonus.

It really feels like really well implemented necromancy.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
So, i just started Age of Fear : The Undead King

never heard of this looked it up and found this:

ss_8dd163b3f5288eaf320ebd6269f46481c0518c61.1920x1080.jpg

LOOKS LIKE MY KINDA GAME

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dark Souls combat is beyond bad, actually.

Care to elaborate

I can't press a menu button and insta teleport 50L of magical potions and 500kg of food into my belly to insta heal from a dragon breath. Can't spam R1 and kill anything that moves, i need to think and act quickly to block, dodge, parry, in other words, it requires skills. hu3hu3hu3

PS : will check age of fear

Darth Canoli

Arcane
First time i played Age of Fear (i think it was the second one), probably on 3rd or fourth difficulty (you should start with normal mode until you learn the mechanism), i stumbled upon an unwinnable fight, tried a few times and hit uninstall.

Now, all the scripted unwinnable fights are auto-resolved but there is some optional mini scenarios (during the campaign, marked by a book) which can be extremely tough, usually, there is a warning after you click it if you care to read it.

My point being, start on normal mode to learn the mechanism, even if it's for 5-10 fights, read the events descriptions and don't get discouraged when facing optional unwinnable fights, they're meant to be tackled later on.

The biggest flaw, in my opinion is not being able to choose your attack position, attack moves going for the shorter way to their target but some units with segmented move (cavalry) can somewhat overcome this.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Undead Horde is all about being a necromancer but it's also a fairly simplistic game. all undead raised are based on the troops you killed and it quickly reveals why this makes for a pretty boring game.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
alright played this for a bit and this game's fuckin SWEEEET dude I'm killin mofos and raising them as skellies to fuck their buddies up hell yea!

I remember that sweet first time you kill a Knight and raise him as a Skeleton Rider...
And then, there is a Dark Knight you can enslave and next another necromancer which can be promoted to either a Lich or a Wraith* (that thing is overpowered).

Of course, the main necromancer character will turn into a Lich too.
And the second Castle upgrade gives you a Bone Dragon (didn't promote it so far), you get vampires too and other nasty things like the Shade...

*I think the main character can turn into one too is you loose a specific story battle (maybe the fourth one)

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I remember that sweet first time you kill a Knight and raise him as a Skeleton Rider...

just finished that mission yesterday and yeah it's BADASS also love the dialogue that happens when u raise the knight was like
undead knight: "hey wtf asshole?!?"
necro: "haha ur mine now lmao"
undead knight: "ah shit"

then u use him to trample his little army it's awesome. Also I hired a summoner and the unit type relies on sacrificing units that the necro enslaves to summon imps and shit. this game's so cool. I've never played a game that handles summoning/necromancy in such a badass way

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dark bestiary seems interesting. IF wasen't by cooldowns, I would buy.

Anyway, here is returning 2.0 as a necromancer.

On Gothic 2 - returning 2.0, in order to become a necromancer, you need to ask for apprenticeship from Xardas, get 30 INT(very hard), and do a quest involving killing a "sheep of innos". After it, you can learn runes. There are no hard caps on how much creatures you can animate BUT each creature that you maintain has a mana upkeep and without the alternative balancing, most low tier summons are banished from boss battles. You can also learn unique skills like a skill who allows you to spend your own lifeforce(much greater than your mana) to maintain your army of darkness. You can also learn demonology. Demons in gothic universe are not creatures of fire, they are creatures of darkness.

In general, necromancers are really powerful and I recommend returning 2.0 for those who enjoy necromancy.

The game also has unique dialogs based on your class.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In general, necromancers are really powerful and I recommend returning 2.0 for those who enjoy necromancy.

I remember hearing that the english version was very very poorly translated - is that still the case?

Yep. Just like some JRPG's has a poor (fan) translation outside of japan. I don't like then but the same happens with most gothic mods. Stalker too. Much more popular on central/eastern europe.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
It's not necromancy if they're summoned, rather than created from corpses.
The IWD games actually do have a spell in this style. Whether you'd want to use this instead of other level 6 spells is another matter.

aUtncGB.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom