Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The fight takes a fucking 45 minutes!

Are you playing with all the accelerated combat/movement options on?

Latro

Arcane
I want to tell you about my current party that did the Tomb at level 2/3 without doing the goblin arena first. I think this is the most optimization I am willing to do; this is the party I will win the game with barring disaster. There is one thing that could be improved: I think the Samurai Whirlwind Attack build is more of a meme. A funny meme, but a meme.

1. Half-Giantess (Cloud Top) trip Gladiator with a reach weapon. Extremely reliable tripping even on large enemies. Nobody is safe unless immune.
2. Mantis Gladiator spec'd for dual wielding. Bit meh ... until level 6. Now an unstoppable death machine.
3. Half-Salamander (Coldbrother) Samurai with a Reach weapon. Big AoE Whirlwind attack for killing smaller low HP enemies easily. Could be switched for another Mantis Gladiator, but then who wears all the armor we find?
4. Human Bishop (+2 CHA/WIS) with Aberration / Turning. Aberration to carry early, and Turning to be useful when out of spells. Turning is not bad with 20 CHA. Not great, but better than melee by far. Took Reach domain at 5.
5. Human Psion. Mandatory.
6. Elf Wizard with max Int (20.) Important to make all the Search checks without a rogue, and mage spells are critical.

Everyone has Improved Initiative and Lightning Reflexes (big help with webs and all the bullshit) and all casters have Extended Range 3.

Big lesson I learned from earlier party: giving everyone Die Hard + Toughness is overkill. Yes, you will die a lot... but you will die a lot no matter what. Just tough it out.
I understand making a hardcore game balanced towards people that play like that, especially since this isn't a game made for the average BioWare fan, but I wonder how this will affect future modules, both by Pierre and by players.

The editor doesn't allow you to customize classes, races or add module limitations, so every module will have to be created considering some people will have a Mantis Gladiator with 24 AC on Lv 1...
there will probably be some balance fixes, or perhaps Pierre could allow module makers to actually mess with class/races/limitations (which I would prefer)

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is there any dedicated ranged class except the Ranger?
Not currently, unless you include clerics with the Hunting domain. An arcane archer option for the Mage Knight is supposed to be added later.

Latro

Arcane
Is there any dedicated ranged class except the Ranger?
I suspect Bard with ranged stuff is probably pretty good. He only needs a few feats (+2 bard songs a day, sickening pipes, armoured musician + med armor prof.) and then you can invest the rest in ranged stuff. Give him weapon finesse and can probably switch to duel wielding on the fly.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Hmmm let's see, to the south is a black dragon wizard who's almost untouchable and ruins my shit in a few turns so lets try the north. Two clusters of mages and archers on the towers, got them after a few tries so let's see what's in the back.

An ancient white dragon with a frost giant jarl backed by giant sorcerers, psions, and clerics....

Noddy

Augur
This death snare fight lmao
This demon has 15/dr good and all my weapon enchantments are disabled, including any i buff on during the fight
9% chance to banish and it's it my best fucking odds of winning JESUS

Mortmal

Arcane
Hmmm let's see, to the south is a black dragon wizard who's almost untouchable and ruins my shit in a few turns so lets try the north. Two clusters of mages and archers on the towers, got them after a few tries so let's see what's in the back.

An ancient white dragon with a frost giant jarl backed by giant sorcerers, psions, and clerics....

Did you skip rooms in chapter 3 ? Seems 2 campfire + the genie refresh not nearly enough to clear all of that, specially when their slay living spells and petrification land all the time.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Looks like the options on the assault are mixed up, picking the option to skip the surprise round gives you control, but the end result is still the same, the entire party is wiped out in the first round. All your enemies are spread out so there's no tornado blasting these guys, even if I had the ability to do so and they all have accelerated spells and or celerity. At best I might buy some time if I win initiative and use mass mirror image, but the spells they're tossing out makes the point moot. I'm pretty sure there's no alternate route in either, you're suppose to do this, the rest of the crap outside the castle is just suppose to be gravy, something to top off your levels with, there's some scrolls in the back with the white dragon, but you're not getting to them.

Party is all around 15-14, this area feels like it was meant for 19-20 or even higher. I skipped exactly one encounter, the secret room full of undead because it was next to impossible to clear, in the end that XP would just be a drop in the bucket and the odds of everyone surviving are practically nill.

So at this point I think I can finally say yes, this is impossible to complete in its current state and makes me wonder if Pierre actually thought anyone was going to get this far before giving up.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Did you skip rooms in chapter 3 ? Seems 2 campfire + the genie refresh not nearly enough to clear all of that, specially when their slay living spells and petrification land all the time.

Just the one secret undead room. There's no possible way you can clear all the crap around the castle, even if you get perfect rolls they're going to wreck you, same with the black dragon wizard.

Mortmal

Arcane

Just the one secret undead room. There's no possible way you can clear all the crap around the castle, even if you get perfect rolls they're going to wreck you, same with the black dragon wizard.
Pierre has some explaining to do, i'd like to know what kind of party he was using when he tested the module. Chapter 1-2 wont be passed by 99% of steam users , chapter 3 by 99.99% and 4 no one . Still i'd like a big campaign with more reasonable encounters and an overland map like champion of krynn done with KOTC 2 editor, gold box style(no remakes please) games thats professional work i'd gladly pay for . The underlying mechanisms are perfect the game is ton of fun still , the character creation , exceptional , the AI fantastic , just the module balance and item availability is underwhelming.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pierre has some explaining to do, i'd like to know what kind of party he was using when he tested the module. Chapter 1-2 wont be passed by 99% of steam users , chapter 3 by 99.99% and 4 no one . Still i'd like a big campaign with more reasonable encounters and an overland map like champion of krynn done with KOTC 2 editor, gold box style(no remakes please) games thats professional work i'd gladly pay for . The underlying mechanisms are perfect the game is ton of fun still , the character creation , exceptional , the AI fantastic , just the module balance and item availability is underwhelming.

Yeah, there's absolutely no possible way your average player is going to come close to getting past chapter 2 and even if they luck out the demon room will end them for good and keep in mind I've been running a meme party this whole time. I don't mind it being short and sweet, thought I hope we'll get something more like the gold box and KotC 1 later. I think you could counterbalance some of the problems in the module by handing out bigger XP bonuses for clearing the battles.

Pierre "I played through the entire campaign without issues" Beguette

LIES!

Noddy

Augur
THIS IS THE DUMBEST FIGHT IN THE GAME WTF

No weapon enchantments
No five foot steps
No aoo's
Only for you though, enemies glide around like fucking ballerinas
Everyone body gets SR and the demon and boss caster get it at 30
The demon is de facto immune to melee attacks and has force retaliation anyway
The caster has fucking mirror image and im getting 20% chance to hit
Oh and theres poison gas doing d4 con damage every round

I have 0 idea of what to do
All the other times this game was raping me i could knida see how it was my fault for what i was wearing and if i just dressed appropiately i could get passed them. This fight is following me home and chaining me to the radiator.
HOLY FUCKING AUTISM PIERRE

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just use a party of all undead or constructs. Get good.

I've done it... the Green+Blue/Grey goblins lay dead. What's the reward for such an incredible feat?

Fucking Nothing and you can't rest anymore.

To help you decide, here is what you get for each side:

Help Green:
40K gold
+4 STR +4 DEX belt
Fire retaliation cloak
1/2 spell slot belt
gems

Help Blue:
50K gold
globe of invulnerability cloak
fear immunity ring
gems

Gold rewards double if you fight without help.

I suggest helping the Blues unless you need one of those items, because if you fight for blue, you can then still get the Goblin King fight. (More XP)

If you do help Green, you can still rest.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Help Green:
40K gold
+4 STR +4 DEX belt
Fire retaliation cloak
1/2 spell slot belt
gems

Help Blue:
50K gold
fear immunity ring
gems
Does helping green give you any rest area?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron

No weapon enchantments
No five foot steps
No aoo's

All the other times this game was raping me i could knida see how it was my fault for what i was wearing and if i just dressed appropiately i could get passed them. This fight is following me home and chaining me to the radiator.

You get a scroll of mass protect from attribute damage, try that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture

Help Green:
40K gold
+4 STR +4 DEX belt
Fire retaliation cloak
1/2 spell slot belt
gems

Help Blue:
50K gold
fear immunity ring
gems
Does helping green give you any rest area?
Yes, you can still rest... in fact Pierre just gives you the same dialogue as when you talk to the elder, except you get it when talking to King Tribulus. It's janky.

Also can we talk about how EASY it is to help one side without goblin help? After fucking 5 hours of the stupid fight crashing at the end, I have gotten so good I can wipe those goblins without using any scrolls.
Chaos, Confusion, Holy Word, Sirocco, all still intact.

Mortmal

Arcane

No weapon enchantments
No five foot steps
No aoo's

Chapter 3 ?

Noddy

Augur
Chapter 3 ?
Yeah. If i lower this fuckers SR i can get a 30% chance to banish. Unfortunately everyone in this room can reach to the fucking moon and has greater trip so you have to keep rolling on concentration checks.
Eventually this will work but it's gonna take so much fucking luck.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
This is Pierre, creating the module :

Ao-F-3-C-ent.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom