Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Harthwain

Magister
Interesting tidbits (Part 1 and 2 combined)

- Number of times you can use short rest is capped in between long rests, to avoid it being spammed.
- Level up screen (or the ability to level up) will be available during long rests.
- Current idea for reactions is for the player to decide, at the start of their turn, which reaction they want to trigger. Explains further that they want to avoid "pop-up" screens to stop gameflow. Talked a bit more in length in Part 1 about trying to shave off seconds here and there in turn-based combat to keep the combat feel faster (e.g. animations).
- Not having the relevant skills can result in missing out content of importance and not just flavor stuff.
- Death should be punishing and resource-heavy, there won't be resurrection scrolls everywhere (but will be in EA for playtesting purposes).

(Eagerly awaiting how Ontopoly will spin these concepts as bad).
Sounds reasonable enough. Are the long rests capped somehow or are there ill effects for overusing it (similar to how Pathfinder did this)?

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

- Number of times you can use short rest is capped in between long rests, to avoid it being spammed.
- Level up screen (or the ability to level up) will be available during long rests.
- Current idea for reactions is for the player to decide, at the start of their turn, which reaction they want to trigger. Explains further that they want to avoid "pop-up" screens to stop gameflow. Talked a bit more in length in Part 1 about trying to shave off seconds here and there in turn-based combat to keep the combat feel faster (e.g. animations).
- Not having the relevant skills can result in missing out content of importance and not just flavor stuff.
- Death should be punishing and resource-heavy, there won't be resurrection scrolls everywhere (but will be in EA for playtesting purposes).

Sounds reasonable enough. Are the long rests capped somehow or are there ill effects for overusing it (similar to how Pathfinder did this)?

From what we have seen from the trailers they are not capped, but they only become available on screens that are cleared of enemies. There might be a timing system on top of this aswell.

Saravan

Savant

From what we have seen from the trailers they are not capped, but they only become available on screens that are cleared of enemies. There might be a timing system on top of this aswell.

They should consider some sort of timer or cap on long rests as well. Resource requirements for a long rest is also an alternative. I think making sure enemies in the near area are cleared is a good start but it could be abused to circumvent the short rest limits. This is probably something that will require the EA to playtest.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

They should consider some sort of timer or cap on long rests as well. Resource requirements for a long rest is also an alternative. I think making sure enemies in the near area are cleared is a good start but it could be abused to circumvent the short rest limits. This is probably something that will require the EA to playtest.

All they need to do to balance it is add random encounters on area transitions. This leaves you with two options when running low in an area, muscle through and clear it, or backtrack, fight the random encounter, heal and return. Taking a cut from Wizardry in that sense.
As long as they dont make the random encounter % based, like in the BG games where you just cheese until the long rest goes through when you are too beat up.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

This is all incline. Everyone can suck it. I am all shill Larian Cultistor for this.
We already have a word for that here. You are an "Ontopoly", now.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I still think they should go with lvl 12, level 7 spells are no joke. Forcecage, Magnificent Mansion, Simulacrum, Teleport are all big stuff. Level 6 (characterlevel 11) has some iconic spells you want in there such as Finger of Death and Chain Lightning.

Most games doesn't even put this spells. Seriously. Magnificent Mansion, only exists on NWN1 - PRC. Never saw in any other game. Teleport, i only saw on DDO and is more a utility spell than a combat/questing efficient spell(note **), Forcecage, i never saw in any game. And honestly, is far more limited on 3.5e than 5e.

note > About DDO teleport being mostly utility. there are a exception. A spell which is bugged for frost warlocks. If you cast this spell and dimensional door, you can move back to the dungeon entrance and alt tab while the perma dot kills the boss. But the devs will fix. But except saving time, and escaping few traps, dimensional door is not 1% of teleportation on P&P.

-----------------------------------

As for WISH spell, look how BG2 implemented it https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Wish

The same way with NPC dialog; they think what is the most common thing to ask and pre script it. Maybe even troll the player eg - "i wish to be more experienced" and then, hostile adamantine golems spawn to kill the player.

I don't get the Larian "high level spells are too hard to implement" when tons of games implemented they(not all of couse)...

Dodo1610

Arcane
The game has no area transistions according to the Ama on Reddit. Just gigantic maps that you can explore without loading screens.

So I am not even sure if BG3 will even have random encounters.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They can just allow us to skip animations and the slowness problem is miraculously gone.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

User0001

Savant
They can just allow us to skip animations and the slowness problem is miraculously gone.
:nocountryforshitposters:
nigga show me a single TB game where this exists. The problem is easy to solve but devs never do it,because you have to see their muh hard work and shiet lol.

98% of all roguelike. Don't ignore them.
That have nothing to do with the shit we are talking about. They are not TB RPGS.

Illegal statement.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
nigga show me a single TB game where this exists. The problem is easy to solve but devs never do it,because you have to see their muh hard work and shiet lol.

Literally every second JRPG has a skip animations/turbo mode. And half of those are turn based. Larian should take a peak to the east here.

Lacrymas

Arcane

98% of all roguelike. Don't ignore them.
That have nothing to do with the shit we are talking about. They are not TB RPGS.
tf are you talking about, nigger?

Elex

Arbiter
Well rules have one long rest for 24 hours. They can easily put an equivalent timer.

in before “they want to put a cooldown in the game!!!! :argh::argh::argh::argh:

also can be linked to difficulty.

easy: spam rest.
medium: limited rest
D&D: you need rations
Insane: gritty realism rest rules.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
every blobber, roguelike, tactics style jrpg or game that doesn't suck my time away with nonsense speshul animations

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Dark Sun : Shattered Lands. Arcanum also has a option.

ToEE din't had it but had concurrent turns which also speeds up the combat quite a little.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
So they did change how short rests are going to work. They changed a ton. Why can't they just change the name?
And then after that they can change their company goal to anything other than making video games. 250+ workers could easily work a socks factory or something. Still wouldn't wear the socks but it would bother me less than their games

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
So they did change how short rests are going to work. They changed a ton. Why can't they just change the name?
And then after that they can change their company goal to anything other than making video games. 250+ workers could easily work a socks factory or something. Still wouldn't wear the socks but it would bother me less than their games
What are you talking about? What did they change?

Lacrymas

Arcane
They said short rests are going to be every stretch of time between encounters. Now they changed that, as if nothing ever changes during development.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
They said short rests are going to be every stretch of time between encounters. Now they changed that, as if nothing ever changes during development.
But that's coherent with how short rests work in D&D 5. In general, you are supposed to benefit from two short rests during each day.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yes, it's incline, but why would you listen to anything Ontopoly says? I haven't read a post of his in weeks. They are boring and samey.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was playing Pathfinder just now, and I got to Pitax, and summoned a Deva. (Yeah, I play with just a 5 or 6 man party, with *just* them getting the exp, so I get to do things). Anyway, things that I have noticed that even Kingmaker trails off behind the BG series is minutae that made BG a superior game even 20 years after its release.

Right? So I'm sure there are old(er) people here that looked at the BGs back in the day and called it decline, but...

... when you summoned a dryad (or any summon that could cast spells), you could use her spells. Which influenced gameplay. Which influenced how you approached spell casting and informed the world. Which increased immersion.
... when you wanted to place a trap, you could place a trap, and you could lure your oponents into an ambush (if you saw them coming)
... there were spells in your repertoire that were flat-out there just for information

And many other things, that when compounded result in a much more complex experience.

Meaning, my hopes are that this title while improving on verticality, will not forget about the other 2 axes. There is a standard set on those that devs keep forgetting about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom