Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Fallout 4 - essential mods

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I was watching LGR on FA4 and I noticed.... its just a shooter. VATS gives you bullet-time essentually? There are like 6 add-on packs? I guess you pay for each? Is this game like a steam-client in that I have to be online to even load and play or just to install?

I get the feeling to just avoid it.

It's got much better shooting than 3, at any rate. It's still not Far Cry but it's getting there if they go much further in simplifying it. It's a normal Steam game, not an online service. Are you thinking of Fallout 76? The expansion is actually some of the best stuff in the game, forget the name. The smaller DLCs are meh.

Funposter

Arcane
The unfortunate truth is that that actual "game" underneath is so barebones that no amount of modding can fix it, or really make it at all that interesting. It is somehow inferior to even Skyrim in this regard. The quality of the combat is better than any previous Bethesda game, but the variety in which you can approach situations is really so restrictive that there's no point, and it doesn't have the breadth of mods which Skyrim does after nearly a decade as one of the most popular PC games of all time. I can really only recommend it if you want to do tacticool LARPing on account of all the high quality weapon mods, but even then they're a pain to install because very little of the best mods have been put into mod packs.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, it seems like weapon and power armor customization is big. Does FO4 have more base building and crafting or scavenging than before? I've been on the fence for Skyrim as well. With the latest Morrowind enhancement by modding community I almost feel meh about that as well.

Eastwood

Educated
Yeah, it seems like weapon and power armor customization is big. Does FO4 have more base building and crafting or scavenging than before? I've been on the fence for Skyrim as well. With the latest Morrowind enhancement by modding community I almost feel meh about that as well.

Base building is clunky and completely pointless. They should rather have invested those development resources into making more than one fucking city.
As an RPG Fallout 4 completely fails, however it can be an ok looter shooter for a few hours, if you ignore the story. But at that point you might as well play Borderlands.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, these steam summer sale had a bundled bundle of Skyrim and Fo4. For the price; I figured "why the hell not." I think my Dad would be interested in it since he liked FO3.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I don't recommend any mods for first-timers to Fallout 4.
If you want a challenge use the official Survival difficulty since it introduces beds as save points and stims that heal over time.

If you feel the world is too generous with resources, then maybe you should find those scarcity mods that change the world loot table.

The modding scene of F4 is nauseating, but I was extremely bored at the time so I did try... Installed the horizon overhaul, full dialog interface, various other gameplay immersion mods, as well as some graphic mods to make the game feel less like hello kitty and started the game on survival.

Full dialog interface makes things even worse because the writing is cringy AF and most times you can only choose to say the exact same thing just in a differently retarded kind of way - pardon my language. Horizon improved gameplay a lot, but it couldn't do anything about the game being filled with crappy quests, or horrendous level design. It kind of improved character development too adding some pseudo-skills, but shit still tastes like shit even whipped cream on top of it. So yes, the only mod you need is uninstall.exe.

I'm trying Horizons at the moment and can confirm it's not going to be palatable to newcomers because it's just too focused on crafting. The first two hours I was trapped in this 'loot-scrap-net loss' cycle then realized this is all just fabricated struggle because I'm forever stuck in noob area with no access to store vendors.

Last edited:

dalnioam

Novice
What about this one?
43417-1582280367-1000339082.jpeg

Funposter

Arcane

I think the base building is expanded upon a lot with some of the big settlement mods - my problem is that it was still impossible to fix problems with the base game relating to it. For instance, there STILL isn't a mod with properly restores the roofs in Sanctuary without breaking AI pathing etc. despite that being one of the first things you would OBVIOUSLY do if you were going to move into these building on a permanent basis. A lot of incompatibility too - Sim Settlements reportedly had a tendency to shit itself if you modified any of the vanilla settlement stuff, since it relied so heavily on the vanilla assets being unmodified.

RK47

Patron
I don't think it's even an issue unless you keep playing the game in third person for vanity camera.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Good thing to do when you have base game and all dlc's is to make one complete walkthrough,
without mods even Sim Settlements, without that nexus shit vortex ,
and at the end of the day feel empty, dirty, bored to death ,
come back to Codex to be smashed even more by all degenerates that dwells here.

Funposter

Arcane
I don't think it's even an issue unless you keep playing the game in third person for vanity camera.
I tend to switch between third and first person if I'm just wandering around the overworld, so I will admit that when I first installed FO4 earlier this year I was totally shocked that it wasn't a feature by default. It had been a feature in Bethesda games since Oblivion, for goodness' sake.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Wonder how long it will them take for two holstered weapons in this game. :lol:

Meanwhile in NV
KFJqyRu.jpg

Wunderbar

Arcane
Probably has something to do with the new modular system where each gun is a compilation of weapon parts and attachments.

Funposter

Arcane
Wonder how long it will them take for two holstered weapons in this game. :lol:

Meanwhile in NV
Probably has something to do with the new modular system where each gun is a compilation of weapon parts and attachments.

iirc, it's actually to do with the animations being more complex, so it's not quite so easy to just stick the model on the character's back. The modification system is probably partially responsible too, though. There had been attempts to make it work previously, but the model would often lag behind the character/not be properly attached etc.

RK47

Patron
They really need to trim these 'overhaul' mods a bit.
I like bits n pieces of Horizons where they made healing not that cheap.
Bandages are out of combat only.
Combat stims are expensive.
Ammo is scarce.

Settlement crap, not so much. The settlement needing you to babysit just puts Preston and gang in a very sad light. :lol:
Clean food & drink needing extra resource (somewhat rarer) is ok... but I decided it's not worth the hassle and just went straight for cannibal perk.

20200710215757_1.jpg

Yosharian

Arcane
So the Cannibal perk is actually worth something, I'd say the mod is doing it's job

I agree Horizon does suffer from feature creep though

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom