Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nox: Opinions?

visions

Arcane
I just won the game as a Conjurer but I didn't go out of my way to test it. Now playing as a Wizard, guess I might be able to test it in Castle Galava with the fire demons, once I get that far. As a kid, Nox was one of my first rpg-like games and I never managed to beat Dün Mir as a Wizard. Now, almost 20 years later, I hopefully won't get stuck there again. :lol:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
well, out of an autistic sense of duty, I just tested it. Here's some funny data:

With the help of a helpful lich, I exposed myself to meteors and fireballs (you have no idea how hard it is for them to actually hit you with the spells when you want them to do so) while wearing:

a) No fire protection
b) A cloak of the dragon's heart (fire prot 4)
c) The cloak, + a prot2 helmet + prot1 boots

Fireballs are a bit dicey to lab because the lich's accuracy just about doesn't exist, but it looked to me like I was taking ~125 damage with no prot, ~105 with the cloak, ~115 with all the gear. This is interesting data, but unreliable.

So after fireballs I started paying more attention to the meteors, and here are my findings: with no fire prot, I'd take 16 damage on a direct hit. With the cloak of the dragon's heart, it would be 11. With all the other gear on, it was 13!

Which would suggest that stacking is in fact counter-productive rather than helpful. But that's not entirely accurate, cuz armour value also reduces damage taken by spells. Still, I believe it's safe to assume that if the protection levels stacked, their combination would be stronger than the loss in armour values I had from switching endgame plate to sturdy/mighty plate.

For a final test I took off all armour and compared the divine cloak of the dragon's heart (armour 36, 4 fire prot) to a mighty cloak of dragon's scale (armour 32, fire prot 1).

With the divine cloak, a direct meteor strike would hit me for 71 damage. With the mighty, it was 77. So it would seem the protection levels provide next-to-worthless damage reduction, and you're just better off looking at the raw armour value instead.

In fact, given the number differences between the two cloaks and the meteor damage difference, I wouldn't be surprised if "protection level X" just meant "-X damage"... which is hilariously bad. At least for fire prot. Could potentially be much more useful for lightning prot, since lightning spells do damage tics, but there's no way in hell I'm testing that lol

Last edited:

catfood

AGAIN
Fuck transparency in real life, I want transparency in video games! Seriously I hate it when games give vague information like "lesser protection from fire" and the like. What's that supposed to mean? Give me some numbers dammit!

That does sound quite hilariously bad. IIRC it still works well for running across lava and shit? If so that'd give good evidence that its a flat damage reduction and only useful for DoT stuff. Probably also useful when you're being hit by those quick melee weapons that have a small fire damage enchantment.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Update from the test lab.

Turns out the protection levels DO stack. I found a shield of anti-shock (lightning prot 3), which I figured would be an excellent test subject, because (a) shields don't have armour values, (b) I also happen to have a breastplate of anti-shock, and (c) I found a friendly lich who casts shock (i.e. the massive lightning discharge at point blank).

With my regular stuff on, I take 55 damage from the shock. When I put on the shield, I take 50.

And akshually, I also have a shield of anti-spark (lightning prot 1). When I put it on, I take 53.

Curiouser and curiouser!

But I'm pretty sure the bottom line is still that you're better off looking at raw armour values - because if I swap my divine plate leggings (146 armour) for grand plate leggings of anti-zap (136 armour, lightning prot 2), I take 56 damage from the shock, 52 with the shield.

Isn't plate armor supposed to increase your vulnerability to lightning attacks? I presume that it applies some multiplier to lightning damage before decreasing it due to the armor value?

Absinthe

Arcane
Metal armor does raise the lightning damage you take, yes. Based on Darth Roxor's testing, it sounds like it might also slightly increase your vulnerability to fire. Resistance gear does stack.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
lol I cant believe there are still people playing this multi

noxm1.png

:terminate:

Andhaira

Arcane
Nox and Revenant were my favorite Diablo clones. Revenant was rushed and had a lot of problems but I still don't understand why no other game of this genre copied its combat system. It was so good!

Oh yeah, Revenant was a gem of a game too. Great action RPG with a unique flavor, kickass combat system and fun spell system with runes. Graphical style for the time was fresh too. It really deserves more recognition.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nox and Revenant were my favorite Diablo clones. Revenant was rushed and had a lot of problems but I still don't understand why no other game of this genre copied its combat system. It was so good!

Oh yeah, Revenant was a gem of a game too. Great action RPG with a unique flavor, kickass combat system and fun spell system with runes. Graphical style for the time was fresh too. It really deserves more recognition.
Incessant respawns are its only flaw.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I played the demos of Nox and Revenant in my youth, and always wanted to give them a full play eventually. So I've just installed Nox.

If it helps anyone, I had to put the game in Compatibility mode (win98 +16bit color) or it wouldn't load the menu after the intro. I also had to install the NoxGUI from this page to get it working, otherwise the menu would flicker to no end.

Now I have to choose a class, really hesitating between warrior and conjurer. I like kinetic play and doing things myself, so summons feel like cheating a bit, but I also like to have some utility and flexibility which the conjurer seems to have. Goddamn it this game is hard lol.

Now I have to choose a class, really hesitating between warrior and conjurer. I like kinetic play and doing things myself, so summons feel like cheating a bit, but I also like to have some utility and flexibility which the conjurer seems to have. Goddamn it this game is hard lol.

I never really got into summons all that much and played the conjurer primarily as a 360 no-scope sniper badass with some small magic support.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

I never really got into summons all that much and played the conjurer primarily as a 360 no-scope sniper badass with some small magic support.
Another thing which I'm finding annoying is that you don't get XP for charmed beasts.

XP from kills is quite highly scaled to your level (overleveled = no xp underleveled = huge xp) so that you'll level at roughly the same time no matter what.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
XP from kills is quite highly scaled to your level (overleveled = no xp underleveled = huge xp) so that you'll level at roughly the same time no matter what.
Good to know.

I like that you gain one less XP each time you kill a monster of a type you've already killed.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Shiiiiieeet, Impact 3 Staff is hilarious!

No melee enemy can approach you as long as you have some durability on that weapon.

uaciaut

Augur

Conjurer was p easy iirc, out of the 3 classes it was the easiest to do the last fight with too. Never managed to beat her with mage though

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Conjurer was p easy iirc, out of the 3 classes it was the easiest to do the last fight with too. Never managed to beat her with mage though
Why,the last fight was the same with all of them?! You just get the staff and electrisize her.

uaciaut

Augur

Why,the last fight was the same with all of them?! You just get the staff and electrisize her.

Couldn't survive death ray with mage, with protections up one hit left me with 1 hp and i died fairly fast. Warriors could tank it a little and conjurers just summoned golems to tank for them.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Couldn't survive death ray with mage, with protections up one hit left me with 1 hp and i died fairly fast. Warriors could tank it a little and conjurers just summoned golems to tank for them.
From what i remember there were shield spells also you spam healing,you have run around quite a lot tho,it is not that hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom