Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Man, I might just have to wait until I get some patches. It just keeps crashing. Meanwhile I think I might play Might & Magic 3 for the first time. Or Nethergate.

Play Dark Heart of Uukrul if you haven't played that.

flabbyjack

Arcane
I can't get thru the first encounter without crashing, but have only tried 2x. That's all OK. All will be fixed in time. I'm just kinda pleasantly surprised it's working for you guys.

Stay strong Pierre!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I want to tell you about my current party that did the Tomb at level 2/3 without doing the goblin arena first. I think this is the most optimization I am willing to do; this is the party I will win the game with barring disaster. There is one thing that could be improved: I think the Samurai Whirlwind Attack build is more of a meme. A funny meme, but a meme.

1. Half-Giantess (Cloud Top) trip Gladiator with a reach weapon. Extremely reliable tripping even on large enemies. Nobody is safe unless immune.
2. Mantis Gladiator spec'd for dual wielding. Bit meh ... until level 6. Now an unstoppable death machine.
3. Half-Salamander (Coldbrother) Samurai with a Reach weapon. Big AoE Whirlwind attack for killing smaller low HP enemies easily. Could be switched for another Mantis Gladiator, but then who wears all the armor we find?
4. Human Bishop (+2 CHA/WIS) with Aberration / Turning. Aberration to carry early, and Turning to be useful when out of spells. Turning is not bad with 20 CHA. Not great, but better than melee by far. Took Reach domain at 5.
5. Human Psion. Mandatory.
6. Elf Wizard with max Int (20.) Important to make all the Search checks without a rogue, and mage spells are critical.

Everyone has Improved Initiative and Lightning Reflexes (big help with webs and all the bullshit) and all casters have Extended Range 3.

Big lesson I learned from earlier party: giving everyone Die Hard + Toughness is overkill. Yes, you will die a lot... but you will die a lot no matter what. Just tough it out.
I understand making a hardcore game balanced towards people that play like that, especially since this isn't a game made for the average BioWare fan, but I wonder how this will affect future modules, both by Pierre and by players.

The editor doesn't allow you to customize classes, races or add module limitations, so every module will have to be created considering some people will have a Mantis Gladiator with 24 AC on Lv 1...

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The first room of the death snare hits you with fatigue and suppressed sword, the second is full of guys who cast silence, the third has an acid damage floor that disrupts casting and causes a lot of dmg each round. The last one is a poison floor that drains con and acts like a fog cloud and has you up against a much of mind flayers and snakemen using bleed/blinding weapons, but because this is far too easy a demon lord gets summoned in the middle of the room after a few rounds.

Lilliput McHammersmith

Man, I might just have to wait until I get some patches. It just keeps crashing. Meanwhile I think I might play Might & Magic 3 for the first time. Or Nethergate.

Play Dark Heart of Uukrul if you haven't played that.

I actually have played a little bit of that and I liked it A LOT! But it's hard for me to get past the whole no audio thing. I first played it on mute in a browser, but when I got it all ready to go, I was disappointed in the total lack of sound. I kind of wish that someone could take it and just add simple sound effects and music, it would make it so great!

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Still haven't cleared that last room in the snare, the way I see it you need to wall off the master mind flayer and hit everyone else with chaos to have a chance, dunno what to do about the devil lord that pops in.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
I think I figured out how you can cast spells out of combat, sometimes. Get into a fight then reload and it should let you at least get to the roster to cast a spell, sometimes it will let you and sometimes it crashes.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
b0e17d941a74d941150c0a2d9d35c17a.png

What two-handers shall we quadruple wield tonight?

BTW, how did you get 19 strength on your mantis?

The main reason I didn't go with mantis gladiator is that they start with low strength

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
As you can see the color is blue, so it's buffed by +2 from the gloves of strength sold by the ratmen.

The other points are 1 from leveling and 2 from being a gladiator. Gladiators gain Str as they level up.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Can anyone confirm that the Shake it Off fighter feats chain is working as intended? I have a fighter with all three of them but I don't see any free saving throw at the beginning of his turn when he has the "held" condition from the hold person spell.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
As you can see the color is blue, so it's buffed by +2 from the gloves of strength sold by the ratmen.

The other points are 1 from leveling and 2 from being a gladiator. Gladiators gain Str as they level up.

Buffed is green not blue and you don't wear the +2 strength bracers, they are green too. The bracers you have equipped improve criticals

Gladiator level 3, increased your strength from 18 to 19. ( unless you are level 12 in that picture )

Last edited:

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Can anyone confirm that the Shake it Off fighter feats chain is working as intended? I have a fighter with all three of them but I don't see any free saving throw at the beginning of his turn when he has the "held" condition from the hold person spell.

Yeah, I never saw it working

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Yeah, I never saw it working
It's a pity, because to me that seems the fighter's best feature.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture

Buffed is green not blue and you don't wear the +2 strength bracers, they are green too. The bracers you have equipped improve criticals

Gladiator level 3, increased your strength from 18 to 19. ( unless you are level 12 in that picture )
I'll check when I'm out of the bath. If that picture has the crit bracer then he just be wearing the Str belt you get in the tomb.
Pool of chaos may also have given +1 earlier.

Strange, she isn't wearing the belt either. I'll investigate.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Rpguy

It's a Painted Mantis and therefore started with 16 STR at level 1. She got 1 STR from a level up, 1 STR from the Pool of Chaos, and 1 STR from Gladiator.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
How to kill both goblin armies in the arena:

Step 1: run back across the ice chasm
Step 2: ???
Step 3: PROFIT!!!

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Spent an ungodly amount of gold and xp but now everyone is enjoying the benefits of spell resistance, don't know if that's really going to help for the final room in the death snare, still stuck on it with no end in sight.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Waiting for big goblin battle to resolve, will report if killing both is worth it. Killing one side without help gives twice the gold and each side has unique rewards. (Don't see how you can beat Cloak of Globe of Invulnerability, though)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Well, it's only 30 damage. Some people may get knocked unconscious but a healing spell can bring them back on the other side. Then you wait it out in the mimic room and mop up the survivors.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Btw I figured out how the pool of chaos works, this really changes things for min/maxing as you can count on the +1 str +1 dex +1 con for your builds.

It depends on how you arrange your party when you enter the game - you only have 1 chance at this, you can't arrange them again once the game begins. ( well you can but it won't change the results )

character on:
Position 1 - +1 Fortitude Saves.
Position 2 - +1 Reflex Saves.
Position 3 - +1 Strength.
Position 4 - +1 Dexterity.
Position 5 - +1 Constitution.
Position 6 - +1 Willpower saves.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Mantis now has 8 attacks, 2 with each weapon, 4 weapons. Other melee have 2...
Also 23 STR/DEX

d01cc310ced941da579809ed5a0449da.png

laughs in Mantis

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom