Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Last Of Us 2 - now with protagonist-murdering trannies

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
On the whole "Ellie forgiving Abby at the end" and it supposedly not making sense, here's how I interpret it.

You have to think about why she goes after Abby again at the end. It's because she keeps getting haunted by images of Joel, having panic attacks, not being able to sleep - all despite apparently having "moved on" while at the farmhouse with Dina. She says all this to Dina when she decides to leave. She thinks that finally killing Abby will make this stop, but it won't, because it's evading the core issue.

What's really haunting her is the fact that she never forgave Joel for saving her life at the Firefly base. This is shown in the last flashback, where she says to him "I can't forgive you for what you did, but I'd like to try." This turns out to be the last thing she said to him (he's killed the next day). Think about that. That's how she left things with him, having not yet forgiven him, but admitting the possibility of it in the future. But she never gets the chance to fully make amends with him, and this is why she can't move on.

When she'd finally in the act of killing Abby, she realizes that killing her won't help her to move on, because she's simply been using Abby as a proxy for her unresolved feelings over Joel. That's why the image of Joel flashes before her eyes in that moment. So she lets Abby go. But it's not really about forgiving Abby - it's about forgiving Joel.

Now, you could say that she could still kill Abby anyway, and that's true, but consider the circumstances as well at the end. She finds Abby emaciated and crucified, having spent months in slavery. When Ellie cuts her down her first act is to immediately go after the boy. She's not interested in fighting Ellie at all, in fact she refuses to and willingly accepts her fate at Ellie's hands until Ellie actually threatens said boy. She's basically a completely different person at this point. Ellie can see this as well, despite the fact that she forces her to fight. So this also contributes to her decision to let her go.

Then at the end of the game, we get that final flashback. And I do think it was put at that spot for a reason. The way I interpret that final scene is that, in that moment, Ellie finally forgave Joel for saving her life, and because of this she's able to finally move on, and in turn start to truly value her life. That's why I think the game ends on a somewhat hopeful note - not for Abby, but for Ellie.

Also, I definitely don't think Ellie "lost everything." It seems pretty clear that Dina went back to Jackson, and it seems likely that that's where Ellie heads off to as well. I see no reason why they can't get back together, especially now that Ellie is "done for good." Plus there's a whole community there which presumably still cares about her.

That whole „Ellie is mad at Joel for saving her life“ shtick is fucking stupid. That fact alone makes your drivel obsolete.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
h2lf61ei2u951.jpg

Olinser

Savant
On the whole "Ellie forgiving Abby at the end" and it supposedly not making sense, here's how I interpret it.

You have to think about why she goes after Abby again at the end. It's because she keeps getting haunted by images of Joel, having panic attacks, not being able to sleep - all despite apparently having "moved on" while at the farmhouse with Dina. She says all this to Dina when she decides to leave. She thinks that finally killing Abby will make this stop, but it won't, because it's evading the core issue.

What's really haunting her is the fact that she never forgave Joel for saving her life at the Firefly base. This is shown in the last flashback, where she says to him "I can't forgive you for what you did, but I'd like to try." This turns out to be the last thing she said to him (he's killed the next day). Think about that. That's how she left things with him, having not yet forgiven him, but admitting the possibility of it in the future. But she never gets the chance to fully make amends with him, and this is why she can't move on.

When she'd finally in the act of killing Abby, she realizes that killing her won't help her to move on, because she's simply been using Abby as a proxy for her unresolved feelings over Joel. That's why the image of Joel flashes before her eyes in that moment. So she lets Abby go. But it's not really about forgiving Abby - it's about forgiving Joel.

Now, you could say that she could still kill Abby anyway, and that's true, but consider the circumstances as well at the end. She finds Abby emaciated and crucified, having spent months in slavery. When Ellie cuts her down her first act is to immediately go after the boy. She's not interested in fighting Ellie at all, in fact she refuses to and willingly accepts her fate at Ellie's hands until Ellie actually threatens said boy. She's basically a completely different person at this point. Ellie can see this as well, despite the fact that she forces her to fight. So this also contributes to her decision to let her go.

Then at the end of the game, we get that final flashback. And I do think it was put at that spot for a reason. The way I interpret that final scene is that, in that moment, Ellie finally forgave Joel for saving her life, and because of this she's able to finally move on, and in turn start to truly value her life. That's why I think the game ends on a somewhat hopeful note - not for Abby, but for Ellie.

Also, I definitely don't think Ellie "lost everything." It seems pretty clear that Dina went back to Jackson, and it seems likely that that's where Ellie heads off to as well. I see no reason why they can't get back together, especially now that Ellie is "done for good." Plus there's a whole community there which presumably still cares about her.

That whole „Ellie is mad at Joel for saving her life“ shtick is fucking stupid. That fact alone makes your drivel obsolete.

ESPECIALLY because there's clear and convincing evidence that the whole 'JOEL SACRIFICED HUMANITY TO SAVE WORLD REEEEE' isn't even true.

She wasn't even the first, or even the 2nd immune that the Fireflies had found and killed. They'd already cut multiple ones apart, and they STILL didn't have a cure. And even IF they succeeded in finding it, they're all fucking scumbags, they wouldn't distribute the cure to everybody out of the goodness of their hearts.

Joel 100% made the right decision, and Cuckman and staff literally spit on his grave trying to make him wrong.

Dexter

Arcane
TLoU sold 20M+ over its lifetime; TLoU2 has sold probably something like 5-6M thus far? Games have a long tail, and making a shit game really hurts that.
4,8 million apparently 16 days after release: https://gamstat.com/games/
Spooder-Man apparently had 5,8 million 16 days after it's release.
Now you know why they're panicking and going all "HALP, we're being harassed!", they've barely managed to sell any more copies after their Pre-Order and first week release period.

vota DC

Augur

If Joel saved a kamikaze brainwashed by Hirohito it could work because "muh honor, the emperor is a god blablabla". But Ellie of first game wouldn't react that way (just like Joel is no more paranoid toward pefect strangers), Ellie 2 is just another character, boring and serious to help making Abby likeable.
Also those ungrateful butchers of Fireflies instead of doing their part of the deal were about to kill Joel shortly after the surgery because they were depicted as cartoonish evil.

Ellie allowing Abby go after she saved Lev would make more sense.
Ellie is already vicious backstabbing a lot of people (even people that helped her) to reach Abby. Her reaction about Lev being saved is.....trying to cut their throat to provoke a DUEL.
After that there is only Abby fighting for her life and biting off two fingers.
That makes me worry: you are willing to cold blood murder a child to piss off your enemy (only reason here: usually villain movies use it to force hero to disarm) but few minutes after you spare an enemy in the heat of a battle after losing two of your fingers? This isn't Ellie's fault but Druckmann not being able to perceive a realistic behaviour.

Draxylon

Savant
Ellie allowing Abby go after she saved Lev would make more sense.
Ellie is already vicious backstabbing a lot of people (even people that helped her) to reach Abby. Her reaction about Lev being saved is.....trying to cut their throat to provoke a DUEL.
After that there is only Abby fighting for her life and biting off two fingers.
That makes me worry: you are willing to cold blood murder a child to piss off your enemy (only reason here: usually villain movies use it to force hero to disarm) but few minutes after you spare an enemy in the heat of a battle after losing two of your fingers? This isn't Ellie's fault but Druckmann not being able to perceive a realistic behaviour.

EXACTLY. This game is kinda schizophrenic. It forced the player to play a character who is supposed to symphatize to just after putting a knife in the throat of an almost unconscious kid... What the fuck?! I rewatched this ending again and it made me more convinced of the total bullshit it is. There were thousands of ways to resolve this with the same result that wouldn't be so embarrasing. I would like to know who was who scripted that: Druckman?

MasPingon

Arcane
ESPECIALLY because there's clear and convincing evidence that the whole 'JOEL SACRIFICED HUMANITY TO SAVE WORLD REEEEE' isn't even true.

She wasn't even the first, or even the 2nd immune that the Fireflies had found and killed. They'd already cut multiple ones apart, and they STILL didn't have a cure. And even IF they succeeded in finding it, they're all fucking scumbags, they wouldn't distribute the cure to everybody out of the goodness of their hearts.

Joel 100% made the right decision, and Cuckman and staff literally spit on his grave trying to make him wrong.

Judging by how this game is neo-marxist manifesto, Joel is probably anti-vaxxer in their minds.

Sentinel

Arcane
In a surprising twist of fate, I ended up playing this game because my brother bought it for some reason.

I just completed it. The only thing I'd praise about it would be increased aggressiveness of the AI and the graphics. Everything else, in my opinion, was a downgrade from the first game.

- I think I counted 1 new enemy (the dogs) in the game. Everything else was ported over from the first game.
- There are no new mechanics (unless you count going prone). You will be playing this game the exact same way you played through the first.
- There are no functionally new weapons, only reskins of old weapons.
- The soundtrack is very minimal, which is appropriate I guess, but the first game had a great song at the end - this doesn't.
- The open levels/maps are a welcome change at first, but they become tedious to navigate through extremely fast, because the game quickly sets into a pattern of: arrive in area --> scavenge --> enemies --> scavenge their bodies --> travel to next area. Scavenging through these huge maps is a major pain in the ass.
- Ellie's side of the story made me cringe everytime she interacted with Dina. The relationship was so rosy that almost everytime they interacted it was about their teen romance shit. It was so bad that I actually wondered if Ellie even remembered why she set out on the journey at all.
- The game is way too long for the 0 new mechanics it introduces. The simplicity of TLOU1's gameplay worked because the game was short. TLOU2 is probably twice the length, and the gameplay is completely unchanged. I started feeling serious fatigue by the time I got to Abby's segments. Even though I didn't hate her (and the side characters in her arc are way better than Ellie's), the length of her segment made me sort of dislike her & the characters.
- There are a ton of moments in the game where characters are written very poorly:
--- For example, after beating Noah, Ellie shows up at Dina's place shellshocked and almost with PTSD, barely a functioning human being - what warranted that reaction? Beating someone to death? She'd already done that to hundreds of people by that point in the game.
--- Why did Ellie react so strongly to Joel saying that he killed the fireflies so she wouldn't die? She never expressed any sort of wish of sacrificing her life for the greater purpose or any goal like that. She had a throaway line about it near the end of TLOU1, but it was never a big part of her character.
--- Why did Ellie start crying when Owen said Mel was pregnant? What made her go into shock so suddenly? I understand that it reminded her of Dina but was it really enough reason to go into immediate shock and be immobilized?
--- Why did they make such a big deal out of Joel killing the surgeon, even going so far as to mention that he was the only one that could ever do the surgery, when later in the game they reveal that Mel is one of the best surgeons in seattle, strongly implying there are more surgeons out there? Am I supposed to believe that a big settlement like Jackson has no surgeons at all? Does no one get injured, ever? You don't even need an expert surgeon, since Ellie was going to die anyway, so "careful maneuvering of the brain" wasn't even required.
----- If the answer to the quesiton is "even if they had a surgeon, they have no labs to research the vaccine", then that means that a vaccine was 1) by no means guaranteed, 2) a long way off. The vaccine not being a guarantee but merely a chance was also reinforced in TLOU1, but in TLOU2 this is retconned in the very first cutscene, with joel saying that he gave up the vaccine in favor of Ellie. Basing your entire story on a retcon of a critical plot point isn't a very smart thing to do.
--- The game tries to obviously make a point that revenge is bad - but it's only a negative thing for Ellie. She loses all her friends, her girlfriend leaves her, tommy hates her, she loses her two fingers and is unable to play guitar, the only connection she had with Joel. Meanwhile, Abby gets to live happily ever after with Lev - her revenge was completely worth it.

From the writing side, the game screams of an ambitious team that didn't have the chops to fullfil their ambitions.
From the gameplay side, the game screams of a team that couldn't be bothered to come up with anything new.

It's not a worthy successor to TLOU1 in any way shape or form.

Last edited:

ptolemy

Novice
This game is awful. Heavily politicized and pandering to leftist journos while chastising and berating the player for having the audacity to have identified with Joel.

i loved how netflix's punisher ended.
defeated villain: come closer, i have the usual few words of redemption and regret to say.
[punisher shoots him in the face]

back when even netflix tried to do good stuff. not even pepperidge farm remembers.

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
I've dived a bit into this cesspool and, if I'm not mistaken, at the moment we have:
- False advertising from publisher's side (that won't be punished because customer protection doesn't exist in western world);
- Developers lying to customers about features of their product;
- Mass media acting as an external marketing department (bots, prepaid reviews, review clean up, SMM);
- Mediocre gameplay;
- Plot and character cast as the product's only sellable feature;
- The only sellable feature made intentionally emotionally shocking to generate drama and cheap advertising (or promote "issues", but I don't really believe in this);
- The only sellable feature spoiled in internal corporate conflict that occurred when management had decided to cut employee remuneration in violation of labor contract;
- Developers in denial of their failure;
- Customers still caring.
Riiight.

On the plus side, thanks to this situation (as well as Refunded and Disco Elysium shitfests) I've finally formulated several principles that have been spinning in my head for some time and that I think would be useful in the future:
- Always buy a game at least 3-6 months after its official release (preferably pirate it first to see it for yourself, as media can't be trusted; no preorders, ever).
- Never buy a game with a feminist, non-caucasian or LGBT-ABC-whatever lead (I'm probably not a target audience for this kind of a game, after all I'm a white cisgender male, educated and with a well-paid job). Japanese are caucasians for this matter.
- Have a blacklist of companies and personas I would never buy a game from (have lists for other kinds of media as well, there's simply too much bullshit around).

Togukawa

Savant
Patron
- Have a blacklist of companies and personas I would never buy a game from (have lists for other kinds of media as well, there's simply too much bullshit around).

It would be nice to have these kinds of lists available made people that I consider reasonable, or even more preferably, reliable recommendation lists. All I've found so far are going into one extreme or the other.
Especially for books this is a nightmare, there are massive amounts of people recommending utterly shit books because they happen to have some agenda, or opposite, people completely burning them to the ground because there happens to be a gay character in it. Reviews are generally worthless.
At least for games it's still feasible to see for yourself.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I've dived a bit into this cesspool and, if I'm not mistaken, at the moment we have:
- False advertising from publisher's side (that won't be punished because customer protection doesn't exist in western world);
- Mass media acting as an external marketing department (bots, prepaid reviews, review clean up, SMM);
- Mediocre gameplay;
- The only sellable feature made intentionally emotionally shocking to generate drama and cheap advertising (or promote "issues", but I don't really believe in this);
- The only sellable feature spoiled in internal corporate conflict that occurred when management had decided to cut employee remuneration in violation of labor contract;
Riiight.

On the plus side, thanks to this situation (as well as Refunded and Disco Elysium shitfests) I've finally formulated several principles that have been spinning in my head for some time and that I think would be useful in the future:
- Always buy a game at least 3-6 months after its official release (preferably pirate it first to see it for yourself, as media can't be trusted; no preorders, ever).
- Never buy a game with a feminist, non-caucasian or LGBT-ABC-whatever lead (I'm probably not a target audience for this kind of a game, after all I'm a white cisgender male, educated and with a well-paid job). Japanese are caucasians for this matter.
It is easier to just do it like East EU does: Pirate all the games, that way you will not mistakenly buy a shit one. And you are not financing West decadent liberals.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
- Mediocre gameplay;
Riiight.

Pirating console games is not viable but I agree with the wait a few months to purchase rule. Games depreciate extremely fast these days, except for some products from blizzard or Rockstar which take a long time to be discounted. The average game release will be 30-40% off 3-4 months after release.

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
It would be nice to have these kinds of lists available made people that I consider reasonable, or even more preferably, reliable recommendation lists. All I've found so far are going into one extreme or the other.
There's no reliable service I know of that can make these lists well.

In Russia we've had a site called Imhonet where you could've rated a media on a 1-10 basis, other users did so as well and then you got recommendations based on a similarity of your rate sets. Regretfully it quickly declined because owners tried to monetize it too hard and substituted functionality with advertising. It got closed a couple of years ago.
I've remembered that there's a site called Goodreads (recommendations for books) that I wanted to try to use for a long time. So I've fooled around there for half an hour, left 140 marks and... their recommendations seem to be off. Imhonet worked better. If I'm not mistaken, Goodreads is owned by Amazon so it's expected of them to try and insert "bestsellers" everywhere, cater to a large audience and muck around with recommendation filters in general. Or maybe their algos begin to work reliably after several hundreds of rates. There's also an issue that they don't have many Russian books I've read, probably because the site is based on a limited Amazon database. So meh.

I stopped believing in external services for this kind of filtering. There're just too many marketing temptations around. So I have documents where I write several sentences long reviews for all the books I've read and all the games I've played or watched. I just need to organize them, move them to spreadsheet, and add metadata (developers, etc.) and black lists.
Having several buddies with similar tastes also helps a lot. I've found out that humanitarians (esp. historians and sociologists) often turn out to be pretty well-read.
Codexians are good at games (yes you're, you magnificent bastards).
And movies are not my priority, so I don't care.
There's a problem finding a good new music, but I'm more interested in classics so whatever.
Oh, and I was looking for a similar service for drugs and domestic chemicals, but I guess it's useless as well.

It is easier to just do it like East EU does: Pirate all the games, that way you will not mistakenly buy a shit one. And you are not financing West decadent liberals.
That's what I do in general. But I do throw a couple of bucks at developers that I like, sometimes months after I've stopped playing their products.

Pirating console games is not viable
And, arguably, unnecessary. PC master race! :)

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It's a shame the PlayStation store doesn't allow refunds, not sure if they were ever pressured by consumer rights to allow it but if they have, they have ignored it.

- Mediocre gameplay;
Riiight.

Pirating console games is not viable but I agree with the wait a few months to purchase rule. Games depreciate extremely fast these days, except for some products from blizzard or Rockstar which take a long time to be discounted. The average game release will be 30-40% off 3-4 months after release.
what parallel universe do you live in?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/364360/Total_War_WARHAMMER/
RELEASE DATE:
24 May, 2016
59,99€

Sentinel

Arcane
- Mediocre gameplay;
Riiight.

RELEASE DATE:
24 May, 2016
59,99€
Lowest recorded price: 14,99€ at -75%

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ye, that one was heavily discounted when the sequel came out. I got it in March 2017 humble bundle.

Codex Year of the Donut
- Mediocre gameplay;
Riiight.

RELEASE DATE:
24 May, 2016
59,99€
Lowest recorded price: 14,99€ at -75%
Weird I got it for $0

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
47% of positive reviews for Last of Us 2 are CERTIFIED FAKE. LOL. The rest are probably fake too, just less obvious, minus a few sony fanbois who rate 10/10 just because of console wars fanboism. This is a common practice by the way, especially if you see a torrent of trolls calling a game a masterpiece. Look at the user reviews for Divinity Original Sin 2, i DARE YOU. LOL.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ahhh that is news how? LoL if you don't know that obvious shit is fake,you deserve to be scammed by those corporate retards . Also metacritic just deletes a few negative numbers every day,thus the score rises,it was obvious after the first day lol.

Also that fat incel is annoying libtard lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom