Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
No Super Mario World which might be the best off time?:decline:

Fake news. The decline is real. They removed a lot of good features from SMB3 in SMW, for example the inventory system and the complexity of the overworld. The graphics are cutesy and suck. The level design is weaker. And worst of all Mario controls like he has ice skates. SMB3 is the one true great mario game.

Graphics are good,overland map wasn't that complicated in 3,level design was as good and the levels were longer while 3's were short and multiple exits gave replayability.Not to mention ghost manors,the bosses had better variety,Yoshi was added and the fact that replaybaility was added made the inventory not that useful in SMW.Oh and as far as I remember 3 didn't offer any save options and you had to complete it in one sitting while world had saves of course

Ash

Arcane
True regarding saving, I'll give you that
:negative:

But All Stars version fixed it.

JDR13

Arcane
But the Free Mine is decline so far, with Gorn turning hostile (and the game turning him invincible is lame)

Sounds like a bug. Did you loot any of the bodies near the Free Mine when Gorn was with you? That's known to make him turn hostile sometimes.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Reached Chapter 5 in Gothic.
Trained in 2H Weapons, but it seems I'm better off with one handers since the Berserker Sword only does marginally less damage than the best two hander I can wield. But the two hander is bloody slow, which was a bit surprising, since Crossbows seem to be just as fast as Bows, unless the Gothic version of crossbows are fully automatic.

EDIT: turns out the overhead (Arrow Up) attack is more effective for two handers, while the sideways attacks are more effective for one handers.

Last edited:

cosmicray

Savant
Half-Life 2 - finished. Actually, it made me want to replay the episodes. They will come in due time. Nova Prospect is the highlight of this game. Too bad city levels and squads were a nightmare. Thematically(Ahh, Gordon Freeman) and in gameplay. Also, "boss" fights(so many of them!) with airships have the worst design ever - shoot some rockets, run to ammo crate. Rinse and repeat.
Football Manager 2020 - I'm playing ungodly amounts of it. 2 seasons for AC Milan - 2nd and 3rd in league table. Job is secure.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Nearing the end of Gothic.
The Orc Temple is huge, and I hope I will be able to get back to camp and train up STR and get a better bow, before facing The Sleeper.

I wouldn't be surprised if when I finally face The Sleeper it turns out he's really
Mud.

EDIT: Just realized something...I was thinking how much Morrowind was obviously inspired by Gothic (unless Gothic inspired by Redguard and/or Battlespire?).
The most reviled enemy is also similar: Mud and Mudcrabs.

Last edited:

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
1884 - Best timeline

USA is currently fighting Deseret, Texas, and CSA for the Midwest.

Y6JaRNc.jpeg

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. I'm at chapter 5. It's a bit shit, but I have raised a monster that can kill most things in a few hits, so it'll at least be beaten quicker than I anticipated.

As I don't have the resilience that other codexers have with KotC 2, I am playing some other turn-based games, until we get some patches.

In Underrail + Expedition, I beat the Arena. It was a little bit easier than I though, but I was also very likely overleveled. I had to defend myself because I didn't give the Acorn to certain people, and I finally crafted some much needed improved gear.

The Books of Dragon. I played it in Chinese, last year, but this time I am playing with an English patch. I have already tried English patches, but I'll stick with this one. It's available on Steam Workshop and it seems to be updated regularly.

I also started Dungeon Rats. Tough Bastard (Normal) seems like a good enough difficulty for me. The party has cleared 7 fights so far. My next fight is with a scorpion. I lost on my first try, but I know what I did wrong. My character is a sword and board users. With him, he has a spear wielding old man, a crossbow user and the last one is a dude with a two handed hammer. So far, it seems like a decent party.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker. This is on the back burner. I play it like an hour per week. Still in chapter one. I read that it will get official turn-based support, but I'll stick to the mod. I'm quite happy with how it works. Party is level 4, managed to kill a few monsters at higher level than the party. Luckily, a few bought and found weapons helped me be victorious.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Heh, I broke Gothic when not following the linear path that the game becomes after Chapter 2.

I got the Ancient Ore Armour and the super weapon Uriziel, but I figured I'd pay the grease ball Gomez and his compadres a visit before putting The Sleeper to sleep.
Since I found the rune of Teleport to Fire Mages I thought I'd just teleport into the castle instead of attacking the barricaded gates, but obviously that was not what I was supposed to do, since the first cut scene didn't make much sense. Then I approached Thorus and the two castle guards from behind and the game stopped responding.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
The Books of Dragon. I played it in Chinese, last year, but this time I am playing with an English patch. I have already tried English patches, but I'll stick with this one. It's available on Steam Workshop and it seems to be updated regularly.

Playing with this patch myself now. Wanted to draw Darth Roxor's attention to it. I think you'd like this game a lot, and the patch is surprisingly decent.

The game is great. Basically an open world Tale of Wuxia without the life-sim elements. Really hope Heluo get a chance to make another game like this one someday.

And a link to the patch page for anyone else who might be interested.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Heh, I broke Gothic when not following the linear path that the game becomes after Chapter 2.

I got the Ancient Ore Armour and the super weapon Uriziel, but I figured I'd pay the grease ball Gomez and his compadres a visit before putting The Sleeper to sleep.
Since I found the rune of Teleport to Fire Mages I thought I'd just teleport into the castle instead of attacking the barricaded gates, but obviously that was not what I was supposed to do, since the first cut scene didn't make much sense. Then I approached Thorus and the two castle guards from behind and the game stopped responding.

Meh, it turns out I can't do most of stuff in the Old Camp. Fletcher and his men no longer attacks me when I get close, and after releasing Stone the smith from the dungeon he travels to where the corpses of Torres and Rodriguez lies instead of to the smithy, and I can't initiate any dialogue.
And I can't open the gate either; I can operate the winch, but nothing happens.
That's quite disappointing. Nothing indicated that I had to return to the Old Camp at all, or that I was supposed to do it ASAP.

What excactly was I supposed to do? The cutscene after teleporting to the Fire Mages indicates I already spoke to Stone. But how can I speak to him if I can't enter the Old Camp?

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
octavius you could try reloading a save from before entering the orc temple.

I'm assuming you got the systempack and playerkit (and the missing patch if it's the Steam version) and are not playing with an unlocked framerate D:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Already completed the game.
Will make Old Camp the Fletcher Memorial Home for Incurable Wasters of Life and Limb in a possible replay instead.

Anyway, I didn't think of turning into a Meat Bug and enter the Old Camp that way, before it was too late. It may or may not have changed things.

EDIT: used 41 in-game days, and 54 and a half real life hours to complete it, which I guess is above average. But I did play it 99% blind.

Last edited:

cosmicray

Savant
Quake - Holy shit. A never liked it "back in the day". I don't remember if I ever completed it(maybe 2 episodes). Now I['m playing it and it's the best thing ever. Dark castles, a bit occult theme, awesome music, movements are fantastic, art design is some thing I always remembered as "brown shit" is actually pretty good. I'm playing it via vkQuake(and compatibility layer Luxtorpeda). Don't know if it's faithful to vanilla.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Installed Serious Sam and took it for a test ride.

First impression was generally good. Action in the Doom style, but the scale of things made me feel like a pygmee running around in buildings made for giants.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I played Subnautica yesterday for like...14h nonstop. I forgot to have dinner, I forgot some of the chores I had left half done, I even forgot to pee! Damn game hits me where it tingles.

JDR13

Arcane

First impression was generally good. Action in the Doom style, but the scale of things made me feel like a pygmee running around in buildings made for giants.

Great series if you like pure shooters. The action is tight, and the level design is really good too. Lots of secrets to find.

JDR13

Arcane
As for me, I'm currently playing Terminator: Resistance.

It's "ok". Not a must-play by any means, but it scratches that post-apoc itch. Worth checking out if you're a fan of the franchise.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Great series if you like pure shooters. The action is tight, and the level design is really good too. Lots of secrets to find.

Quite a hard game. Playing on Normal I barely survived the Valley of the Kings.
Too bad you can't provoke in-fighting like you could in Doom.

JDR13

Arcane

Quite a hard game. Playing on Normal I barely survived the Valley of the Kings.
Too bad you can't provoke in-fighting like you could in Doom.

I can't remember if there's any in-fighting, but enemies are susceptible to friendly fire.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Replaying Knights of the Chalice (the first one). It's so sweeeeeeeeet.

Going with KCWW. Went with the standard two knights the first time around, and I know CWWW is the powergaming party, but I just had to keep the knight in order to make full use of all the melee-related swag. Besides, it's worth it just to be able to pile mountains of buffs on him and have him crush everything in his path early on. If he falls off later, he falls off later. Gotta have fun in the early game as well.

By the way, if you've played this and are wondering if the second one is for you, try going to the cave to the south right off the bat and fight the spiders. That's sort of what it's like, except every single encounter is like that and there's no easier alternative.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom