Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You know what I meant, but that's a very appropriate typo...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am going to beat the goblin fight with no help.
Hell, maybe I am even killing them all. Why the fuck not?

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
By the way, Mantis can't wear armor, but they start with a leather armor equipped... if you remove it it's -2 AC forever. It's probably an exploit to keep it equipped, though.

You lose it anyway after you get teleported to the sewers.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Just wait until Pierre uploads his next video of him playing the first 30 battles on ironman to show that everyone else is a pansy.

Even if he does have a party composition that wrecks everything, I don't think it is a good game design that if you don't have class x ( i.e psionic ) you are screwed and have to restart, the game should be winnable with several compositions

Latro

Arcane
Just wait until Pierre uploads his next video of him playing the first 30 battles on ironman to show that everyone else is a pansy.

Even if he does have a party composition that wrecks everything, I don't think it is a good game design that if you don't have class x ( i.e psionic ) you are screwed and have to restart, the game should be winnable with several compositions
depends, most 6 member RPGs are designed with the idea the player is taking at least 1-2 casters (game-sense would tell you it is some wizard flavor and psionic to take advantage of deep mage/psi list) and at least 1 healer (cleric). it isn't that egregious imo.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron

depends, most 6 member RPGs are designed with the idea the player is taking at least 1-2 casters (game-sense would tell you it is some wizard flavor and psionic to take advantage of deep mage/psi list) and at least 1 healer (cleric). it isn't that egregious imo.

If a game needs you to have class X the proper way to do it is put class X as a recruitable companion when you need him, not after.

Latro

Arcane

If a game needs you to have class X the proper way to do it is put class X as a recruitable NPC before you need him, not after.
no wonder RPGs inevitably decline

Lilliput McHammersmith

Man, I might just have to wait until I get some patches. It just keeps crashing. Meanwhile I think I might play Might & Magic 3 for the first time. Or Nethergate.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
b0e17d941a74d941150c0a2d9d35c17a.png

What two-handers shall we quadruple wield tonight?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Now that should probably be reported. Sure, I have an enchanted Guisarme and an enchanted Glaive somewhere. And an enchanted Halberd. (Halberd for the trip giant, Glaive for the whirlwind half-salamander)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I want to tell you about my current party that did the Tomb at level 2/3 without doing the goblin arena first. I think this is the most optimization I am willing to do; this is the party I will win the game with barring disaster. There is one thing that could be improved: I think the Samurai Whirlwind Attack build is more of a meme. A funny meme, but a meme.

1. Half-Giantess (Cloud Top) trip Gladiator with a reach weapon. Extremely reliable tripping even on large enemies. Nobody is safe unless immune.
2. Mantis Gladiator spec'd for dual wielding. Bit meh ... until level 6. Now an unstoppable death machine.
3. Half-Salamander (Coldbrother) Samurai with a Reach weapon. Big AoE Whirlwind attack for killing smaller low HP enemies easily. Could be switched for another Mantis Gladiator, but then who wears all the armor we find?
4. Human Bishop (+2 CHA/WIS) with Aberration / Turning. Aberration to carry early, and Turning to be useful when out of spells. Turning is not bad with 20 CHA. Not great, but better than melee by far. Took Reach domain at 5.
5. Human Psion. Mandatory.
6. Elf Wizard with max Int (20.) Important to make all the Search checks without a rogue, and mage spells are critical.

Everyone has Improved Initiative and Lightning Reflexes (big help with webs and all the bullshit) and all casters have Extended Range 3.

Big lesson I learned from earlier party: giving everyone Die Hard + Toughness is overkill. Yes, you will die a lot... but you will die a lot no matter what. Just tough it out.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Now that should probably be reported. Sure, I have an enchanted Guisarme and an enchanted Glaive somewhere. And an enchanted Halberd. (Halberd for the trip giant, Glaive for the whirlwind half-salamander)

It's intended, says so in the rules.

Noddy

Augur
If you want to buy the great items , you wont have enough gold to level up, if you craft you lose xp , you cant afford that . When you create your party you dont know what kind of wepaons will drop but you select proficiency anyway . Turns out i found no reach weapons at all, weapons with elemental damage were subpar, too bad for the knight mage. best i found so far are shortsword +3 when most weapon are +1 ,no one in party use shortsword , longsword but holy ones no good elemental, flails and warhammer.

So by default its not worth getting a monk, theres no drop for him.If the summoner and necromancer class are implemented one day they wont be optimal either as permament summons cost xp.

You get bonus xp for taking fights at a lower level, so the xp from crafitng comes back eventually.
Golds tight early but i think you can squeeze in one big buy from the gobbos. On the second floor i've found myself with a lot more leeway and have done crafting, some buying and still had easily enough to level. Item dupe from the genie helps too.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pierre is on discord, saying he is looking at the bugs, he is finally back home, patch before 14 july. He will do the quick load/quick save first. Second the out of combat spells.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
HAH! Killed the Green Goblins without help from the Grey Goblins. Sweet, sweet extra gold. First try!
I thought if you solo them without help the summons wouldn't appear. Well, they still appear.

Gonna try killing both tomorrow, and see if there's any extra loot.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
A year from now we'll be demanding a mode that makes the game play like this because we'll be too strong and manly for a patched version.

Has anyone cleared out that secret room with the mummy bishop and vampire mages and all that other shit? Because I'm seriously considering saying fuck that, they have such high init they always win the first go, darkness, curse, vampire blast, smite, holy light, and then you're surrounded skeletons with reach weapons.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
I want to tell you about my current party that did the Tomb at level 2/3 without doing the goblin arena first. I think this is the most optimization I am willing to do; this is the party I will win the game with barring disaster. There is one thing that could be improved: I think the Samurai Whirlwind Attack build is more of a meme. A funny meme, but a meme.

1. Half-Giantess (Cloud Top) trip Gladiator with a reach weapon. Extremely reliable tripping even on large enemies. Nobody is safe unless immune.
2. Mantis Gladiator spec'd for dual wielding. Bit meh ... until level 6. Now an unstoppable death machine.
3. Half-Salamander (Coldbrother) Samurai with a Reach weapon. Big AoE Whirlwind attack for killing smaller low HP enemies easily. Could be switched for another Mantis Gladiator, but then who wears all the armor we find?
4. Human Bishop (+2 CHA/WIS) with Aberration / Turning. Aberration to carry early, and Turning to be useful when out of spells. Turning is not bad with 20 CHA. Not great, but better than melee by far. Took Reach domain at 5.
6. Elf Wizard with max Int (20.) Important to make all the Search checks without a rogue, and mage spells are critical.

Everyone has Improved Initiative and Lightning Reflexes (big help with webs and all the bullshit) and all casters have Extended Range 3.

Big lesson I learned from earlier party: giving everyone Die Hard + Toughness is overkill. Yes, you will die a lot... but you will die a lot no matter what. Just tough it out.

*laughs in kobold*

flabbyjack

Arcane
I can't get thru the first encounter without crashing, but have only tried 2x. That's all OK. All will be fixed in time. I'm just kinda pleasantly surprised it's working for you guys.

Stay strong Pierre!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron

I understand making a hardcore game balanced towards people that play like that, especially since this isn't a game made for the average BioWare fan, but I wonder how this will affect future modules, both by Pierre and by players.

The editor doesn't allow you to customize classes, races or add module limitations, so every module will have to be created considering some people will have a Mantis Gladiator with 24 AC on Lv 1...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom