Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The day has come - Bethesda wants to revive another classic

Liberal

Barely Literate
Ultima?

Somehow I don't see a game named "Ultima" being released in 2009, with Bethesda logo on it.

Fallout was pretty obscure in mainstream gaming community as well, so it's no argument against Arcanum.

Witchblade

Scholar
My first thought was also Ps:Torment, but I think it would be too difficult for them to get the franchise going again.

My next thought was something like Ultima or Lands of Lore, but Annie might be right about EA and Ultima.

I doubt they'll do LOL or anything that close fantasywise to TES, as apparently they're already working on a TES 5.

Thief and VtM I think are good contenders, - Bhetesda always manages to throw thievery and vampirism into their games, somehow. They even managed to throw a vampire themed quest into Fallout 3.

If they did a System Shock 3, that would create healthy variety in their current little bouquet of settings/themes, and Bioshock's success, might just have made them smell blood..

Angthoron

Arcane
Bethsoft's equivalent of Codex's trolling at the ESF, reviving classic RPG titles.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
Witchblade said:
My first thought was also Ps:Torment, but I think it would be too difficult for them to get the franchise going again.

My next thought was something like Ultima or Lands of Lore, but Annie might be right about EA and Ultima.

I doubt they'll do LOL or anything that close fantasywise to TES, as apparently they're already working on a TES 5.

Thief and VtM I think are good contenders, - Bhetesda always manages to throw thievery and vampirism into their games, somehow. They even managed to throw a vampire themed quest into Fallout 3.

If they did a System Shock 3, that would create healthy variety in their current little bouquet of settings/themes, and Bioshock's success, might just have made them smell blood..

I hate to repeat myself, so listen closely: Eidos Montreal is already working on Thief 4. It is almost guaranteed, based on the hints they have been dropping. System Shock 3 is a definitely contender, though, I will admit that.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
There is, of course, the possiblility that part of the meaning behind the statement was somewhat lost in translation. Really it could mean one of two things:

"We don't regret buying Fallout3 and, in a hypothetical situation were we given the opportunity to revive another franchise, would do the same again."

"We have bought a new franchise and are excitedely working on bringing into the 21st century. Blah blah blah, epic explosions, blah blah blah, Sir Ian McKellen"

As boring as it seems, the first is probably more likely. There's been no announcment of the transfer of any IPs, as usually happens in these circumstances and as happened with Fallout.

Witchblade

Scholar
ArcturusXIV said:
I hate to repeat myself, so listen closely: Eidos Montreal is already working on Thief 4. It is almost guaranteed, based on the hints they have been dropping. System Shock 3 is a definitely contender, though, I will admit that.

Yeah, ok - almost is almost, but almost is not quite.
Anyway, before I read what you said, I thought that Thief is just so right for Bethesda. (On second thoughts maybe not enough big gunz there :P )

Anyway, I think someone has by now raised an objection for every single game we have managed to come up with.

Maybe Bluebottle is correct with this:
There is, of course, the possiblility that part of the meaning behind the statement was somewhat lost in translation. Really it could mean one of two things:

"We don't regret buying Fallout3 and, in a hypothetical situation were we given the opportunity to revive another franchise, would do the same again."

Maybe we are just wasting our time with this long list of "maybe's".... :?

Imbecile

Arbiter
I actually wouldn't object to Bethesda trying to tackle Thief 4, I reckon they might be able to make a reasonable stab at it, as a few light RPG elements and an open world would probably take the franchise in a direction that I like.

Edit: Just used my mad reading skillz, guess this unlikely.

Liberal

Barely Literate
Bethiefsda said:
Guard1: Saw a rat once, as big as a dog.
Guard2: Horrible things.
Guard3: I avoid them whenever I can.

HammeritePriest: Thou shalt not speakest such rot!

KeeperElder: You're the one from my glyphs...

Mission Objective: Follow the white bunny compass...

New Garret Ability: Automatic lootpicker. All the player has left to pick now is his nose.

Witchblade

Scholar
Liberal said:
Bethiefsda said:
Guard1: Saw a rat once, as big as a dog.
Guard2: Horrible things.
Guard3: I avoid them whenever I can.

HammeritePriest: Thou shalt not speakest such rot!

KeeperElder: You're the one from my glyphs...

Mission Objective: Follow the white bunny compass...

New Garret Ability: Automatic lootpicker. All the player has left to pick now is his nose.

Yeah...
Or how about: R-click for the 400- hour FMV to continue..

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Since Bethesda specializes in sequels, and Fuckout 3 has taught them that third time is a charm, they will probably rape the corpse of Jagged Alliance ("Torr Howard proudly presents Jagged Alliance 3, a next-gen X-brick game, in 3d, featuring action based real time combat with exploding heads and bloom").

Risine

Liturgist
Come on Betesdha, FPS genre is far more profitable than RPGs, just ask your marketing guys. Leave RPG's in peace, dead they are, and just get fps well-known licences to make an all-new ( but massmarket of course ) FPS. Another advantage, no more RPG lovers assholes to complain about what you do.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Risine said:
Come on Betesdha, FPS genre is far more profitable than RPGs, just ask your marketing guys. Leave RPG's in peace, dead they are, and just get fps well-known licences to make an all-new ( but massmarket of course ) FPS. Another advantage, no more RPG lovers assholes to complain about what you do.

Why would they?
Mainstream cRPG players actually give them so much money, why sould they now risk changing into the FPS market? I mean: Oblivion and FO3 are both FPS and RPG (I'm not talking about quality, though) and there is high chance people who love RPG or FPS will buy it. It doesn't matter that some small groups won't like it.

Actually I think Bethesda has a one good side: they know how to hype and it's not their flaw but advantage.

Delirious Nomad

Scholar
It's Bethesda, so it has to be painful. M&M, Wizardry wouldn't be hurting enough, so they must be shooting for: Monkey Island with sandbox gameplay like sea dogs/ age of pirates.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Besides, checking their animation and engine - they probably cant compete with major FPS gods like Crytek/Id and whatnot. Could be embarassing. I think making FPS-themed RPG is their excuse for being suckage. You know, all teh numbers prevent them from making high-tech grafikz.

Risine

Liturgist
they probably cant compete with major FPS gods like Crytek/Id and whatnot. Could be embarassing

Do you mean they sell and are judged upon quality in RPG field?

Suchy

Arcane
I'd vote for Ultima. Actually I hope it's Ultima, coz whatever they do, it won't be worse than U9.

Ultima Underworld however...

made

Arcane
There's not much left for Bethesda to rape after what EA has done to the setting in various UO expansions, anyway.

Durwyn

Prophet
Delirious Nomad said:
It's Bethesda, so it has to be painful. M&M, Wizardry wouldn't be hurting enough, so they must be shooting for: Monkey Island with sandbox gameplay like sea dogs/ age of pirates.

Becouse RPG to me is sailing on a ship and killing things ? Arrrrrrr

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom